pre-cruise hotel - Vancouver

Candice30

World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.
I went ahead and booked transfers because I wasn't sure what I was doing flight wise. I am now flying in 2 days before my cruise. I am confused about how and when I can use the transfer. I thought I read somewhere that I could use the transfer to the hotel 2 days before my cruise only if I booked a preferred hotel thru Disney add on. Is this still correct? I wasn't sure if I could cancel the transfer so just looking for my options to use it as I am planning to stay within walking distance of the port and won't need on embarkation day. I also read that Disney charges more than booking hotel on your own; is this correct or should I book myself? TIA

I also read that Disney charges more than booking hotel on your own; is this correct or should I book myself?
No, booking via DCL does not necessarily cost more than booking independently. It depends on what you're booking. DCL has contracted rates for each hotel or resort. If it's a Disney resort (Orlando), you can probably get a better deal not using DCL because Disney regularly discounts WDW resorts & DCL's rate will be non-discounted. But if you're staying at a non-Disney hotel, booking via DCL is sometimes the cheapest way to go, as hotels tend to vary their pricing based on time of year, whereas DCL's price will be consistent no matter what time of year it is. So which is cheaper just depends on what's available & what deal you might be able to get independently- look up that resort for your dates & jot down prices (keeping in mind that you'll have to add on high hotel tax, etc), and then compare the price to what DCL quotes you over the phone. DCL does not inflate those hotel prices, no.

As for transfers, you can use them from airport to ship, or DCL-preferred hotel to ship on the day of the cruise. Both Vancouver DCL preferred hotels, that you can book through them, are located inside the Vancouver airport. DCL will not provide transportation except on the day of the cruise.

DCL has 3 preferred hotels in Vancouver:

- Fairmont Vancouver Airport [which is located inside Vancouver International Airport}
- Fairmont Waterfront [located downtown Vancouver, across the street from the Port]
- Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel [located downtown Vancouver]

When we asked for pre and post stay quotes for these hotels from DCL for 2021 and 2022 the prices were higher than we could get directly with the hotel, and you don't have a choice of room type.

As for transfers, you can use them from airport to ship, or DCL-preferred hotel to ship on the day of the cruise. Both Vancouver DCL preferred hotels, that you can book through them, are located inside the Vancouver airport. DCL will not provide transportation except on the day of the cruise.
I just found this on DCL website: Guess I'll call in the morning before I book on my own.
"Pre- and Post-Cruise Hotel Stays and Transportation
If you've booked a hotel stay with us before or after your cruise, transfers are available, for an additional fee, between the airport, hotel and cruise port. Call us at (800) 951-3532 for more information or to add these transfers."

Last edited:
DCL has 3 preferred hotels in Vancouver:

- Fairmont Vancouver Airport [which is located inside Vancouver International Airport}
- Fairmont Waterfront [located downtown Vancouver, across the street from the Port]
- Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel [located downtown Vancouver]

When we asked for pre and post stay quotes for these hotels from DCL for 2021 and 2022 the prices were higher than we could get directly with the hotel, and you don't have a choice of room type.
Thanks. This is what I was afraid of. I am interested in Vancouver Marriott.

Thanks. This is what I was afraid of. I am interested in Vancouver Marriott.

Check the prices online for the hotel directly, and then call DCL and see what kind of price they can offer.

Also, if the hotel isn't available to book directly yet, check with DCL if you can book the hotel through DCL but then cancel it without penalty upto a certain date if you get a better deal with the hotel directly. I think you can, but am not certain.

IIRC the cost of the DCL transfer from the Marriot to the port was about $15 for each person. It may be possible to get the transfer without getting the hotel through them -- I know you can from the airport to the port, not sure about the two downtown hotels to the port, but worth asking.

Vancouver has a wide selection of high-quality hotels, so there is no need to be limited to what DCL offers. And, if you haven't visited the Vancouver area before, I would highly recommend flying in a few days early and touring the city and its amazing natural setting - or do it post cruise.

Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, and Fairmont Pacific Rim are all next to the cruise terminal.

Among the Marriott brands, JW is the best in the city but a little further away. Marriott Pinnacle is close to the terminal, and Delta is a few blocks away.

We try and avoid the airport hotels as you end up far from from the action. They are more cost effective though in the high season.

We love staying at the Pan Pacific before our cruises out of Vancouver. We book directly with them. You can easily walk anywhere downtown from there. We get a taxi or transportation from the airport. We have the hotel take our luggage down to the port the morning of the cruise and then we take the elevator down to the port. No need for transfers. Easy peasy!

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a few days prior to an Alaska cruise in 2015. It was a good location for touring the city. We were able to walk to the waterfront and port area, although we took an inexpensive taxi ride with our luggage for the cruise departure itself. We have booked it again for two nights prior to the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise next April.

We stayed in the Pan Pacific which is right at the port. The bellboys collected our luggage & took it straight to the port so we just had to take the elevator down & check in - so easy & stress free! We also had a great view of the Wonder arriving into port early in the morning from our room which I loved.

When we returned from the cruise, bell services kept our luggage for the day as we had a late flight out which was great & allowed us to explore the city some more.

We visit Vancouver often and whenever we stay near the pier, whether we're going on a cruise or not, we've always stayed at one of the following:
Fairmont Pacific Rim
Fairmont Waterfront
Pan Pacific

Although our favourite is the Fairmont Pacific Rim, the other 2 are great. The location is wonderful for walking around exploring the city and easy walk to Stanley Park. They're also close to the ferry to North Van which has very quaint restaurants and shops.

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront, and had an awesome view of the Disney Wonder sailing into port the morning of our departure. We had breakfast in the room and watched the ship that morning. A very special experience.

We stayed in an air bnb - public transportation is SO easy and allowed us time to visit the city. It was much lower cost and superb! Search out the houses near the train stations...

thanks for the replies and suggestions. doesn't look like booking available yet for my dates so I will keep watch. haven't gotten a chance to speak with Disney yet on the transfer issue. i booked the cruise with a TA and she is on vacay right now so will check in with her also next week.

Pete said not so great things about the Fairmont, but it's actually really nice. I think his isolated experience wasn't great, but I have stayed there multiple time and it's very nice and pretty reasonably priced too.

Pete said not so great things about the Fairmont, but it's actually really nice. I think his isolated experience wasn't great, but I have stayed there multiple time and it's very nice and pretty reasonably priced too.
We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront pre-cruise, and the Fairmont at the airport (gold level) post-cruise. They were both great stays, and I'm fussy about hotels.

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront pre-cruise, and the Fairmont at the airport (gold level) post-cruise. They were both great stays, and I'm fussy about hotels.

I am pretty fussy too~ the family really liked the Fairmont at the airport. We stayed there the night after the cruise as our flight was first thing in the morning the next day (we snagged a non-stop back to Boston, which was awesome). While in Vancouver we stayed at the Pacific Rim. One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. Pricey-but worth the splurge. In the middle of everything.

just wanted to follow up in case some one else had the same question. so it was as stated on DCL website that I eventually found. if pre or post cruise hotel booked thru them added to your cruise pkg then they will transfer you on your travel days regardless of cruise date. Fairmount Waterfront was $510 a night and Marriott Pinnacle is $422 a night. Not a huge difference but since I'm staying 2 nights, that's $180 that can go towards an excursion so I had my TA book Marriott. DCL said they will transport me from airport 2 days before cruise to Marriott and then since I am staying so close I will get to port on my own. I am flying home on last cruise day so DCL will take me back to airport on that date. Resort not making reservations for my dates yet so gotta come back in a month and see if the price is diff from what Disney is saying.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter