• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
The virtual queue provides the most control with downtime, does not take into consideration your length of stay or where you're staying, does not require any additional money to be spent, saves you from having to spend hours in line, gets mostly everyone on who puts in the effort to join (save for the really bad days), and doesn't prevent you from enjoying the other DHS with FP. Is it perfect? No. I wish it didn't require getting there so early, but that's the best way to handle it IMO.

I added the bolding to the clause above. I think you are taking too narrow a view about "requiring" any more money to be spent. I experienced a BG fail the first morning we tried, and the only saving grace was that we had paid extra for PHs. If we hadn't had those, we would have been stuck at DHS completely unable to ride the ride we most wanted, no matter how willing we were to stand in line all day.
The next day we almost didn't get to ride again because despite being group 83, the ride broke down multiple times and we were the last group who got to ride--15 hours after my 5yo and her siblings had awakened. If we hadn't managed to ride or had taken a FP for the next day as some in our group did while waiting for the ride to come up again, we would have needed to spend another day of our tickets on DHS.
Then after that disappointing day where we probably did most of the park (not that much to do, esp if some in your group don't do thrills like ToT), we would have had to decide if we should come back, burning another day on our ticket on DHS, maybe failing again and being stuck at a park we had already toured. So one's choices with this lottery is spend extra for PHs or potentially face losing days to tour other parks until you get a BG (and actually get to ride). And/or plan for a longer vacation (more money again!) to allow for more time to try for a ride (which is more complicated than just getting a BG) and still have days left for the other parks.
Maybe spending more money is not strictly required, but it certainly ups your chances of being able to try multiple times, which might be needed to actually ride.

I added the bolding to the clause above. I think you are taking too narrow a view about "requiring" any more money to be spent. I experienced a BG fail the first morning we tried, and the only saving grace was that we had paid extra for PHs. If we hadn't had those, we would have been stuck at DHS completely unable to ride the ride we most wanted, no matter how willing we were to stand in line all day.
The next day we almost didn't get to ride again because despite being group 83, the ride broke down multiple times and we were the last group who got to ride--15 hours after my 5yo and her siblings had awakened. If we hadn't managed to ride or had taken a FP for the next day as some in our group did while waiting for the ride to come up again, we would have needed to spend another day of our tickets on DHS.
Then after that disappointing day where we probably did most of the park (not that much to do, esp if some in your group don't do thrills like ToT), we would have had to decide if we should come back, burning another day on our ticket on DHS, maybe failing again and being stuck at a park we had already toured. So one's choices with this lottery is spend extra for PHs or potentially face losing days to tour other parks until you get a BG (and actually get to ride). And/or plan for a longer vacation (more money again!) to allow for more time to try for a ride (which is more complicated than just getting a BG) and still have days left for the other parks.
Maybe spending more money is not strictly required, but it certainly ups your chances of being able to try multiple times, which might be needed to actually ride.
Ugh, this is exactly what I am afraid of. We never do park hoppers as the cost for our larger family is a lot and we prefer the pace of one park per day. And I would never spend more than one day in HS given the lack of rides for small kids. It is, however, costless for us to put Hollywood studios at the end of our trip in order to improve odds of getting a FP, so I guess whether it costs more money than a FP will vary person to person.

Ugh, this is exactly what I am afraid of. We never do park hoppers as the cost for our larger family is a lot and we prefer the pace of one park per day. And I would never spend more than one day in HS given the lack of rides for small kids. It is, however, costless for us to put Hollywood studios at the end of our trip in order to improve odds of getting a FP, so I guess whether it costs more money than a FP will vary person to person.

I'm a nerd, and thus have friends who are not Disney people who are now planning trips for SW:GE. I have told all of them that they need PHs for the flexibility to deal with what may or may not happen with trying to ride RotR. In case luck is not on your side on your first try, I don't see how you can get out of spending both time and money to get a BG and ride.
Can people upgrade to PHs in the middle of a trip? Like try DHS their first day, maybe things work out. If things don't, then upgrade tickets to PHs?
GL with your trip!

I'm a nerd, and thus have friends who are not Disney people who are now planning trips for SW:GE. I have told all of them that they need PHs for the flexibility to deal with what may or may not happen with trying to ride RotR. In case luck is not on your side on your first try, I don't see how you can get out of spending both time and money to get a BG and ride.
Can people upgrade to PHs in the middle of a trip? Like try DHS their first day, maybe things work out. If things don't, then upgrade tickets to PHs?
GL with your trip!
Yes, you can buy hoppers after you are already there but I think you have to pay for each day on your ticket even if that day is in the past.

We have a longer trip but we are planning to have 2 DHS days and one less MK day. The plan is that if we get a BG and get everything we want done in 1 day, it’s pretty easy to turn the 2nd day back to an MK day. I’d look for day of ADRs and FPs and since it’s not our only MK day, we’d treat it as a bonus. We’d do some of the things that don’t require planning ahead that the kids love (Sorcerers and Pirates Adventure). So we are not planning to shell out more than we would have to get a ride on RotR. But I understand that not everyone is in that situation.

I'm a nerd, and thus have friends who are not Disney people who are now planning trips for SW:GE. I have told all of them that they need PHs for the flexibility to deal with what may or may not happen with trying to ride RotR.

That doesn't make much sense. If they are only going for SWGE (and not Disney people) then why do they want to go to other WDW parks? At long as they are in the park before opening, they have 60 seconds to get a regular boarding group. It's really not that difficult. If it breaks down, they'll either get a FP or one-day DHS ticket. It's not worth paying for Park Hopper just spend time trekking all over to ride Space Mountain, Test Track, and/or Flight of Passage.

That doesn't make much sense. If they are only going for SWGE (and not Disney people) then why do they want to go to other WDW parks? At long as they are in the park before opening, they have 60 seconds to get a regular boarding group. It's really not that difficult. If it breaks down, they'll either get a FP or one-day DHS ticket. It's not worth paying for Park Hopper just spend time trekking all over to ride Space Mountain, Test Track, and/or Flight of Passage.
OK, I have to say that it might be worth a PH to ride FoP. But you can upgrade a regular ticket to a PH, so there's always that. No need to buy a PH to begin with if SWGE is really the only thing your friends want to see . . . but, you know, Pandora. Do they really want to miss that?

OK, I have to say that it might be worth a PH to ride FoP. But you can upgrade a regular ticket to a PH, so there's always that. No need to buy a PH to begin with if SWGE is really the only thing your friends want to see . . . but, you know, Pandora. Do they really want to miss that?

Obviously it's up to the ticketholder whether it's worth ~$40 plus transit time plus security time (probably negligible after opening) plus waiting 2-4 hours in line since s/he wouldn't have a FP. There are plenty of rides at DHS that are wildly entertaining to spend a full day.

I love all things geeky, but Avatar (the movie) looked awful, so I never watched it--which certainly skews my view of having zero desire to visit Pandora (plus the moral objection of a for-profit entity running a zoo precludes me from ever visiting Animal Kingdom, but that's another story).

I think the current system is best not just for me but also for Disney. Here's why:

I'm not a Disney person. I'm a Star Wars fan. I have no interest in spending 10 days or the corresponding amount of money at WDW. But SWGE is getting me into the park.

It will be interesting to see how DIS approaches queue management with the opening of Avenger Campus at Disneyland.

It will be interesting to see how DIS approaches queue management with the opening of Avenger Campus at Disneyland.

Man I wish we could have Avenger Campus here at WDW. I know it can't because of contracts with Universal, but i'd wait 6 hours to check it out. Part of me is seriously considering going to DL after it opens to see it. As obvious by the pic above my username, I am huge marvel nerd. I plan on getting my first tattoo soon and it's gonna be Avengers themed

Maybe discussed in one of the many other threads on this ride, but anyone know the total ride capacity per hour when it is running? It seems the HUGE lines/queues I am reading about are the result on Disney not planning for enough capacity. How many people fit in each car, how long is the ride and how many total cars are running at any one time? If they can't get enough capacity when everything is working correctly, not sure how they will ever solve the problem of enormous lines of people wanting to ride.

Maybe discussed in one of the many other threads on this ride, but anyone know the total ride capacity per hour when it is running? It seems the HUGE lines/queues I am reading about are the result on Disney not planning for enough capacity. How many people fit in each car, how long is the ride and how many total cars are running at any one time? If they can't get enough capacity when everything is working correctly, not sure how they will ever solve the problem of enormous lines of people wanting to ride.
at full throttle it's supposed to be 1500 to 1800 per hour. Each car holds 8 and they launch 2 cars / As to how many cars I don't think anyone knows that right now.
The problem is that everything is NOT working correctly, which is why the VQ/BG systems needs to be in place until they can figure it out

at full throttle it's supposed to be 1500 to 1800 per hour. Each car holds 8 and they launch 2 cars / As to how many cars I don't think anyone knows that right now.
The problem is that everything is NOT working correctly, which is why the VQ/BG systems needs to be in place until they can figure it out
Also, @_19disnA, if you haven't been on RotR--and I don't want to spoil anything for you here if you haven't been--it's not just one "ride," it's multiple different things ("things" is the technical term!). I don't want to say more about this since I think there aren't any spoilers on this thread. This multitude of different things is one of the reasons why RotR is so popular--it's a unique experience.

When we tried to ride RoR on 1/17, I think the ride was offline more than it was online. The first time we got through part of the experience, we were in our transport vehicle, there were 2 in the room. When we finally did get to ride later in the day, there was only 1 transport vehicle. So they definitely have some ride capacity issues. Until they can keep the ride online and consistently running, they will have to stick with Boarding Groups.

^^ I asked mostly to see how this compares with other popular Disney rides. Even if they eliminate the downtime, was curious to know how that capacity compares to other rides. Have to assume Disney plans the ride/# of tracks/cars based on the desired capacity.

I ticked fp+ as this is the method I would prefer. But I think FP+ and the current standby method would work well. The thought of not getting a standby place on our HS day's scares me and makes me worry about having to change my other plans!

I ticked fp+ as this is the method I would prefer. But I think FP+ and the current standby method would work well. The thought of not getting a standby place on our HS day's scares me and makes me worry about having to change my other plans!
Just to clarify--the current method isn't standby. It's boarding groups, which you can get if you're in the park at the official opening time and you have the MDE app and jump on getting a boarding group immediately at park-opening time. There is zero standby currently. The people who're waiting in line have a boarding group.

I don't think WDW will go to FP+ for this ride until (1) the demand dies down somewhat--it's crazy-popular right now--and (2) the ride is more reliable. Right now components of it are still breaking down regularly.

Don't be scared about this. What's the worst than can happen? You won't get a boarding group or you'll get a backup boarding group (these aren't guaranteed). If you don't have a park hopper, though, that could present difficulties. But there's much more to do in DHS and unless you're going in the next couple of weeks, MMRR will be open (March 4). Also, FP+ are now available for MFSR, and the SWGE area itself is a pleasure to take in. Book an ADR at Oga's--lots of fun. Shop at the Black Spire marketplace. Gape at all the fabulous details everywhere. Yes, RotR is extraordinary, but even if you didn't get a BG--and if you get to the park before opening time you almost certainly will--there's still plenty to enjoy.

I didn't vote because I really don't know what I think is best. We're only going for four park days so FP+ would mean we couldn't ride. I'd hate to pay extra for a certain ride. That sounds like a bad trend where you pay a ton for tickets then have extra costs for particular rides. I haven't been yet so I'm not sure about the current system but it sounds like our best chance of riding it. I go in April and I'd rather the current system stays than anything else.

Just to clarify--the current method isn't standby. It's boarding groups, which you can get if you're in the park at the official opening time and you have the MDE app and jump on getting a boarding group immediately at park-opening time. There is zero standby currently. The people who're waiting in line have a boarding group.

I don't think WDW will go to FP+ for this ride until (1) the demand dies down somewhat--it's crazy-popular right now--and (2) the ride is more reliable. Right now components of it are still breaking down regularly.

Don't be scared about this. What's the worst than can happen? You won't get a boarding group or you'll get a backup boarding group (these aren't guaranteed). If you don't have a park hopper, though, that could present difficulties. But there's much more to do in DHS and unless you're going in the next couple of weeks, MMRR will be open (March 4). Also, FP+ are now available for MFSR, and the SWGE area itself is a pleasure to take in. Book an ADR at Oga's--lots of fun. Shop at the Black Spire marketplace. Gape at all the fabulous details everywhere. Yes, RotR is extraordinary, but even if you didn't get a BG--and if you get to the park before opening time you almost certainly will--there's still plenty to enjoy.

Oh yes I meant the boarding groups not standby. The way it is at the moment though it seems that you can end up on a back up if you aren't in the first 50 seconds of the day. Thankfully I don't go until the end of April and we will have hoppers. Shouldn't be a problem as most of our stay is at Boardwalk as well.

Oh yes I meant the boarding groups not standby. The way it is at the moment though it seems that you can end up on a back up if you aren't in the first 50 seconds of the day. Thankfully I don't go until the end of April and we will have hoppers. Shouldn't be a problem as most of our stay is at Boardwalk as well.
Yeah, it's been 50 seconds lately. However, except on bad days--there've been 5 or 6 of them so far--people with backup BGs have, for the most part, been able to ride. They recently lowered the number of regular BGs--many reasons speculated for this--but it's not impossible to get them. Keep reading the RotR no-spoilers thread and you'll be up to date on what's going on. You should be fine. And having hoppers + staying at the Boardwalk = excellent!

If they keep the current system, one tweak I would be in favor of is making the boarding group distribution a lottery. Everyone who enters the park and registers on their phone by opening time (say 8am) is entered. At 8:10 Disney distributes everyone’s regular/backup groups.

I’m sure those with the best phones and fastest fingers prefer the current setup, but it seems unfortunate to those who have a bad 5 minutes with their phone that they likely won’t ride that day.

If additional backup groups remain after the 8:10 lottery, they could be distributed on a rolling basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter