• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros and Cons of bringing a backpack

I bought a cross body bag at amazon for $21. It's small enough that it won't get in the way. But it will fit a water bottle, poncho, phone and whatever odds and ends I think I need.

I hate string bags; I just don't find them comfortable. And I'm not a fan of backpacks either. This should work out just fine.

Pros
  • Saves the Time
  • Easy to walk along longer distance
  • Having one backpack forces you to pack less
Cons
Not convenient for a day trip as you have to unpack everything if you want to use the same bag for the trip.

I always carry a backpack with sunscreen, poncho if it's the summer, extra phone charger, etc. and I bring it on every ride with me. Never had an issue! It's a backpack with good straps - the drawstring bags seem like a good idea because they're smaller but they're so uncomfortable and it's harder for me to quickly find things when it's all in one pocket.
My recommendation is to put what you would carry to the parks in your backpack and wear it around for 15 or 20 minutes. That will help you figure out if they are comfortable to wear when "fully loaded". I tried this before Disney trip once with a new backpack, and was so glad I tried it out ahead of time. The shoulder straps dug in uncomfortably when I put a water bottle in a couple of other items in the backpack. Back to the store it went!

I've mentioned on a few posts how I much prefer going bagless now. Started trip before last and all last trip. Got tired of waiting in bag check lines, carrying bulky backpack around all day.. it was hot wearing it fully, or shifting it from shoulder to shoulder all day. Realized didn't need the majority of the stuff I was carrying, and having to dig through pack to find things when did need them.

Usually do a mid day break, so only going for a few hours at a time. I mean, when i'm at home and go out somewhere I don't need to load up a backpack full of stuff.

I can take couple dollar store ponchos, cell phone, wallet, eye glass case (to switch between normal and sun glasses), chap stick, eye drops, fuel rod charger, and a small tube of sunscreen in cargo shorts and not look like an overstuffed chipmunk. Yes, know a lot of womens clothes lack the capacity of mens for carrying stuff. But for me and my son that's all we really need for a few hours in a park.

Yes, I spend a few extra $'s buying water in the parks.. but much rather that than haul around bottles of water, they either get warm anyway or if you froze them they make everything wet with condensation.

Still take a pack to the water parks since usually take change of clothes.

Don’t know if this was asked or not, but how old are your kids? You said “no longer toddlers”, but if they’re still little (like 7 or younger) they may still need the stroller. Many kids who are fine walking anywhere and haven’t been in strollers in years still need one at WDW. Just something to think about. And if not, fanny packs are coming back in style! They’ll hold your essentials while keeping your hands free and back happy (and they’re hard to lose).

And if not, fanny packs are coming back in style! They’ll hold your essentials while keeping your hands free and back happy (and they’re hard to lose).

Fanny packs are not coming back in style. There have been a few celebs who have worn them slung over their shoulder. Not how anyone would wear one if they were really using it. But I will say a theme park is different than the real world. And would be the only place I might wear one. But honestly I find them uncomfortable after a few days.

Fanny packs are not coming back in style. There have been a few celebs who have worn them slung over their shoulder. Not how anyone would wear one if they were really using it. But I will say a theme park is different than the real world. And would be the only place I might wear one. But honestly I find them uncomfortable after a few days.
Beg to differ. If you follow fashion at all, you’ll find a sea of articles about and pictures of fanny packs, sometimes slung cross body, sometimes worn correctly. There are many different designs, including big designers. I know this isn’t relevant to this thread, but just wanted to point out that yes, they are coming back in style. I saw young people wearing them on my most recent trip.

Beg to differ. If you follow fashion at all, you’ll find a sea of articles about and pictures of fanny packs, sometimes slung cross body, sometimes worn correctly. There are many different designs, including big designers. I know this isn’t relevant to this thread, but just wanted to point out that yes, they are coming back in style. I saw young people wearing them on my most recent trip.

Again, what is worn in the park isn't always worn out of the parks. They are functional, but in no way are they stylish. No matter how hard a few celebs try to make them.

I occasionally see the Michael Kors (they have a couple styles) fanny packs worn by young people, especially the citibike types and those who are on line during lunch hour at the salad places.
I think the key to making this look work is to be young and hot.

To the men that wear cargo shorts as a woman can I just say that is not an option for us.
I have never been able to find actual cargo shorts for women. I don't call tiny pockets that don't zip or velcro and just have the look of cargo pockets useful.
Also I've gone as far as buying menus but the extra crotch space chafs me.
Also your wives would be carrying a bag of it weren't for you.
I dont have a husband so I bring a small crossbody for my phone, charger, coin pouch that I use as a wallet for Disney, tiny tube of Advil, and a chapstick.

I grabbed two pairs of men's shorts on clearance at target in September for just this reason! I got so frustrated with all of the women's cargo shorts that have pockets too small to fit even a small smart phone, much less toss in keys, a wallet, and a Chapstick. Luckily, I haven't had the chafing issue.

I occasionally see the Michael Kors (they have a couple styles) fanny packs worn by young people, especially the citibike types and those who are on line during lunch hour at the salad places.
I think the key to making this look work is to be young and hot.

I was going to wear a fanny pack accessorized with long socks and saddles for my MNSSHP custom.

Back on topic, I always used a decent sized back pack but never went in the summer. I’m debating whether I should downsize on the backpack and use a stroller as our mule or ditch the stroller.

Again, what is worn in the park isn't always worn out of the parks. They are functional, but in no way are they stylish. No matter how hard a few celebs try to make them.

They are very popular in Los Angeles. I see them on people everywhere, only they call them hip packs. Oh no honey, those are fanny packs. And they are usually worn by teens/young 20 something girls in bike shorts and oversized t-shirts. Its like flashbacks to my 80s and 90s childhood. All they need is the plastic think you threaded the tail of the shirt through.

Back to the original topic - I always carry a purse or mini backpack. Been doing so for about 25 years now. I go as small as I can but I like having a bag to keep my hands free and I feel weird the rare time I don't have one. I constantly panic wondering where I left my non-existent purse. I also choose purses that are easy for security to look at, or have larger objects in my hand and out of the way. Security always gives me the grateful look or have even thanked me for being prepared.

I grabbed two pairs of men's shorts on clearance at target in September for just this reason! I got so frustrated with all of the women's cargo shorts that have pockets too small to fit even a small smart phone, much less toss in keys, a wallet, and a Chapstick. Luckily, I haven't had the chafing issue.
Not shorts but Macy’s Style &Co makes wonderful cargo capris with great pockets - comes in women’s sizes, petites and Plus - lots of great colors too - $24-$30. I never carry a bag - everything goes in the pockets and since they’re on your legs - nothing pokes at you...and the pocket flaps have buttons do nothing falls out either. That being said - all I ever bring is my cell phone - my CC, AP, DVC and a little cash go in a clear Id holder that hangs off my lanyard.

Are Yetti water bottles allowed? I was planning on bringing my 36 oz with me in my backpack. It's stainless steel no glass.

I know they are a bit heavy with water in them, but I hike with a backpack on with 2 on my back so I'm used to it. They keep water cold for hours
They are heavy empty too.but hey if you're used to lugging it then it works for you.
I'm good with free ice water ok r buying a bottle of water and refilling at fountains

Thanks for the opinions. I just used amazon prime and bought the Nike string one with a zipper compartment. For waters and sunscreen and maybe couple light snacks! Thanks. I’m scared to go completely bag free.

FWIW we use this type of bag and have never, ever had any issue with it being uncomfortable. My portable charger with cords alone is 1lb, and we also have other items in there. We aren't overpacked by any means, but you can reasonably carry more than 1lb without having discomfort. I will say though, my husband is a big guy and he has a little more difficult time with it due to how it fits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter