******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also have a 10 night booking - now we are honestly trying to figure out how we would even use the gift cards if we have FD. We fly (lack of extra space in luggage to get things home) & have traveled to WDW several times so trinkets / keepsakes each trip are kept at a minimum. The trip will be paid for so the GCs won't help with that & we always end up with extra credits AND this trip DS will be 10, meaning he gets an ADULT entree - so I suspect we will have even more extra credits this go round than usual... parties & special extras are usually full so it's not like we could wait I'm seriously considering POR except I like CBR & am a bit of a "deal addict" AND I figure if there are a lot of vacant rooms due to construction or whatever busses may be less crowded ... sigh decisions decisions
You could always use the GC money for tips on all those meals, or drinks not covered by the plan, or ship some souvenirs home if no room in luggage...it's not a bad problem to have!

That'll be me this year! You know someone at Disney has a sense of humor. LOL

I knew this year we would be going and would want free dining. So last year I went through the whole process even getting up at 4am. Lol. In 2014 when we had free dining I just lucked into it. Happened to come on Dis see it at the top in blue, screamed to my hubby to look at it, and booked that night.

This was only my experience last year but it seemed harder to get selections at the drop of free dining. But when I kept checking over the course of a month a lot of selection would come up (I was looking early December.) I don't know if disney adds more or if everyone snatches it up and then let's it go.
We also have a 10 night booking - now we are honestly trying to figure out how we would even use the gift cards if we have FD. We fly (lack of extra space in luggage to get things home) & have traveled to WDW several times so trinkets / keepsakes each trip are kept at a minimum. The trip will be paid for so the GCs won't help with that & we always end up with extra credits AND this trip DS will be 10, meaning he gets an ADULT entree - so I suspect we will have even more extra credits this go round than usual... parties & special extras are usually full so it's not like we could wait I'm seriously considering POR except I like CBR & am a bit of a "deal addict" AND I figure if there are a lot of vacant rooms due to construction or whatever busses may be less crowded ... sigh decisions decisions
You need ideas on how to spend $$. Here I am! JK. I was thinking if I got it (don't think it's happening now) that we could use a couple of our free dining credits for signature and use some gift card money for our cheapest meals OOP. Also paying for tips and wine/beer. Then a few souvenirs for the kids.

Hi! I love watching this thread. It'll be my first time trying to get free Dining this year. How much does it cost to upgrade the quick service to regular dining plan? Just in case we stay at POP and not POR.
I've read somewhere that it's 18$ per adult per day I believe.

There is some really nice ART throuout the parks and they will ship it home, if its cheap enough you could even pay for shipping with the card. Would be a nice reminder of your trip

That'll be me this year! You know someone at Disney has a sense of humor. LOL

I knew this year we would be going and would want free dining. So last year I went through the whole process even getting up at 4am. Lol. In 2014 when we had free dining I just lucked into it. Happened to come on Dis see it at the top in blue, screamed to my hubby to look at it, and booked that night.

This was only my experience last year but it seemed harder to get selections at the drop of free dining. But when I kept checking over the course of a month a lot of selection would come up (I was looking early December.) I don't know if disney adds more or if everyone snatches it up and then let's it go.
POR was bookable til October 1st last year. It was just excluded during the fd dates in November and December.

I didn't say anything about POR so not sure if you meant to quote me. That being said POR royal rooms were available in May for booking for free dining during December. I booked it and let it go. Everyone says this didn't happen but I have email of the transaction. Must have been rare and I just happened on it. Wasn't there at drop of free dining came up much later. Wasn't available for standard rooms just royal.

So moral if you don't get what you want keep checking.

I didn't say anything about POR so not sure if you meant to quote me. That being said POR royal rooms were available in May for booking for free dining during December. I booked it and let it go. Everyone says this didn't happen but I have email of the transaction. Must have been rare and I just happened on it. Wasn't there at drop of free dining came up much later. Wasn't available for standard rooms just royal.

So moral if you don't get what you want keep checking.

I didn't quote you. I quoted @julieb5.

Anyways, why did people say that you didn't book a RR in May? The Royal rooms were the last rooms to book up cause they're pricey. I saw lots of availability during the first month or so of the FD release depending on what dates I plugged in.

Also there was a wave of new rooms released a week or two after FD dropped and then a week or two later. Lots of people were cancelling and rebooking like crazy during that time period, so I feel like Disney saved up those cancelled rooms and rereleased them in waves.

So you're right. Keep checking. :)

This seems about right. When I booked my 9 nights at ASMu I noted the difference between QSP and DDP for 4 people was $650.
When did you do this? I'm thinking of making that change for three people. We were guestimating around 20 a piece. so around 540.

We stayed at POP in Nov. 2015 and are going again this Nov and staying at CBR. Last time, I was waiting at release time to call and add on free dining. As I checked my reservation online, it allowed me to modify my reservation and add free dining. It was so simple and I didn't have to wait on the phone. As I'm preparing for the release of free dining this year, I looked at my reservation and there is no "modify reservation" link. It says to modify or cancel that I'd have to call. Any ideas on why this is? Or if discounts become available, does the link appear?

Hi! I love watching this thread. It'll be my first time trying to get free Dining this year. How much does it cost to upgrade the quick service to regular dining plan? Just in case we stay at POP and not POR.
I think there are two different $ amounts depending on the offer. If you took the summer "half off" you get one quick service a day and the upgrade is $ 40.00 per day for each adult. If you are at a value resort that is included in the FD fall offer, the quick service includes more(You can look that up on MDE) and is less money to upgrade. I think I was told
$ 20.00 a day for adults. The prices for kids are different. Maybe someone else can verify the exact amounts.

There is some really nice ART throuout the parks and they will ship it home, if its cheap enough you could even pay for shipping with the card. Would be a nice reminder of your trip
That's a very good idea - THANK YOU. Our home office is loosely decorated in Disney... bookshelf full of Disney planning books, Disney ink pens, my framed Disney stock certificate from a few years ago, a few photos from Disney, Disney screen saver, etc... with $750 I bet I could get a nicer item than I'd ever actually buy myself. I like purses & DH suggested a D&B purse but I've never loved the Disney designs really - art would be nice for our whole family to enjoy.

I didn't quote you. I quoted @julieb5.

Anyways, why did people say that you didn't book a RR in May? The Royal rooms were the last rooms to book up cause they're pricey. I saw lots of availability during the first month or so of the FD release depending on what dates I plugged in.

Also there was a wave of new rooms released a week or two after FD dropped and then a week or two later. Lots of people were cancelling and rebooking like crazy during that time period, so I feel like Disney saved up those cancelled rooms and rereleased them in waves.

So you're right. Keep checking. :)
I don't know. But I've been told and read even in this thread that POR did not get offered for free dining in Nov or Dec. but glad I'm not the only one who saw this!! Things must show up different on phone it looked like you only quoted me. Yes that was my experience as well. The more I looked the better the options got. And I hear people say things like the dates were very limited and very few rooms... I was pleasantly surprised at what I could find a month after FD dropped. And I was a month late booking in 2014. This year looks tougher for sure just surprised by some people's perspective of last year.

When did you do this? I'm thinking of making that change for three people. We were guestimating around 20 a piece. so around 540.

I think there are two different $ amounts depending on the offer. If you took the summer "half off" you get one quick service a day and the upgrade is $ 40.00 per day for each adult. If you are at a value resort that is included in the FD fall offer, the quick service includes more(You can look that up on MDE) and is less money to upgrade. I think I was told
$ 20.00 a day for adults. The prices for kids are different. Maybe someone else can verify the exact amounts.

This year it is $21.16 adult per night and $4.07 child per night to upgrade from QS to DDP.

You know when you book you can add on dining? Well On that page I compared the price between the quick service and the regular. So if I get the quick service for free then my cost to upgrade would be the difference in the two. You could just quickly go through a fake ressie you aren't going to book and look at what the difference is. Or you could find a site that lists the breakdown in costs. It was just right there so I noted it.

I only have a "cancel" button, no "modify". And I have done nothing to my reservation since I made it. Argh.
Does that mean the easiest thing is just to get a new reservation, then cancel the old one, if I am making it online?
It seems if I called, they would be able to modify the reservation, but it is very difficult to get through when FD drops, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter