Masks?

FYI, I am not clear if you were saying that the disposable masks sold at Giant Tiger are made in Canada or the chocolate chips you got

Is this the Guelph doctor you were talking about ? https://www.guelphtoday.com/the-fro...ik-a-doctor-battling-covid-19-head-on-2290212

SW
oopsie, the problems with typing something on my phone while taking a break from mask sewing and not double checking if I was clear 🤦‍♀️
sorry, yes the masks are made in China BUT a lot of the products under the Giant Tiger name are actually produced in Canada. Off the top of my head and in no particular order: waxed paper, chocolate bars and a ton of baking supplies.
these are the chips we use
20200615_211219.jpg20200615_211239.jpg

And yes! That's her, she's an amazing woman who's very involved with AIDS to the point that she raised enough money to fund a mobile clinic in Africa, started an orphanage and continues to support the community.
Here's a link to her blog where you can catch up on her daily reports. She's still providing care in her local family practice and helped establish our testing facility.
You can scroll back to the beginning and catch up!

http://braceletofhope.blogspot.com/?m=1

Thanks for posting. Wouldn't have thought of Old Navy for masks.
I just noticed today that Gap has them too (same parent company, along with Banana Republic and they all share the same web portal). FYI: I got my ship notification last night, so they must be off backorder now as well :)

I just noticed today that Gap has them too (same parent company, along with Banana Republic and they all share the same web portal). FYI: I got my ship notification last night, so they must be off backorder now as well :)

Don’t count on getting them anytime soon. I’ve had an order saying it was shipped from Gap since June 2nd. When you click on the tracking it is still “ready to go”. Hasn’t been picked up. I have an order from old navy that has been like that for a week longer. They aren’t even getting picked up.

Don’t count on getting them anytime soon. I’ve had an order saying it was shipped from Gap since June 2nd. When you click on the tracking it is still “ready to go”. Hasn’t been picked up. I have an order from old navy that has been like that for a week longer. They aren’t even getting picked up.

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath on the order I placed late last week:( there are some star wars shirts for my son's birthday!

I lucked out I guess. I got my ship notification on Monday and they arrived this afternoon (Wednesday). They fit quite nicely, and the ear straps are very comfortable.

I lucked out I guess. I got my ship notification on Monday and they arrived this afternoon (Wednesday). They fit quite nicely, and the ear straps are very comfortable.

Both of my orders I still “waiting for pick up”. And no help from customer service. I used to order a lot from old navy and Gap. But now I won’t.

They won’t send out my masks. They won’t cancel the order. And I’m told I can’t return them because they are final order. Oh and they charged me for them weeks ago.

Hubby had to go to a client Thursday & Friday (and since they had fanned the "fire" so much before he agreed to go, he's actually there again today, sigh) and he told them that he would be wearing a mask. His business is not considered "essential" but most of his systems are production based and this one is an inventory tracking one that involved converting them to using handheld scanners. ANYWAY, when he got there the first person he saw told him that they would all be wearing masks because he was, made him feel a bit better. I made a bunch for him with his company logo on them because, might as well advertise while protecting others, right 🤷‍♀️

So I picked the reusable produce bags up this morning,,they seem quite sturdy. I will use the plastic ones for grocery (called Sobeys and Metro and they said they prefer that for now).
I will use the reusable ones for work projects.🌼
Hugs
Mel
So I don't like the elastic around the ear masks so I was thinking of using the toggles from the bags but after I checked them out again the string is not stretchy so I will have to rethink what I use to keep my masks on. I may use the toggles with elastic or I may have to make mine with the elastic ears and then make the button holder for the back of my head. My other idea is to keep moving the 2 stretchy toggles sets that I have from mask to mask.
Here are the masks that I have made being modeled by my friends.

Attachments

• P6200373 masks 1.jpg
    P6200373 masks 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P6200375 masks 2.jpg
    P6200375 masks 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 6
People are under the misconception that masks make a huge difference. The only mask that makes any difference is an N-95 or equivalent and those should only be used right now by health care professionals. All other masks including procedure type masks only offer protection from or help protect others from direct particulate exposure. What a lot of people don't understand is that while it is important to protect against contact with "spit" it is the aerosolization of the covid 19 virus that you cant see that would not be filtered out by regular masks and especially home made ones, the areosolized particles are to small and will get through.

Even N-95 masks unless worn and fit properly wont protect, which is why you are seeing pictures of health care workers with bruising and scars on there faces (they are wearing the properly) but lots of people don't wear them properly as they tend to be uncomfortable.

So yes masks can help but please don't think they will make you bullet proof. Your best pet is to wash wash wash your hands and cough into your arm if you need to.
HALLELUJAH, you are someone i can relate to and speaks sense. I wont wear a mask and in the UK they are not mandatory. I am happy to wait to visit Disney until masks are a choice.

HALLELUJAH, you are someone i can relate to and speaks sense. I wont wear a mask and in the UK they are not mandatory. I am happy to wait to visit Disney until masks are a choice.

Actually it’s not “sense”. If you actually listen to professionals studies have been done that prove that masks help reduce the spread. You don’t wear masks to protect yourself but to protect others. It’s a very simple concept. Much like coughing or sneezing into your arm. A mask will significantly reduce the germs you spread to others when you cough, sneeze, laugh, or even talk.

I’ve heard every type of nonsense excuse about why people won’t wear them. The “it won’t protect you one”. Well like I said above that’s not why you wear one. The “it will cause you health problems or make you faint because it deprives you of oxygen”. Well just not true. Many people wear masks all day long. Doctors, nurses, construction workers, woodworkers, dental hygienists etc. If masks really cut off your oxygen you we would know and all these people couldn’t do their job. Or the next excuse “wearing a mask will ruin your immune system. Again many people wear them on a regular basis, this isn’t true.

I have yet to read one valid reason why most people can’t wear a mask. The only reason most people won’t wear a mask is because they only think about themselves. Think about it, if there was even a chance wearing masks would save people’s lives, why wouldn’t you? Worst thing that happens to you is you are annoyed for the 20-30 mins you are in a store. It’s time more people started caring about the other around them.

Thats what wearing a mask is. It shows you care enough to do everything you can to protect the people you are around.

And before you go off about the occasional situation where someone can’t wear a mask note I wrote “most people”. Because there may be the few who can’t, it’s that much more important that everyone else does.

Last edited:
Actually it’s not “sense”. If you actually listen to professionals studies have been done that prove that masks help reduce the spread. You don’t wear masks to protect yourself but to protect others. It’s a very simple concept. Much like coughing or sneezing into your arm. A mask will significantly reduce the germs you spread to others when you cough, sneeze, laugh, or even talk.

I’ve heard every type of nonsense excuse about why people won’t wear them. The “it won’t protect you one”. Well like I said above that’s not why you wear one. The “it will cause you health problems or make you faint because it deprives you of oxygen”. Well just not true. Many people wear masks all day long. Doctors, nurses, construction workers, woodworkers, dental hygienists etc. If masks really cut off your oxygen you we would know and all these people couldn’t do their job. Or the next excuse “wearing a mask will ruin your immune system. Again many people wear them on a regular basis, this isn’t true.

I have yet to read one valid reason why most people can’t wear a mask. The only reason most people won’t wear a mask is because they only think about themselves. Think about it, if there was even a chance wearing masks would save people’s lives, why wouldn’t you? Worst thing that happens to you is you are annoyed for the 20-30 mins you are in a store. It’s time more people started caring about the other around them.

Thats what wearing a mask is. It shows you care enough to do everything you can to protect the people you are around.

And before you go off about the occasional situation where someone can’t wear a mask note I wrote “most people”. Because there may be the few who can’t, it’s that much more important that everyone else does.
Okay, so "It will ruin my lipstick" isn't valid either, I guess? 😜

Seriously, I wear my mask, but I have to admit, when I have it on, I do find myself feeling a little "safer", even though I know I'm not. I can't help feeling like that little piece of paper, with gaping sides is going to give me some type of immunity, when, in reality, it's the fact that I live in an area where the number are going down. I do have to catch myself on that.

I wear my mask because I don't want to give others anything I have, but also because the more people that wear them, the easier it will be to gain herd immunity... over the social stigma against wearing masks. At least for now, we should all be doing our part.

I agree with wdwmom3
My oldest son is a frontline worker and I can't tell you how much I appreciate people thinking of HIS well being by wearing masks! Some people have no idea that by their actions they are causing a great deal of physical and mental stress to others.
ok I will now go take a calming walk in the forest and try to calm down.

Hugs
Mel

We apparently need a condensed version of something I read on another thread. This is how wearing a mask is explained to a 5 year old.

Think of a mask like a pair of pants.

You're standing within 6 feet of a friend. If you aren't wearing any pants and your friend isn't wearing any pants and your friend pees you both get wet to the skin. If you are wearing pants and your friend pees, you won't get as wet your pants absorb some of the pee not much gets through to your skin. If your friend is also wearing pants and pees their pants get wet and and yours might a little but your skin stays mostly dry.

If you think that little story is ridiculous so is NOT WEARING A MASK. It is very selfish of someone to not wear a mask in public at a time like this unless you can guarantee that you are Covid negative or can keep a distance of 6 feet. Yes you might be perfectly healthy and unaffected by Covid but not everyone who has to go to the grocery store is. Think about others, it's the Canandian way.

Last edited:
I agree with wdwmom3
My oldest son is a frontline worker and I can't tell you how much I appreciate people thinking of HIS well being by wearing masks! Some people have no idea that by their actions they are causing a great deal of physical and mental stress to others.

Hugs
Mel

My daughter works retail. In a clothing store. So just recently reopened. So I do think of all those people working. They have to be there. It’s the least we can do to keep them safe.

I agree with wdwmom3

Hugs
Mel
I get it i really do, my son is a key worker and during these last few months has been asked to wear a mask one time, a mask that wasn't even the correct type within 5 minutes he took it off and left the premises. He has panic disorder. We all have stories to tell we know people who are health workers and working on the front line. The stories i could share about that.

We apparently need a condensed version of something I read on another thread. This is how wearing a mask is explained to a 5 year old.

Think of a mask like a pair of pants.

You're standing within 6 feet of a friend. If you aren't wearing any pants and your friend isn't wearing any pants and your friend pees you both get wet to the skin. If you are wearing pants and your friend pees, you won't get as wet your pants absorb some of the pee not much gets through to your skin. If your friend is also wearing pants and pees their pants get wet and and yours might a little but your skin stays mostly dry.

If you think that little story is ridiculous so is NOT WEARING A MASK. It is very selfish of someone to not wear a mask in public at a time like this unless you can guarantee that you are Covid negative or can keep a distance of 6 feet. Yes you might be perfectly healthy and unaffected by Covid but not everyone who has to go to the grocery store is. Think about others, it's the Canandian way.
I think of plenty of others and that is a British Way.... i have a family, friends, neighbours colleagues and non of us wear masks. Some are key workers, my son who has 3 daughters who has everyday since this started worked his *** off puts himself out there to look after others. He has panic disorder. There are plenty of people who can't wear masks for due to respiratory issues, or due to mental health issues they carry exemption cards, does that mean they are uncaring and selfish. Its personal choice to wear a mask for whatever reason. We have all done research and listened to our health advisor's on this. We choose to follow all other guidelines just not wear a mask. Attacking and judging is not the answer.

I think of plenty of others and that is a British Way.... i have a family, friends, neighbours colleagues and non of us wear masks. Some are key workers, my son who has 3 daughters who has everyday since this started worked his *** off puts himself out there to look after others. He has panic disorder. There are plenty of people who can't wear masks for due to respiratory issues, or due to mental health issues they carry exemption cards, does that mean they are uncaring and selfish. Its personal choice to wear a mask for whatever reason. We have all done research and listened to our health advisor's on this. We choose to follow all other guidelines just not wear a mask. Attacking and judging is not the answer.

I don’t think anyone is talking about anyone with legit reasons not to wear a mask. I’m in Kingston and apparently I’m one of the only ppl here that is healthy enough to wear one in stores or so it seems. Store staff that wore one weeks ago no longer apparently can and oh wait I’m in health care and most of my former coworkers apparently canT when they are off work running their errands . ( but they wear one all shift hmm ) I believe those are the kind of ppl being discussed.

As TammyLynn33 mentioned, the people with legitimate reasons for not wearing a mask are part of the reason the rest of us should --- and those are not the ones being discussed.

It's understood that some people (respiratory disease patients, or those who have some mental health issues) won't be able to wear a mask but the rest of us can do their part to make sure we reduce the chance of transmission to others. Maybe that COPD patient can't wear one but their outcome will be far more severe and maybe fatal if they catch it. I personally wouldn't want to be the one that unknowingly infected them and I tend to be a little bit judge-y about those whose actions (ie. not wearing a mask) say they are okay with it if they did.

This is a pandemic. If you can wear one and you're not, then you probably just need to understand that others may look at you and see selfishness -- maybe just own it instead of trying to justify.

no one is judging people with legit reasons. It’s the mentality a lot of people have. And sorry you or your son may have a legit reasons but you also have the “masks aren’t important attitude”. I hear the respiratory issue excuse a lot. And I’m sorry I don’t buy that one either. Many people I know (including my husband) do have respiratory issues and wear a mask. They do it because they take this even more seriously I know nurses who have asthma and wear one regularity. The people with issues that would actually prevent them from wearing one is actually very small.

i find it ironic that all of a sudden we have a huge amount of the population that has “severe respiratory issues” or “severe anxiety”.

if you actually cared about keeping others safe you would wear a mask (if possible) and even if you can’t, actually encourage others to wear one. But instead you are contributing to the nonsense. You may tell yourself you care, but your on the “my comfort is more important” bandwagon. It’s really no longer a “personal choice” when that choice affects the health of others.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter