• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros and Cons of bringing a backpack

If it's just me, I could get away with a small purse or even nothing maybe, but going with the kids in the middle of summer this time will definitely require a backpack!
We need water and Gatorade- I tend to get very dehydrated and lightheaded in the heat. Plus I need my migraine meds which the heat makes 10 times worse. Disposable ponchos and/or small umbrella for pop-up showers, misting fans, and a ton of sunscreen!! We are all fair skinned. Yeah we could live without the fans and umbrella, but I'd rather not shove sunscreen and water in my pockets!?!?
Winter time is a different story! I have an Adidas sackpack with wider strings that is pretty comfy! DH and I can take turns with it!

I don't need much but I do need my camera, my phone, a water bottle, a portable charger and tissues. I've got a small backpack.
Don't ya know, you can use your phone as your camera and shove your phone in your breast pocket, drink free ice water, go back to your room to charge your phone (didn't you just charge it last night), and use your sleeve.

Sorry, just joking. But I feel like that whenever someone says to put everything in my pockets.

Most of my clothes don't have pockets. I know this because I own the clothes. And I don't plan on shopping for new clothes, spending hundreds of dollars on "travel clothes."

It's my business when the person in front of me has 5 glass water bottles and several other prohibited items that they start arguing about having to do something with because they can't bring it in. Yep it's happened.
Also sometimes people only think they need certain items and come to realize after a week of shcleping they didnt.
Once again my point is don't attack someone that was not directing their post at you and if you need it being it.
Thanks.
Glass water bottles? Is there such a thing?

We alternate between a small string bag or nothing. My oldest has a small Vera Bradley backpack she uses-it is the perfect size for a small umbrella, water and sunscreen, and stays close in to her body (ie not sticking out 18 inches from your back).
When I can-I go bagless-charger (fuel rod) & cash in pocket, water bottle in hand, magic band on and CC, ID in the pocket on back of phone. Spray sunscreen before we leave room. But we also don't tend to stay in a park all day either, nor do we have younger kids-that does make a difference.

I wish people would pay attention to those behind them when they are swinging those things around
THIS x a gazillion! Don't really care if you need a bag but please be mindful of the space it takes up.
As for the "mountaineer" trek packing-I actually saw a true backpacking pack on a couple 2 weeks ago-and it was stuffed full. First it had to weigh a ton and be extremely hot, and 2nd-why did they feel the need? There are lockers to drop that off so you wouldn't have to trek it around.
But there are alot of blogs around suggesting what you need in your "park bag" frankly about 70% of it is just not needed. But I am one who'd rather spend the $3 on a 2 pack of tylenol if needed than carry it around JIC.

We decided on our last trip this past April to do whatever we can to get through the bagless line. My husband and I each carried a folded up string bag through the no bag line. I put whatever I could in my pockets. My husband stuffed the rest in his cargo shorts. Once inside the park, we redistributed the items. The four of us would take turns carrying the two string bags.
Oh this is brilliant!! Doing this from now on when we want a bag with us!!

Don't ya know, you can use your phone as your camera and shove your phone in your breast pocket, drink free ice water, go back to your room to charge your phone (didn't you just charge it last night), and use your sleeve.

Sorry, just joking. But I feel like that whenever someone says to put everything in my pockets.

Most of my clothes don't have pockets. I know this because I own the clothes. And I don't plan on shopping for new clothes, spending hundreds of dollars on "travel clothes."

Thanks for the good laugh! For the record, I've got an iPhone 6 which makes pictures good enough to send via text or post on Instagram but I think they look awful blown up on a computer screen and I wouldn't want to frame them. I carry a separate camera whenever it's a special occasion.

Each their own. My wife doesn't put things in her pockets either (as already stated).

I posed the questions / comments to understand why people carry a bag. Also, to mention ideas of how to maybe eliminate carry a bag. But if you are comfortable carrying bag, I was not telling not to carry one. I was just trying to understand. Like trying to understand why people push around strollers when the kids obvious don't fit anymore in them and are very capable of walking since most of the time the strollers are empty of the kids anyhow.

I have a glass Contigo reusable water bottle. It has a rubber covering so breaking isn't an issue.

I know that I can't use it in the parks though. We are bringing other reusable bottles with us to WDW.

Glass water bottles? Is there such a thing?

If you are interested in an all metal flask that will keep ice cool for a long time, the Oregon brand Hydroflask is the best I have ever tested, even in excessive heat and humidity, still keeps ice for hours and hours. You can often find them on sale at various outdoor emporiums. You can also buy different lids depending on your preference of drinking etc...

:flower1:Love my new Vera Bradley backpack!...Comfortable and practical for carrying allergy meds, cell phones, small wallet, water proof jackets for DH and I ( beats freezing or getting soaked) water bottles, sunscreen, hats and most important bagged lunches, and snacks as we are not fans of Disney food! 1 backpack with 2 people alternating carrying on and off the rides...has worked for us over 25 years!

There are pouches on the rides to put things in, and if it doesn't fit, just put it on the floor and put your foot through the strap.
Yes, this. I carry a small backpack (like a hiking daypack) with a hydration bladder for myself. It also holds my cards/phone, sunscreen, snacks, poncho, etc. The kids (7, 9) each have a Mini MULE Camelbak pack for their own water and snacks. It's awesome - I'm not carrying everyone's weight, but we have all we need for a day in the park. We all just tuck the bags between our feet on rides. I honestly can't imagine not having a bag of some sort...I know it would seem to be a lot more freeing to travel without, but I like having water available all the time, and carrying a bottle around would be more of a pain. I like being hands-free with the backpack.

I always carry a backpack with sunscreen, poncho if it's the summer, extra phone charger, etc. and I bring it on every ride with me. Never had an issue! It's a backpack with good straps - the drawstring bags seem like a good idea because they're smaller but they're so uncomfortable and it's harder for me to quickly find things when it's all in one pocket.

I am going to DW in August with 3 kids and will need the usual ponchos, sunscreen etc. I just bought two small-ish backpacks to try out. They both flip themselves into a small pouch so they aren't that big. One I got at Columbia and the other at Eddie Bauer. Both on sale..under 15 each. The Eddie Bauer has more padded straps so that may be more comfortable but I may try both. My aim is to not stuff it with stuff I don't need, but bring what I know I do need!

I am going to DW in August with 3 kids and will need the usual ponchos, sunscreen etc. I just bought two small-ish backpacks to try out. They both flip themselves into a small pouch so they aren't that big. One I got at Columbia and the other at Eddie Bauer. Both on sale..under 15 each. The Eddie Bauer has more padded straps so that may be more comfortable but I may try both. My aim is to not stuff it with stuff I don't need, but bring what I know I do need!

As soon as my kids weren't in the stroller, they started carrying their own (small) bag, with their stuff. I carried the sunscreen (one for all of us) but they had their own disposable poncho, autograph book, pens, small snack, water bottle, etc. This way I also could carry a significantly smaller bag! :-)

We've got with an 18 month, 35 month, 3 1/2 and now 4 1/2 when we go this Jan and we've carried less and less each trip. We still have the stroller (for long treks; mainly to save time) and we toss the bag underneath the stroller and we definitely utlize the four cup holders. So there is a handy feature. Plus when he is ready for a recharge the stroller comes in handy to transport the passed out kid.

(Plus on flights, gate checking the stroller and getting advanced boarding helps get the little guy seated ahead of the crowds.)

But our 'stuff' has become less and less. If we plan to do a whole day, we pack a full bag and bring the stroller. But if its only a couple of hours we try to skip the stuff. Worst case is he ends up on my shoulders. But I find it helpful to have the snacks, ponchos, autograph stuff, camera stuff, cables, change of clothes, extra sunscreen, band aids instead of a child in full meltdown or a $50 charge.

Plus we've collected so many cool disney bags over the years, it'd be a shame not to show them off!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter