Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I’ve lived in NY and MA (and I guess England if you count a very short time - just a summer semester in college.)

I’m in no hurry to move, but I would move again for the right reasons. Now that DS is in college, we would be more likely to seriously consider it if DH's job offered a move, and there’s always the potential of retiring someplace warmer or (far in the future) near grandkids someday.

I'll pack one suitcase and go on my way and start new.

This would be me, too! haha!!

Good luck to your husband w/ the new job prospects, and to you & your Dr. appt. today.

States I've lived in? I was born & raised in the primordial soup that is South Jersey. As a teen we moved to rural Kent County Delaware, to a Amish Farm of all places (my parents put in elec & running water!). During my married life we've lived in Kent County, Maryland and Parker, Colorado, and are now in Queen Annes County, Maryland.

@apirateslifeforme . I have a bag of books to go back when the library opens. I am re-reading a book I own now. Next I'll try Hoopla but prefer real paper books.
I know it's hard and a difficult neighborhood situation, but can you just tell your neighbor girl that you are busy and she needs to go home? Sounds like she needs boundaries.
Glad you fixed your games. And cool gratitude list with Josh.
After this morning, I'm starting to wonder if any kids have boundaries anymore! Josh and I went for our walk early this morning, instead of after lunch. Yes, I was thinking that if we alter our routine, maybe our neighbor wouldn't see us.
Nope. Within 5 minutes of our returning home, she was riding up our driveway on her bike. Again. Went right into our garage and started looking around, grabbing the bubbles again. I said no; she came out and opened them up, but finally heard me and put them back. She then left and went down the street to see her friend. I tried to get Josh to come back inside because it was close enough to lunchtime and I hadn't eaten anyway. But of course he whined and stalled and complained, so our neighbor had time to return with her friend in tow. I started putting away Josh's scooter equipment and my chair, but then the girls started talking about chalk drawing. Here's the jaw drop moment (for me) - the friend, who doesn't even know us, said she wanted to draw in our driveway because it was shaded, unlike the neighbor's driveway. And then the neighbor girl said, "Okay, I'll get the chalk, they have a lot of it here," and proceeded into our garage to get Josh's tub of chalk. Um, hello? Seriously? Not your chalk, not your driveway! Thankfully, they suddenly decided to do another circle on their bikes in the road, at which point I quickly shut the garage door and took Josh inside. Of course now, I feel like we're trapped in here for the afternoon - it's hot anyway, and I've got Josh watching some movies. I have got to speak to her and/or her parents in a nice way. I understand these kids are bored and it's hard to not be around friends right now, but yes, there are still boundaries.

Even when I was a kid in the free-range late-70s and 80s, we didn't play at houses with kids half our age, we didn't play at houses where the adults didn't know us, we didn't go into other people's garages and play with their stuff - we either asked permission or waited until it was offered. And yes, I know I sound like a crochety old "get off my lawn" lady. But man, these kids seem to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and what's ours is theirs, too.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. End rant.

I have lived in MA all my life except for 3 months in CT. DH tried out a job promotion there and he did not like it and I did not like where we lived. So, back to MA we came. I grew up on the North Shore and moved to the 128/93 belt, north of Boston, when I got married and have been here ever since. I would love to move to NH or DE. Since the kids and grandkids are all in MA we would look at NH. MA doesn't really feel like home anymore.

Even when I was a kid in the free-range late-70s and 80s, we didn't play at houses with kids half our age, we didn't play at houses where the adults didn't know us, we didn't go into other people's garages and play with their stuff - we either asked permission or waited until it was offered. And yes, I know I sound like a crochety old "get off my lawn" lady. But man, these kids seem to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and what's ours is theirs, too.
I don't think you sound crochety at all. They are being rude to just walk in and expect to use your things without being invited. Maybe I am the crochety one. If I was willing to share, I would make them ask appropriately. Otherwise, I have no problem with "NO". (Of course I am much older.)

Here's the jaw drop moment (for me)

Forgive me, but perhaps you should just say to her, " no, I'm sorry you can't do that / we can't do that you'll need to go home now". Or speak to her parents and indicate that she can't just wander thru your yard and garage like she owns the place. If you don't tell her no, and back it up - well....why wouldn't she do all the things she's doing? It's her parents job to parent her, if they aren't well perhaps you can gently remind them.
I'd walk her back home, nicely explain to the parents that it's not safe for her to be unattended or wandering thru your garage/yard where she could get hurt.

Happy that our library opened the book drop yesterday, so I was able to return our almost-2-months-past-due books (technically...but I looked today and they've all been listed as "due 6-1-2020"). They will be starting curbside pickup on Tuesday, so we can at least get some actual books soon!

Very cool!

Our library is remaining closed for now. The book drop has been open all along, but no due dates or fines on stuff you signed out before if you wanted to keep them longer. I returned some, but still have a couple.

I also meant to mention that Josh and I are doing The ABCs of Gratitude, as I call it. My SIL in suggested it...write the alphabet on a piece of paper, and try to things for which you are grateful that start with that letter. I decided to do one letter every day with Josh, to make it last. We've done A through F so far. Today, he is grateful for French fries, Florida, friends, football, Friday, and fun. My list was family, friends, food, Florida, flowers, flip-flops, faith, and freedom.

I love that!!!

So sorry about the troubles with your neighbor. Pre-covid, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. - All the kids in the neighborhood played here when DS was little, and I just would have gone into teacher mode and let her know the rules for joining in.

But right now, wandering in and grabbing toys and stuff just isn't OK! And I would be completely hiding the bubbles. - Blowing air at each other on purpose just skeeves me out right now!

I hear many speak of this mythical Wegmans....
I'd LOVE to have one near us, I wandered thru one up in Jersey once. Delightful!
Well, I don't want to make anyone jealous but we have a Harris Teeter only 50 minutes away, so yeah, we are kinda special 😆

Harris Teeter! Easily my second favorite, we spent/spend a lot of time in Virginia Beach and that's the closest store to my cousin's house.

I now realize why Wegmans is so mythical:

#1 = the bell tower, it's like Church of Wegmans and all the choirs of angels in heaven sing in unison as you walk up.​
#2 = the running model train suspended above the dairy section (who DOESN'T like a train? Especially on a DIS forum).​
#3 - It's like Whole Foods and a regular grocery store had a baby (I can get fancy schmancy cheeses and Doritos on the same trip).​

I hear many speak of this mythical Wegmans....
I'd LOVE to have one near us, I wandered thru one up in Jersey once. Delightful!
Well, I don't want to make anyone jealous but we have a Harris Teeter only 50 minutes away, so yeah, we are kinda special 😆
I don't think I've ever been in a Wegmans (or Harris Teeter) but I have visited Piggly Wiggly and Publix. And and I'll admit that when we vacation any place with a Walmart I make a point of visiting. beats some tourist attractions, LOL.

I don't think I've ever been in a Wegmans (or Harris Teeter) but I have visited Piggly Wiggly and Publix. And and I'll admit that when we vacation any place with a Walmart I make a point of visiting. beats some tourist attractions, LOL.

ahhh Publix.
My folks live part time in Florida. I'm forever being told about the virtues of Publix!

You guys, we all REALLY need to get out soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter