My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Hi I'm new to the party. A big thanks for Ray, Mamabunny and Groot for all the great information. I have been considering purchasing the Magshock chair, purple of course. ;). I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. My eyes got really tired around page 9. I am not sure which of the accessories I need. I can't afford to buy everything. I was wondering which of the accessories you think are essential and which are nice additions.
Defintely get the bumper protector for the car and if you’re flying anytime soon, the airline bag (which my mom keeps reminding me to order :P) I’m hoping that they’ll get more touch up paint for all the colors soon.
I'm really hoping future iterations of the joy stick will include a phone charging port and lights can be integrated into the design at some point.
I’m just hoping that the’ll come out with a swing away joystick. I’d buy that in a heartbeat.
It looks like a great chair that is built to last. I have the Glion scooter which I like but I wanted something smaller to get into smaller spaces.
Never heard of that scooter.

Hi I'm new to the party. A big thanks for Ray, Mamabunny and Groot for all the great information. I have been considering purchasing the Magshock chair, purple of course. ;). I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. My eyes got really tired around page 9. I am not sure which of the accessories I need. I can't afford to buy everything. I was wondering which of the accessories you think are essential and which are nice additions. I'm really hoping future iterations of the joy stick will include a phone charging port and lights can be integrated into the design at some point. It looks like a great chair that is built to last. I have the Glion scooter which I like but I wanted something smaller to get into smaller spaces. Thanks in advance for your advice. I'd love to see how you personalized your own ride. Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome!

Before you make the purchase, be sure to measure your current device (the Glion) and compare it to the Magshock to make sure you are really going down in width, sidewise. I imagine the length of the Magshock will be shorter, (although it may be surprising to compare them head-to-head) but the width may not change that much for you. It is a big purchase, and I personally debated a long time before I pulled the trigger; I did a LOT of research to make sure it was the right chair.

It is very comfortable. I think that if I were in your shoes, I might consider buying the chair first, and then seeing which accessories "spoke" to me after I had it for a while. If I had to pick, I would say that tne thing I have been very glad for is a folding bumper protector that we actually purchased on Amazon. It Velcros across the back of the lift gate area just inside the car, and then a fairly thick, soft protector falls down over the bumper to help protect the car as you load/unload.

As I have grown weaker I am now at a point where I can no longer lift the chair by myself in and out of my vehicle. I now require the assistance of a family member. I cannot stand unassisted long enough to use the lift device that F&G sells, so I am kind of "stuck" in that respect.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying the Magshock - I just know exactly how expensive that is, and it's a big investment for most folks.

I agree with Mamabunny about getting it first before deciding on accessories. And, honestly, I didn’t particularly care for some that FoldnGo offers - for example, I hated their cup holder - and found a few things I liked better elsewhere. One accessory I absolutely did need was the footrest extender.

Hi and welcome!

Before you make the purchase, be sure to measure your current device (the Glion) and compare it to the Magshock to make sure you are really going down in width, sidewise. I imagine the length of the Magshock will be shorter, (although it may be surprising to compare them head-to-head) but the width may not change that much for you. It is a big purchase, and I personally debated a long time before I pulled the trigger; I did a LOT of research to make sure it was the right chair.

It is very comfortable. I think that if I were in your shoes, I might consider buying the chair first, and then seeing which accessories "spoke" to me after I had it for a while. If I had to pick, I would say that tne thing I have been very glad for is a folding bumper protector that we actually purchased on Amazon. It Velcros across the back of the lift gate area just inside the car, and then a fairly thick, soft protector falls down over the bumper to help protect the car as you load/unload.

As I have grown weaker I am now at a point where I can no longer lift the chair by myself in and out of my vehicle. I now require the assistance of a family member. I cannot stand unassisted long enough to use the lift device that F&G sells, so I am kind of "stuck" in that respect.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying the Magshock - I just know exactly how expensive that is, and it's a big investment for most folks.
Could you do a screenshot of the bumper protector and attach it to your next post? Since the person hasn’t made the purchase yet, she could check out the Falcon or Eagle foldable electric wheelchair. The travel bag and other accessories are included in the purchase. They are comparable in price and product. It also comes in purple. I LOVE my Falcon and wish I knew about this product a few years ago. I have had many many compliments. Mine is pink. I call it my Hot Wheels (originally my Pink Chariot). There are MANY YouTube videos. I was tossed between the F&G and my Falcon. Because they are comparable, we decided on the Falcon because it weighs a little less and came with the travel bag cover. The only difference between the Falcon & the Eagle is that the Falcon has a reclining back.

Could you do a screenshot of the bumper protector and attach it to your next post? Since the person hasn’t made the purchase yet, she could check out the Falcon or Eagle foldable electric wheelchair. The travel bag and other accessories are included in the purchase. They are comparable in price and product. It also comes in purple. I LOVE my Falcon and wish I knew about this product a few years ago. I have had many many compliments. Mine is pink. I call it my Hot Wheels (originally my Pink Chariot). There are MANY YouTube videos. I was tossed between the F&G and my Falcon. Because they are comparable, we decided on the Falcon because it weighs a little less and came with the travel bag cover. The only difference between the Falcon & the Eagle is that the Falcon has a reclining back.

OK - so this is the exact one we are using currently; I have one for each vehicle our family owns.

A couple of notes: We always remove the weird little cords that go through the grommets; we have never had a use for them, and they just get in the way. We leave it installed (see the last picture) and it folds easily between uses. The velcro goes all the way across to make it secure.

It does not go all the way across the back of our ginormous Kia Carnival van, so we just installed it on the side that we tend to load the wheelchair on. When we travel overnight, we stand it up on it's side and keep it securely in place with bungee cords. That way the chair doesn't take up the entire cargo area, and it prevents it from sliding around and possibly getting damaged.

Another note that we haven't really talked about, but many of the chairs in the "lightweight" category will require you to have the battery in the chair to charge. That came as a surprise to me; I was used to my TravelScoot, where I could leave the device in my vehicle, and just bring the batteries in with me for charging. Also, it has been interesting to see how long some of the chairs take to charge; one of my chairs charges at a fair pace, while the other is slower than I had anticipated, and can take a full 8 hours to reach a complete charge. Just one of those little surprises that I never considered before I got my first chair.

One last thing to remember about any of the "lightweight" portable chairs that many of us are using now, including the Falcon/Eagle, the Zoomer, and the Fold & Go: These chairs can still be difficult to load and unload, depending on your personal circumstances - They all weigh at least 50 pounds, and the Magshock is 60 pounds with it's batteries installed. I would *strongly* recommend that anyone who will not have help make sure that they can load and unload by themselves prior to purchase. As I have said before, I can no longer stand unassisted long enough to load or unload my personal devices myself. Standing long enough to set up the optional power lift for the Fold & Go is out of the question for me; it's very clever, but I can't use it. People who have a sedan with a traditional "trunk" (instead of the rear cargo area so common in the back of mini vans and SUVs) may have an even greater struggle, since the chair will have to go up over the lip of the trunk, (and try not to damage the weatherstripping) be placed down in the trunk for transit, and then have to be dragged back up out of the trunk at the next stop.

If you don't know anyone (locally, in your area) who has a power chair of a similar size, I would try to go to your local mobility equipment shop/dealer, and ask them to show you their lightest chair (find out what the weight is for comparison purposes) and then ask them to demo how to get it in and out of your vehicle safely. Before you make a big investment, make sure that you can actually get it in and out of your vehicle; it's important!

Also another thing regarding loading it into your trunk is that if you have a WeatherTech type line, it’s better to take it out for 2 reasons: 1. It’ll save your paint from getting chipped more often and 2. It makes sliding the chair in and out MUCH EASIER.

Apparently the posting of my cup holder and folding cane pouch didn’t post. 🤷‍♀️ So here it goes. The cup holder is soft mesh material, so I don’t have to remove it to fold my Hot Wheels and to cover it with the travel bag. Hanging my folded cane in its pouch is wonderful. Now I don’t have to worry about the cane constantly falling off the cane holder.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 9
OK - so this is the exact one we are using currently; I have one for each vehicle our family owns.

A couple of notes: We always remove the weird little cords that go through the grommets; we have never had a use for them, and they just get in the way. We leave it installed (see the last picture) and it folds easily between uses. The velcro goes all the way across to make it secure.

It does not go all the way across the back of our ginormous Kia Carnival van, so we just installed it on the side that we tend to load the wheelchair on. When we travel overnight, we stand it up on it's side and keep it securely in place with bungee cords. That way the chair doesn't take up the entire cargo area, and it prevents it from sliding around and possibly getting damaged.

Another note that we haven't really talked about, but many of the chairs in the "lightweight" category will require you to have the battery in the chair to charge. That came as a surprise to me; I was used to my TravelScoot, where I could leave the device in my vehicle, and just bring the batteries in with me for charging. Also, it has been interesting to see how long some of the chairs take to charge; one of my chairs charges at a fair pace, while the other is slower than I had anticipated, and can take a full 8 hours to reach a complete charge. Just one of those little surprises that I never considered before I got my first chair.

One last thing to remember about any of the "lightweight" portable chairs that many of us are using now, including the Falcon/Eagle, the Zoomer, and the Fold & Go: These chairs can still be difficult to load and unload, depending on your personal circumstances - They all weigh at least 50 pounds, and the Magshock is 60 pounds with it's batteries installed. I would *strongly* recommend that anyone who will not have help make sure that they can load and unload by themselves prior to purchase. As I have said before, I can no longer stand unassisted long enough to load or unload my personal devices myself. Standing long enough to set up the optional power lift for the Fold & Go is out of the question for me; it's very clever, but I can't use it. People who have a sedan with a traditional "trunk" (instead of the rear cargo area so common in the back of mini vans and SUVs) may have an even greater struggle, since the chair will have to go up over the lip of the trunk, (and try not to damage the weatherstripping) be placed down in the trunk for transit, and then have to be dragged back up out of the trunk at the next stop.

If you don't know anyone (locally, in your area) who has a power chair of a similar size, I would try to go to your local mobility equipment shop/dealer, and ask them to show you their lightest chair (find out what the weight is for comparison purposes) and then ask them to demo how to get it in and out of your vehicle safely. Before you make a big investment, make sure that you can actually get it in and out of your vehicle; it's important!
Thanks for posting the link. We don’t need it because we have a pickup truck, but in case we purchase an SUV, I saved it in my Amazon Wish List.

I wanted to add that F&G weighs more than it’s advertised. There was hardware added to the F&G for leg attachments that increased the MagShock weight. They never revised the actual weight.

My husband has only one arm, so I grab the footrest with my right hand and the bar at the bottom of the back wheels with my left hand. My husband grabs the bar at the bottom of the back wheels with his right hand. Together we have no problem lifting my HT. In the event we can no longer do this, we still have the HAMAR electric lift that we kept when we had my 174-lb Jazzy Zero Turn Scooter. We were originally planning to sell it, but decided to keep it in case we need it in the future the older we get.

Since your electric wheelchair isn’t as heavy as your previous scooter, consider getting a lighter lift for your vehicle.

Best to you.

I haven’t posted on disboards in forever because I’m immunocompromised and Disney hasn’t been an option for me since the pandemic. But I have a fold and go (a purple magshock named Iris!) and when I did a google search to see if anyone on the internets had fun decoration or modification ideas for their f&g, I ended up finding this post.
A fb friend and I were recently talking and wondering why there wasn’t an online community of f&g owners since whenever we find other people who have them we get so excited. So she ended up creating a f&g owner fb group. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post a link to it in here.
Anyway, I just finished reading through this entire thread over the past few days. There are some great ideas in here. I need to check out some of the cup holders mentioned because I’m not a fan of the one that f&g sells.

What’s the name of the group on fb?
It’s called Fold and Go Wheelchair Owners
It’s teeny still, only 3 members, lol. But it just was created a few days ago, so I’m sure it will grow. People who use fold and go definitely need a place to be able to talk specifics about them, they are different enough from standard power wheelchairs that it’s good to be able to share resources.

I just got a Porto Mobility Ranger that we haven’t even tried to load in the SUV yet. Guess I better get one of those bumper protectors for our Santa Fe

I haven’t posted on disboards in forever because I’m immunocompromised and Disney hasn’t been an option for me since the pandemic. But I have a fold and go (a purple magshock named Iris!) and when I did a google search to see if anyone on the internets had fun decoration or modification ideas for their f&g, I ended up finding this post.
A fb friend and I were recently talking and wondering why there wasn’t an online community of f&g owners since whenever we find other people who have them we get so excited. So she ended up creating a f&g owner fb group. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post a link to it in here.
Anyway, I just finished reading through this entire thread over the past few days. There are some great ideas in here. I need to check out some of the cup holders mentioned because I’m not a fan of the one that f&g sells.
I guess I’m technically challenged. I can’t find the group. Hmmm…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter