Mickey says we CAN SHARE!!!!

It sounds like it also says that I cant treat a friend to dinner (or visiting fam member) using ddp credits :confused3 . I was planning on having my g/f (in Tampa) drive up to visit me as many eves as she could for dinner :cheer2: . But it would be uncomfortable for her, if I paid on the DDp for me DH and DD15, then cash for her :sad2: , unless I ordered something for the baby. Well~ I guess what I could do, is leave DH :groom: w/ the room key and Debit card, after our meal. He can settle the bill while I take g/f and the kids to a near by shop, or to check out the lobby, or something to wait for him :teacher:

keishashadow said:
FYI, LTT used to charge an "entertainment fee" of $5, if anyone in the party wasn't eating @ the charactar dinner...wonder if they still do.

BTW, beware of ordering OOP when using any TS DP credits. The servers will automatically add on 18% to even an beer or ice cream float w/light cube...bit tip grabby IMO. Wound up paying between $7 - $10 extra for that option.

We had the same experience at Boma for our alcohol purchases. I was going to tip over the 18% anyway but I agree, it was a bit shocking that that was added to our bill. My guess is that a lot of folks on the dining plan are NOT tipping on their OOP stuff so some of the servers/ restaurants are adding it.

I've been telling people to look at the bill before adding a tip.

Sweetness - That's what I was noticing too! On mousesavers it says you can treat someone using your dining credits. I wonder if this is no longer accurate.

Thanks for clearing up the sharing situation. I too am printing your response. It really is too much food for one person to consume and to order it "just because" is a waste. We had hoped to share and then we would be able to enjoy another table service location. I think everyone wins, including Disney and we will be tipping the server knowing that we are sharing.

mickeyfan2 said:
So this tells me you cannot treat a none DDP person to a meal using your plan.

It doesn't tell ME that! It was used as an example of someone joining a person who is on the dining plan for dinner, and paying out of pocket for the meal they order! I certainly didn't take it to mean anything other the answering the OP's question about paying OOP for 1 meal while using the dining plan for another.

People are getting lots of exercise jumping to conclusions!

Regardless of what Guest Communications says, it will still come down to the individual restuarants and managers as to how it plays out.

It would be nice if Disney could all get on the same page but when you have that many restaurants, some not even owned by Disney, and thousands of CMs, this is never going to happen.

So as someone else stated go expecting the best but do not be upset if this does not work out.

Thanks for posting! We are trying the dining plan in December and I was just wondering about sharing meals.

keishashadow said:
FYI, LTT used to charge an "entertainment fee" of $5, if anyone in the party wasn't eating @ the charactar dinner...wonder if they still do.

BTW, beware of ordering OOP when using any TS DP credits. The servers will automatically add on 18% to even an beer or ice cream float w/light cube...bit tip grabby IMO. Wound up paying between $7 - $10 extra for that option.
We did the dinner there in May, and I think I DO remember seeing something to that effect. It didn't apply to us, so I didn't pay much attention, but I think that is still in effect.

Sammie said:
Regardless of what Guest Communications says, it will still come down to the individual restuarants and managers as to how it plays out.

It would be nice if Disney could all get on the same page but when you have that many restaurants, some not even owned by Disney, and thousands of CMs, this is never going to happen.

So as someone else stated go expecting the best but do not be upset if this does not work out.

I would expect for a participating restaurant to honor a written communication from Disney. That would be like an IGA (indepent groc. association) store not honoring an IGA ad. I wouldn't find that fair. If Disney puts it in writing the consumer should be able to count on it. If they didn't honor it I believe I would probably file a complaint with the Better Business Bueru, not a huge threat I know, but the only recourse I think would be appropriate.

Shelly

shellybaxter said:
I would expect for a participating restaurant to honor a written communication from Disney. That would be like an IGA (indepent groc. association) store not honoring an IGA ad. I wouldn't find that fair. If Disney puts it in writing the consumer should be able to count on it. If they didn't honor it I believe I would probably file a complaint with the Better Business Bueru, not a huge threat I know, but the only recourse I think would be appropriate.

Shelly

I agree that anyone that has received written confirmation and takes the email with them, then Yes they should and probably would honor it. But as to anyone else then maybe not. It would simply be hearsay then.

If I was dining on the DDP, and one person, or more of my party of four was not dining, and we were charged for them. I would probably bring the bill to the attention of my resort manager and have them put the TS back onto my account.

Sammie said:
I agree that anyone that has received written confirmation and takes the email with them, then Yes they should and probably would honor it. But as to anyone else then maybe not. It would simply be hearsay then.

the only problem with this is - "well that was written 2 months ago, yesterday, whatever and this is the way we are doing it now". Kind of like if I had gotten the e-mail in september saying all cs meals include desert then got to disney in october and couldnt get it - however whenever the cm and I disagreed about the ddp (3 times) I made show me in the brochure. I wasnt right 1 time and very embarrassed walked away without my side dish, but when I was right they yeilded with well it wont work in the computer but it did and everything was fine...What could they say, I had the written info from Disney that I received at check in...but if you are taking an older letter who knows.

FayeW said:
It doesn't tell ME that! It was used as an example of someone joining a person who is on the dining plan for dinner, and paying out of pocket for the meal they order! I certainly didn't take it to mean anything other the answering the OP's question about paying OOP for 1 meal while using the dining plan for another.

People are getting lots of exercise jumping to conclusions!
I agree 100% They are using someone joining you as an example, they are not saying no one can join you and use the plan if you have the credits. How would they know anyway? Do they look at a room key for each person at the table? Never heard of that happening myself. If the receipt just rings up how many meal credits you have left, how would they even know how many folks are staying in your room???

Pocahantas said:
Thanks for posting! We are trying the dining plan in December and I was just wondering about sharing meals.
Well, sharing CS is easy. Dh and two teen daughters order 3 meals while me and the two little ones find a table. We all share. Who would know or care? TS is another matter. Generally most restaurants allow this but charge a small fee for the extra plate. Can't wait to see how it all works out for people. Dh doesn't think we need the meal plan. It will not be free when we go and it is just so much food!!! We did it once before when all of our kids were under age 10, but now three of them are "adults" by WDW standards. Ds is a good eater, but the big girls, and even myself, would have a hard time eating all of that food without sharing. We would like to buy 3 CS meals twice a day and share. The TS meals I am not sure about, buffets would be okay because we can't share anyway.

beth_cam said:
the only problem with this is - "well that was written 2 months ago, yesterday, whatever and this is the way we are doing it now". Kind of like if I had gotten the e-mail in september saying all cs meals include desert then got to disney in october and couldnt get it - however whenever the cm and I disagreed about the ddp (3 times) I made show me in the brochure. I wasnt right 1 time and very embarrassed walked away without my side dish, but when I was right they yeilded with well it wont work in the computer but it did and everything was fine...What could they say, I had the written info from Disney that I received at check in...but if you are taking an older letter who knows.

Definitely and I am willing to bet at the bottom of the email was the following:
PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

I have never received an official email from them without the disclaimer.

I almost hate to bring this up, but once again, Disney is sending contradictory messages. I emailed them on the same subject the other day being very clear that I was inquiring about only sharing at non buffet/character meals and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Unfortunatley, you would not be able to share meals on the Disney Dine
Plan. Each person has one
table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack included in
the package for each day.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

laceemouse said:
Dh doesn't think we need the meal plan. It will not be free when we go and it is just so much food!!!

Hi laceemouse! I don't know if you looked at this thread: "We went, we ate, we're back! 1st time DDP users take on WDW..." I believe the poster provides a compelling story for the DDP (just my humble opinion). Check out page 2 for the total dollars spent, and savings.

:smickey:

akalittleeva said:
I almost hate to bring this up, but once again, Disney is sending contradictory messages. I emailed them on the same subject the other day being very clear that I was inquiring about only sharing at non buffet/character meals and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Unfortunatley, you would not be able to share meals on the Disney Dine
Plan. Each person has one
table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack included in
the package for each day.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Well you can't share meals- meaning meal entitlements. You each must have the dining plan.

LizinSTL said:
Well you can't share meals- meaning meal entitlements. You each must have the dining plan.

Good thinking. I'm sure that's exactly what was meant.

If Disney wants to stop sharing they'll just increase the number of restauants that offer all you care to eat, free seconds. Simple, doesn't cost much and guests really can't complain. For signature restaurants Disney could just go to a price fixed menu that all guests have to order from. They already do that with the FDP. I think that would get less complaints than adding a sharing charge or trying to ban sharing altogether.

The Sweetness said:
It sounds like it also says that I cant treat a friend to dinner (or visiting fam member) using ddp credits :confused3 . I was planning on having my g/f (in Tampa) drive up to visit me as many eves as she could for dinner :cheer2: . But it would be uncomfortable for her, if I paid on the DDp for me DH and DD15, then cash for her :sad2: , unless I ordered something for the baby. Well~ I guess what I could do, is leave DH :groom: w/ the room key and Debit card, after our meal. He can settle the bill while I take g/f and the kids to a near by shop, or to check out the lobby, or something to wait for him :teacher:

Sweetness - I just called the Disney 1-800 number and they confirmed that you can use your dining credits to treat other people that aren't on the dining plan. What a relief!

Enjoy your trip and your dining!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter