• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

With the new virtual queue system in place for W&D, and no preorders for MW, I’m not feeling great about merch. It reminds me of the Merch Pass shopDisney started using after the castle collection was released. I could be there as early as possible on opening day, but a virtual queue assignment might decide whether or not I get merch for my first (and likely only) Dopey experience (I can say likely because my work schedule is not at all conducive to doing this more than once). Even though not standing on ridiculously long lines sounds great, I see it as a part of the runDisney experience, and it’s fun to chat with people on line and get excited for race day.

I’d love to see an anniversary loungefly, but I’d only buy it if I absolutely loved it. I spend too much as is at the expo! Not interested in a spirit jersey this time around, but I usually go for pins, magnets, and the weekend jacket (basically everything that goes first lol). Id like to look at Dopey specific items as well.

Last year a very kind Disboards runner picked up marathon items for me, which was an huge deal because it was my first marathon and by the time I could get to the expo almost everything was already gone. I’d be more than happy to do the same for anyone in need if I can get in early enough.
Same. We won't arrive until Friday so I am 99.9999% sure the shoe ornaments and spirit jerseys will be gone by then, which are the only two items I ever buy.

Same. We won't arrive until Friday so I am 99.9999% sure the shoe ornaments and spirit jerseys will be gone by then, which are the only two items I ever buy.
If you aren't attached to the shoe, there's actually a Christmas store at Disney Springs and they sell all of the previous year's ornaments, and some are personalized for race weekends. I discovered this in 2019 when my mom and I were doing some shopping on our non-park day, and I saw the ornaments. Since the 10k in 2019 was Mulan, I bought one. It's still in storage with my Christmas ornaments, so I can't post a picture, but they'll paint a little medal on the ornaments with the distance.

If you aren't attached to the shoe, there's actually a Christmas store at Disney Springs and they sell all of the previous year's ornaments, and some are personalized for race weekends. I discovered this in 2019 when my mom and I were doing some shopping on our non-park day, and I saw the ornaments. Since the 10k in 2019 was Mulan, I bought one. It's still in storage with my Christmas ornaments, so I can't post a picture, but they'll paint a little medal on the ornaments with the distance.

Thank you! I didn't know that, but love that idea!

Have you used this website before? The prices it's giving me are nearly 50% lower than the prices that I'm seeing if I were to book directly with the rental company. Sounds way to good to be true.
I did use them a lot in the past and my reservations have always been honoured. Sometimes though they bring me from the Autoslash offer page to Priceline and the amount doesn’t always match at that point.

I'm a bit worried about the Virtual Queue they're using tomorrow for W&D, and how it could affect MW. If they're using it in January, my plans are that I'd rather just do it first thing or very last thing. Getting a return time around 1:30 would totally screw up my day.

Have you used this website before? The prices it's giving me are nearly 50% lower than the prices that I'm seeing if I were to book directly with the rental company. Sounds way to good to be true.

I use it all the time and it ends up being booked through Priceline. Don't lie on memberships (like Costco, etc) because the car rental agencies will verify at pick up.

Merch - Disney has been saving me hundreds of dollars over the past few years with the lack of variety and quality of merch at the expo.
I used to always buy a shoe ornament, pin, Tervis, race specific sweaty bands, maybe the Dooney, and a shirt. Last time I think I just got an ornament. Oh well!

I use it all the time and it ends up being booked through Priceline. Don't lie on memberships (like Costco, etc) because the car rental agencies will verify at pick up.
Yeah one of the complaints I have seen about auto slash has been that “it’s just a front for Priceline.”

I do know that I’ve read about the website (or whatever it is) automatically cancel/rebooking for you if the rates go lower. But I have no actual experience with it.

Merch - Disney has been saving me hundreds of dollars over the past few years with the lack of variety and quality of merch at the expo.
I used to always buy a shoe ornament, pin, Tervis, race specific sweaty bands, maybe the Dooney, and a shirt. Last time I think I just got an ornament. Oh well!
Same! I used to buy ornaments, pins, jackets, Tervis and for sure the Dooney but at SS I bought nothing. I waited all that time in line to walk out with not one thing. It felt like the biggest let down and waste of my morning.

They definitely lost a lot of my business when they stopped selling Champion-branded apparel in favor of the much poorer quality in-house/generic brand apparel.

I do know that I’ve read about the website (or whatever it is) automatically cancel/rebooking for you if the rates go lower. But I have no actual experience with it.
You have to put the price tracker on Autoslash and rebook if the price goes down. Then cancel the previous and put another tracker on the new reservation.

It will be interesting to see how the virtual queue for merchandise shakes out at W&D tomorrow.

Just want to throw this out there. I'm going to be going to the expo early on Wednesday and have no plans that day beyond picking up bib and merch. I would be more than happy to pick up any merchandise anyone else wants (and is still available), then either bring it to the Hurricane Hannah meet up or arrange some other time/date for the exchange. (Just not right before a race, I don't have the best bus luck! 😆)

Screenshots of the W&D merch VQ, for those of you who asked. We're staying on property so no issues with location.

Before 7:30:

Screenshot_20221103-072332_Disney World.jpg
Screenshot_20221103-072346_Disney World.jpg

After 7:30:

Screenshot_20221103-073005_Disney World.jpg
Screenshot_20221103-073020_Disney World.jpg
Screenshot_20221103-073027_Disney World.jpg

I put my mom and step-dad in the queue since I won't need one. I'll monitor and report when they are called.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-073417_Disney World.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-073417_Disney World.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1
VQ update. Expo is not open for another 30 minutes so I'm not sure what "welcoming groups 1-5" means, unless they're allowing them to line up.

Our estimated time bumped so I'm guessing that wait was from when we got into the VQ rather than from 10am.

Screenshot_20221103-092839_Disney World.jpg

I guess when I go back to the expo with my step-dad I'll look in person. I wasn't too upset about the medals but seeing these pics has me worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter