Sept 17-30 incentives - speculation

Yes, but if you sell any of them and go below the threshold, you lose them and would only qualify again for whatever the new minimum is,

So, I would suggest one at 100 and the rest smaller, Now, last year there was a report or two that for a new member, the smalleSt they’d go is 100 as that was the minimum for RIV. That may not still be the case though.
First, to be clear add-on-itis hasn't bit me hard enough to buy 200 direct (especially since the benefits are minimal even when they are all being honored). That said I would lean more toward CCV, OKW or maybe AKL because they offer better resale due to no restrictions and I can't get passed those point charts.

Second, you say new member minimum was 100. Do you mean new member or new to direct member? Or are you saying the smallest they will break a contract to is 100 now?

A few things there. First people here on Disboard are for the most part pro resale purchase. So we look at resale value very hard and many of us think (although no real proof to back this up yet) that resale value for RIV is going to be very bad (some think sub $100 to maybe lower etc). Thus since resale is so prevalent here we most likely view the resale restriction much harder than the average DVC direct buyer. I was the same as you and we bought into DVC at first not even understanding or thinking about resale, so our cost was a true sunk cost. Since then we have added on one resale contract and I am in ROFR for another, but I would do direct again if the cost delta was not huge.
Your second point to me is much more valid about the downsides of RIV. the fees are crazy high but you can maybe talk yourself into that, but the points chart makes no sense to me. Of course as we have seen point requirements for newer DVC rooms have been creeping up over time. And to an extent some make sense (ie I think VGF can demand a premium over SSR in points needed, it is a superior resort in almost every way). But RIV is not really in the same prestige league as VGF, and I equate it to a tad bit less than BLT (you can argue this depending on if you really like MK or if you are more of an Epcot/DHS fan). And for a 1BD at RIV to be 10% or so more in points than a 1BD MK view at BLT is insane to me. So what does RIV really have going for it? It is a nice resort, with very high point demand, high buy in right now (direct versus resale at BLT etc), and fees that are substantially higher than other on site resorts. I just think its a tough sell. The current incentives are just low enough that I looked into it, but once I started weighing point chart, dues, resale restrictions etc I quickly took it off of my list.
Agree with all of this except I do think Riviera is as nice as VGF, maybe nicer. But I’d never buy VGF because of the points chart either. Just not worth it to me.

First, to be clear add-on-itis hasn't bit me hard enough to buy 200 direct (especially since the benefits are minimal even when they are all being honored). That said I would lean more toward CCV, OKW or maybe AKL because they offer better resale due to no restrictions and I can't get passed those point charts.

Second, you say new member minimum was 100. Do you mean new member or new to direct member? Or are you saying the smallest they will break a contract to is 100 now?

I am a new, first time DVC owner, having just recently purchased direct at CCV at the end of July. During the initial discussions with the sales rep, he indicated to me that the minimum 1st contract they would do for a new member for that resort was 75 pts. and that after that 1st contract, I could break it up as small as 25 pts if I can recall correctly. I had initially wanted to go with 3x 60 point contracts for a total of 180 pts. I ended up doing 2x 100 pt contracts, considering the incentives.

I also recall him indicating that the minimum 1st contract at RR would be 100 pt. for a new member.

New owner whose getting their first set of points direct from Disney. It was noted that one must buy 100 points if buying RIV or CCV.

Now, that was last fall when I saw it so I don’t know if they will sell anyone whose new less at other resorts,

Current owners have always been able to add on at 25 cash or 50 financed...but I believe CCV and RIV are minimum of 50.

Of course, still need to get to 100 for blue card, regardless of whether you are a new or current owner.

New owner whose getting their first set of points direct from Disney. It was noted that one must buy 100 points if buying RIV or CCV.

Now, that was last fall when I saw it so I don’t know if they will sell anyone whose new less at other resorts,

Current owners have always been able to add on at 25 cash or 50 financed...but I believe CCV and RIV are minimum of 50.

Of course, still need to get to 100 for blue card, regardless of whether you are a new or current owner.

The minimum add on was still 25, no change (yet).

Agree with all of this except I do think Riviera is as nice as VGF, maybe nicer. But I’d never buy VGF because of the points chart either. Just not worth it to me.
My quick DVC review
Riviera

Pros:
Longest contract
Skyliner
Murphy bed
Quality rooms
Access to 2 parks
Theming/Artwork
Toppolinos

Cons
Cramped lobby
Limited local dining
Points chart
Limited standard studios
Dues cost
Location next to moderate
RESALE CONTRACT RESTRICTION

Rental review 6/10
Owner review 3/10

VGF

Pros:
Separate DVC lobby
STD view can include Monorail view
Access to multiple dining experiences

Cons
Points chart
Buy in price
Perceived as snooty

Rental review 7/10
Owner review 6/10

Yeah, I'll use sleep around points for VGF just to go, but I also don't think I would buy in there. Points chart is too rich for my blood to go too many times. I also only really book anywhere 7 months out (even my home resorts) so buying at a specific resort means a lot less to me than it means to others. My goal is just buying the best value for SAP and just trying different resorts depending on what's open at 7 months.

My quick DVC review

To me restaurants/food is not in the same realm when RIV has a single prime dining location and its a character meal for part of the day. Flip side you have GF which has Citricos, Narcoossee, Victoria & Alberts, plus a Character Dining (with unique characters) at 1900, Tea Room, plus a bunch of lounges.

Yeah, I'll use sleep around points for VGF just to go, but I also don't think I would buy in there. Points chart is too rich for my blood to go too many times. I also only really book anywhere 7 months out (even my home resorts) so buying at a specific resort means a lot less to me than it means to others. My goal is just buying the best value for SAP and just trying different resorts depending on what's open at 7 months.

Which is why if I bought in to the idea of RIV being cheaper on MFs in the long run I would likely just buy there and use RIV as SAP points. RIV is a pretty good fallback option and instead of a 10 day trip drop it to 7-8 days on the off chance you can't find another resort to land at.

A few things there. First people here on Disboard are for the most part pro resale purchase. So we look at resale value very hard and many of us think (although no real proof to back this up yet) that resale value for RIV is going to be very bad (some think sub $100 to maybe lower etc). Thus since resale is so prevalent here we most likely view the resale restriction much harder than the average DVC direct buyer. I was the same as you and we bought into DVC at first not even understanding or thinking about resale, so our cost was a true sunk cost. Since then we have added on one resale contract and I am in ROFR for another, but I would do direct again if the cost delta was not huge.
Your second point to me is much more valid about the downsides of RIV. the fees are crazy high but you can maybe talk yourself into that, but the points chart makes no sense to me. Of course as we have seen point requirements for newer DVC rooms have been creeping up over time. And to an extent some make sense (ie I think VGF can demand a premium over SSR in points needed, it is a superior resort in almost every way). But RIV is not really in the same prestige league as VGF, and I equate it to a tad bit less than BLT (you can argue this depending on if you really like MK or if you are more of an Epcot/DHS fan). And for a 1BD at RIV to be 10% or so more in points than a 1BD MK view at BLT is insane to me. So what does RIV really have going for it? It is a nice resort, with very high point demand, high buy in right now (direct versus resale at BLT etc), and fees that are substantially higher than other on site resorts. I just think its a tough sell. The current incentives are just low enough that I looked into it, but once I started weighing point chart, dues, resale restrictions etc I quickly took it off of my list.

I think Riviera rooms are much nicer than VGF. In fact, I see both resorts completely on the same level, both are elegant. I also see very little difference between riding a monorail vs a skyliner. What does it have going for it? A higher end DVC resort with non-bus transportation to two parks. I look at points charts the same way I do cash. Do I pay more for a nicer hotel room? Sure. That's what I am getting.

I think I am a disboards contrarian but the high points chart, at least for standard view, doesn't bother me so much. Yes, the point chart for BWV is substantially lower but I find those rooms vile and I would never choose to stay there. If I am flying 24 hours annually to be at WDW I am less concerned about monetary value and more concerned about enjoying my precious vacation time. That is how I perceive the value: looking forward to going back to my favourite home resorts year after year.

I also see very little difference between riding a monorail vs a skyliner.

Does the monorail shutdown for lightning and wind? I am not sure as I haven't been on the monorail much. You do have a boat and soon a walking path from VGF to MK though as well.

Thats one of the pieces recently that has me thinking on Riviera.

Does the monorail shutdown for lightning and wind? I am not sure as I haven't been on the monorail much. You do have a boat and soon a walking path from VGF to MK though as well.

Thats one of the pieces recently that has me thinking on Riviera.

The boat is tiny and takes forever, often with substantial waits and the monorail constantly breaks.

“high points chart .....doesn't bother me...... “I am less concerned about monetary value”
You sound like exactly the person Disney wants to sell to
I’m the opposite, I want value for my purchase. The world is full of differences, I just couldn’t think like you
Fair play to you

Last edited:
The boat is tiny and takes forever, often with substantial waits, and the monorail constantly breaks.

I mean skyliner has had issues which are hopefully behind it but it also was shut for a long time because of COVID19. So we are not getting the full story yet on what its like.

In general Rivera is still so new we don't know what the perception will be in 10 years time.

I would likely stay at Rivera over VGF if made to choose simply because of access to Epcot/HS but most people prefer MK to those parks (based on attendance numbers).

Right. It must be awful for someone to enjoy their valuable annual leave and purchase of their timeshare ;)
Your defence of RIV is a bit OTT, calling BWV rooms vile? Comparing to VGF?!
RIV would love to have the same DIS fan devotion as those 2 resorts

I would likely stay at Rivera over VGF if made to choose simply because of access to Epcot/HS but most people prefer MK to those parks (based on attendance numbers).
Yeah I think the general location of Riviera is substantially superior to VGF, the monorail is secretly bad and getting from MK to GF (Or GF to Epcot) takes forever. Riviera is also right in the middle of the 4 parks, where GF is quite far from AK.

But if the Skyliner is down it’s location becomes the same as OKW or SSR.

I think Riviera rooms are much nicer than VGF. In fact, I see both resorts completely on the same level, both are elegant. I also see very little difference between riding a monorail vs a skyliner. What does it have going for it? A higher end DVC resort with non-bus transportation to two parks. I look at points charts the same way I do cash. Do I pay more for a nicer hotel room? Sure. That's what I am getting.

I think I am a disboards contrarian but the high points chart, at least for standard view, doesn't bother me so much. Yes, the point chart for BWV is substantially lower but I find those rooms vile and I would never choose to stay there. If I am flying 24 hours annually to be at WDW I am less concerned about monetary value and more concerned about enjoying my precious vacation time. That is how I perceive the value: looking forward to going back to my favourite home resorts year after year.

I agree with this 1000%. EPCOT is my favorite park but I do not like the boardwalk hotels. The rooms are boring, the BWV pool is creepy, and the BCV pool is always extremely crowded. We drive when we go and the parking situation is awful. There should be an extra Skyliner route that connects the lobby to the parking lot.

Some resorts command more points because they are nicer. I have not stayed at RIV yet so I cannot compare to VGF. But when we drove by RIV a few weeks ago, my family made me slow down the car so they could see it. It's beautiful. I don't care about the extra $200 per year we will pay in MFs. The kids definitely won't either.

Your defence of RIV is a bit OTT, calling BWV rooms vile? Comparing to VGF?!
RIV would love to have the same DIS fan devotion as those 2 resorts

I find them vile. I choose not to stay there. Other people love it and that's wonderful.

Simply because someone has a different taste doesn't make them wrong. If you love BWV and it has many wonderful memories for you, then that's the right resort for you and I think that's fantastic. This applies for any resort. I hate BWV but my subjective opinion has no impost on your enjoyment and nor should it. It also isn't some type of competition. Every resort has its dedicated fans understandably: thats why people buy.

There is no universal or objective benchmark. Buying Riviera works for a particular market and particular taste. Talking about the resort in black and white terms is unproductive which is why I commented. Owners buying there have valid reasons, not least of all because they like it. Why would I buy somewhere I dont want to be because it has the best financial value? I won't enjoy it remotely. Its interesting when a Riviera owner expresses their rather innocuous opinion after the resort being criticised for months it results in a comment of being OTT. Hmm. And I absolutely think Riviera is on the same level as VGF. Thats why I own both.

Last edited:
I heard the same thing from an agent on Tuesday.
However, he also told me that I wouldn't be able to access the Top of the World Lounge if I bought resale... which others here have pointed out is not true.

Maybe it was a different agent who's not as experienced? I've seen other DVC workers who were also misinformed. My agent hasn't been wrong yet, but as I said previously, I don't see a reason for him to lie since I've already purchased a contract. I sent an email this morning more as a curiosity if he's heard anything regarding new discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter