Parenting advice

I very rarely iron. I can't even remember if I have a working iron - oh wait, I did replace our old one not too long ago, but I honestly can't say I've ever actually used it, lol. I also don't like wrinkly clothes. Here we try to take clothes out of the dryer and hang or fold them while they're still warm and unwrinkled. If something sits in the dryer or otherwise gets wrinkled, it goes back in the dryer again for a few minutes just to get the wrinkles out before wearing. That works well for us. I'd also iron only if it's something you enjoy doing, not something you feel obligated to do - especially for someone else. Eventually you'll resent doing it and that's not a road you should go down in a new marriage, and in a new role as step Mom, etc. I do appreciate that you want the kids to look good, I always did myself, too. But find ways to make it a little easier on yourself. And I agree with a pp, if MIL sees she has a happy son and well taken care of and happy grandchildren, then that should suffice. But that said, I wouldn't strive just to make her happy at this point, you have enough on your plate right now just keeping your head above water. Hang in there, you're doing fine. :flower3:

I very rarely iron. I can't even remember if I have a working iron - oh wait, I did replace our old one not too long ago, but I honestly can't say I've ever actually used it, lol. I also don't like wrinkly clothes. Here we try to take clothes out of the dryer and hang or fold them while they're still warm and unwrinkled. If something sits in the dryer or otherwise gets wrinkled, it goes back in the dryer again for a few minutes just to get the wrinkles out before wearing. That works well for us. I'd also iron only if it's something you enjoy doing, not something you feel obligated to do - especially for someone else. Eventually you'll resent doing it and that's not a road you should go down in a new marriage, and in a new role as step Mom, etc. I do appreciate that you want the kids to look good, I always did myself, too. But find ways to make it a little easier on yourself. And I agree with a pp, if MIL sees she has a happy son and well taken care of and happy grandchildren, then that should suffice. But that said, I wouldn't strive just to make her happy at this point, you have enough on your plate right now just keeping your head above water. Hang in there, you're doing fine. :flower3:

Thank you for the kind words. I don't mind ironing, actually, but I don't love it when I just finish ironing something and I find it under a rug shortly thereafter. Lol. I figure we try our pants off and love those kids like mad, so that more than cancels out the mistakes.

I'm coming around to this...but new wife, new step mom, if keeping the kids all ironed makes the woman less tiresome, I'm ok with it for a bit longer. I have made some boundaries about not just "stopping by" but Rome wasn't built in a day, right? And right now I'm having to pick my battles. That's what I keep telling myself at least:)

You shouldn't have to pick your battles with your mother-in-law. They aren't her kids. Honestly set the bar high for boundaries in the beginning and let it be known judgemental opinions will not be tolerated. She needs to bite her tongue or she will only get worse, not better. Trust me, if she's like that, and I know the type, you will never be good enough no matter what you do until the day one of you dies. That's her problem, not yours, not the kids. Be secure in making those kids happy for them not her.

Not naming names but that goes on in my own family circles. The mother-in-law is always judging the state of the house, the state of the children. Everything is the fault of the daughter-in-law. The couple have been married 15 years and the daughter-in-law gives not a fig what the old bat thinks of her.

I say this kindly but grow a pair. You aren't young and this isn't your first rodeo. Stop giving a crap what others who don't matter think of you.

Thank you for the kind words. I don't mind ironing, actually, but I don't love it when I just finish ironing something and I find it under a rug shortly thereafter. Lol. I figure we try our pants off and love those kids like mad, so that more than cancels out the mistakes.

That's why it's not worth ironing kid's clothes. They can't keep them unwrinkled, nor should they.

About the kids and clothes--it was always my philosophy that if I let them dress themselves and pick out their own clothes as preschoolers, then maybe they wouldn't be goth or dress oddly as teens. It worked!

Our 2nd son, the jokester, was about comfort and careful about waistbands and things that were tight. He has wide feet like DH and when he'd put on his own velcro shoes at age 3/4, he would put them on the wrong feet as he said it felt better. Most of the times, it wasn't a big deal to me and I let him go.

Our 3rd son, the sneaky one, was our GQ kid and loved to dress nicely. But on a budget and with kids to quickly dress, he wore the hand me downs that I had on hand.

Both of them are well adjusted and in college. And 2nd son now has to dress professionally every day for school. He manages fine in his khakis, dress shoes and polo/button down shirts.

Oh, and in the teen years, I taught my kids once or twice how to iron and they have ironed since. All 3 boys have asked for an iron and ironing board as they've headed to college.

This too shall pass and we all do the best we can and hope/pray for the rest!

I did read a hack about a year ago and I've been using it myself. (Which is probably why I've used the iron less.) I'll share here. If you just have something very small to iron, a curling iron works well, especially the flat type. I use it just on my work jackets when the snap side gets folded on itself, and it works great. Luckily my DD had the flat type of curling iron.

Lol my mom was big on ironing, she knew that she was always free to iron her grandkids’ clothing anytime she wanted. Before any holiday or special occasion, she’d stop by to pick up my kids clothes, and deliver them back to me.

When I met him, my MIL was ironing DH's work clothes. I didn't. Sometimes they were wrinkled, and sometimes he ironed them himself (before we learned about using the dryer). She didn't hold it against me, and I didn't try to please her that way. We got along pretty well. I'm sure there were things that she didn't like but fortunately she saw the bigger picture.

I need to remember this. As a professional I'm b-a, but I'm insecure in this momming. I shouldn't be. Those kids love me, trust me, and I know it, I just have to remember that more.

I'm sure you are a great step mom. It's perfectly normal of all first time parents and step parents to think we aren't good enough. We only can do our best and when we stop trying to show the world we are good parents, we become better ones. Patience, kindness and love are what make good parents. And protecting the kids from people who don't have their best interests at heart. I'm guessing that being a step parent can be harder than being a parent in some ways as you think the world is watching. Stop caring about the world and focus on your family's happiness.

Ironed kid's outfits that stay that way, perfect homes, or brilliant kids who excel in everything are more about our own insecurities than anything.

When I was a first time mom many moons ago I used to hover over parenting books trying to find my way. A few of them really helped me a lot to know my feelings were normal and they gave me great advice. No snark in self help books.

I think when it comes to "watching children", there are extremes, but the vast majority of us probably fall somewhere in the middle. And the middle is probably pretty large with room for lots of variation.

The personalities of the children also need to be taken into account. I remember a girl I worked with before I had children myself saying that her toddler daughter would sit in the back yard for a half an hour digging in the dirt with a spoon! I'd hoped for something like that when I had my own kids, but alas, God gave me two very active twins that kept me on my toes every moment. The first time I let them out of their stroller to walk in the mall, one ran one way, into a store and under a rack of clothes, while the other ran down an opposite hallway toward the door to outside. :scared: I had to make a split-second decision so I ran after the one headed for the door, temporarily leaving the one in the store and hoping she wouldn't run further away.

At home I also remember them being missing and running around looking for them after my going to the bathroom or something. Couldn't find them until I heard laughter outside - despite the bitter cold and I think a dusting of snow, they were out on the swing set naked having a heck of a time. I wasn't one to hover, but I did need to use the eyes in the back of my head when my two were little because their personalities were such that they were each very active. A friend of mine who used to watch my kids for me sometimes, who had children two or three years apart herself, noted that (let's see if I can say this right)... with twins, they are both around the same intellectual level and you can't generally ask one to help with the other one or go do something the way you can with an older and a younger child. I had never thought about it that way, but it may help account for some of the craziness you feel with two or more the same age.

One of the problems for me, also (so I understand where LSUMiss is coming from) is that I spent three years working in a pediatric ER and saw things that nobody ever wants to see - a foot in a potato salad container that had been severed by a lawnmower, a drowned 3yo, lots of severe lacerations, abuse cases, burns from hot liquids, car accidents and hit by car, critical illnesses, etc. These aren't things you can just remove from your consciousness when you have kids yourself. All these years later I still remember details - parents' faces, screams, sorrow. Safety was always a pretty high priority for me. At home we have a multi-level house but it was pretty safe as we had lots of gates and child proofing, until they learned to climb over gates or otherwise move to a different area. Outside our yard was fenced, and I had certain ways of getting the kids into and out of the car so one didn't run off into traffic (as I'd seen in one particular tragedy from the ER). Pools and the beach were probably the place I was least comfortable because even if other people were around, it was practically impossible to keep an eye on both children at all times (so in those situations, they generally wore vests). That period only lasted for a relatively short while, overall, until they were reliable not to run away and/or could swim on their own.

I think a pp, @firefly_irs, got it right when he or she said we're all doing our best.
You bring up a good point. I am a social worker & I have worked in a hospital pediatric unit so I have seen similar things.

[QUOTE="AnnaFloridaLover, post: 59895809, member: 544337" And protecting the kids from people who don't have their best interests at heart. [/QUOTE]

Yep. These are great kids, who are thriving, bright, well mannered, and well loved. I KNOW I need to let the little stuff go and just keep doing what we're doing. And the kid hasn't hid anything in days!

I did read a hack about a year ago and I've been using it myself. (Which is probably why I've used the iron less.) I'll share here. If you just have something very small to iron, a curling iron works well, especially the flat type. I use it just on my work jackets when the snap side gets folded on itself, and it works great. Luckily my DD had the flat type of curling iron.

I have a flat iron I could definitely see using for just a quick collar. Great hack!

[QUOTE="AnnaFloridaLover, post: 59895809, member: 544337" And protecting the kids from people who don't have their best interests at heart.

Yep. These are great kids, who are thriving, bright, well mannered, and well loved. I KNOW I need to let the little stuff go and just keep doing what we're doing. And the kid hasn't hid anything in days![/QUOTE]

That's great. And before you know it the child will be on to a new way to perplex and worry you. That's their job until they leave the nest.

I'm coming around to this...but new wife, new step mom, if keeping the kids all ironed makes the woman less tiresome, I'm ok with it for a bit longer. I have made some boundaries about not just "stopping by" but Rome wasn't built in a day, right? And right now I'm having to pick my battles. That's what I keep telling myself at least:)
Nope, nope, nope. Do not go down this road with her. Doing things to try to earn her approval is only going to make her more tiresome, not less. You’ll grow weary of the time and effort you spend trying to please her, resentment will build, and eventually you won’t want to be around her anymore.

Currently, in order to visit your MIL, you waste time doing stupid ish like ironing a toddler’s clothes for the pumpkin patch. How did this become a thing in the first place? She made a snide comment about the kids’ clothes being wrinkled once? So now you stress yourself out making sure everyone is starched and pressed before every visit? The next snide comment she’s going to make will be about their table manners and before you know it, dinnertime at your house is going to turn into tears and tantrums as you try to get a three year old to hold his fork properly. Whether you win or lose that battle won’t matter ultimately, because she’ll move on to commenting that his hair is too long. Will you start wrestling him into the barber’s chair prior to every visit with grandma? What if he doesn’t like his hair short, will you prioritize MIL’s preferences over his feelings? Or will you make excuses about his long hair to her that start with, “Well, his mother....” Because that’s its own can of worms.

She WILL affect your family relationships if you let her, and by treating her criticisms as if they matter, that’s what you’re doing. Establish your boundaries. Tell your husband that you want to have a harmonious relationship with his mother and for that to happen respect needs to go both ways. Stop chasing the approval you’ll never get. Let your husband deal with her. If she says something about wrinkled clothes, put the ball in his court. “Great question! Honey, why didn’t you iron your children’s clothes? You know how much your mother loves a pressed pleat.” She says something about that being the wife’s job, you muster your most genuine expression of shock and say most delightfully, “Keep your voice down, MIL! You’re showing your age.” Don’t entertain her negativity for one second, and certainly don’t let it carry over into your family life.

Last edited:
Another story on ironing-One day dh needed a shirt ironed. As he got out the iron and ironing board he sighed and jokingly said, 'Maybe one day I'll have a wife who irons.' Without skipping a beat I said, 'Yeah and maybe she'll iron my stuff, too.' He's never asked me to iron again. I've offered on occasion. But more importantly, I look for wrinkle free shirts to buy him and take clothesout of the dryer quickly!

Anyone have/had a toddler who hides things? The boy (almost 3) and the smartest kid I've ever been around, LOVES to hide stuff. His sister's ballet clothes, shoes in a largely unused kitchen cabinet, a good hoodie under the rug...the list goes on and on. He thinks it's hysterical. We wouldn't mind quite so much but we're supposed to return the kid's belongings to their mom. Kinda hard to do when you're not looking for a leotard behind the kid's toilet. Anyone gone through this? He thinks it's SO funny, and he is really funny, but sometimes the kid needs his jacket and we need to return his mother her things. TIA. They are great kids, but man, this one is wearing us out.
I keep an eye out on your car keys and cell phone

Nope, nope, nope. Do not go down this road with her. Doing things to try to earn her approval is only going to make her more tiresome, not less. You’ll grow weary of the time and effort you spend trying to please her, resentment will build, and eventually you won’t want to be around her anymore.

Currently, in order to visit your MIL, you waste time doing stupid ish like ironing a toddler’s clothes for the pumpkin patch. How did this become a thing in the first place? She made a snide comment about the kids’ clothes being wrinkled once? So now you stress yourself out making sure everyone is starched and pressed before every visit? The next snide comment she’s going to make will be about their table manners and before you know it, dinnertime at your house is going to turn into tears and tantrums as you try to get a three year old to hold his fork properly. Whether you win or lose that battle won’t matter ultimately, because she’ll move on to commenting that his hair is too long. Will you start wrestling him into the barber’s chair prior to every visit with grandma? What if he doesn’t like his hair short, will you prioritize MIL’s preferences over his feelings? Or will you make excuses about his long hair to her that start with, “Well, his mother....” Because that’s its own can of worms.

She WILL affect your family relationships if you let her, and by treating her criticisms as if they matter, that’s what you’re doing. Establish your boundaries. Tell your husband that you want to have a harmonious relationship with his mother and for that to happen respect needs to go both ways. Stop chasing the approval you’ll never get. Let your husband deal with her. If she says something about wrinkled clothes, put the ball in his court. “Great question! Honey, why didn’t you iron your children’s clothes? You know how much your mother loves a pressed pleat.” She says something about that being the wife’s job, you muster your most genuine expression of shock and say most delightfully, “Keep your voice down, MIL! You’re showing your age.” Don’t entertain her negativity for one second, and certainly don’t let it carry over into your family life.
This resonates with me. I’m estranged from my parents and I always say that my error in the whole mess was not setting boundaries from the start, trying to accommodate them endlessly and trying to keep the peace. It blew up in my face when I’d finally had enough and did set boundaries. They were shocked and upset by that action and their response—toss me from the family. Extreme, yes. But appeasement never works. My Auntie Thelma says, “Start the way you mean to finish.” It’s important for the health of your marriage. I’m embarrassed to think all I’ve forced dh to tolerate where my family is concerned.

August 14 2003 around 4 pm, I went upstairs to get my 8 month old twins out of their cribs, they were up from their afternoon nap. I don’t know what happened first, but there was a power outage. Oh great. I have one in each arm coming down the stairs, and there is my 2 year old with her face and arms covered in marker. No power, 2 babies who need bottles, husband won’t be home for hours, and this one needs a bath. I’m sure I told my 5 and 7 year olds to keep an eye on her for the 5 minutes I was upstairs. This is one of the memories I didn’t bock out, but made a mental note of a really crappy moment in parenting (I have many, but I think I blocked many more). We had no power for 48 hours and it was HOT!
:worship: By my count you were wrangling 5 kids (including infant twins :faint: ) on your own. Hon, if this stands out as one of your weaker moments, you are my HERO!! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter