Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I can mimic exactly what PP said. Changed my vote to yes and already purchased. I'll only add the price with incentives was way better than I was expecting for a new resort. That, along with everything PP said above, is why I purchased.

We are all so weak. :) At the end of the day, the vast majority of us are on these boards because we love Disney and we love DVC. So when they dangle a new property in front of us our hearts and brains instantly do battle. A lot of hearts are winning. I have to just keep telling myself that I don't need to own there to stay there. I hope.

I understand that - but BWV has three view descriptions but only two point cost. BLT has three view description AND three point costs. We can argue, but my bet is they will make the Boardwalk view more points than the pool/garden view.
This is an excellent point that I don't see raised that often. I think this was a major error in creating the points charts. I don't know of many people who think they're getting the same thing in a Pool/Garden view and a Boardwalk view, despite their being the same number of points. Every time I spend 16 points on a Pool View studio I feel like I'm getting gypped as compared to paying 16 points for a Boardwalk view. Is it just me?

This is an excellent point that I don't see raised that often. I think this was a major error in creating the points charts. I don't know of many people who think they're getting the same thing in a Pool/Garden view and a Boardwalk view, despite their being the same number of points. Every time I spend 16 points on a Pool View studio I feel like I'm getting gypped as compared to paying 16 points for a Boardwalk view. Is it just me?

We only purchased at BWV 2 years ago and have only stayed there twice, but have only stayed Boardwalk or Standard view. I will admit I might feel ripped off if I am ever "stuck" with Pool view.

We only purchased at BWV 2 years ago and have only stayed there twice, but have only stayed Boardwalk or Standard view. I will admit I might feel ripped off if I am ever "stuck" with Pool view.

Same here.

Riviera financing / incentive sheet (attached).

Attachments

• RVA_Financing.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 62

I posted this in another thread but IMO the point structure kills any "value" at Riviera as compared to BWV/BCV. Even with just 23 years left, BWV and BCV are cheaper.

Riviera: $176 for 150 points after incentives works out to an effective cost of $11.83 per point ($3.52 /pt /yr + $8.31 MF)

BWV: $120 works out to an effective $12.39 per point ($5.22 /pt /yr + $7.17 MF)

BUT, a preferred view studio in Magic Season is 26 points at Riviera and only 18 points at BWV. So, really the true cost ends up being far cheaper at BWV ($223) vs Riviera ($322).

Riviera is definitely a resort that says "buy where you want to stay", which IMO it isn't a bad location, with an easy gondola ride to DHS or Epcot. Since at the most we would own the resort only 15 years before selling due to our ages, I am sorry to say, I am not sure it is for us with the restriction on the resale market. But then when I think about it in 15 years, Riveria will have a much longer life span than any of the Legacy resorts.

I just bought some points. The look of the resort, the length of the contract, and the access to Epcot and HS make this a good fit for us. I wish the point requirements were lower, but it is what it is. We broke down our purchase into 3 smaller contracts in the event we ever want to downsize. I'm not too terribly worried about the resale restrictions because we are going with 3x smaller contracts rather than one large one.

I just bought some points. The look of the resort, the length of the contract, and the access to Epcot and HS make this a good fit for us. I wish the point requirements were lower, but it is what it is. We broke down our purchase into 3 smaller contracts in the event we ever want to downsize. I'm not too terribly worried about the resale restrictions because we are going with 3x smaller contracts rather than one large one.

Congratulations! When you say smaller how small? I was told last year when considering buying CCV direct that contract could only be broken up into 75 each or more (nothing smaller). I have since switched guides; not certain information he gave us was accurate. At the time we weren’t owners so not sure if that impacted information he gave us either.

Congratulations! When you say smaller how small? I was told last year when considering buying CCV direct that contract could only be broken up into 75 each or more (nothing smaller). I have since switched guides; not certain information he gave us was accurate. At the time we weren’t owners so not sure if that impacted information he gave us either.

We bought one 75 point contract and two 50 points contracts. They won't let you purchase less than 50 points per contract for now.

You are a bad influence... I committed to a BLT direct add-on yesterday, but after continuing to read about Riviera and seeing how many are buying in (not just you, but a handful of others), I think we are going to switch it up and do DRR. I don't think my guide will mind our change of heart.

You are a bad influence... I committed to a BLT direct add-on yesterday, but after continuing to read about Riviera and seeing how many are buying in (not just you, but a handful of others), I think we are going to switch it up and do DRR. I don't think my guide will mind our change of heart.

Have you thought about buying BLT via resale? That's where I got all my BLT points, and I saved a bundle! I am happy we decided to buy DRR even if I am nervous about the resale restrictions. I'm trying to "hedge my bets" with the smaller contracts. I will gladly pay extra closing costs to break it up rather than have one large contract. Small contracts sell for a premium. Even if DRR is lower in the resale market than some of the other resorts (which remains to be seen), smaller contracts will still be more valuable than large contracts.

Last edited:
Have you thought about buying BLT via resale? That's where I got all my BLT points, and I saved a bundle! I am happy we decided to buy DRR even if I am nervous about the resale restrictions. I'm trying to "hedge my bets" with the smaller contracts. I will gladly pay extra closing costs to break it up rather than have one large contract. Small contract sell for a premium. Even if DRR is lower in the resale market than some of the other resorts (which remains to be seen), smaller contracts will still be more valuable than large contracts.
We already have 160 BLT, 200 BCV, and 125 VGF, all resale. Looking for 75 direct points. So going BLT direct would (1) cost more upfront, (2) have a shorter expiration, though more favorable resale terms for the foreseeable future, and (3) not give us a new 11-month advantage. We are very much into split stays, with most of our time at Epcot/HS... those are our favorite parks. So DRR gives us a new options over there that lasts *forever* (we are 32/31 years old). As wonderful as the walk to MK is from BLT, I don't see needing more BLT points to accomplish what we want to over there, so to me DRR is a way to diversify a bit more in a more favorable area to us, all while snagging a few more points for the same price as BLT. Probably will do 75 or 100, but that's enough for our style, especially combined with the rest of our points.

Have you thought about buying BLT via resale? That's where I got all my BLT points, and I saved a bundle! I am happy we decided to buy DRR even if I am nervous about the resale restrictions. I'm trying to "hedge my bets" with the smaller contracts. I will gladly pay extra closing costs to break it up rather than have one large contract. Small contracts sell for a premium. Even if DRR is lower in the resale market than some of the other resorts (which remains to be seen), smaller contracts will still be more valuable than large contracts.

We already have 160 BLT, 200 BCV, and 125 VGF, all resale. Looking for 75 direct points. So going BLT direct would (1) cost more upfront, (2) have a shorter expiration, though more favorable resale terms for the foreseeable future, and (3) not give us a new 11-month advantage. We are very much into split stays, with most of our time at Epcot/HS... those are our favorite parks. So DRR gives us a new options over there that lasts *forever* (we are 32/31 years old). As wonderful as the walk to MK is from BLT, I don't see needing more BLT points to accomplish what we want to over there, so to me DRR is a way to diversify a bit more in a more favorable area to us, all while snagging a few more points for the same price as BLT. Probably will do 75 or 100, but that's enough for our style, especially combined with the rest of our points.

So... I just made the initial pitch to DH tonight. We had been discussing adding on at BLT resale to get us reliably into 2br for longer stays, but I had always regretted not buying an EP resort 2 years ago (ancient history, it seems, when BCV was around $100-$105pp and BWV was <$100pp). So now, the thought of a new 11-mo advantage in the EP/HS area for not *that* much more per point has suddenly become more appealing.

Will they though?

One reason small contracts sell at a premium is simply that the total cost is lower, so people just don't care. When you're only buying 50 points, an extra $5/point doesn't really add up to much, so buyers are less likely to quibble. That's not going to change.

But very small contracts are generally only really attractive in the first place as an add-on. That's especially true with higher point charts. If 50 points only buys you two nights a year in a studio, can't be combined with your existing points to stay elsewhere, and might not even be combinable with your existing points to stay at Rivera (if your existing points are post-restriction resale), is that 50 point contract still going to look appealing?

Maybe it won't have a big impact. There will still be existing Rivera owners who want a small add-on contract, or owners with qualified points who maybe only want an 11-month booking advantage at Rivera once every few years. But I do think the dynamic around small contracts changes a bit when point values are high and the points can't be combined for use elsewhere. How much remains to be seen.

If nothing else, it does still let you offload points in smaller chunks if you want to downsize without getting out completely.

I thought so too but actually I've ended up with pool/garden view twice and they've actually been 2 of my favorite rooms there. The standard view points are great but I enjoyed my pool/garden rooms a lot.

Will they though?

One reason small contracts sell at a premium is simply that the total cost is lower, so people just don't care. When you're only buying 50 points, an extra $5/point doesn't really add up to much, so buyers are less likely to quibble. That's not going to change.

But very small contracts are generally only really attractive in the first place as an add-on. That's especially true with higher point charts. If 50 points only buys you two nights a year in a studio, can't be combined with your existing points to stay elsewhere, and might not even be combinable with your existing points to stay at Rivera (if your existing points are post-restriction resale), is that 50 point contract still going to look appealing?

Maybe it won't have a big impact. There will still be existing Rivera owners who want a small add-on contract, or owners with qualified points who maybe only want an 11-month booking advantage at Rivera once every few years. But I do think the dynamic around small contracts changes a bit when point values are high and the points can't be combined for use elsewhere. How much remains to be seen.

If nothing else, it does still let you offload points in smaller chunks if you want to downsize without getting out completely.

Also DVC has added addtional costs to transfering the resale contracts. It multiplies for smaller contracts and I won't be surprised if they add more along the way as yet another deterrant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter