Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
What about doing some FP (maybe not as high a % as other rides) so it rewards those that stay on property for longer stays

But then instead of standard standby you do the BG/virtual queue system for day of. This way you aren't stuck in a line for 5+ hours and those that didn't get a FP still have a shot day if if they rope drop
This is a good idea but it good have to be an incredibly low number of fp , not sure how people would feel with long trips and still not able to get one. It is the best option of them all other than the current BG.
Off topic my DD got the talk about fp and MFSR when it opens on the 19th and it looks like they will be allowing 100 fp in for every 2 to 5 groups (20 people) on standby, that's how crazy attractions with fp are.

At about 100 people per boarding group, 10 boarding groups an hour, 10 hours a day, about 10K lucky folks ride ROTR a day. If they go the normal 80% FP route then they would be handing out 8K FP a day. On any given day there are 100K people staying onsite. Unless you are staying club level and paying for extra passes, it would take a very long stay to get those fast passes.

This would certainly add to the allure of booking the Star Wars hotel.

I was going to say, if it went to FP, it would be nice to see it just go to a straight 30 day window (ie, from the day of booking, not from the start of a trip, etc). Since otherwise, they would absolutely all be snapped up 68-70 days in advance.

But then I think people would just be making a game of trying to score 30 days in advance of each day of their trip and possibly grab more FPs than they will actually use. Maybe the number of advance FP's per reservation could also be limited, and you could still try for an in-park BG if you want more rides.

Of the options offered to vote on, I would say that the current system is the best to give every type of visitor a chance. Short stays, long stays, value to delux, off site or on site, your odds are the same. What I would like to see however is FOR NOW, limit the availability to one ride every 4 days. Knowing this upfront guests can decide if they want to purchase a HS ticket again within 4 days of riding, or just go to another park. This would help eliminate the need to wake up so early and it would also allow more guests to be able to at least ride it once during their vacation, (or more if on a longer stay.) I find it sad that people may not get to ride even once because others are doing repeat rides in a week. Some guest travel long distances, or only get to visit once in many years, or a lifetime.

This is a good idea but it good have to be an incredibly low number of fp , not sure how people would feel with long trips and still not able to get one. It is the best option of them all other than the current BG.
Off topic my DD got the talk about fp and MFSR when it opens on the 19th and it looks like they will be allowing 100 fp in for every 2 to 5 groups (20 people) on standby, that's how crazy attractions with fp are.

yeah, that is my (outsider/rumor) understanding is most FP attracitons are like 89+% FP vs standby. I did hear at one point at least that Slinky Dog was taking a higher % of standby than other rides which is why that standby line seems to move better than others (and another reason it is really hard to get FPs for it)

But obviously i don't know for certain and I agree it would need to be something more like 50/50 or so

Most of your options would completely eliminate non Disney resort guests and locals from access which makes them all a non starter for me. I get that those staying in a Disney resort feel they are due ‘special privilege’ for doing so but that privilege should not wipe all others who represent more than 50% of the people in the parks each day from accessing the attraction.

too many people who only stay at Disney owned resorts seem to loose perspective that they are not the only people there. The current system is the most equitable model as long as demand continues to outstrip capacity to the level it does on this attraction.

Of the options offered to vote on, I would say that the current system is the best to give every type of visitor a chance. Short stays, long stays, value to delux, off site or on site, your odds are the same. What I would like to see however is FOR NOW, limit the availability to one ride every 4 days. Knowing this upfront guests can decide if they want to purchase a HS ticket again within 4 days of riding, or just go to another park. This would help eliminate the need to wake up so early and it would also allow more guests to be able to at least ride it once during their vacation, (or more if on a longer stay.) I find it sad that people may not get to ride even once because others are doing repeat rides in a week. Some guest travel long distances, or only get to visit once in many years, or a lifetime.
This is also my preference but I think we're in the minority. I proposed 5 day wait in another thread and it wasn't well received :-).

Most of your options would completely eliminate non Disney resort guests and locals from access which makes them all a non starter for me. I get that those staying in a Disney resort feel they are due ‘special privilege’ for doing so but that privilege should not wipe all others who represent more than 50% of the people in the parks each day from accessing the attraction.

too many people who only stay at Disney owned resorts seem to loose perspective that they are not the only people there. The current system is the most equitable model as long as demand continues to outstrip capacity to the level it does on this attraction.

I don't disagree with you except to say that none of the methods disadvantage off site guests any more than the current situation with Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog.

As things stand currently, with FOP and Slinky Dog, there is virtually no FP availability 30 days out. So off-site guests already are stuck with massive long lines.
I'd say that most of the options in the poll treat onsite guests *better* than the current FP system

So --
FP+ system --- Off site guests face the same issue as they currently face with FOP
Standby only: Offsite would get the same treatment as onsite
Lottery the night before: Offsite guests treated the same as onsite, need at least a 2 day ticket
Pre-selling boarding passes with a separate charge: Offsite treated the same as onsite. Just like buying hard ticket events.
Boarding pass when booking trip: Didn't limit it to when booking a hotel package. Could book your boarding pass whenever you book your 5+ day ticket, whether onsite or offsite. Just be prepared to commit your tickets far in advance of the trip.

Now, there is nothing wrong with Disney giving onsite guests an advantage -- They have done that for years, they have every right to give an incentive to stay onsite. But it would be nice to give onsite an advantage without totally shutting out offsite. Just difficult to find the balance when demand exceeds supply by so much, and Disney simply has to put in means of exclusion.

Why not remove the requirement that you have to be in the park for the 7am boarding group distribution? There is no real need to do that, as long as you can get to the ride within an hour (or maybe 2). Eliminating the in-park requirement would (1) relieve congestion at park opening, and (2) allow people--especially those who don't win the boarding group lottery--to sleep in and/or not waste their time.

Why not remove the requirement that you have to be in the park for the 7am boarding group distribution? There is no real need to do that, as long as you can get to the ride within an hour (or maybe 2). Eliminating the in-park requirement would (1) relieve congestion at park opening, and (2) allow people--especially those who don't win the boarding group lottery--to sleep in and/or not waste their time.

the down side is you would have (potentially) a lot more people trying to get a BG as you could have locals trying everymorning from home and if they get one great, if not, oh well, try again tomorrow. By requiring you to enter the park you are limiting it to people that are using a park ticket for the day or at least AP holders to make the effort to get there

The other problem with FP is right now they are using FPs to recover from downtime, which unfortunately is still happening a lot. It wouldn’t be hard to imagine they would end up with a two to three hour fast pass line due to recovery FPs on top of regular FPs. If they had two hours of downtime in a day you already have more FPs than the ride can handle in a single day.

I voted for the current system. Here's why.

(1) FP+ system: This'd be a great idea if this ride were 2 or 3 years old. Now? I can't see it. People who had 10-days trips planned would snag all the FP+s for this ride. I see the FP+s totally gone at 60+9, maybe 60+8. 60+7 is a dream. No way.

(2) Standby only: Are you kidding? As other posters have mentioned, FoP still has 3- and 4-hour standby lines. And if you think this'd be great because you don't want to get up to get to the park before it opens, think again. The people who get to the park when it opens would be the very people in the standby line. And there'd be thousands of them. It's possible they'd be the only people in the standby line since at a certain point WDW would have to cut off the line. I personally do not want to stand in line for 4 or 5 or 8 hours for any ride, even though I've been on RotR and it is spectacular.

(3) Boarding pass lottery the evening before. I had to think about this one. The problem with this is that every single person who was eligible for this lottery would enter it every darn day, thereby making any individual's or family's chances of scoring a BG lower and lower. And who would decide who was eligible? And it would still mess with all one's plans since, unless they got rid of the FP+ system altogether, people would have made a lot of plans 60 or 30 days in advance.

(4) Pre-selling boarding passes for $50/pass. This rewards people who have lots of money to throw at Disney. Why are they getting rewarded? Do you want RotR to be a ride for only those with lots of excess cash? How mean is that? And what if you bought one of these passes and the day you went the ride didn't work and you couldn't go back again? Hmmm. I vote absolutely NOT on this suggestion.

(5) Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip. Here I picture having to get on the computer at 7 a.m. a year in advance of when I want to go to WDW just in order to book my resort and having to pay full price. Well, WDW might really love this idea--they'd no longer have to give room discounts or free dining and their resorts would be booked solid for a year in advance. OK, maybe there aren't that many people who're hot to ride RotR, but, judging from the lines I stood in in December and the new gone-in-a-minute BG system, I think it's not far-fetched to think this.

I'm not totally in love with the current system, but until someone comes up with a better one, my vote is still cast there.

Does anyone know what the actual survey said? Apologies if this is somewhere in the thread. I didn't have a chance to read every single post.

Voted for FP just like all other rides. Otherwise just standby.

I don't consider the current system standby - it's hoping to obtain a boarding group in the first 45 seconds the park is open and then hoping that the ride stays up until the boarding group 12+ hours later. It singularly gave the most disappointing moment and tiring day that I've ever experienced at WDW. If it were actually standby now vs this boarding group fiasco I'd like that better.

Wouldn't work. The 7am (in park) naturally reduces the demand to a level that it can actually handle.
If you just had to set your alarm for 7 am... then instead of 10,000 people seeking boarding passes at the same time, it would be 30,000-50,000 people logging in at the same time. And 50-80% wouldn't even get boarding passes.

Making people actually work to get the boarding group is a natural way to reduce the demand to a manageable level.

I voted for the current system. Here's why.

(3) Boarding pass lottery the evening before. I had to think about this one. The problem with this is that every single person who was eligible for this lottery would enter it every darn day, thereby making any individual's or family's chances of scoring a BG lower and lower. And who would decide who was eligible? And it would still mess with all one's plans since, unless they got rid of the FP+ system altogether, people would have made a lot of plans 60 or 30 days in advance.

This I saw suggested elsewhere -- it's boarding pass lottery where you have to be IN THE PARK. Can't enter is every day, unless you decide to head to DHS at 7pm every day.

(4) Pre-selling boarding passes for $50/pass. This rewards people who have lots of money to throw at Disney. Why are they getting rewarded?

That already happens. Club guests can buy 90 day fastpasses, which is effectively a FP to FOP/Slinky Dog, pre-scheduled at any time they want. People buy early morning/late night tickets, throwing extra money to get more park time with low waits. People spend extra to stay onsite, to get a 60 day booking window for FPs. Various VIP tours come with line cutting.

So Disney already rewards those willing to spend extra, in lots and lots of ways.

Look at it this way, you pay "extra" if you want to use a Disney Water park during your trip. You pay "extra" if you want to experience dinner in Cinderella's Castle. Is paying "extra" for a special attraction really that different? Yes, it feels a little different than past attractions, but it really isn't fundamentally a massive change.
Especially if you still had a way for non-paying guests to enjoy it. (Pay extra for a boarding group... but anyone can get in a 5 hour standby line).

(5) Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip. Here I picture having to get on the computer at 7 a.m. a year in advance of when I want to go to WDW just in order to book my resort and having to pay full price. Well, WDW might really love this idea--

Yea.. you just made it sound perfect! I'd rather get on my computer at home at 7am a year in advance, then show up in the park at 6am to start smashing the app on my phone at exactly 6am!

And yes, Disney would love the idea of paying full price. And perfect supply/demand marketing. If people really don't think it's worth it, then people won't book it.. and there will still be availability later on.

Does anyone know what the actual survey said? Apologies if this is somewhere in the thread. I didn't have a chance to read every single post.

Yes, you can find it. It gave just 3 options, current boarding group, limited FP+ plus standby, or standby only.

the down side is you would have (potentially) a lot more people trying to get a BG as you could have locals trying everymorning from home and if they get one great, if not, oh well, try again tomorrow. By requiring you to enter the park you are limiting it to people that are using a park ticket for the day or at least AP holders to make the effort to get there
Despite what many think, MOST locals live normal lives with normal jobs that we go off to every day, just like everyone else. Please don’t judge ‘locals’ by what see of the YouTubers. MOST locals would pursue a boarding pass the same way we do a FastPass+ when we are planning to head to the parks. MOST locals could not care less to try and steal all the boarding passes every day.

Just physical presence for your whole party inside the park. This benefits Disney as it will require longer trips and/or more park hopper tickets. If a whole family is really going to enter the park just for a few minutes at 7pm just to enter the lottery... then they probably have purchased park hoppers. It's actually doubtful that most people would enter the park just to enter the lottery and then leave. Getting to the park and through security is still a time commitment.

Of course, the potential problem of a massive evening surge of attendance shortly before you want to actually close the park.

Uneven attendance distribution is a problem with many methods, including the current method (which is causing standby lines to be longest, earliest in the morning).

I misunderstood, I thought you meant a lottery the night before outside of the park. I think if there is going to be a lottery or sorts, there needs to be the benefit of not actually having to waste WDW time to join it, which of course opens up a whole other host of issues.

I think all signs point to the current method being the all around best. Most other suggestions are ones that benefit the individual suggesting it directly, but would make things worse for other guests. People who don't mind paying for access in favour of some sort of pay pass, people who stay onsite (especially those who have long stays - guilty of this myself!) being okay with a system similar to the current FP one, people who have no concept of the disaster it would be wanting a straight stand by line (sorry, couldn't resist lol, I don't understand wanting that), etc.

The virtual queue provides the most control with downtime, does not take into consideration your length of stay or where you're staying, does not require any additional money to be spent, saves you from having to spend hours in line, gets mostly everyone on who puts in the effort to join (save for the really bad days), and doesn't prevent you from enjoying the other DHS with FP. Is it perfect? No. I wish it didn't require getting there so early, but that's the best way to handle it IMO.

Despite what many think, MOST locals live normal lives with normal jobs that we go off to every day, just like everyone else. Please don’t judge ‘locals’ by what see of the YouTubers. MOST locals would pursue a boarding pass the same way we do a FastPass+ when we are planning to head to the parks. MOST locals could not care less to try and steal all the boarding passes every day.

I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of people who would join a lottery just incase and then decide to go if they got a BG, because there's nothing to lose and little effort required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter