• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

So visually it looks like:

5k - Pluto can move back and forth
10k - The acorn by chip and dale can spin
HM - Donald/Daisy can move back and forth
M - The "0" with Mickey and Minnie can spin
Goofy - The center Goofy spins making the image behind move.
Dopey - Dopey looks raised and can possibly spin.
I'm not sure what the point of making Goofy a spinner was. The slots are too narrow to let you see enough of the picture to form a coherent image. It might've worked if the slots were significantly wider (taller?), but not in its current form.

So visually it looks like:

5k - Pluto can move back and forth
10k - The acorn by chip and dale can spin
HM - Donald/Daisy can move back and forth
M - The "0" with Mickey and Minnie can spin
Goofy - The center Goofy spins making the image behind move.
Dopey - Dopey looks raised and can possibly spin.
I believe that’s accurate. There were people waiting, so I didn’t play with them

Training question…

Thanks to some health issues causing a lot of pain all over (not injury) and great difficulty recovering from even easy workouts, I’d abandoned the marathon and decided I’ll just run half of it for 13.1. But. The new cocktail of meds my doctor put me on is helping and I think I maaaayyyybeee can manage the marathon, after all.

I‘m at a 12-mile long run and 2 50-minute short runs per week right now and doing okay. I can safely assume W&D will be a 14-miler, so let’s say that’s my longest training run after this weekend. Normally, I’d be up to 16 by now in marathon training - but that plan factored in two 20-milers, in case I need to skip any long runs due to weather, because hurricane season. So looking at a calendar, I think I can do the 14 at W&D, then a 16, 18, and 20, with cut backs between, before a 3-week taper before MW.

That’s doable, right?! With the caveat that if I’m in too much pain, I bag it and go back to my run half plan?

My other thought is that I need to take all of this easier than I have in the past. Now, I am not fast to start, so I’m not talking pace, but effort level. The major hitch is that walking a lot hurts much more than run-walk intervals, so “I’ll just walk a lot of it” is not a viable option. Stopping to rest for a minute here and there does help, though, even if I’m just standing in place, stretching. So I wonder if instead of distance goals, I should aim for time on my feet, instead? And just run, walk, stop and stretch at whatever intervals feel best in that time? Totally open to creative suggestions on this!

I know it's a very personal, stylistic thing, but I can't be the only one sitting here looking at last year's medals and then these, thinking "Holy cow, what a step down!"
YES. SO MUCH. Last year's medals were so pretty (even if some did have peeling issues if you weren't careful with them) and these are so......garish? tacky? I agree that the 5k and 10k are cute and after that it's a big let-down.

I know it's a very personal, stylistic thing, but I can't be the only one sitting here looking at last year's medals and then these, thinking "Holy cow, what a step down!"
I said it when we first saw them presented in the best light by runDisney let alone these pictures from the Expo. I thought that runDisney would go above and beyond because of the special anniversary year, but this is such a downgrade from last year's beautiful medal.

I give RD partial credit for trying to be creative with the medals. I have several years of old "gold head with the year changed", so they could be worse. By people's reactions, seems as though these are the "cake castle" of medals.
I might have hated that castle cake travesty more than anyone on the planet, and I think you nailed it - these ARE the castle cake of rD medals! :rotfl:

but I can't be the only one sitting here looking at last year's medals and then these, thinking "Holy cow, what a step down!"
I agree. And it seems like the quality issue of last year (peeling) might still happen with these. Last year’s medals were so beautiful. For these the 5K and 10K are okay, but I really dislike the rest. I think they could have been on theme without being so tacky.

I think I said this when rD released the medals on their blog, and I still feel the same way: too much paint. I remember this year's medals chipping fairly easily, and I'm afraid next year's medals will be even worse.
That's one thing I don't think we'll have to worry about. Last year's medals had a very finicky subtle effect that they were achieving with a fragile, thin coating. These medals look to be a much more durable and thick lacquer. Not saying there won't/couldn't be some chipping, but these look MUCH less likely to chip, especially when you consider the scale of the delamination more than chipping, even, than was seen last year.

I think what bothers me the most about the medals are the prominent "30" and "10" for the marathon and Dopey anniversary years. They didn't do that for the 20 or 25th anniversary marathons that I ran. And for Dopey, it's my first/last time doing it, so I'd rather they highlighted the total number of miles ran instead of the 10th anniversary. Makes the medals look like they're a 30-miler and 10-miler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter