• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riviera Pricing Released

I'm being somewhat facetious but I think BCV and BWV resale prices just dropped $10/point. It looks great!

It will be interesting to see if it has any effect on BCV/BWV prices. While it's only marginally more expensive for another 27 years of contract, the point structure is WAY higher.

Riviera: $176 for 150 points after incentives works out to an effective cost of $11.83 per point ($3.52 /pt /yr plus $8.31 MF)

BWV: $120 works out to an effective $12.39 per point ($5.22 /pt /yr + $7.17 MF)

BUT, a preferred view studio in Magic Season is 26 points at Riviera and only 18 points at BWV. So, really the true cost ends up being far cheaper at BWV ($223) vs Riviera ($322).

Last edited:
No doubt about that, but as many people point out we're the fringe people that make informed purchases. I think most DVC members are folks that take the tour out of curiosity and buy on the spot.

YMMV but the restrictions have scarred me away. I would have bought a small add on but now I wait for the resale contracts which will in a year approx.

YMMV but the restrictions have scarred me away. I would have bought a small add on but now I wait for the resale contracts which will in a year approx.
I am definitely curious to see what happens with resale. I have a family member who was mostly likely going to buy Riviera direct. Then the restrictions were announced and we decided to change the plan.

I definitely think the gondolas will be a success and some are underestimating how valuable they will be. Given all that it still seems risky to buy with the new restrictions.

I'm almost wondering if we should have bought out direct add-on at DRR instead of CCV. I think the skyliner will be successful. Love the look of the room, especially the bathroom. And the fold down bed is a definite upgrade from the foldout sofa.
Similar, I'm wondering if I should have bought less CCV and budgeted more for DRR. Though I shaved off, from my CCV purchase, enough for a 75 point add on to cover a long weekend during F&W. Hoping to sneak in next February to give it a try before finally deciding.

Similar, I'm wondering if I should have bought less CCV and budgeted more for DRR. Though I shaved off, from my CCV purchase, enough for a 75 point add on to cover a long weekend during F&W. Hoping to sneak in next February to give it a try before finally deciding.

I'm going to ask my guide if she can book my CCV "welcome home" stay at DRR in January. Just to take a look...

Agreed that we have no idea what effect the restrictions will have on BCV/BWV resale pricing. It has just never made sense to me that BCV resale pricing runs fairly even with BLT given the 18 less years of contract length. I can only attribute it to the demand for the Boardwalk/Epcot location and the limited supply of contracts. Now that there is a legitimate alternative for the location it will be interesting to see how they compete. 28 year longer contract length versus resale restrictions and skyliner. I think for anyone under 50 the longer contract length will at least cause them to consider DRR.

I'm surprised that people aren't talking more about the maintenance fees. Are the guides addressing this at all? Because at a starting point of $8.31, even modest 3% annual increases will have the dues in VB territory in just four years. I understand that it's brand new, on property, etc. so the comparison to VB is not entirely fair. But the comparison of dues is. At 7 months all points are the same. While many of us take advantage of the 11 month booking window, many of us don't. VB is virtually untouchable because of the high maintenance fees. But Riviera isn't that far off and it's the shiny new toy that everyone wants.

I saw the room video and it's absolutely beautiful, and I definitely want to stay there. But with dues starting at $8.31 I'm scared to own there. What am I missing?

I'm surprised that people aren't talking more about the maintenance fees. Are the guides addressing this at all? Because at a starting point of $8.31, even modest 3% annual increases will have the dues in VB territory in just four years. I understand that it's brand new, on property, etc. so the comparison to VB is not entirely fair. But the comparison of dues is. At 7 months all points are the same. While many of us take advantage of the 11 month booking window, many of us don't. VB is virtually untouchable because of the high maintenance fees. But Riviera isn't that far off and it's the shiny new toy that everyone wants.

I saw the room video and it's absolutely beautiful, and I definitely want to stay there. But with dues starting at $8.31 I'm scared to own there. What am I missing?

I have never been on a tour, but I can't imagine a guide would voluntarily talk about MFs. I think it's an afterthought for most buying on impulse. Some may not realize MF even exist until the statement arrives in the mail at year end (may be a bit of exaggeration here). The point is that the overall cost of MF will scare a lot of potential buyers just like you.

LAX

Agreed that we have no idea what effect the restrictions will have on BCV/BWV resale pricing. It has just never made sense to me that BCV resale pricing runs fairly even with BLT given the 18 less years of contract length. I can only attribute it to the demand for the Boardwalk/Epcot location and the limited supply of contracts. Now that there is a legitimate alternative for the location it will be interesting to see how they compete. 28 year longer contract length versus resale restrictions and skyliner. I think for anyone under 50 the longer contract length will at least cause them to consider DRR.
It isn’t just the location though. I overpaid for BCV in 2018. It’s where we want to stay. It’s a smaller resort with a lower points chart. It’s the resort itself plus the location that keeps the resale price high. BWV is not as high and has a similar location. It’s the intangible.

Meh. And looks cramped. Definitely European style in that respect.
We definitely do not cram a crowd into any space. We stay 1 BR for the two of us, 2 BR for 3-4 etc. With that said, I felt like I could at least grasp the concept of 5 sleeping in the studio space. More so than in other studios where 5 would be allowed. I would definitely be “stowing” the Murphy beds first thing in the morning.

What am I missing?

It absolutely caught my attention before buying. I was disappointed in the MF cost.

However - a few things balanced against it.

1- if the MF was $1 less per pt I would have thought it was reasonable

2- the actual price per pt was about $18 less per pt then I expected. That is about 18 years of maintenance cost difference then my expectation. So the core value prop I was expecting was about the same.

3- MF have controls (they can’t just make them up - they are tied to real costs). I figured there is nothing except the gondola that will make this resort inherently more expensive and I am buying it in large part for the gondola. So - overtime - it will normalize around the real costs and the premium I will be paying will be for a feature I really want well maintained. So I can live with it.

All together - rationalizing it or not -it got me past the initial MF being high.

1- if the MF was $1 less per pt I would have thought it was reasonable

2- the actual price per pt was about $18 less per pt then I expected. That is about 18 years of maintenance cost difference then my expectation. So the core value prop I was expecting was about the same.

Not compounded it's not. When I was looking at AKV vs. SSR it was AMAZING how much fast that "only $1" compounds.

Not compounded it's not. When I was looking at AKV vs. SSR it was AMAZING how much fast that "only $1" compounds.

If you want to get technical on the financials, you then have to consider the time value of money not being spent upfront. So the compounding is offset by the value of the money you saved upfront. That means comparing the average MF increase to the average return I would be getting in our portfolio.

I kept the conversation more basic in my response :-)

I would never second guess a CCV purchase against a DRR purchase. Apples to oranges. CCV lower MF’s, lower point chart.

And no resale restrictions to home resort. HUGE difference. If you buy Riviera, there is no longer the understanding that you can get out relatively unscathed by reselling. HUGE, HUGE difference. Disney is really underestimating how smart people are today. I am convinced that the majority of people who walk through that moderately impressive model room are going to think twice, three times before buying. People are more savvy about financial matters than they were even 10 years ago because of the proliferation of information on the internet and elsewhere. And once people step away, it's over, because they will start reading more about the pitfalls of "new" DVC. This is new territory for Disney and an incredible mistake in my opinion.

Judging from the video, the furniture has been "pre-distressed" with that "antiqued" look for your convenience. It may be hard to tell when the furniture gets nicked up. This might help extend the life of the rooms, by not having a re-furb as soon ..... time will tell.

After thinking about RVA MFs for awhile we all need to remember these are for 2020. I'm a AKV owner and those MF went up over 10% this year (2019). If I take AKV MFs for 2019 ($7.44 × 1.1 = $8.18). So in comparison RVA at $8.31 vs AKV at $8.18 for 2020. I also imagine MF at RVA will increase slower than all older resorts.

And no resale restrictions to home resort. HUGE difference. If you buy Riviera, there is no longer the understanding that you can get out relatively unscathed by reselling. HUGE, HUGE difference. Disney is really underestimating how smart people are today. I am convinced that the majority of people who walk through that moderately impressive model room are going to think twice, three times before buying. People are more savvy about financial matters than they were even 10 years ago because of the proliferation of information on the internet and elsewhere. And once people step away, it's over, because they will start reading more about the pitfalls of "new" DVC. This is new territory for Disney and an incredible mistake in my opinion.

I think you overestimate people's smarts. The collective debt load in the US is higher than it's ever been (per capita). Disney does not appeal to brain but to heart.

I think the bedding setup in the studio is a good choice. While most won't do 5, I expect you will have families of 4. Parents take the permanent bed, and 1 kid in each bed rather than sharing a sofa bed. That'll save some drama depending on the age of the children. Again, two showers with young teens would also be a nice bonus. No it's not a place you want 4 or 5 to hang out on a rainy day all day long. For those that spend most of their time just sleeping and using the restroom in their rooms, it will make a lot of sense. I really like the setup. Certainly the 1 bedrooms get you more room if that's your thing, but I think this style studio does a better job than the rest of the studios on property. I would also imagine the tower studios will never sit empty either, especially during food and wine, despite their size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter