Marathon Weekend 2020

Morning,

@DopeyBadger and @StarGirl11

Thanks so much for the advice. I know it's a bit late to be looking for accommodation. My travel agent found some good deals inside so I will book that. In South Africa you can enter most races on the morning of the race (and they only cost about $20 for a regular marathon) so I guess I just got used to never needing to plan very far ahead.

I hope your training goes well. Really looking forward to the race.

Would anyone who has been to a RunDisney race before be willing to answer a newbie question? What kind of food do they sell prerace? Can you use your Magic Band? At the value resorts, the toaster is outside the actual food area - am I wrong to assume I can toast a bagel before I get on a bus? (I plan on bringing bagels and cream cheese. But am also trying to prepare if all else fails and I need to eat at the race). I'm trying to nail down my race morning meal now so I can tweak it during training.

Morning,

Thanks so much for the advice. I know it's a bit late to be looking for accommodation. My travel agent found some good deals inside so I will book that. In South Africa you can enter most races on the morning of the race (and they only cost about $20 for a regular marathon) so I guess I just got used to never needing to plan very far ahead.

Don’t get me wrong there ARE races I can go sign up for the morning of. But those are much smaller then runDisney. For future reference if your traveling for a large race with several thousand plus runners you can’t wait until last minute to book hotels.

Would anyone who has been to a RunDisney race before be willing to answer a newbie question? What kind of food do they sell prerace? Can you use your Magic Band? At the value resorts, the toaster is outside the actual food area - am I wrong to assume I can toast a bagel before I get on a bus? (I plan on bringing bagels and cream cheese. But am also trying to prepare if all else fails and I need to eat at the race). I'm trying to nail down my race morning meal now so I can tweak it during training.
Pre-race they usually have food trucks but that can vary from race to race so I wouldn’t rely on that.

Value resorts have tended to open their food courts early for runners to get basic things like coffee and what not but again this varies as well. You won’t know for sure on this until you are actually there.

There is a food tent that you can purchase coffee, muffins, breakfast sandwiches, bagels (I think!), granola bars, apples and bananas. They accept Magic Band. Depending on what time you get there, expect a 20 - 30 minute wait.
There is also a Joffrey's truck that only sells coffee and you cannot use your Magic Band.

Morning,

I hope you find good accommodations. Welcome to Disboards! I think you will really enjoy the Disney Marathon, and have a great experience. Please ask any questions you have here, and we’ll certainly try to help answer them. This race may be different than what you’re used to there, but I think you’ll love it!

Morning,

You'll love these races! Welcome to the boards.

I stayed at an All Star and Dolphin before and both had boxed breakfasts you could get the night before that included bagel, banana and a few other things I can't remember. All Start had free coffee for runners.

SAFD: Very late for the recent SAFD. Anyway, first of all, I am very thankful that I am able to run and enjoy it!
Another thing I am also very thankful for, my girlfriend accepting my running and tolerates my recent amount of training for Dopey.
In the end, I am happy that I found these boards, I got so much information, found someone who writes my Trainingplans and answers all my "stupid" questions :-) Hope to meet some of you in person, even if I am not a very active writer here.

Don’t get me wrong there ARE races I can go sign up for the morning of. But those are much smaller then runDisney. For future reference if your traveling for a large race with several thousand plus runners you can’t wait until last minute to book hotels.
For what it’s worth, I fully understand why @frogfeet waited. I made a spontaneous trip to South Africa a few years ago (I know, very airline employee thing to say) and I was surprised when I saw signs for the Cape Town Marathon expo while I was walking around the city. I walked right in and signed up for the 10K the following morning. Despite the fact that it’s a huge event, I had no trouble finding affordable lodging at the last minute within walking distance of the start, before I even knew the marathon was taking place.

Happy Thanksgiving, only a little late. Wow, only 39 days! It’s getting real now. I’m halfway through my first simulated Dopey with 4 Thurs, 6 Fri, 10 today, and 20 tomorrow. Hopefully get it in before the 12” of snow headed our way. So far so good, it’s feels like I’m ready, knock on wood. How is everyone’s training? Hoping everyone is injury free and hitting their goals.

Happy Thanksgiving, only a little late. Wow, only 39 days! It’s getting real now. I’m halfway through my first simulated Dopey with 4 Thurs, 6 Fri, 10 today, and 20 tomorrow. Hopefully get it in before the 12” of snow headed our way. So far so good, it’s feels like I’m ready, knock on wood. How is everyone’s training? Hoping everyone is injury free and hitting their goals.

we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow too. Got my long run (12 miles) into today and hoping the snow is gone by my next long run next weekend!

Training is going well - haven’t missed a run. Feeling a bit nervous about 26.2 but trying to trust the training!

Training is going well here, too. Just ramping up from my marathon at the beginning of the month and then tapering again for disney. Short program this time.

I have 9 scheduled for the morning, but we are supposed to have an ice storm tonight. I might end up on the treadmill. Blech. Might split it 5/4 if I do because that thing is seriously boring. Plus it is in my basement. Next to my wood burner. It is a million degrees. Good simulation if disney is scorching hot though! 😓

Training is going well here too. I'm following a hybrid version of the Pfitz/55 and Pfitz/70 plans, so I'm averaging about 60 mpw now. I pushed my 20 miler last week to this past Monday to take advantage of the 20 degree drop in temps -- 48 degrees was much better than 68. On the down side, this week has been a little extra intense:

Monday: 20 miles
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 5 miles (recovery/easy)
Thursday (Thanksgiving): 12 miles w/ 6 @ marathon pace
Friday: 5 miles (tempo)
Saturday: 9 miles
Sunday: 17 miles are planned (in 65 degrees)

6 weeks to go! :-)

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! Who feels like going to Disney World next month and maybe running a few races?

Looks like folks are already talking about training, so let's make it official. This week's Sundays are for Disney is a training checking. How are things going? Who wants to brag about some successful runs? Who needs a pick-me-up?

My training has been fine. I haven't been getting out quite as much as I should, but when I do, my runs are going fine. I had a successful 15-mile last Sunday and this Sunday is a low-mileage run. I'm feeling good about running Oswald + Goofy next month.

Have a great week, everyone!

Training is going much better for me. I’m doing Dopey and was having serious doubts as recently as a month ago even though I’ve done it before. I’m using a @DopeyBadger plan and the low mileage had me super nervous but he helped calm my nerves and I’m feeling much better.
I told my DH the other day that if this plan works, which I’m sure it will, I’ll want to do the full every year, since I really like the course, I just hate the 20 mile runs the other plans call for.

Haha I am NOT injury free and training is NOT going well! I acquired an ankle injury 2 weeks ago really out of nowhere. I never rolled it, or even had pain prior to the run when it really started hurting and I couldn't cover 2 miles within a week of that. My doctor ordered an x-ray (no fracture) and said stay off it til you're pain-free. I'm almost there and ready to test the waters. I've been riding a stationary bike but a) it's . a recumbent and b) I hate the bike so not going HAM like I should.

The good news is that this really, truly commits me to the original idea when I signed up for Goofy: No expectations of a PR in either race, just do it for fun. Prior to this blowup my training was going so well that I was starting to consider really going for it in the marathon. I hadn't missed a single run or even a single pace for an interval on a single run. I swear to goodness I had a dream the night before I got injured, that I was running the marathon and I looked at my watch and it was mile 23 and it was clear I was going to get a PR by a lot. Then suddenly the course marshals started pulling all of us off the course saying a parade was coming through and we had to wait until it passed. I watched my PR slip away. Talk about a premonition!

Hope everybody else is getting on swimmingly! I'll see you all there one way or another!

SAFD
I’m using a @DopeyBadger plan and the low mileage had me super nervous but he helped calm my nerves and I’m feeling much better.
Same here :-) There are some runs, I feel good, but after some more Miles, I ask myself, how should I do 26 Miles :-)

Anyway, training is going well. Some rough peak weeks are waiting for me in December.

Besides training, we finished planning our Marathon Weekend Trip. My girlfriend made a great Hotwire deal. For the first three nights, we are staying at the Hilton Buena Vista Palace at Disney Springs.

Does anyone have a bit of helpful advice, where I can run there? I found some older information about some shorter Trails online. The longest run at that time is like 6 Miles.

This week's Sundays are for Disney is a training checking. How are things going? Who wants to brag about some successful runs? Who needs a pick-me-up?
Overall, my training has been going well! Marathon training is a little easier the second time around. I know what to expect and know I can do it. (I’m hoping the actual race feels the same.)

Due to Wine & Dine I had to flip weeks 8 and 9 which meant I returned home to three weeks of increasing mileage in a row. That third week was also my peek mileage week (for the week overall, not my peak long run...) I was really feeling the cumulative fatigue! I went easy on myself in terms of pace and got through it. This week has been my step back week and it has felt great!

Looking ahead, I have my first of two 20-milers on 12/8, a half marathon (that I am treating as a training run) on 12/14 and my final 20-miler on 12/22. Then it’s a 3-week taper! The marathon training finish line is in site!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter