• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scared of Birds Animal Kingdom

Also, from what you guys are saying it seems to be that food is the common denominator in this. I have contacted the NHS to see if i can get some Congitive Behaviourable Therapy / hypnotherapy and if that doesnt work then i will have to consider cutting my losses and not go.. it is incredibly disappointing as I am a huge disney fan and would really love to go.. and I am 90 percent sure my bf has been waiting to pop the q.. but its going to cost £8000+ (with extra gifts etc) and its such a huge amount of money to go down the toilet If I cant enjoy it.

I hear you.

FWIW, I've now put off yoga teacher training until August, when I can go to a non-tropical place, because my fear of arachnids is SO high. And around yogis I doubt I'd be able to find someone to get rid of them for me.

It's why I mentioned therapy for your fear, because that was recently mentioned to me.

Maybe the seagull was just trying to give her the authentic british fish and chip experience. Its happened to all of us on some dark miserable windy april bank holiday.

Also, from what you guys are saying it seems to be that food is the common denominator in this. I have contacted the NHS to see if i can get some Congitive Behaviourable Therapy / hypnotherapy and if that doesnt work then i will have to consider cutting my losses and not go.. it is incredibly disappointing as I am a huge disney fan and would really love to go.. and I am 90 percent sure my bf has been waiting to pop the q.. but its going to cost £8000+ (with extra gifts etc) and its such a huge amount of money to go down the toilet If I cant enjoy it.

.. but my first post was only actually partially accurate - i get really scared, cry and stuff and freeze for the first few times and then i just get jumpy and skitty... so not perfect but.. Its like the shock has worn off ..almost. There are definatly people wtih bigger fears than mine. Pigeons i just walk round and ducks - the crying and stuff is big birds and peacocks- peacocks are the worst becasue they are what kicked this whole issue off in the first place when i was little. I'd be absolutely fine/ just have to deal with it if there was a high chance that a bird was only going to fly at me a couple of times or just walk near me a few times in a day .. but i now have this hitchcock image in my head of everytime i walk out of the resort 1000 birds are going to flock me to steal a sandwich or something ..

i dont know im just kinda really sad now.. i am glad i posted because it would of been so much worse not knowing but as we have been saving to buy a house we have never had the chance to go and i dont know- you dont see any pics with loads of birds when you look it up.. so wasnt expecting it. Just want to cry a little tbh. Maybe it is what i need to do to finally get over it - but i struggle going abroad cos of egg allergy (ironic i know) and WDW seemed so unbelievably perfect..

Thanks for the help everyone .. i think that i will go home and speak to my bf about it and see what he thinks. Then we can think through some options.

I can kind of relate. I am terrified of spiders/bugs. Are there spiders/bugs in Florida? You betcha! (Full disclosure: I once cancelled a trip due to it being love bug season.) But I have gone many times before and since and been just fine.

So, OK, yes, there are birds in WDW. But you are able to avoid them for the most part. It would be a shame for you to miss out on your vacation because of them. I believe that you can work around them by being aware of where they are in the shows, not carrying any food and eating inside.

Birds are everywhere, let's face it, including WDW. Most of the birds we have seen loose in WDW are pigeons/ducks/seagulls. All ordinary, common birds. I have seen ibis occasionally, but they have never come near me. The only real problem that you will face is that birds are often fed by people (WHY do people DO that? ugh!) and so hang out in the outdoor eating areas. These are located throughout WDW and you will have to pass by them in some instances to get where you are going. BUT, you can simply not go in amongst the tables and just walk on by. It is easy to give them a wide berth. The birds hang out around the tables looking for crumbs/handouts or other opportunities to grab a bite. Large birds like peacocks are not running around, at least not in my experience and I have been to WDW dozens of times. You will be out on the walkways with lots of other people walking along. The birds won't pay you any mind if you aren't a potential food source.

It isn't all that bad. Really.

Please don't stay home because of the birds. You will find that it is quite possible to both avoid and ignore them and have a fantastic time!

Thanks so much guys. This is why disney is the best.. it brings the nicest people.

Ive spoken to my boyfriend and he basically told me its okay if i dont go... he will send me pictures of how nice it is. That is his way of saying dont worry we will work around it. I think i am gojng to be okay. Unfortunately i picked a bad day to post.. work was sucky hence the melodramatic crazy lady post lol.. im going to baby step up to getting over it. Had enough now. So tomorrow im going to go and sit in the mcdonalds seating area and see how that goes... and work my way up to confronting my nemesis the peacock in the isle of wight next year.

I think this might be a good thing all in all..as it is going to force me to confront it and that can only benefit

I think that you will be OK too! You are already learning about the situation and making plans to deal with it all. You've got this! You will have a trip that will give you happy memories that will be with you for a lifetime.

I dislike birds as well. It's the thought of their feathers, beaks and claws touching me. Blech! I definitely know the feeling of anxiety whenever one comes close by. Nothing is worse when you have paid for a nice meal and have to worry about birds. That was what I experienced at Aulani, and we were seated inside. When we were at WDW, I don't remember being too bothered by birds. We were the dining plan, so mainly ate inside . We even walked around with food at Flower and Garden and were not bothered by any birds. I would just eat indoors and not wave huge pieces of food around. If one walks too close for comfort, walk the other way. I don't think you needs to cancel your trip just because of birds.

The tiger trail in AK has a bird house that you walk through at the end. LOTS of birds in there. The Savannah rooms do not have much to do with birds. I think that there might be ostrich but they don't fly and you are about 3 stories up from them on your balcony. There is also a Parrot free flying 'show' at the Tree of Life at Rope drop and at different points of the day as well.

Ok, which trail is this? Seems like something I need to avoid or people will see me crying, screaming, and running as fast as I can through the bird house.

Too bad you can’t be like Guano Joe and be given the opportunity to come to like birds. Man, I miss that show at AK.

Last edited:

Ok, which trail is this? Seems like something I need to avoid or people will see me crying, screaming, and running as fast as I can through the bird house.

Maharajah Jungle Trek

And as for the birds roaming the parks. We did have one of those huge white birds swoop down and steal a hot dog from my sons hands when he was like 4. Don't know if it was because he was small that the bird was so brave. But that was in Frontier land in Magic Kingdom so... careful with the food in that area those birds will take it.

I would like the hotel and savannah room. However; I am terrified of birds. I'm talking frozen solid, crying etc.

IS this going to be a problem.. as I would rather pay more and not be traumatised. I am okay with small birds as long as they are not sitting on me like a robin size max.
Ok, first, the Savannah room is awesome. I don't think they have ground floor Savannah rooms but I could be wrong on that. Every time I have stayed in one it has been a couple floors up. This means that with the height and the animal control devices in place (barriers etc.) you're kept far away from any larger birds.

I don't suppose it would help if you understood how completely you could dominate a bird if the contest ever came up? Like we all watch the fail videos of someone getting pwnd by a swan or goose, and that's fine but the only thing keeping the average human from murdering that bird is a desire to not (at least publicly) harm the wildlife. That and a big bird like that tends to have a psychological advantage. On a purely physical basis even a swan is not going to injure you. Stories of most big birds injuring people are generally caused by the bird getting someone running so that they trip. Big pet birds are an exception if they are poorly socialized and nippy. A Macaw can wreck you pretty bad but you don't come across many.

I don't mean for a second to marginalize your fear. I have my own host of irrational fears and anxieties, and knowing the realities they involve doesn't make them go away; but sometimes it helps me keep them in perspective.

Just tell those pigeons, "You're only living another day because I'm allowing it." Okay, don't say it out loud, they'll put you away. But exploring NYC subway lines taught me one thing, people eat those things and they hunt them with bare hands. Maybe not so terrifying a bird then?

we have gone approx 15 times and my daughter only fell to the ground screaming once. We rarely eat outside and she carries a small umbrella both for rain and for bird protection. She does run almost crying through the aviary at AK when she wants to walk that trail and once near Nemo at Epcot she panicked until I thought of her using the umbrella as a safety zone to separate her from the birds. So that’s a thought if you think it might help you.

I dislike birds as well. It's the thought of their feathers, beaks and claws touching me. Blech! I definitely know the feeling of anxiety whenever one comes close by. Nothing is worse when you have paid for a nice meal and have to worry about birds. That was what I experienced at Aulani, and we were seated inside. When we were at WDW, I don't remember being too bothered by birds. We were the dining plan, so mainly ate inside . We even walked around with food at Flower and Garden and were not bothered by any birds. I would just eat indoors and not wave huge pieces of food around. If one walks too close for comfort, walk the other way. I don't think you needs to cancel your trip just because of birds.

It's part of the jungle trek by the safari. And don't worry, I always run through that section with my head ducked while holding my hubs' arm. May or may not have let out a scream or two before.

Ok, first, the Savannah room is awesome. I don't think they have ground floor Savannah rooms but I could be wrong on that. Every time I have stayed in one it has been a couple floors up. This means that with the height and the animal control devices in place (barriers etc.) you're kept far away from any larger birds.

I don't suppose it would help if you understood how completely you could dominate a bird if the contest ever came up? Like we all watch the fail videos of someone getting pwnd by a swan or goose, and that's fine but the only thing keeping the average human from murdering that bird is a desire to not (at least publicly) harm the wildlife. That and a big bird like that tends to have a psychological advantage. On a purely physical basis even a swan is not going to injure you. Stories of most big birds injuring people are generally caused by the bird getting someone running so that they trip. Big pet birds are an exception if they are poorly socialized and nippy. A Macaw can wreck you pretty bad but you don't come across many.

I don't mean for a second to marginalize your fear. I have my own host of irrational fears and anxieties, and knowing the realities they involve doesn't make them go away; but sometimes it helps me keep them in perspective.

Just tell those pigeons, "You're only living another day because I'm allowing it." Okay, don't say it out loud, they'll put you away. But exploring NYC subway lines taught me one thing, people eat those things and they hunt them with bare hands. Maybe not so terrifying a bird then?
You are correct. There are no ground floor rooms. You are indeed quite far from the birds. All but the natives of course, who can go anywhere they wish.

I know what you mean about irrational fears. I know Haunted Houses are fake. I know the characters in them can't hurt, or even touch me. That doesn't stop me from having an irrational fear when going in them. No matter how much I tell myself it's fake, I freeze once inside.

I've got a kiddo that will never ride the Safari again because of an "ostrich incident". I'll spare you the tale of terror, but that was the end of that ride for her. Forever.

Oh my gosh. I just realized I booked Spirit of Aloha and Spice Road Table. They both appear to be outside. Ugh. We avoid eating outside (esp right near water) whenever possible.

There really are a lot of birds around everywhere. But attempting to eat outdoors will be the biggest challenge IMO.

Do go to get some behavioral therapy, hypnosis, relaxation training, etc... it really does work, and your level of phobia is one of the most treatable. Looking at this practically, it's mainly the food issue and hanging out where there is food thrown down even if you aren't eating. So, eat inside, and don't rest in areas where others are congregating with snacks, popcorn, etc...

Do you react to pictures or movies of birds? There are some rides we can help you avoid if you have a reaction to images of birds as well as the birds themselves (Soarin' in EPCOT for one).

You'll be fine in the savanna room, but I have a funny story. My good friend and I took a quick trip down this past June, and we stayed at a savanna room in Kidani. We were near the end of the savanna view section, and we basically had a fallen-over, dead tree with a few buzzards on it. That was our view. So magical! LOL! We laughed about it a lot.

I'm not scared of birds, but as someone who has had a seagull rip a sandwich practically out of my mouth at the beach here at home, I'm usually on the offensive when eating anywhere that one of the crumb-snatchers could push his advantage!

Mostly you'll see ibises and ducks at the outdoor quick service places, but if you do all of your eating indoors, you really shouldn't have many (or possibly any) close-encounters of the birdy kind. We did see a mama duck leading her ducklings through the heart of the Magic Kingdom hub once. It was clear that was her home and she was showing the little ones the ropes! I think they were waddling their way to Casey's in search of fries and bun. Which is kind of sad, because each generation of birds raised in those parks will become less and less afraid of humans, and will not know how to survive without people tossing french fries and hot dog buns to them. Can't be healthy for them. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter