New Credit Card Authorization Holds

This was our experience a few weeks ago, too. We basically had a $2300 pending charge on our card that took a few days of being home to fall off. It was more than just a little inconvenient. It also has me really thinking about how we want to go forward with our August trip (whether it's worth it to keep the on property stay). I understand a slight hold for incidentals, or even completing the charge at a certain amount, but holding that much of someone's money is ridiculous.
Important to note that not all credit card are processed the same way.
It is changing credit card by credit card based on who handles the credit card. It's not evidently up to Disney. Yes, they push the charges through but then, some credit card companies process them one way, others another.
At least if everyone is reporting their results correctly.
It's actually making it really hard to know what to expect and honestly, probably making it not worth it at all.
I figure, why not just bring the card at this point? Band/card, what's the difference? Blech.

Important to note that not all credit card are processed the same way.
It is changing credit card by credit card based on who handles the credit card. It's not evidently up to Disney. Yes, they push the charges through but then, some credit card companies process them one way, others another.
At least if everyone is reporting their results correctly.
It's actually making it really hard to know what to expect and honestly, probably making it not worth it at all.
I figure, why not just bring the card at this point? Band/card, what's the difference? Blech.

Pretty much where we are with it. The pending charge that never disappeared showed up in the bank account on check in day, as we were driving down. It was a room only reservation, and I went to the desk specifically to pay off the room. The pending charge never came off, and the total never changed until we'd been home several days. It was for the balance of the room and ~$200. Which made sense, but should have fallen off after that charge was officially paid for.

Pretty much where we are with it. The pending charge that never disappeared showed up in the bank account on check in day, as we were driving down. It was a room only reservation, and I went to the desk specifically to pay off the room. The pending charge never came off, and the total never changed until we'd been home several days. It was for the balance of the room and ~$200. Which made sense, but should have fallen off after that charge was officially paid for.
Did you ever happen to talk to your credit card company? Curious if they'd had any answers?
Or if you'd ever had any temporary holds processed in the past, if this was different in any way

My point is, we will spend less than we would have since they have made it inconvenient to use the Magic Band. We have absolutely no idea how much will be locked up on the credit card as a result of room charging, because at the moment it seems like experiences are widely variable. I didn't say we have no budget, and I didn't say we OVERSPEND with room charging. I said we will spend less. Because we will.
Well said. WDW has taken something that was convenient and worked pretty hard to make it annoying.
We all have choices. Like you, I'll opt to keep my trip simpler, overall.

Ok I read about half of this thread and am a little confused... so I need to ask. If we have a one night stay with the dining plan can we choose to not have charging to the room?
is the CC hold only if you have room charges added? I am not worried about the CC being maxed out as thankfully all ours have $0 balances but I would rather not have room charging anyways... thanks in advance

Ok I read about half of this thread and am a little confused... so I need to ask. If we have a one night stay with the dining plan can we choose to not have charging to the room?
is the CC hold only if you have room charges added? I am not worried about the CC being maxed out as thankfully all ours have $0 balances but I would rather not have room charging anyways... thanks in advance
If you don't want any authorizations at all, do not do online check-in. If you do, you will have a $100 authorization the day you check-in. When checking in tell the CM you do not want charging privileges and you will not have any authorizations added.

If you don't want any authorizations at all, do not do online check-in. If you do, you will have a $100 authorization the day you check-in. When checking in tell the CM you do not want charging privileges and you will not have any authorizations added.
so if I do online check in they do an authorization for $100? does that mean you automatically have room charging on your account at that point? we will be using gift cards or cash for all our other transactions. but I was really hoping to do online check in

Did you ever happen to talk to your credit card company? Curious if they'd had any answers?
Or if you'd ever had any temporary holds processed in the past, if this was different in any way
They had no record of the charge and told me to contact Disney

so if I do online check in they do an authorization for $100? does that mean you automatically have room charging on your account at that point? we will be using gift cards or cash for all our other transactions. but I was really hoping to do online check in
Online check-in requires a card for Hotel Account Charges. If your room is not paid in full by the day you check-in (which shouldn't be an issue since you have a package with dining), you will have an authorization for the remaining balance due + $100 for initial charging privileges with online check-in. If you skip online check-in, you can request no charging privileges at the front desk and skip having any authorizations added.

I do not believe there is a way to complete online check-in while circumventing the first $100 hold. If you are ok with just 1, $100 hold, you can do online check-in and just not use your bands.

Online check-in requires a card for Hotel Account Charges. If your room is not paid in full by the day you check-in (which shouldn't be an issue since you have a package with dining), you will have an authorization for the remaining balance due + $100 for initial charging privileges with online check-in. If you skip online check-in, you can request no charging privileges at the front desk and skip having any authorizations added.

I do not believe there is a way to complete online check-in while circumventing the first $100 hold. If you are ok with just 1, $100 hold, you can do online check-in and just not use your bands.
You are correct. You must give them a credit card if you wish to do online check in. It's not required to do online check-in of course.

They have a pending charge but no record of it? And yet it was against your credit limit? That is odd
Yeah...it was a less than helpful phone call at the time. The following day was when the charge disappeared. So, I guess it could have been that it had finally been reversed by Disney but hadn't made its way to my account (?). I'm not sure. Could also be that it was a bank and not a credit card...which actually made it more painful.

Holy! I’ve been watching one DVC FB group throughout the day where posters are indicating problems with holds. One popped just now with almost $9000 in holds :scared1:

Oh my goodness!!
Not sure if it’s allowed, but what DVC group do you follow? I follow 2 different ones on FB, but I haven’t seen any posts about the holds.
I’m becoming a little obsessed with how this is going for others.. I tend to be an over-planner! I’m thinking we’ll just use gift cards or credit cards in the parks instead of MB’s, but really hoping for a change before our trip!
I agree with what other posters have said about just running the charges through right then, or just charging your daily balance every night instead of the holds.

Oh my goodness!!
Not sure if it’s allowed, but what DVC group do you follow? I follow 2 different ones on FB, but I haven’t seen any posts about the holds.
I’m becoming a little obsessed with how this is going for others.. I tend to be an over-planner! I’m thinking we’ll just use gift cards or credit cards in the parks instead of MB’s, but really hoping for a change before our trip!
I agree with what other posters have said about just running the charges through right then, or just charging your daily balance every night instead of the holds.
This one is DVC Disney Vacation Club Members. Not sure it’s allowed either.

My main concern with all of these little holds is that it might set off fraud protection and get the card shut off. I carry multiple cards so it's not a huge problem but the card I use for Disney trips gives high cash back for travel so when we charge everything to the room we get the highest level of cash back on everything we spend onsite. Can we go to the front desk and ask them to just charge the card in advance, say $5000 over the room cost so that we can just pull from that credit as we go and avoid the constant holds? That's the minimum we ever spend and if we use that up it should be near the end of our trip and the holds won't have a chance to get out of control.

My main concern with all of these little holds is that it might set off fraud protection and get the card shut off. I carry multiple cards so it's not a huge problem but the card I use for Disney trips gives high cash back for travel so when we charge everything to the room we get the highest level of cash back on everything we spend onsite. Can we go to the front desk and ask them to just charge the card in advance, say $5000 over the room cost so that we can just pull from that credit as we go and avoid the constant holds? That's the minimum we ever spend and if we use that up it should be near the end of our trip and the holds won't have a chance to get out of control.
That's sort of what we tried to do by paying off the entire balance way before the end of the trip....didn't work. Still ended up with the hold

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter