• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: Another Satuli fan - Love getting the salad base with the tofu - sometimes finding a vegetable at WDW feels like a challenge, and this is one of the few healthy, tasty options on property.
Also - recently discovered an amazing salad at the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary resort. I really don't like the QS options at MK, so last time I was there I hopped on the monorail and found a wonderful and filling salad at the CR! Here's the description from the website:

Kale Power Greens Salad​

Greens, Farro Wheat, Quinoa, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Avocado, Pickled Onions, Toasted Garbanzos, Lime Vinaigrette

Thanks for the reminder about proof of time! I have read @DopeyBadger's post on POT but I am still not sure which one to enter because my brain isn't fully awake yet. I have a 1:47 half and a 3:59 marathon. I assume the half time would be better, but since I am running the full I wasn't sure. Anyone have any advice?

SAFD: Another Satuli fan - Love getting the salad base with the tofu - sometimes finding a vegetable at WDW feels like a challenge, and this is one of the few healthy, tasty options on property.
Also - recently discovered an amazing salad at the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary resort. I really don't like the QS options at MK, so last time I was there I hopped on the monorail and found a wonderful and filling salad at the CR! Here's the description from the website:

Kale Power Greens Salad​

Greens, Farro Wheat, Quinoa, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Avocado, Pickled Onions, Toasted Garbanzos, Lime Vinaigrette
SO true! I'm not vegan or vegetarian but there have been many times I get home from Disney and I crave salads.

Thanks for the reminder about proof of time! I have read @DopeyBadger's post on POT but I am still not sure which one to enter because my brain isn't fully awake yet. I have a 1:47 half and a 3:59 marathon. I assume the half time would be better, but since I am running the full I wasn't sure. Anyone have any advice?

Hi all,

I figured runners of all the different runDisney races would be interested in the following information. We do now have confirmed cutoffs for the 2022-2023 POT season as it has been set at 2:15 hours for HM POT and 4:30 hours for M POT.

Based on the move to a 2:15 HM cutoff for HM events and 4:30 M cutoff for M/Goofy/Dopey.

View attachment 670059

The pink values are the times runDisney had previously confirmed during the 2021-2022 racing season as the race equivalents of a 4:00 M and 2:00 HM. I have no reason to believe these values will deviate much from our previous confirmation. The orange values were the new cutoffs provided to me as estimates/rounded. They are all reasonably close to what I had calculated prior based on the previous estimated Riegel R values. The biggest difference was the 4:52 marathon equivalent to the 2:15 HM which I had a 4:54 (so still close).

Below was my theoretical version prior to getting more concrete values from runDisney. They're still leaving some wiggle room in their language on the most recent confirmation, so I still think these are probably reasonably close to reality.
I'll probably never have a POT to submit, but according to the chart BOTH of your times should get you placed in S2.

I would probably submit the half because its further into the middle of the range for times, but I have no experience (and probably never will!) submitting a POT.

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

@Herding_Cats is correct. Based on past precedence, your HM and M times would both get you into s2. As a marathon runner, you're looking at the top table, and find both a 1:47 HM and a 3:58 fit into the criteria used in the past for s2. If you were a HM solo event runner at marathon weekend (which you're not, but for example), then you'd be looking at the bottom table which shows a 1:47 falls into s1.

1663852943234.png

If the corral cutoffs change, or for vanity purposes (faster converted POT get lower bib numbers) the 1:47 HM is the faster of the two based on the conversion runDisney uses. The 1:47 HM is equivalent to a 3:46 M using their conversion. So I would recommend submitting the 1:47 HM for the rundisney marathon POT.

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

@Herding_Cats is correct. Based on past precedence, your HM and M times would both get you into s2. As a marathon runner, you're looking at the top table, and find both a 1:47 HM and a 3:58 fit into the criteria used in the past for s2. If you were a HM solo event runner at marathon weekend (which you're not, but for example), then you'd be looking at the bottom table which shows a 1:47 falls into s1.

View attachment 704167

If the corral cutoffs change, or for vanity purposes (faster converted POT get lower bib numbers) the 1:47 HM is the faster of the two based on the conversion runDisney uses. The 1:47 HM is equivalent to a 3:46 M using their conversion. So I would recommend submitting the 1:47 HM for the rundisney marathon POT.

Thank you so much, as always! That is what I thought but I wanted to double check :)

I'll probably never have a POT to submit, but according to the chart BOTH of your times should get you placed in S2.

I would probably submit the half because its further into the middle of the range for times, but I have no experience (and probably never will!) submitting a POT.
You and me both. Nonetheless, it is nice to dream and train with that goal in mind.

Kale Power Greens Salad​

That salad sounds delicious. It a lot of my favorite foods!!!

I'm currently not a fan of speedwork, which I'm pretty sure would be necessary to take the 2-3min/mi off my pace to be remotely in the vicinity of a POT. :rotfl2:
I have a love/hate relationship with speed work. I’m so anxious before each run and at the end I’m like WTH was my problem? That wasn’t so hard. I have a super duper confidence booster until I see the following week’s plan…..

Kale Power Greens Salad​

That salad sounds delicious. It a lot of my favorite foods!!!

It certainly does sound delicious. Under the right circumstances. They used to have a version of it in the POFQ food court. One Marathon Weekend I thought that sounded like a great choice for my final meal before the marathon. Oops.

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! My morning routine had an exciting moment! Normally the alarm goes off and I head down stairs to press brew (ah, morning coffee…) and flip our Days Until Disney World countdown calendar and today it said…

38F409D6-C121-44DD-805E-A02168A62A40.jpeg

So now Marathon Weekend is begining to feel real! Getting excited! This inspired a question but I had a different question planned to ask today, so I will now ask both, please answer one or both.

Today’s inspired SAFD Question - In picture form share something in your house that makes it clear you are a Disney Fan.

Today’s planned SAFD Question - Have you ever DNF’d (Did Not FinIsh) a race? What happened, what did you take from the experience?

My responses:
Inspired Question - see picture above.
Planned Question - I have DNF’d a race. While I was dealing with my tendon injury back in 2018-2019 I tried to run a 50k that I had been signed up to run. At the time I was building towards an attempt at my first 100 miler. And had some specific pacing plans for the race and running had been going very well but I had developed a continual sore ankle Over the previous month or two. The race was difficult from the start and my ankle flared up and got worse as I progressed. I backed off my pace, shifted into simply finish pace and then just walking until I came into an aid station. By this point it hurt to run, to walk, it hurt simply applying weight. And the pain was different, kind of sharp stabbing pains. So I pulled the plug and bowed out of the race. This was very hard for me to do, ego is powerful. I was worried about what people would think. Ironically, everyone was very kind and encouraging my decision. What I took from the experience was that I needed to listen to my body and not my ego. And that I needed to let go of what others might think. In the end I needed surgery on the tendon and I am sure that had I continued to run it would have fully ruptured at some point, resulting in a much longer recovery than I ended up dealing with. Ego will always be a challenge for me, but I do think I am getting better about focusing on what running means for me and not whether or not others think I am a “good“ runner. But it is a work in progress.

Can't believe we're almost into double digits!!

Inspired SAFD: I'm married to a non-Disney fan so I try to keep most of the stuff relegated to my craft/dressing/etc room, lol. I have a few things downstairs on book cases and stuff but this stuff is probably the most "omg look at what a fan I am" lol.

RunDisney fan:
medals.jpg

Disney in general fan:
ears.jpg

Planned question: I've DNS'd a decent amount of races over the years but I've never DNF'd. I've been having some kind of issue with my foot (I went to the doctor, x-rays are clear, all my tendons felt fine to her, she think it's just a previous injury that gets irritated sometimes so gave me the all clear to keep running using my best judgement) and I just finished my second half in 6 days yesterday. Going into both races I mentally prepared myself that if it started to bother me during the races (it's only hurt during a run once; it's usually after) that I would DNF because there's too much on the line with training for Philly and Dopey to risk it right now. Luckily, no issues though!

SAFD - Planned Question - Yes, I dropped out of the 2011 Long Beach Marathon around the 10K mark. I had a femoral stress fracture which hadn't yet been diagnosed at that point but I could just tell something wasn't right and I needed to stop. My takeaway - there will be other races and sometimes you need to sacrifice a short-term goal for long-term success.

SAFD: DNFs

I have technically DNF’d two races. One was Augusta 70.3 (a triathlon). I actually DID finish this race in that I completed all of it, crossed the finish line, and got my medal. But I was doing so underneath their time limit, and when I was less than a mile from the finish line two race workers came by in a golf cart and took my timing chip from me. My watch died too so I have no idea how long my actual race time was. I was definitely undertrained for the run (a half marathon) and it was so hot that day which left me walking most of it. I plan to redeem myself with an official 70.3 time, but maybe not at Augusta. I count this as a DNF because that’s what it says in the results.

009578AF-C99A-424F-A3A1-94E0487A3997.jpeg
(Image description: Crossing the Augusta finish line. I was very grateful they let me do this and still gave me my medal even though they took my timing chip.)

My other actual DNF was the 2022 WDW Marathon. I’ve shared this story in my training journal but basically I signed up for Goofy at the end of July with high hopes, got a new job that included a 90+ min a day commute, was also working on my dissertation and another part time job, was dealing with foot pain, blah blah blah I didn’t train properly. I trained well enough for the half, with my longest run at 12 miles (which is actually what my current marathon cycle training plan will have as peak single-day mileage but with much higher mileage throughout the week). I was basically just doing long runs every other weekend it was stupid.

Anyway, I got to Disney unsure about what I’d do. My DH was doing the half with me, and we had a great time. I weirdly felt no foot pain during it, but after when I took my shoes off I found two HUGE blisters— a blood blister on the ball of my right foot and a blister on my heel. I proceeded as if l would be doing the marathon the next day, not confident at all. 2 am came, and I decided that since I was there I might as well show up to the start line and see what happened. My blood blister popped almost immediately when I started running, and it was very painful. I made it to MK before I was almost always walking and the gap between me and the balloon ladies was slowing down. (I also started in the last corral and the race start was escalated this year.) They finally passed me literally going into Cinderella’s Castle lol. The balloon ladies didn’t say anything about needing to catch up to them or anything. I know I briefly talked to them but don’t remember what We said. The bikers were nice but did say I needed to catch up or I would be swept. I knew I wasn’t going to finish so I told them I was just going to get to the next sweep point, which was just outside of MK. My watch says I did 11.7 miles. I got on the bus where there was mixed energy— some crying people, some positive/optimistic people— and they drove us to the finish area. When we got off the bus they gave me the medal which is currently tucked away (I tried to sell it but the buyer backed out). I went to medical and got my blisters (or the bloody mess that remained) treated then started the walk of shame out of the park. I was with all the like 3-4 hour finishers and obviously did not belong with just one look at me lol. When walking out of the park, a girl asked me something like “did you finish the race princess” with the tone that she knew I hadn’t. It was in a nice way though. I told her no and she told me I would next year. And that’s that plan! No longer am I a girl who doesn’t train properly! Woohoo.

AEAF9338-7D87-45B8-B5BF-DA5982F3AD2A.jpeg
(Image description: Me with biker sweep behind me. At least I look happy haha.)

A17ADF6F-151E-4F4C-8BFB-4AF075D295C7.jpeg
(Image description: Balloons going into castle.)

That was long winded (from me!? What a surprise, I know 😆) but thought it might help anyone who is nervous about what being swept at Disney is like.

SAFD: I have a lot of Disney decorations but I’ll limit it to these. I have Thomas Kinkade pieces and a Jim Shore collection.
BFF30D86-2F08-4FB6-93DB-FC5E71B70F94.jpeg

for for the other question, I have DNS’d and haven’t DNF’d. I had to DNS due to my IT Band and as much as it hurt my ego, I knew it was the right decision. I couldn’t even walk without pain so doing a 10k would not have been a wise move.

Attachments

• 992B41BF-C7E1-488A-A6F7-8C4E4E9F09C2.jpeg
    992B41BF-C7E1-488A-A6F7-8C4E4E9F09C2.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4
  • A9F4164B-998D-41EB-B2F0-5287D8424AA0.jpeg
    A9F4164B-998D-41EB-B2F0-5287D8424AA0.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2AF40D59-99E7-4A5C-B171-E699A7467F1D.jpeg
    2AF40D59-99E7-4A5C-B171-E699A7467F1D.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
SAFD (planned):

I’ll get the bummer out of the way. I have never DNF’d a race but I have three very disappointing DNS. My first DNS was the Marathon of Dopey 2020. I had developed terrible blisters in the parks over the course of the week and they had become untenable during the Half Marathon. I gritted my teeth and got it done, but there was no way the Marathon was happening. It was agonizing because I was Perfect Dopey at the time and I still woke up and got ready for the Marathon. I just knew I couldn’t do it and chose to stay back rather than getting stranded on the course.

I then DNS’d the Half and Full Marathon this past MW. Losing Perfect Dopey (and overall losing my fitness) did a pretty good number on my psyche and I did not prepare properly (no matter how much I tried to pump myself up about it being a redemption attempt). I knew I hadn’t done the work, my legs and feet were in bad shape, and I had tweaked something during the 10k. I could’ve limped home the Half again, but it wasn’t going to provide any satisfaction or sense of achievement so I backed out of both races. I’m still not proud of it and it still messes with my head that I didn’t finish these three races.

SAFD (inspired):

I probably have a little too much stuff that shows I’m a Disney fan. My rD medals hang from a rack attached to the mantle above my fireplace and I generally have quite a bit of stuff around the house.

My favorite is my print I picked up at Festival of the Arts a couple years ago.
B8CC5AF1-B0A9-40C1-934C-C8FB3F5AFDBC.jpeg
2F800332-44EE-4011-9CB4-FB7F81E1DAAD.jpegFEE86737-E974-454D-803C-94B95ACCA3F2.jpeg56517C6A-9843-4F0C-AB03-8AF3B3449879.jpeg

It’s a really fun image from a distance and even better with all of the added details up close. There are about 50 hidden characters and an additional 30 hidden Mickey.

I picked up these on my most recent trip:
C31A769C-AD50-4AFE-B995-77E6F9B5F658.jpeg
I’ll be building and gluing them to put up in guest bedrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter