• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scared of Birds Animal Kingdom

Hi thanks for all the advice.

haha yes we do have birds in the UK.. one of the worst trips I've ever been on was a trip to a Watermill on the low. I work in london so spend my life avoiding scabby horrible pigeons. But they aren't big tbh

We are going to get the deluxe dining package anyway as I have an egg allergy so it's easier to talk to chefs and tbh I rarely eat outside because I just don't like it. My bf who I have been with for 10 years and have known since I was 11 years old thinks it is hilariously funny but will shoo them away....

I am ok with ducks and all birds at a distance.. I just hate the flapping and the anticipation of flapping.. and luckily I can obviously skip the UK pavilion if need be.

if they are pigeons size, seagull size then I think I can deal with my normal coping mechanisms.. might speak to my naturopath and gp and see about anxiety meds etc

it's the trip of a lifetime.. and it is just something in life that I will have to deal with. Thanks for your help everyone.

Hi thanks for all the advice.

haha yes we do have birds in the UK.. one of the worst trips I've ever been on was a trip to a Watermill on the low. I work in london so spend my life avoiding scabby horrible pigeons. But they aren't big tbh

We are going to get the deluxe dining package anyway as I have an egg allergy so it's easier to talk to chefs and tbh I rarely eat outside because I just don't like it. My bf who I have been with for 10 years and have known since I was 11 years old thinks it is hilariously funny but will shoo them away....

I am ok with ducks and all birds at a distance.. I just hate the flapping and the anticipation of flapping.. and luckily I can obviously skip the UK pavilion if need be.

if they are pigeons size, seagull size then I think I can deal with my normal coping mechanisms.. might speak to my naturopath and gp and see about anxiety meds etc

it's the trip of a lifetime.. and it is just something in life that I will have to deal with. Thanks for your help everyone.
You will need this to do this for sure, if it's as severe as your posts indicate. There is no one area where they have more native birds than others. You can't avoid any one pavilion at Epcot either. You have to walk through one to get to another. But seeing how the birds are at all of them, and all over, every park, you'll need to be prepared. They are bigger than pigeons too. Ducks are the smallest of all the birds that are around. The main issue is, they won't be at a distance. They aren't afraid of people enough to stay at a distance. They can be right under your feet and I've never had a trip where they didn't fly near enough to feel the breeze from their wings. Better to have the meds with you than not and find you will need them.

giphy.gif

Another spot you will definitely want to avoid is the wooden bridge that runs from Liberty Square along the Rivers of America into Frontierland. I seem to almost always encounter lots of the large birds that swoop past your head looking to steal a turkey leg from someone's hand when I walk across that bridge and once you are on it, it is not easy to get off and get away from them.

Great article! Ibis in particular are so common to see. You know it’s about to rain when you see them all in the trees! Looks like cotton trees! But they make no mention of all the ducks around. These other birds stay away from people, but those ducks, sheesh. And I almost got dive bombed by the seagulls going to the outdoor seating terrace at Cosmic Rays.
I guess as others said, avoid outside eating areas. But encountering ducks especially is unavoidable.

Our last trip to EPCOT, there was a duck that practically jumped into a man's lap trying to get his food. I had an Ibis keep biting my shoelaces when we were sitting in World Showcase and all I had was a lemonade slush. It's not even like I had food for him, but I was sitting in what he deemed a "food spot" and didn't appreciate that I didn't give him anything.

So yes, be prepared for aggressive birds in the parks.

Great article! Ibis in particular are so common to see. You know it’s about to rain when you see them all in the trees! Looks like cotton trees! But they make no mention of all the ducks around. These other birds stay away from people, but those ducks, sheesh. And I almost got dive bombed by the seagulls going to the outdoor seating terrace at Cosmic Rays.
I guess as others said, avoid outside eating areas. But encountering ducks especially is unavoidable.
You'll also catch the Ibis stalking lizards among the foilage. It's fun to watch their "dance" before they strike to grab prey. But not fun to watch kids reactions when they stop to watch the dance but then are appalled at what the bird was actually up to.

Our last trip to EPCOT, there was a duck that practically jumped into a man's lap trying to get his food. I had an Ibis keep biting my shoelaces when we were sitting in World Showcase and all I had was a lemonade slush. It's not even like I had food for him, but I was sitting in what he deemed a "food spot" and didn't appreciate that I didn't give him anything.

So yes, be prepared for aggressive birds in the parks.
On one of our first trips years ago, while seated to eat the UK, I watched as one of the seagulls swooped down and grab fish right out of a lady's hand just as she was putting the food in her mouth

How do you feel about bats? There's a walk-in area in Animal Kingdom that has huge bats (though I think the bats are separated from the people somehow?). I don't know what it's called but if it's the flapping of wings you don't like you may also want to avoid the bat area...

Maybe the seagull was just trying to give her the authentic british fish and chip experience. Its happened to all of us on some dark miserable windy april bank holiday.

Also, from what you guys are saying it seems to be that food is the common denominator in this. I have contacted the NHS to see if i can get some Congitive Behaviourable Therapy / hypnotherapy and if that doesnt work then i will have to consider cutting my losses and not go.. it is incredibly disappointing as I am a huge disney fan and would really love to go.. and I am 90 percent sure my bf has been waiting to pop the q.. but its going to cost £8000+ (with extra gifts etc) and its such a huge amount of money to go down the toilet If I cant enjoy it.

.. but my first post was only actually partially accurate - i get really scared, cry and stuff and freeze for the first few times and then i just get jumpy and skitty... so not perfect but.. Its like the shock has worn off ..almost. There are definatly people wtih bigger fears than mine. Pigeons i just walk round and ducks - the crying and stuff is big birds and peacocks- peacocks are the worst becasue they are what kicked this whole issue off in the first place when i was little. I'd be absolutely fine/ just have to deal with it if there was a high chance that a bird was only going to fly at me a couple of times or just walk near me a few times in a day .. but i now have this hitchcock image in my head of everytime i walk out of the resort 1000 birds are going to flock me to steal a sandwich or something ..

i dont know im just kinda really sad now.. i am glad i posted because it would of been so much worse not knowing but as we have been saving to buy a house we have never had the chance to go and i dont know- you dont see any pics with loads of birds when you look it up.. so wasnt expecting it. Just want to cry a little tbh. Maybe it is what i need to do to finally get over it - but i struggle going abroad cos of egg allergy (ironic i know) and WDW seemed so unbelievably perfect..

Thanks for the help everyone .. i think that i will go home and speak to my bf about it and see what he thinks. Then we can think through some options.

You'll also catch the Ibis stalking lizards among the foilage. It's fun to watch their "dance" before they strike to grab prey. But not fun to watch kids reactions when they stop to watch the dance but then are appalled at what the bird was actually up to.

On one of our first trips years ago, while seated to eat the UK, I watched as one of the seagulls swooped down and grab fish right out of a lady's hand just as she was putting the food in her mouth
Yes! We were watching one in the foliage at GF. The bird was so still. Then with lightening speed he grabbed a lizard! Wasn’t expecting it lol!

Maybe the seagull was just trying to give her the authentic british fish and chip experience. Its happened to all of us on some dark miserable windy april bank holiday.

Also, from what you guys are saying it seems to be that food is the common denominator in this. I have contacted the NHS to see if i can get some Congitive Behaviourable Therapy / hypnotherapy and if that doesnt work then i will have to consider cutting my losses and not go.. it is incredibly disappointing as I am a huge disney fan and would really love to go.. and I am 90 percent sure my bf has been waiting to pop the q.. but its going to cost £8000+ (with extra gifts etc) and its such a huge amount of money to go down the toilet If I cant enjoy it.

.. but my first post was only actually partially accurate - i get really scared, cry and stuff and freeze for the first few times and then i just get jumpy and skitty... so not perfect but.. Its like the shock has worn off ..almost. There are definatly people wtih bigger fears than mine. Pigeons i just walk round and ducks - the crying and stuff is big birds and peacocks- peacocks are the worst becasue they are what kicked this whole issue off in the first place when i was little. I'd be absolutely fine/ just have to deal with it if there was a high chance that a bird was only going to fly at me a couple of times or just walk near me a few times in a day .. but i now have this hitchcock image in my head of everytime i walk out of the resort 1000 birds are going to flock me to steal a sandwich or something ..

i dont know im just kinda really sad now.. i am glad i posted because it would of been so much worse not knowing but as we have been saving to buy a house we have never had the chance to go and i dont know- you dont see any pics with loads of birds when you look it up.. so wasnt expecting it. Just want to cry a little tbh. Maybe it is what i need to do to finally get over it - but i struggle going abroad cos of egg allergy (ironic i know) and WDW seemed so unbelievably perfect..

Thanks for the help everyone .. i think that i will go home and speak to my bf about it and see what he thinks. Then we can think through some options.
I’m so sorry. But some bird interactions can be avoided by eating inside and not walking with food. Don’t do the trails at AK. Or Safari if ostrich’s bother you. Don’t do bird show. Yes, you can walk around ducks at the parks. My (adult) daughter does. Just deal with birds as you would at home.

Oh, I hope you don't cancel the trip. With this additional info it sounds like you'll be able to deal with them at WDW, now that you'll know what to expect.
You are right, a lot of it is due to food. So you'll avoid direct interaction by not having food in hand while out and about. That won't stop others of course, and with crowds at WDW, those others can be quite close to you, which will in turn, bring the birds closer to you than you may like. And the numbers are small for sure. 1, 2 birds at once. Not even double digits, much less triple or quadrable.

oh man, I feel so bad for you!!!

If it helps, the only close encounters with birds we've had are the ducks that walk up to us on the beach and I've been to WDW 7 times. Believe me, I would remember if a bird took food out of my hands! It happens I'm sure, but not all the time.

What if you don't eat outside, don't walk with food (besides drinks :) ), and avoid the attractions with birds?

Ducks come by the pools too, but you can stay away from them pretty easily.

I hope you can find a way to still go. :(

Thanks so much guys. This is why disney is the best.. it brings the nicest people.

Ive spoken to my boyfriend and he basically told me its okay if i dont go... he will send me pictures of how nice it is. That is his way of saying dont worry we will work around it. I think i am gojng to be okay. Unfortunately i picked a bad day to post.. work was sucky hence the melodramatic crazy lady post lol.. im going to baby step up to getting over it. Had enough now. So tomorrow im going to go and sit in the mcdonalds seating area and see how that goes... and work my way up to confronting my nemesis the peacock in the isle of wight next year.

I think this might be a good thing all in all..as it is going to force me to confront it and that can only benefit

I would not cancel. As said above, you can mitigate the bird interactions. It is not as bad as you imagine. Yes there are birds, but they are not darkening the skies. Our last trip, the only close interaction we had with birds were the ducks and while yes, they will fly around time to time, most of the time they are just running around. You need to go to Disney if you are as big of a fan as it sounds.

Please don't cancel your trip over the birds. I promise you they aren't like the Hitchcock movie. There are birds native to Florida that visit the parks but they aren't in huge flocks. Yes it is true that many of the birds aren't afraid to come up and steal a bite of food, but that is easily avoided by not carrying around food or eating food outdoors. It also doesn't mean that they are going to swoop in on you the second you walk outside and take your food and be aggressive towards you. I don't particularly care for birds myself but I have never felt threatened or afraid by them while at Disney. We have walked around with popcorn and have never had a problem with birds coming after us. We aren't big outdoor eaters (I prefer to be inside where I can cool off a little bit and enjoy the A/C) but the few times we have eaten outside we have been able to enjoy our food. Just be aware of your surroundings. When you are there, you will see where the birds tend to be and you can avoid it. The parks are not overrun with birds. Do not let your fear of birds make your imagination run wild and possibly ruin a once in a lifetime trip.

Don't cancel! Yes there will be birds, but you got this. You already have some ideas on how to minimize the possibility of interaction. Maybe it would also help to look up common birds found in Orlando, maybe it will help to look at photos of them ahead of time? So it won't all be a total surprise? And lastly, perhaps a low grade anti anxiety med might help take the edge off?

Thanks so much guys. This is why disney is the best.. it brings the nicest people.

Ive spoken to my boyfriend and he basically told me its okay if i dont go... he will send me pictures of how nice it is. That is his way of saying dont worry we will work around it. I think i am gojng to be okay. Unfortunately i picked a bad day to post.. work was sucky hence the melodramatic crazy lady post lol.. im going to baby step up to getting over it. Had enough now. So tomorrow im going to go and sit in the mcdonalds seating area and see how that goes... and work my way up to confronting my nemesis the peacock in the isle of wight next year.

I think this might be a good thing all in all..as it is going to force me to confront it and that can only benefit

Yes!!! Great attitude!!!

You are going to go and have an awesome trip, I know it. :)

Something else that shouldn't be discounted, you are going to be so enamoured of the sights and sounds of regular park activity that you may well find you don't even notice half the birds. It's nothing like sitting at home, in familiar surroundings where you are more tuned in to what's right there by you. Disney is a full-on sensory attack (in a good way). Your mind will be very occupied with other things.

After this happened to my wife and daughter we took a year off from Disney. Don't go the Haunted Mansion around sunset:

giphy.gif

Make sure you don't go on the Avatar Flight of Passage ride at the Animal Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter