Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD - goals! I'm registered for "just" the marathon, and it's my first. So my goals are....

1. Do the training consistently so I'm ready both physically and mentally
2. Make a costume I don't hate wearing
3. Finish the marathon and don't get swept

Being realistic with myself, I'm probably not going to have time to stop for photos, let alone rides. Last time I was actually on track in my marathon training (leading up to the cancelled 2021 MW) I was expecting to juuuust squeak in under the pace requirement in the marathon. Odds are I'll become acquainted with the balloon ladies; unless I get a lot faster than I'm expecting the plan is to just plod along at pace without stopping for anything but water and toilets in order to avoid them catching me up.

SAFD Goals:
1) Participate on these wonderful, helpful, supportive boards.
2) Finish! I did it in 2018, but not in 2019, 2020, and 2022.
3) Help DH train for his first Dopey finish. He’s watched my attempts and finally got the bug himself.
4) Find some sort of strength/core training to supplement running. I think that’s what got me this year.
5) Get to the race weekend meetups.

SAFD: I'm registered solely* for the Half in 2023. My goal is to beat the Balloon Ladies, while also stopping for every character interaction and photo op I feel like! I ran the Full in 2022, and I was so focused on my time goal (sub-6:00:00) that I didn't stop for a single photo (and I still missed my goal). I had SO MUCH FUN at the ToT Ten Miler this spring stopping for all the photos I want, that I vowed I'll never set a time goal at runDisney again (unless it's literally to beat the Balloon Ladies, because I do love my finish lines).

* You'll notice I didn't say "just" for the Half. Because a Half is 13.1 whole freaking miles!

SAFD: I'm registered solely* for the Half in 2023. My goal is to beat the Balloon Ladies, while also stopping for every character interaction and photo op I feel like! I ran the Full in 2022, and I was so focused on my time goal (sub-6:00:00) that I didn't stop for a single photo (and I still missed my goal). I had SO MUCH FUN at the ToT Ten Miler this spring stopping for all the photos I want, that I vowed I'll never set a time goal at runDisney again (unless it's literally to beat the Balloon Ladies, because I do love my finish lines).

* You'll notice I didn't say "just" for the Half. Because a Half is 13.1 whole freaking miles!
I completely agree with you about not setting time goals. I want to finish on my feet and not be too worried about time to stop and appreciate the environment around me.

SAFD:

Registered for my first marathon after having to cancel when 2021 went virtual. These boards have been so helpful over the years, and now that registration is official, I hope to participate more instead of just lurking!

My only goal is to stick with training so I can finish upright while having as much fun as possible and celebrate in the parks afterwards!

SAFD
In for Dopey #3, most likely with the usual goal of staying injury free and beating my previous Disney marathon time, though that usually comes at a cost of slowing down in the 10 and half so I may set a harder goal being that I am very self-competitive
5K sub :25
10K sub 1
Half sub 2
Full sub 4

Or I’m thinking go for a PR in the half and then enjoy the full stopping at all the rare photo ops that I don’t get when I run for time. Probably make the decision after W&D

SAFD: honestly, my only "goal" this time is to deal with whatever happens with this race weekend. I've got a medical "thing" in limbo and won't know if it will be life-altering or absolutely nothing until mid-summer at the earliest, so I went ahead and registered, hoping for the best, but knowing there's a possibility I may not be able to train long distance, or at all. Or I may pull off the best training in my life. Anyone's guess as of now!

SAFD: honestly, my only "goal" this time is to deal with whatever happens with this race weekend. I've got a medical "thing" in limbo and won't know if it will be life-altering or absolutely nothing until mid-summer at the earliest, so I went ahead and registered, hoping for the best, but knowing there's a possibility I may not be able to train long distance, or at all. Or I may pull off the best training in my life. Anyone's guess as of now!
Sending good vibes for the "absolutely nothing" and "best training" options!

*peeps head back in after a long hiatus*

SAFD: Well, I guess I am officially doing this. I signed up for the full, it will be my fifth full but first one since March 2020 when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I now have a rambunctious 18 month old son who keeps me on my toes who will be making the trip with me so while I considered Dopey I knew that wouldn't work for us. Coming back postpartum has been more challenging to schedule longer runs, but I'm hoping to figure it out and get it done. My goals will be to finish stronger than my last Disney full in 2018 where I had some bad IT band issues. I'd love to PR (3:59), but I am trying to be realistic with my current season of life.

So I'm booked for Dopey but was also thinking of signing up for the Disney Wish cruise right after the races. However, it looks like the Castaway Cay 5K is already sold out? Has it sold out in previous years? What are the chances they will open up more slots for the Castaway Cay 5K?

So I'm booked for Dopey but was also thinking of signing up for the Disney Wish cruise right after the races. However, it looks like the Castaway Cay 5K is already sold out? Has it sold out in previous years? What are the chances they will open up more slots for the Castaway Cay 5K?
I don't think it's normal for it to sell out. It's very surprising that it did. I don't know if space was very limited or it's just that popular this year.

Last edited:
Costume brainstorming/planning is definitely more important than figuring out a training plan, right?

Right.

Good.

Also, for anyone that's interested, I called WDW yesterday about a couple of nights at ASMo and AOA-LM and it was about $150/nt for Movies and about $200/nt for AoA. (Plus $15/nt parking if you drive/rent a car.) It'll probably be a little bit more per night once the race weekend hits, but for anyone who was spitballing costs, there's an idea for you at the values.

*peeps head back in after a long hiatus*

SAFD: Well, I guess I am officially doing this. I signed up for the full, it will be my fifth full but first one since March 2020 when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I now have a rambunctious 18 month old son who keeps me on my toes who will be making the trip with me so while I considered Dopey I knew that wouldn't work for us. Coming back postpartum has been more challenging to schedule longer runs, but I'm hoping to figure it out and get it done. My goals will be to finish stronger than my last Disney full in 2018 where I had some bad IT band issues. I'd love to PR (3:59), but I am trying to be realistic with my current season of life.
Welcome back!

Keep in mind that it's not the Castaway Cay 5K that is sold out, but the Castaway Cay Challenge. FWIW, you can still do the Castaway Cay 5K but you can't get the Challenge medal...at least at this time.

OK - To all my fellow Marathon Weekend conspiracy theorists. It has now been a week since the registration debacle. Do any of us find it odd that there has yet to be one peep from anyone on here or the other social media groups/outlets about any of the races opening up - even for a few minutes?? Usually by now there would be a few "Hey, the 5K is open" or "the Full is open", etc. and then it is gone almost as soon as it opened. But I find it interesting that we haven't seen any posts about any of the races being open at all. Thoughts?

OK - To all my fellow Marathon Weekend conspiracy theorists. It has now been a week since the registration debacle. Do any of us find it odd that there has yet to be one peep from anyone on here or the other social media groups/outlets about any of the races opening up - even for a few minutes??

Absolutely! I was just saying this to someone yesterday.

But I find it interesting that we haven't seen any posts about any of the races being open at all. Thoughts?

I'm kind of waiting to see what happens when the Club runDisney memberships open up again next week. That could be telling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter