Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
The only thing I heard was a pending postal strike would NOT affect delivery, MJ will be delivered by other services.

The expected delivery time, without the strike action, was Monday at the earliest for the first deliveries. I heard on the radio that some had gotten shipment notices earlier than expected so it’s possible some may have received their shipment. So the timing is unfortunate because people will tie it to the legalization date, but it’s quite likely it would have happened anyways.

No sweetie !!!! Insomnia is a qualifier!!! If your comfortable with it it’s a short dr visit ! I put it off for a long time because I thought people would judge ... now I just don’t care lol
Who would judge prescribed medical use or for that matter, even know? :confused3

Many employers in the US do drug testing. You can be fired for marijuana use, even if it's medically prescribed.

Depends on the jurisdiction. There’s no protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but state/local laws may consider the underlying condition to be a disability where the employer can’t discriminate on the basis of a treatment that is legal under state law.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...-in-medical-marijuana-suits-favors-employees/

Many employers in the US do drug testing. You can be fired for marijuana use, even if it's medically prescribed.
Oh, I didn't know that. Medical use has been legal here for a while and although I'm sure most employers have a "no intoxication on the job" policy, a medical card would exempt one from dismissal simply based on a drug test.

When people point out technicalities like this I always ask: Do you want to be the test case?

The test cases so far have been people who have been fired already or weren’t hired. Most have sought medical marijuana because they felt there was no other option.

I heard there was a case in Canada of a Mountie who was reinstated after initially being suspended for using medical marijuana for pain management.

The test cases so far have been people who have been fired already or weren’t hired. Most have sought medical marijuana because they felt there was no other option.

I heard there was a case in Canada of a Mountie who was reinstated after initially being suspended for using medical marijuana for pain management.
I am a named plaintiff in a class action suit that has been dragging on for 4 years. Real law does not move at the speed of TV law.

I would never want to be the test case. It could be 5 years before you are vindicated. By that time your life is ruined.

I am a named plaintiff in a class action suit that has been dragging on for 4 years. Real law does not move at the speed of TV law.

I would never want to be the test case. It could be 5 years before you are vindicated. By that time your life is ruined.

Court injunctions move pretty quickly.

At $10/gram, that level of spending would be way more than recreational use IMO. For perspective, that would be enough for somewhere between 60 and 125 joints... That's a daily habit, not a recreational one, and about the same or more than the medicinal users I know consume.

But there's always a lot of grey area in gauging something as subjective as "recreational use"... For one person that might mean passing around a joint with friends on Saturday night while for someone else it might mean a few puffs every day but never getting very stoned while for a third person it might be getting absolutely baked every weekend, just as some people define casual drinking as a bottle of wine between friends on ladies night while others have a glass with dinner every night and still others feel like their use is casual as long as their weekend binge drinking doesn't get in the way of making it to work on Monday.

Your post about "recreational" being a grey area brings up another definition of "recreational" for me. Here in PA we have just started to get the medical marijuana program off the ground with dispensaries finally opening this year. What I have seen is that the process to obtain a MMJ card can be expensive, especially to seniors and others on a fixed income.

First we have to see a doctor who is approved to issue a MMJ recommendation, which is not covered by insurance. Those visits can be several hundred dollars and you need a follow up in 6 months which you also pay out of pocket. There is a very specific list of "approved" medical conditions for which the doctor certifies that a patient qualifies, which I feel is way too restrictive.

If you get the doctor's certification that you qualify, you then pay the state for the actual card which is $50. The card gets renewed on a yearly basis which I *think* means paying for more doctor visits and fees to the state. (I'm not 100% certain how that works to renew) And dispensary products are more expensive from what I've heard people pay on the street.

For me, legalizing recreational use removes those expensive and restrictive steps and allows people better access to something that could help them a lot. The recreational use definition assumes that everyone who uses cannabis outside of the medical definition (as practiced in my state) is doing it with the sole purpose of getting high. I know the majority of people will be doing that and I'm not against it. I'm just throwing it out there that IMO "recreational" really means "legal to use cannabis however a person sees fit to." I'm all for that.

And yes, there is a stigma for MMJ patients here by doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Maybe because it's still so new here. But there are stories of doctors dismissing patients who got their MMJ cards from other MMJ approved physicians simply because they don't agree with cannabis as a valid medical treatment. Legalizing cannabis levels the playing field. People may still have strong opinions about it, just like some people have strong opinions about alcohol, but it should be up to an individual to decide for him/herself if they want to use it and not have to worry because it's still currently considered illegal at the federal level.

Your post about "recreational" being a grey area brings up another definition of "recreational" for me. Here in PA we have just started to get the medical marijuana program off the ground with dispensaries finally opening this year. What I have seen is that the process to obtain a MMJ card can be expensive, especially to seniors and others on a fixed income.

First we have to see a doctor who is approved to issue a MMJ recommendation, which is not covered by insurance. Those visits can be several hundred dollars and you need a follow up in 6 months which you also pay out of pocket. There is a very specific list of "approved" medical conditions for which the doctor certifies that a patient qualifies, which I feel is way too restrictive.

If you get the doctor's certification that you qualify, you then pay the state for the actual card which is $50. The card gets renewed on a yearly basis which I *think* means paying for more doctor visits and fees to the state. (I'm not 100% certain how that works to renew) And dispensary products are more expensive from what I've heard people pay on the street.

For me, legalizing recreational use removes those expensive and restrictive steps and allows people better access to something that could help them a lot. The recreational use definition assumes that everyone who uses cannabis outside of the medical definition (as practiced in my state) is doing it with the sole purpose of getting high. I know the majority of people will be doing that and I'm not against it. I'm just throwing it out there that IMO "recreational" really means "legal to use cannabis however a person sees fit to." I'm all for that.

And yes, there is a stigma for MMJ patients here by doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Maybe because it's still so new here. But there are stories of doctors dismissing patients who got their MMJ cards from other MMJ approved physicians simply because they don't agree with cannabis as a valid medical treatment. Legalizing cannabis levels the playing field. People may still have strong opinions about it, just like some people have strong opinions about alcohol, but it should be up to an individual to decide for him/herself if they want to use it and not have to worry because it's still currently considered illegal at the federal level.

When it was still illegal here I asked my dr if he would write me a prescription for it. He said no but then told me a website where I could pay $50 or $100 to get an internet dr to write me one lol

When it was still illegal here I asked my dr if he would write me a prescription for it. He said no but then told me a website where I could pay $50 or $100 to get an internet dr to write me one lol
I'm curious why your doctor wouldn't prescribe it? Did he give you an explanation? And "referring" you to a website where the prescribing doctor didn't know you or anything about you seems kind of irresponsible, if he didn't believe marijuana was right for you, therapeutically.

I'm curious why your doctor wouldn't prescribe it? Did he give you an explanation? And "referring" you to a website where the prescribing doctor didn't know you or anything about you seems kind of irresponsible, if he didn't believe marijuana was right for you, therapeutically.

I don’t know, but I would guess it was a religious reason. I know, I know, doctors should keep that sort of thing out of being a doctor but he’s great otherwise. My neurologist said no too..not sure why. I wasn’t going to get a card, just curious.

I suppose a lot won't do it if they don't feel it has therapeutic value. I know some simply refuse to believe it's of any medical benefit.

I haven't picked up a copy in a while, but I remember out local "free weekly" newspapers would typically have back page ads of mostly medical marijuana doctors. It's seemed almost like a semi-legal version of doctors prescribing Oxycontin. More like people who would pay their $100 to get their card and not really be questioned much about any condition that really required it. In any case I'm not a big believer in weed being terribly evil. Why it's in a US federal controlled substances category that even cocaine isn't in boggles the mind.

Way back when California initially had medical marijuana legalized, the TV show Nash Bridges did a scene at a medical marijuana dispensary. They had Tommy Chong's character going to one, where a cop (Cheech Marin) is asking him what it's for and he says depression.

Barry: If you want to find Tiger, this is where you'll find him.
Joe: This is a marijuana club.
I know. Totally legal under prop 215 as long as you have a valid medical excuse.
For what?
Weed. Pot. Dope. Marijuana. Grass.
No, I mean what's wrong with you?
Oh! Depression.
Depression?
Yeah, I get really depressed when I'm not getting stoned.

I don’t know, but I would guess it was a religious reason. I know, I know, doctors should keep that sort of thing out of being a doctor but he’s great otherwise. My neurologist said no too..not sure why. I wasn’t going to get a card, just curious.
The part that surprises me is if they really didn't believe it was appropriate for you (for whatever reason) that they'd suggest you go on-line to get a card. That just makes no sense.

Last edited:
I suppose a lot won't do it if they don't feel it has therapeutic value. I know some simply refuse to believe it's of any medical benefit.
I've talked to my doctor about this in depth. He is very pro MMJ, (actually cannabis in general), but is not pursuing becoming an approved physician at this time.

Physicians are not required to keep up to date on every medical treatment or condition. I don't how license renewal is in other states, but here physicians do have to have CE credits when they renew, but they get to choose the majority of topics/hours. Some are mandated, like child abuse and opioids, but the rest of the CE hours are entirely up to them. Some doctors simply don't research MMJ because of how involved the research into it can be, especially if they want to become approved to certify/recommend patients to the MMJ program. Many doctors are fine with maintaining the status quo, seeing patients for colds, flu, arthritis, etc. and just don't want to get involved in "new" treatments. They have their clientele, so to speak, and are not interested in branching out. Especially older physicians approaching retirement.

Some physicians are waiting for more definitive US research to become available. There's research from other countries but some are waiting to see how the MMJ programs are working in the US. The majority are not interested in pioneering MMJ in my area. It is FAR easier for physicians to hand out drug samples from the many reps that visit them each day. It's a no brainer to hand a patient a sample with dosage instructions already printed on the box, rather than try to work with patients to find a MMJ delivery method/strain/dosage that will help them. It's trial and error to find a strain, method etc that works and some doctors just don't want to be that involved. They're busy enough as it is.

And others really are just against it in general. For whatever their personal reasons are. I think as more patient experiences come out and more research is done, they will have to pay more attention to it as a treatment option for many, many conditions.

It reminds me of experiences I had with my thyroid medicine. I am on a natural desiccated prescribed thyroid medicine and in interviewing endocrinologists over the years I've had two of them tell me that they will never, ever prescribe it to patients. They prefer the Big Pharma synthetic drugs. There is research on my medication and it's one that had been used regularly before the synthetic versions were created, but these doctors put all their stock in "lab created, regulated medicine" and won't even look into anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter