Mask mandate doubled down--keep them on while dining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is too much. I wear the mask everywhere in public, of course, and understand the importance of it - I'm from NY, we were the worst in the nation or maybe the world at one point, believe me, I get it, I work in healthcare, too (not as first responder or patient care giver, however) but anyway, I live out on Long Island, which was pretty bad, it's not far from the city, after all, and anyway, when numbers were improved, and restaurants opened up where I lived again as the economy re-opened, I ventured out in November and December to several restaurants that had seating indoors but very spaced out and I and my dining partners were willing to accept that risk to take our masks off in those circumstances, while sitting down and enjoying our meal.

I mean, it was our informed decision to make. The idea of having to put the mask on in between bites is ridiculous - TO ME. For some, they do that, they eat, out it on, take it off, put it on, take it off. That's way too much arm gymnastics for me! I mean, if I can't have some semblance of a relaxing evening with some degree of normality - within reason - it is just not worth it to dine out or go on vacation!

Also, I should say, it's so odd for them to enforce strictness at this point as more and more people are getting vaccinated as well. I mean, if anything, the numbers will start to go down and improve - not saying we should relax protocols, but I certainly don't think, even with the various variants, which have likely already been here a long time any way and we just didn't know it, that we need to escalate the protocols either.

I think this cold have to do with trying to open DL, just my thought. CA is going to make disney jump thru hoops to open and it is easier to have a company wide policy instead of location ones.

The idea of having to put the mask on in between bites is ridiculous - TO ME. For some, they do that, they eat, out it on, take it off, put it on, take it off. That's way too much arm gymnastics for me! I mean, if I can't have some semblance of a relaxing evening with some degree of normality - within reason - it is just not worth it to dine out or go on vacation!

Disney does not say anywhere that you need to put your mask on in between bites. People are overblowing this update and jumping to that conclusion.

For the 100th time, you take your mask off while actively eating and drinking. So, that means not ripping it off the minute you sit down at the table. Keep it on until your drinks/food arrive. Put it back on when you are done with your meal. Don’t sit and gab for 30 minutes after the plates are cleared without a mask on.

They only want people to be unmasked while they have food or drink. This is so not a big deal.

“Why would Disney be giving this policy now, months after opening and with covid numbers going down and increased vaccination?”

Some possibilities:
  1. There has been an outbreak linked to dining, or CMs who work in dining are experiencing a higher rate. It benefits Disney in multiple ways to prevent spread. From a logistics and financial standpoint, if a CM gets sick, that CM is unavailable, and others will likely be quarantined. Not to mention that “sick CMs” isn’t great for PR or morale. The alternative to increased standards is shut down.
  2. Dining CMs feel uncomfortable with current guest behavior and want better assurances that they are protected. Again, this is an employee morale point.
  3. People are using dining as an “opportunity” to sit maskless for a long period of time after the meal, decreasing turnover and causing logistics issue. This is bad for Disney’s financials. There is a line between “not feeling rushed out” and “staying an excessive time that effects later guests,” and chances are that line keeps getting crossed bu those hoping to use dining as a “relaxation station.”
  4. People are sitting while waiting for a table or getting up from their tables without a mask. This is a reminder that they aren’t in a “mask-free” zone.
  5. There is increased or belief there will be an increase in non-compliance with the mask policy in general, and Disney wants to make sure that guests still know that the mask policy will be enforced. This really gets down to the whole “but case numbers are dropping!” argument. More and more people may feel bold to go maskless in Disney at points that skirt or fully break the rules. This provides more ammo to deal with problematic guests.

Two more points:

The “actively eating and drinking” language is likely there to prevent people from walking around maskless while holding a drink. We saw this issue early on.

Relaxation stations are available for those who want to sit for an extended amount of time without a mask. You do not need a dining reservation for that.

Last edited:
Well, it can sometimes be up to a half hour in some busy times at Disney restaurants before you get a drink or an appetizer. I feel that once you are seated at your table, you should have the choice to take your mask off if you want to and that is what everyone has thought was allowed here and in all restaurants. I mean, I can understand keeping it on while you give your order and are talking for a few minutes with the server, but while you are alone at the table and are waiting for drinks/apps to be served, which can be a while, you should be able to keep it off if you want to. I think that's reasonable. Others may not.

I get it, and I am not an anti-masked by any measure. I'll wear it wherever requires it and not complain for a second. I'm also not here to debate how much it does or does not protect. But it feels like Disney is taking a step back while the rest of the world is taking a step forward.

I honestly don't think restrictions will be required to this extent that much longer with vaccines and numbers dropping. This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back when it comes to our trip in December, though—and I think for a lot of guests. I'm not crazy about sitting at a table with a mask on.

I get it, and I am not an anti-masked by any measure. I'll wear it wherever requires it and not complain for a second. I'm also not here to debate how much it does or does not protect. But it feels like Disney is taking a step back while the rest of the world is taking a step forward.

This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back when it comes to our trip in December, though—and I think for a lot of guests. I'm not crazy about sitting at a table with a mask on.

The restaurants won’t be empty. I think it’ll be a deal breaker for a loud minority. There will be plenty of people dining. For pretty much every cancellation due to this, someone else will pick up the ADR.

This is how many restaurants are approaching masks all over the place. Most of the restaurants in our area have this same policy. Keep your mask on until you receive food or drink, put it back on when you’re done. This isn’t a new thing to many people 🤷🏻‍♀️. And many already do this on their own as a courtesy to others.

I just read a post, written by someone who was recently on WDW property, on DVC Fan FB group detailing what caused this change. Bascially too many people used TS and QS area as relaxation zone and that they removed the masks while waiting for a table or lingered for a prolonged period of time without masks. Other people have also commented that they spoke to CM and managers on property in regards to the changes. The policy just wants people to remove masks when eating and put it back on when you are done with the meal. That's all.

I was thinking this was the case. I was actually really upset in October at Sleepy Hollow. We waited in a very long line, got our food and literally stood for 15 minutes waiting for someone, anyone to move from a table so we could eat.There was so many tables being taken by people just sitting without their masks and no food. I was furious. We finally ended up standing at a garbage can to eat. So appetizing.

I did go to complain at GS after but got a not very nice reply along the lines of, “we just laid off a lot of people...”. The whole experience really left me feeling not great.

Anyway, back on topic, if this new rule prevents that from happening, I’m all for it. Obviously we can’t rely on our fellow park goers to be considerate

The restaurants won’t be empty. I think it’ll be a deal breaker for a loud minority. There will be plenty of people dining. For pretty much every cancellation due to this, someone else will pick up the ADR.

This is how many restaurants are approaching masks all over the place. Most of the restaurants in our area have this same policy. Keep your mask on until you receive food or drink, put it back on when you’re done. This isn’t a new thing to many people 🤷🏻‍♀️. And many already do this on their own as a courtesy to others.

Bingo.

As other have said, the kids seem to have less issues with masks than a lot of adults (unless prompted to whine about them by mommy and daddy). I'm amazed at how the 4th and 5th grade special ed kids I teach have adjusted - from the start of the year my class (and this is self-contained special ed, so kids who could not function in a general education environment even with supports) has had 100% compliance. Masks are so much a part of their world now that when I finished our door for Dr. Seuss week with a Lorax theme, they all said "He's wearing a mask too!" when they saw his mustache (The Lorax has a gloriously large mustache).

Well, it can sometimes be up to a half hour in some busy times at Disney restaurants before you get a drink or an appetizer. I feel that once you are seated at your table, you should have the choice to take your mask off if you want to and that is what everyone has thought was allowed here and in all restaurants. I mean, I can understand keeping it on while you give your order and are talking for a few minutes with the server, but while you are alone at the table and are waiting for drinks/apps to be served, which can be a while, you should be able to keep it off if you want to. I think that's reasonable. Others may not.

Really? Half an hour before getting your drinks? Where are you eating? I haven't had that sort of bad service ever, not even on the 4th of July.

I don't know... I live in a state where they're extremely strict and only when you leave the table do you need to put back on the mask, so I'm not so sure about "all over the place."

Really? Half an hour before getting your drinks? Where are you eating? I haven't had that sort of bad service ever, not even on the 4th of July.

We were at WCC in November... they were so overbooked it took 1 1/2 to be seated for breakfast (we ended up crossing into lunch, but they still served us breakfast), and it was 40 minutes before coffee was put on our table - and that was AFTER someone on our table complained. So, it can happen, unfortunately 😕

I think when you get to the end of your meal and the check has come and you're truly done eating, lingering for inordinate extra time is always wrong anyway, even pre-pandemic. When you're done, leave in a reasonable amount of time.

But I think leeway should be allowed when you arrive and begin your meal and sit down. It should not be a big deal when you start your reservation and sit down, if you want to take off your mask. You shouldn't have to keep the mask on while waiting 40 minutes for your first drink or meal to arrive. Sometimes, you have to wait 20 minutes for your first server to even greet you!

If you are ALONE at your table that is socially spaced out, you should be allowed to take your mask off while waiting to be served at the table.

I don't have a problem putting my mask on to give the server my order or when I am done eating and the dishes have been cleared and I am starting the payment process, either.

I just feel the guest should be allowed to enjoy everything in between without having to mask up.

So I really need to understand this policy a bit better. I'm in CT. and the rules here are that you must have a mask on when being seated, ordering your food, if you leave the table to use the restroom, and when you exit the restaurant. Its simple to follow and I never see anyone not following these rules.

What is their definition of "actively eating and drinking?" I highly doubt they expect a guest to have to pull their mask up and down every time they take a bite of food or sip a drink..... And should we expect enforcement to be the same in each dining location?

My interpretation is that once you are served you can remove your mask until your done eating and the table is cleared. If they are going the mask and chew route then just close the restaurants down if you're that concerned.

Regardless, I think some further clarifications of the policy is needed.

I think when you get to the end of your meal and the check has come and you're truly done eating, lingering for inordinate extra time is always wrong anyway, even pre-pandemic. When you're done, leave in a reasonable amount of time.

But I think leeway should be allowed when you arrive and begin your meal and sit down. It should not be a big deal when you start your reservation and sit down, if you want to take off your mask. You shouldn't have to keep the mask on while waiting 40 minutes for your first drink or meal to arrive. Sometimes, you have to wait 20 minutes for your first server to even greet you!

If you are ALONE at your table that is socially spaced out, you should be allowed to take your mask off while waiting to be served at the table.

I don't have a problem putting my mask on to give the server my order or when I am done eating and the dishes have been cleared and I am starting the payment process, either.

I just feel the guest should be allowed to enjoy everything in between without having to mask up.

You're right. Unfortunately introducing caveats opens it up to people abusing the policy, so I understand where Disney is coming from with setting a strict enforcement but I personally just think it's getting ridiculous right now. The time to make this mandate was back in July when they opened, not toward the end of the pandemic when many are getting vaccinated and numbers are dropping. That's the only place where I disagree with it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Apparently that makes me "childish"

We were at WCC in November... they were so overbooked it took 1 1/2 to be seated for breakfast (we ended up crossing into lunch, but they still served us breakfast), and it was 40 minutes before coffee was put on our table - and that was AFTER someone on our table complained. So, it can happen, unfortunately 😕

I bet it can happen, but not all of the time. Which is how that post came across to me.

Most of the people complaining weren't going to WDW anyways. This is just another opportunity for them to complain about mask policies.

So I really need to understand this policy a bit better. I'm in CT. and the rules here are that you must have a mask on when being seated, ordering your food, if you leave the table to use the restroom, and when you exit the restaurant. Its simple to follow and I never see anyone not following these rules.

What is their definition of "actively eating and drinking?" I highly doubt they expect a guest to have to pull their mask up and down every time they take a bite of food or sip a drink..... And should we expect enforcement to be the same in each dining location?

My interpretation is that once you are served you can remove your mask until your done eating and the table is cleared. If they are going the mask and chew route then just close the restaurants down if you're that concerned.

Regardless, I think some further clarifications of the policy is needed.

So the way I interpret it: you must be wearing a mask until you receive your beverages and food, then must put your mask back on when your server returns to the table, unless you've got a mouthful of food. If you have drinks in front of you and are waiting for your food, you must have your mask on, unless taking a sip of your drink.

Bingo! This is the 100% Disney reason for the policy...their table turnover had probably slowed, and they already have reduced table tops, so they need folks in and out asap. How best to do that - make it uncomfortable to stay after eating...

Or a marketing ploy to entice people to order dessert 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter