Official 2016 - Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend

We ran Vegas this weekend too and I think I liked Avengers more than RNR Vegas. Next year it's Infinity Gauntlet Challenge for sure!

Had my first DNF this weekend and I'm still distraught over it...long story short, I have an undiagnosed pain that doctors can't find on any scan or test. It's been hurting for 10 weeks and I swear it's a hernia but doctors keep saying there's nothing there and to "live my life".

Made it through the 10k (walking) fine but didn't make it much past mile 1 in the half before I knew I wouldn't finish. Now, I won't have all of the "stones" of the gauntlet, I've lost my legacy status and failed for the first time in 12 half marathons (7 challenges)

Sorry for the rant, but I felt like this group would understand my pain better then any of the friends or family who have no idea how heartbreaking this is.

Just got a survey from runDisney about the weekend. They're looking into package deals with race registrations (feedback, ie: would you do this) and general feedback about what I liked or didn't like.

I did find one complaint: no Two Times Four platter at Steakhouse 55. They changed the menu for race weekend and wouldn't honor the regular menu. Boo! We walked out and ended up having Mcdonalds on the way home LOL.

We had a great weekend. I did the 5K and DH did the 5, 10, and Half. Got great times for all and even stopped for a few pictures (I'm always trying to get him to stop but he never does). It was really hot and really crowded in the parks. We only went in for a few hours on Saturday and a few on Sunday, both in the late afternoon. It was just way too crazy in the mornings. Even yesterday morning was crazy at opening. I think I walked about a 10K trying to follow DH around to see him at various spots running. The shuttle to Angel's Stadium must have been pretty empty because none of the workers knew where it was and they were all directing people to the valet stand the DL hotel instead of the Pinocchio lot. By the time I figured out that they were wrong, I didn't have enough time to get there and back to watch DH finish. But I certainly got a lot of steps on the wild goose chase.

Had my first DNF this weekend and I'm still distraught over it...long story short, I have an undiagnosed pain that doctors can't find on any scan or test. It's been hurting for 10 weeks and I swear it's a hernia but doctors keep saying there's nothing there and to "live my life".

Made it through the 10k (walking) fine but didn't make it much past mile 1 in the half before I knew I wouldn't finish. Now, I won't have all of the "stones" of the gauntlet, I've lost my legacy status and failed for the first time in 12 half marathons (7 challenges)

Sorry for the rant, but I felt like this group would understand my pain better then any of the friends or family who have no idea how heartbreaking this is.

So sorry to hear this! Hope you hang in there and resolve the health mystery - so difficult when one doesn't have a clear diagnosis. :(

Quick report from us! The half marathon really exceeded our expectations! This race was somewhat of an afterthought - thrown in at the last moment during a college visit weekend as a way to earn the coast to coast. I read many negative reports about this event from various sources, so my expectations were low. But wow - really loved this race!

1. Expo. Went on Friday. Despite initial frustration regarding parking (we were rerouted away from Mickey and Friends - boo) the actual expo was a complete and total breeze. Didn't need race merch, so no lines for us - quick bib pickup, quick shirt pickup, a swing around the expo and we were done.

2. Pre-race. Drove in from the beach. Left at 3:30 am and arrived at Mickey and Friends at 4am. No traffic - none. Super easy entry into Mickey and Friends. No line AT ALL at the porta potties outside corrals. Got into our corral early and waited. Great costumes, great music. No lines for porta potties near corral. Best race announcers of any Disney race to date - they were silly but in a more funny, real way. Loved the Corral A group's chants - especially during sponsorship announcements.

3. Course - Part I. Yeah, it was a little crowded, but nothing too terrible. My current POT would have put me in Corral A, but the POT I used put me in Corral B and I dropped back to run with my son in Corral C. Corral C is a friendly group! The start of this race is great fun. Radiator Springs in the dark is very cool and the energy in the parks is fantastic.

4. Course - Part II. OK, I don't know about the old course, but I love the new course. Too bad the park stuff needs to be at the beginning, but if you have to go out on the streets, this was great! One thing I like about non-Disney property is the fact that anyone can show up and do anything - that's entertaining. The huge vats of Red Vines with people yelling "Candy from Strangers!" The person with the huge bag of M&Ms outside the stadium. The unauthorized super heroes. The USO dancers. The USO people in the middle of the super heroes that didn't get the memo about USO location! So fun! The only thing I didn't like was the very end - would be great if we could at least do some of the last mile in Downtown Disney and not in a parking lot, but that's fine. Finish line was great - lots of energy and well organized.

5. People. Volunteers were plentiful and super friendly! Loved them! Fellow runners were great! I ran a local half the weekend before at race pace and was given a 2-hand shove by a guy at a water stop, so I was happy to be back at Disney with all the friendly people around us!

6. Post-Race. We ran slowly enough that we were relatively fresh post-race, so we changed and went directly into California Adventure. So glad we ended up going on Sunday rather than Friday. We spent the entire day there, really enjoyed sharing Festival of Holiday food throughout the day and loved the "lights off" TOT at night. 18 hours after we first parked the car in Mickey and Friends, we returned to the lot to drive back to the beach. Great day!

Here is my quick recap:
Thank you Disneyland for hosting a great race weekend for me and my kids!
DS 18 and I flew from Boston. Plane landed early at LAX but due to construction and backup, we were held on the tarmac for 90 minutes!!! Ughhh. DD22 was already waiting at LAX as she flew from DC. Reserved SuperShuttle and they were great (LA traffic wasn't) Checked in at Disneyland Hotel around 2pm and got assigned to the Frontier Tower. We dropped off luggage and headed to the expo. Picked up my preorder park hopper from GET travel, another great smooth transaction. No line for official merchandise and it looked like there were plenty left, although I only wanted a magnet and a challenge tank, ended up with a hat and water glass as well. Bib pick up was no hassle at all. I ran the 10k with DD and DS and the Half by myself. The weather was great, a little warm for this New Englander but it was early enough that I only felt hot at the end of half. I was in D for 10k and was able to get photos with Hawkeye, Spiderman and Black Widow. Dr. Strange's line was way too long by the time I got there. For the Half I was in Corral F and I got Thor & Dr. Strange. I love the community support of the DL races and running through Angel Stadium makes that boring part of the course much more interesting. Love my Photopass photos, altho they put the wrong banner on my challenge finish photo, LOL. Gave them a call today and they will fix. I find that I enjoy the DL races much more than WDW, being able to walk to the corrals, the community support and the flat course!! I'll be back in May for Tink and my pink c2c :)

I had a great 1st race!!!! Quick recap:
Got to DLR Wednesday evening - stayed at Candy Cane Inn. Wasn't too bad although they say that their beds at queen - nope! What we got were definitely double beds. Got up early Thursday morning so I could be one of the 1st in line for the merch. I think I was part of the 1st 50 in line or so. As a result, got 1st pick of merch, but from everyone I talked with, I didn't need to get up early and be there at 8am. Apparently this race is the 'red-headed step-child' of the RunDisney world (another runner in line's comment) and there isn't as much of a demand for everything at this race. I really loved all of the merch I got but was kind of sad there wasn't a race-specific wine glass. :( Oh well, less money spent (although I did spend a lot :rotfl2:). Picking up my bib was a breeze and only waited a couple of minutes in that line.

Friday morning - Left the hotel around 4:45ish (later than I had wanted). Was in Corral C and was about the middle back of the pack, especially once they started moving us forward. I had a good race although I started a lot faster than I normally do and should of. As a result, it kinda messed me up in the ankles and shins (I suffer from bad shin splits and very weak ankles - result of years of ballet). I made it through and managed to finish in the middle of the pack. I loved seeing all of the back stage aspects and absolutely loved all of the CMs out there cheering us on! I loved coming on the next group of what I think was custodial CMs and they were some of the best cheer squad out there! They had Mickey gloves on and were giving us all high fives! I was a little disappointed with short amount of time spent in DL but I understand, especially with all of the construction and how narrow the paths are at DL. Overall, I have to say that the volunteers were absolutely amazing! The ones at the water stop were great, encouraging us and the ones giving us the race goodies at the end were fantastic!

Went to DL on Friday after the race and was amazed at the amount of people trying to get into the parks!!!! :scared1: I know that it was the start of the Holiday Time and it was Veteran's Day and the race weekend but I could not believe it! Of course, we chose the wrong line and it took over an hour to get into DL from the Esplanade. :sad2: We saw the retiring of the colors in the afternoon which was very nice, especially as they recognized the CMs who were in the military. I did a picture of Captain America with my medal in the evening over in DCA but the interaction wasn't the greatest. I was the 2nd to last group to see him and while he had had quite a bit of interaction with all of the other groups, I think he was ready to take a break at that point (I was also solo and an adult so...). I was okay with everything though - I got my picture and that was what mattered to me.

Saturday I was definitely sore and stiff and tired. We spent most of the day in DCA and the lines were still crazy long (TLM was over 25 minutes!). It also didn't help that RSR was down most of the day (we left about 3 so I don't know if it opened up after that). It got really warm and by that point my parents (who had gone on the trip with me) were over being at DLR with the heat and the crowds.

I had a great time overall and I can't wait to do another RunDisney race. I am definitely going to next year's Super Heroes and planning on doing the 5K and 10K at this point. I wonder if the themes will stay the same? Guardians 2 will be out in May so I wonder if they will use that? :confused3

Just wanted to report back - I was able to see my husband run by in the 10K in three places. I waited initially at the corner of Katella and Disney Way.... then walked briskly down to Katella and Harbor... then walked in a much more leisurely fashion to the transportation drop off area, across the Esplanade, and through DTD to meet him at the finish line. Thank you all for your suggestions on how to accomplish this!

I don't know if anyone else got it, but I just got an email from RunDisney thanking me for participating and inviting me to sign up for next year's race already. I want to do both the 5K and the 10K but I'm having problems spending $200 for both races. :scared1: Anyone else struggle with spending money like that for the races? In my head, $80 is fine but $200 is pushing it - don't ask me why. :rotfl2:

I don't know if anyone else got it, but I just got an email from RunDisney thanking me for participating and inviting me to sign up for next year's race already. I want to do both the 5K and the 10K but I'm having problems spending $200 for both races. :scared1: Anyone else struggle with spending money like that for the races? In my head, $80 is fine but $200 is pushing it - don't ask me why. :rotfl2:
Since I fly in from the East Coast, I can't justify for just one race, so I usually do 10k & half and occasionally a 5k. I'm doing all 3 for Tink. My issue is that Disney wants us to sign up so early with no deferral policy or insurance offered.

We had a great time last weekend! Loved running a "small" RD race of 8K people vs 24K at PHM.
Having the same characters for each race (all weekend) was something I have never seen RD do before- although makes for less photo stops delays!
For those who have done this race in the past- do they change the characters much from year to year?
I know this year Dr Strange and Spiderman were new this year- right? Was Hulk there last year?
Who else have they had in the past?

We had a great time last weekend! Loved running a "small" RD race of 8K people vs 24K at PHM.
Having the same characters for each race (all weekend) was something I have never seen RD do before- although makes for less photo stops delays!
For those who have done this race in the past- do they change the characters much from year to year?
I know this year Dr Strange and Spiderman were new this year- right? Was Hulk there last year?
Who else have they had in the past?

They do not release the theme until later but have been releasing them a few months before the race with medal reveals. Nothing is set but this would be just my guess. I think they are trying to make the 10k theme go with whatever movies released in november. This year was Dr Strange. Coincidently, next year Thor is coming out in November. So my guess.. I emphasize guess... is that next year, the 10k theme will be thor. As for the kids race and spiderman, that will change but your guess would be good as mine.

I would also guess the 10k medal next year will be thor's hammer.

Last edited:

I love this idea because you can use your 5K to get the characters and run run run your 10K and/or half marathon race. I opted to go for a PR for my race and only ran by the characters. I loved how many there were!

The Doctor Strange 10K was my first race ever (of any kind!), and I had a fantastic experience! I finished in 1:40:45 (16:13 pace, but I was in Corral F so I didn't get swept). That was pretty much on target with my training 10K where I finished in 1:30:00 (I had 2 stops during the actual run..one for a bathroom in Bug's Land and one w/Spiderman). I got a little bit worried as we were running out of tomorrowland, back up towards Small World (to go around and then under the castle) when we saw them closing the course for people coming down from small world/toontown, but we just didn't stop for any more characters at that point and had no problems finishing. I was so thrilled when I crossed the finish line that I was half crying half trying to breathe :)

DH surprised me before the trip by putting together a Tuxedo Mask running outfit to go with my Sailor Moon..we had a lot of great interactions on the course because of the costumes :) The pic we had with spiderman was great..as soon as I activate our Photopass, I'll post the pic here.

I would love to do another race, but I'm not happy with the early registration dates that runDisney is putting up this year. We need to work around DD's school, and won't have the school calendar for 2017-2018 by the time registration opens. With registration dates so far out, I don't know that we'll be able to commit. Part of why we choose DLR over WDW (since we come from the east coast) is precisely NOT having to have everything laid out so far in advance. It's frustrating that runDisney is changing the dates so much :(

Just wanted to report back - I was able to see my husband run by in the 10K in three places. I waited initially at the corner of Katella and Disney Way.... then walked briskly down to Katella and Harbor... then walked in a much more leisurely fashion to the transportation drop off area, across the Esplanade, and through DTD to meet him at the finish line. Thank you all for your suggestions on how to accomplish this!

So glad to hear that worked out! I'm sure your husband appreciated it!

I'm slow posting my review and feelings of the weekend... But I had an AWESOME time! The park looked great and we loved all the Christmas stuff. The Festival of Holiday's was fun I loved the Southern Mac and Cheese, Sweet potato pie, eggnog cheesecake. We did the Dessert party for World of Color: Season of Light and LOVED it.

We ran the Doctor Strange 10K and had a great time. Last year I sent runDisney an email because after the 10K I felt like they had missed some opportunities.... Well I'm happy to report each of those concerns were fixed this year. How cool was it that they brought in the Dr. Strange character even though they don't have him doing meet and greets in California. Plus the parks look beautiful this time of year. Once again the Photopass photographers did a great job. We were able to get pictures with each of the characters, and then get pictures in the park with our medals and Captain America and Spider-Man.

So yeah. Overall it was awesome. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do the early registration for next year. :)

Hey everyone, I am taking part in the Tinker Bell weekend this year, to those that ran during this race weekend, how do you get to the corrals if you are staying off site? We havn't booked yet, but are thinking about the easiest way from Katella, S Harbor and Disneyland Drive.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I am taking part in the Tinker Bell weekend this year, to those that ran during this race weekend, how do you get to the corrals if you are staying off site? We havn't booked yet, but are thinking about the easiest way from Katella, S Harbor and Disneyland Drive.

Thanks!

This past Avengers race we stayed at the Residence Inn off of S. Harbor and Katella and I thought it worked great for getting to the corrals. It's a bit of a walk (I think it was just under a mile) but I always enjoy jogging to the starting line to get warmed up. I just jogged up to Disneyland Drive and followed the crowds from there.

If you can get it, there's a Best Western Stovall Inn right on Disneyland Drive. It's the best location-wise but prices can vary. I've stayed there before for the Disneyland race and loved that the start/finish was right there. Can't remember if they do anything special for runners but I don't think they did back in 2012

Residence Inn had a good runner's welcome for the weekend. They opened up a continental breakfast early that morning and offered their full buffet at the normal time as well (this is included with your stay). They had all sorts of granola bars and snacks for runners, too. I enjoyed their coffee bar as they had some of the flavored syrups. Just a suggestion if you're still looking :)

Thank you for your help! So you can access the corrals from walking along Katella and up Disneyland Drive?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter