• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot express my level of hatred and disdain for this business model.

Ahh but Disney loves it, for them its why pay for higher level of staffing during historical slower periods. Why give guests better experiences for coming in a slow time, then a busy time, we make less profit with less guests, so why invest more heavily in labor?

It sucks but I am sure Disney has probably set some type of metric or were testing some type of metric that coincides with what is considered a acceptable wait time for guests. If lets say 90 minutes is the bench mark for slow time of the year, for Pirates. Disney with there metrics and projections of guest reservations historical fast pass info and normal park guest numbers, You can say for this time period we can use 1 or 3 less people to run this ride, and take 6 boats out of the water and the wait shouldn't reach more than 90 minutes for more than x percent in a day. Granted if Disney kept it at full staff and with all six boats you might see a 90 minute wait only be 15, but then how does that extra cost add extra profit to the coffers? WDW as much as I love it, cares a tad bit less about guest Experience then Disneyland, its staffing during 2018 "slow times" shows they have that threshold of Profit vs Experience set way more in the profit side then the experience Side.

As a side note unless I am mistaken, and I hope I am not but at least Disney hasn't tried to experiment with staffing like the clothing retailers in malls do. With on Demand Staffing, aka you are scheduled to be at work on such and such day but you have to call us a hour before your shift to see if we need you. If not then you dont work but you also dont get paid. That model might improve experience for us as guests but would suck from a employment stand point. So as much as Disneys staffing and capacity management durring slow times sucks and causes wait times much higher then the crowd level should dictate at least we dont see Disney using that method for Labor Management.

And the price point would probably be even higher if they remained fully staffed during less busy times. It just seems like the normal thing to do for any business during slower times.

I don't agree (not debating, just discussing).

I don't think that $120/ticket should mean that you should have to be subjected to longer waits just because that ticket runs $135 in the summer. It's not like it was a ghost town and the CM's would be twiddling their thumbs. The reports from those months were terrible. Perhaps it was an anomaly.

I'm not a business major or an economics major. But I am a consumer, and to me, cutting back on staffing so much that it makes your guests have a bad time is not a business strategy that I can get behind.

You spend more money on your staff, your customers have a fantastic time and you've gained customers for life. You give them a bad, frustrating time and who knows if you still have their future business.

Edited to add: in the past I've gone to wdw more than once a year. In 2018, my first and only trip will be mnsshp for one night, and I'll be staying at universal. In 2019 I have nothing planned. Just putting my money where my mouth is.

I don't agree (not debating, just discussing).

I don't think that $120/ticket should mean that you should have to be subjected to longer waits just because that ticket runs $135 in the summer. It's not like it was a ghost town and the CM's would be twiddling their thumbs. The reports from those months were terrible. Perhaps it was an anomaly.

That is the part I have an issue with ... it would be one thing if they cut back a bit and what would be a 10 min wait is now 15 or 20 ... but if you are paying the lower fee to go in the "off season" it shouldn't be 40 minute wait or whatever

Odd. We're not fla based cast, so maybe that's why but we never got the 20% discount at the kisoks and we've gone the past few yrs
I dont recall ever seeing a restriction to FL based cast only, but I wasn't looking either.
Its only ever been for Mon-Thurs with non-cash payments at most but not all of the booths. Several times I have been told there is no discount when the hub said otherwise, especially when the discount has been added after the start of the festival

And the price point would probably be even higher if they remained fully staffed during less busy times. It just seems like the normal thing to do for any business during slower times.

True as an example- lower prices on hotel rooms during non peak time. Reason they can do that is they don't have to have as much staff.

Sounds like an affordable PPO breakfast option in MK.

I am not a fan of going to the parks for breakfast, but I could get on board this one ... walking up an emptier Main Street .. having breakfast in view of the castle, but not having a "heavy" option like a big breakfast buffet.

I wonder when reservations can be had .. I have a NOV trip.

Sounds like an affordable PPO breakfast option in MK.

I am not a fan of going to the parks for breakfast, but I could get on board this one ... walking up an emptier Main Street .. having breakfast in view of the castle, but not having a "heavy" option like a big breakfast buffet.

I wonder when reservations can be had .. I have a NOV trip.

Yeah, this interests us as well.

Len Testa reported on WDWMagic that he has heard from people within Disney and they confirmed that his report that higher than expected crowds/waits in January and February is due to less staffing and capacity.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to observe things like this. We were riding Pirates last Friday at around 10:00 AM and there was a 30-minute wait listed. The Standby queue extended all the way to the outside area - and it was a solid 25-30 minute wait to get on the ride. We got to the front of the line and they were loading every other boat instead of every boat. (Only one side was loading.) Clearly this was a staffing choice that before a certain time of day, they only staffed the ride with enough staff to load one side of the ride.

Interestingly we went over the HM next which had posted a 40 minute wait but clearly didn't look like that long a line so we went on anyways. Actual wait time was less than 15 minutes. We had this happen at Na'vi river journey as well, where the ride had been down for almost all of EMH, and it opened up with like 10 minutes before park opening. I suppose this is unrelated to staffing.

I do agree that staffing so low that the lines are LONGER in the off-season than the regular season seems overdoing it. What's weird about it is Disney works very hard to get people out of lines because customers standing in lines are not spending money - so I would suggest that they may have thought the crowd level was going to be low so they cut staff, then it wasn't as low as they thought. Like the example above - perhaps they didn't anticipate so many people on Pirates so early in the day.

True as an example- lower prices on hotel rooms during non peak time. Reason they can do that is they don't have to have as much staff.
We're talking about staffing levels at the parks though and it's been told time and time again the hotel occupancy level isn't indicative of the parks crowds level.

The only complaint I've seen in regards to staffing levels consistently for a while when it comes to the hotels has been on the housekeeping front and that's been all throughout the year rather than a specific pricing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter