Not Ready For Autumn

Yes! Even pool chemicals which are needed until the pool is closed have virtually disappeared from the big box type stores. I have to either make a special trip to the pool store or order off of Amazon. Definitely a first world problem, but why do they do that? There is money to be made.
Don't pools need chemicals year round? Even our grocery store stocks pool chemicals (and BBQ charcoal) year round.

Here in the snowy Northeast, ours get covered from September to May. :cold:
But don't you need to keep the chemicals up under the cover? My MIL kept her pool covered during the winter and she still had to add chemicals a couple of times a week or the pool turned green. And after she passed, I had to do the pool upkeep for 3 months before we sold the house.......just HOW do leaves find a way under a snug cover. I learned in those 3 months why my wife said we would NEVER have a pool. I swim twice a week year round in the heated outdoor pool at the gym, all for $25 a month.

But don't you need to keep the chemicals up under the cover? My MIL kept her pool covered during the winter and she still had to add chemicals a couple of times a week or the pool turned green. And after she passed, I had to do the pool upkeep for 3 months before we sold the house.......just HOW do leaves find a way under a snug cover. I learned in those 3 months why my wife said we would NEVER have a pool. I swim twice a week year round in the heated outdoor pool at the gym, all for $25 a month.
Everyone I know up here just covers it. When it's time to open it back up they take care of everything then.

Everyone I know up here just covers it. When it's time to open it back up they take care of everything then.

Yes, they sell something called a "closing kit" in the fall here (or you just buy the same stuff yourself) and you pour it all in , cover it up, and hope for the best. :thumbsup2 Some years it's opens crystal clear, some years it opens really green, and most years it's in between. - But you just take a water sample to the pool place in the spring, they tell you exactly what you need to pour in to fix it, you run the filter a bunch, and *boom* you have a pool again.

Yes, they sell something called a "closing kit" in the fall here (or you just buy the same stuff yourself) and you pour it all in , cover it up, and hope for the best. :thumbsup2 Some years it's opens crystal clear, some years it opens really green, and most years it's in between. - But you just take a water sample to the pool place in the spring, they tell you exactly what you need to pour in to fix it, you run the filter a bunch, and *boom* you have a pool again.
"Pour it all in, cover it up, and hope for the best." This is why you look at specific forums to answer these questions. By learning the chemistry of sanitizing your pool rather than just throwing chemicals in (that's what you're doing during the summer when you use the chlorine pucks, throwing the chemicals in and hoping for the best since you don't know what is happening by using the chlorine pucks.)

If you properly close the pool, the chemicals are balanced sufficiently and the pool is covered, therefore eliminating the growth of algae that needs the sunlight and burning off the sanitizing chlorine due to sunlight. After properly closing the pool, in the spring when you open it, it should be ready to swim with minimal cleaning and effort.

I already celebrated Christmas in July and now I'm ready for fall and cooler weather (although in NC that doesn't really happen until late October if we're lucky). I already made a super cute mickey wreath for fall, but that won't be hung up until the first day of autumn.

Don't pools need chemicals year round? Even our grocery store stocks pool chemicals (and BBQ charcoal) year round.

I live in a colder climate. Pool weather starts around Memorial Day (if you’re lucky) and ends around Labor Day. Ours is a quickset pool that is completely disassembled and boxed back up for the winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter