ROFR Thread Jan to March 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand where people get these contracts to agree to ridiculously low amounts... I offered like $5 below asking (on several contracts) and all of them refused or were only willing to dip like $2
Try contracts through a different company. Based on the shows here it seems like the timeshare store recommends their sellers stay pretty firm. I’m sure others do as well. I had luck getting a good price through DVC store, but the second contract took a couple offers until I found one that would accept the price I was willing to pay.

I can’t even get a response from Fidelity on an offer I made. It was marginally below asking. Is this usual behaviour for them? I’ve sent a follow up email today, but still nothing.

I can’t even get a response from Fidelity on an offer I made. It was marginally below asking. Is this usual behaviour for them? I’ve sent a follow up email today, but still nothing.

Fidelity is closed on the weekends but yes, their communication can be somewhat poor. Call on Monday morning.

This has been the prevailing wisdom regarding stripped contracts. However lately Disney has taken back a number of stripped contracts. Sometimes it is not always about wanting the contract but keeping the market from getting too low. They can let resale get too low if they want their direct sales to not slip.
I don’t think Disney gives two thoughts about keeping the price up on the resale market. If anything they wish the price would be lower so they could make more money selling “sold out” resorts direct.

Goodness, they are two good deals particularly the 485 pointer. Well done! Do you mind me asking what the sellers were originally asking for these respectively?

The 485 points were originally listed at $99 per point, I offered $95, settled on $97.

Then, I got impatient during the waiting period and thought it was a long shot that it would pass ROFR, so I found the 500 points listed for $105, negotiated for $103. So I entered into that purchase agreement believing the 485 was going to get taken.

Oops, I went from 0 to 985 points in just a few weeks. Oh well, I am sure we will enjoy the points over the next 37 years!

I don’t think Disney gives two thoughts about keeping the price up on the resale market. If anything they wish the price would be lower so they could make more money selling “sold out” resorts direct.
If it is too low they buy it back and sell it themselves. So it is win win. They keep resale market prices up by making sure buyers don’t lowball the market and they also make a bigger profit when they direct sell the sold out resorts with points they buy back.

Last edited:
In the ROFR process, Disney looks at the terms of the proposed contractual sale to determine if the seller has accepted a “fair market” price for the ownership. If it is deemed a “fair market” offer, then Disney will approve the sale and let the buyer become the new owner. If Disney determines that the offer was under “fair market” value, they will step in as buyer at the same terms.

As a resale buyer, you may not like this. However, as an owner, but if you ever want to be a seller you will. The purpose of Disney’s ROFR is to control the value of their property so that it remains in step with current market. The criteria Disney uses for ROFR is not known and can vary between, but there are some important features they look at. One factor for exercising the ROFR would be if Disney feels the selling price is below the target price they have established. This includes: per point price, who is paying closing costs and the current year’s annual dues.

In the ROFR process, Disney looks at the terms of the proposed contractual sale to determine if the seller has accepted a “fair market” price for the ownership. If it is deemed a “fair market” offer, then Disney will approve the sale and let the buyer become the new owner. If Disney determines that the offer was under “fair market” value, they will step in as buyer at the same terms.

As a resale buyer, you may not like this. However, as an owner, but if you ever want to be a seller you will. The purpose of Disney’s ROFR is to control the value of their property so that it remains in step with current market. The criteria Disney uses for ROFR is not known and can vary between, but there are some important features they look at. One factor for exercising the ROFR would be if Disney feels the selling price is below the target price they have established. This includes: per point price, who is paying closing costs and the current year’s annual dues.
Disney doesn’t care about fair market value of resale contracts. They only care about making as much money as possible off direct sales. I think Disney has come to a belief that people who buy resale or going to buy resale even if the discount is only 10%. That is why they have decided to differentiate direct as much as possible. I think leadership at Disney now views their direct sales target market as not the same market as those that buy resale.

The 485 points were originally listed at $99 per point, I offered $95, settled on $97.

Then, I got impatient during the waiting period and thought it was a long shot that it would pass ROFR, so I found the 500 points listed for $105, negotiated for $103.

That’s really useful feedback. Thanks for sharing. Do you mind me asking which agents these were advertised by?

Disney doesn’t care about fair market value of resale contracts. They only care about making as much money as possible off direct sales. I think Disney has come to a belief that people who buy resale or going to buy resale even if the discount is only 10%. That is why they have decided to differentiate direct as much as possible. I think leadership at Disney now views their direct sales target market as not the same market as those that buy resale.
Fair enough. I don’t think we disagree. You are just missing my point. In order for Disney to maximize profit, they need to ensure the resale market maintains a certain price level. They can offer all sort of “benefits” to direct purchase or try to put restrictions on resale owners, but at the end of the day, they can charge $200 a point for direct if the floor drops out on the resale market. Further, one of their sales pitches is DVC ownership retains value. ROFR does that by ensuring they buy back certain contracts.
You are completely correct that this is all about Disney maximizing their profits.

Received an update from our broker indicating that the contract made it past the first phase of ROFR and will go to committee next. The wait is a killer 😬. Hoping the committee meets soon!
Wait, 2 phases to ROFR with a committee phase? I don’t recall that a few years back when I bought. Is this something new.

Wait, 2 phases to ROFR with a committee phase? I don’t recall that a few years back when I bought. Is this something new.
I don’t know as I’m new to DVC myself but when we got the email I did a search on the forums here for ROFR and committee and it brought up similar responses. Not sure how long they have been around or what is involved in each phase but it was disheartening that it took 11 days to get through phase 1.

I don't understand where people get these contracts to agree to ridiculously low amounts... I offered like $5 below asking (on several contracts) and all of them refused or were only willing to dip like $2
It could be the companies you go with. I just put in an offer on 110 points at pvb thru dvc resale market.com. seller listed at 147, I offered at 138 and got my offer accepted. Finishing paperwork this weekend then off to Disney for rofr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter