Seriously, how do you all afford these trips?

. Then last Jan we went to Sydney for 4 days and it came to nearly 2.5k. Now that is one crazy expensive place to eat and stay. It was after that trip that I vowed not to travel domestically and would try to save for a bit longer and do an O/S trip.
you seen how much accommodation in Canberra is??. :scared1:

Yes Sydney is expensive but at least there is a lot to do in the one area so you really get bang for your buck.

All of Australia is expensive but at least with the over supply in qld you can get a good special if you look.

You don't in Canberra. :rolleyes1 I think it is the most overpriced of all.

Actually you are probably right about the accom. In hindsight I was thinking more of dining around the touristy areas, that kind of thing.

Not sure about prices in Canberra. I don't get out much :lmao:

OK - perhaps I should be multi-quoting but I couldn't be bothered
here at work our accommodation allowance for Sydney is lower than Brisbane and Canberra :confused3 go figure.

Ms Shuttergirl - I used to think about Uluru like you - I always thought there would be nothing there - hot dusty nothing to do. I was really really surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Lots of great wildlife, plants, indigenous culture, rock stories, Kata Juta is right there and the walks through there are fantastic. The Voyager accommodation area is really great. be prepared to give it a 2nd chance

so holidays - ummmm - I suppose I'm one of those who go every year. So I have no kids. I have a good job. I haven't planned on going but every year the discount has gotten better than the previous year! I admit - rather than saving the savings I just upgrade the trip! e.g. This coming trip started with the cheap Dallas fare - instead of sitting in economy I upgraded to PE.
I admit that I am not doing somethings that perhaps are financially more sensible to do - like preparing for my retirement! I am going to have to stop at some point - although I am planning a big trip for 2014 and trying to get all my Zonta friends to go:banana::lmao:
I have started my 2014 planning already: http://mrsbanksgoestoconvention.blogspot.com/

OK - perhaps I should be multi-quoting but I couldn't be bothered
here at work our accommodation allowance for Sydney is lower than Brisbane and Canberra :confused3 go figure.

Ms Shuttergirl - I used to think about Uluru like you - I always thought there would be nothing there - hot dusty nothing to do. I was really really surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Lots of great wildlife, plants, indigenous culture, rock stories, Kata Juta is right there and the walks through there are fantastic. The Voyager accommodation area is really great. be prepared to give it a 2nd chance

so holidays - ummmm - I suppose I'm one of those who go every year. So I have no kids. I have a good job. I haven't planned on going but every year the discount has gotten better than the previous year! I admit - rather than saving the savings I just upgrade the trip! e.g. This coming trip started with the cheap Dallas fare - instead of sitting in economy I upgraded to PE.
I admit that I am not doing somethings that perhaps are financially more sensible to do - like preparing for my retirement! I am going to have to stop at some point - although I am planning a big trip for 2014 and trying to get all my Zonta friends to go:banana::lmao:
I have started my 2014 planning already: http://mrsbanksgoestoconvention.blogspot.com/

Learning more about indigenous culture would be the only thing that would get me there. It's something I would love to know more about, I would love my children to hear their stories and visit the area.

I just hate heat and dust and so does my DH bwahahahaha

Learning more about indigenous culture would be the only thing that would get me there. It's something I would love to know more about, I would love my children to hear their stories and visit the area.

I just hate heat and dust and so does my DH bwahahahaha

Hey - I hear you! not everything is for everyone. I'm just letting you know how my perceptions were changed! And besides - there are HEAPS of other great places I will never get to (cause I keep returning annually to disney)

It was more a "general" question and conversation.

Although, we could point fingers at Shushh and PIO :rotfl2::rotfl2:.

They are my travelling :worship: heroes.

:scared1: OMG! Singled out!

And I think we've had this conversation before....:rolleyes:

My travelling has been done over a 25 year period, which is why I've finally had to step up to celebrating the 30th birthday (anniversary) at the last birthday. Couldn't keep saying I was celebrating my 21st birthday (anniversary) any more...:rolleyes1

The last 10 years, I've been really lucky. DH's job is based in Silicon Valley but we choose to live here.

He travels at least twice to four times a year and DS and I have been making the most of the opportunity. Plus until the last 18 months, the company policy was to travel Qantas. So, the Frequent Flyer points piled up and after about 4 or 5 trips, there was enough points for a free tix.

We've always tried to combine a bit of business with pleasure; but not too often because we don't want to abuse the work tolerance, for DH. We've added on 3 or 4 weeks to his work trips twice or three times in the last 10 years and used San Francisco as a launching pad for seeing another quadrant of the US. It's worked pretty well for us.
Othertimes, DH has gone for work; and DS and I have just gone to San Francisco to just hang out there, which is why I know the city and the Silicon Valley area pretty well. Afterall, when you don't have accommodation and car hire to worry about, one ticket paid for work, another by FF and only one ticket to spring for, it is a completely different equation. Wouldn't you capitalise on the situation too?

The last 12 months was an anomaly where we planned a family vacay at the World in May 2010. We didn't even have a work trip to plan around....

And then we came back and found out that DH had to go to Coronado Springs Resort for a 3 day conference, plus 2 days at SF. I couldn't work out babysitting for DS fast enough for that Oct 2010 trip!

And DH had to go back to San Francisco for work in Jan 2011. It was school holidays and I needed to take the time off to look after DS anyway. We just decided to add 5 days to the start of the work trip and ended up with 10 days in California.

I'd go back to Europe in a heartbeat...but when the US opportunities come our way, we never say no....unless finances are such that we decide not to.

Yes, I'm lucky...but I'm also a good saver. We're a pretty boring family in real life and stay home a lot. We don't have many other vices; other than travelling (except I seem to have picked up photography last year)...and we also like cheap eats.

I also change money into US$ every 2 or 3 months depending on the exchange rate because we know that DH could use it on a trip sometime. Invariable I end up with spending money already saved up that we don't need to find at the last minute, which helps with the decision making question of to go or not to go.

princess::upsidedow

I've caught the Disney/travel bug...

My family went to California early 2011 after my siblings and myself had bugged our parents to go to Disneyland. I hadn't been overseas since I was about 4 years old (I was 18 on the latest trip) and that was to America.

We were lucky I guess that my parents could afford the trip without drastic savings needed, though it was said that it would be a 'once in a lifetime trip' and not to expect annual trips to CA. We used to travel to Queensland probably once every 18 months (from Victoria) and do the theme parks there, but nothing can top Disneyland now that we've gone. A few health related incidents to people we knew also made my parents realise they won't be able to take their children on holidays forever.

Travel around Australia can be expensive but, like any travel, you just need to look for good bargains. Domestic air flights are becoming cheaper, but you need to pay for more 'add ons' which used to be included.

I was a tight-*** whilst at Disney. I would turn down opportunities to purchase souvenirs, shared meals with my sister or whatever. I felt bad because I knew how much everything was costing my parents. Now though, I am planning on returning in early 2012 - not sure if that'll actually happen as my savings account is looking VERY sad right now with little income but hopefully that'll change. Disney is something I want to share with my boyfriend but being a student this may have to wait a few more years.

Good for you..... hope your dreams come true and you can afford your trip Single income no kids " go for it "

:scared1: OMG! Singled out!

And I think we've had this conversation before....:rolleyes:

My travelling has been done over a 25 year period, which is why I've finally had to step up to celebrating the 30th birthday (anniversary) at the last birthday. Couldn't keep saying I was celebrating my 21st birthday (anniversary) any more...:rolleyes1

The last 10 years, I've been really lucky. DH's job is based in Silicon Valley but we choose to live here.

He travels at least twice to four times a year and DS and I have been making the most of the opportunity. Plus until the last 18 months, the company policy was to travel Qantas. So, the Frequent Flyer points piled up and after about 4 or 5 trips, there was enough points for a free tix.

We've always tried to combine a bit of business with pleasure; but not too often because we don't want to abuse the work tolerance, for DH. We've added on 3 or 4 weeks to his work trips twice or three times in the last 10 years and used San Francisco as a launching pad for seeing another quadrant of the US. It's worked pretty well for us.
Othertimes, DH has gone for work; and DS and I have just gone to San Francisco to just hang out there, which is why I know the city and the Silicon Valley area pretty well. Afterall, when you don't have accommodation and car hire to worry about, one ticket paid for work, another by FF and only one ticket to spring for, it is a completely different equation. Wouldn't you capitalise on the situation too?

The last 12 months was an anomaly where we planned a family vacay at the World in May 2010. We didn't even have a work trip to plan around....

And then we came back and found out that DH had to go to Coronado Springs Resort for a 3 day conference, plus 2 days at SF. I couldn't work out babysitting for DS fast enough for that Oct 2010 trip!

And DH had to go back to San Francisco for work in Jan 2011. It was school holidays and I needed to take the time off to look after DS anyway. We just decided to add 5 days to the start of the work trip and ended up with 10 days in California.

I'd go back to Europe in a heartbeat...but when the US opportunities come our way, we never say no....unless finances are such that we decide not to.

Yes, I'm lucky...but I'm also a good saver. We're a pretty boring family in real life and stay home a lot. We don't have many other vices; other than travelling (except I seem to have picked up photography last year)...and we also like cheap eats.

I also change money into US$ every 2 or 3 months depending on the exchange rate because we know that DH could use it on a trip sometime. Invariable I end up with spending money already saved up that we don't need to find at the last minute, which helps with the decision making question of to go or not to go.

princess::upsidedow

PIO, I hope you know I was just teasing. I know that many of your trips recently have been based around your husbands work and unexpectedly opportunities. You bet if it was me I would be taking advantage of every opportunity that came my way. I'm thrilled for you and your family and think your son is very blessed to be seeing so many amazing things.

Again, I hope you know I was only being silly. I didn't mean to imply anything other than how envious I am. You deserve each and every trip.

PIO, I hope you know I was just teasing. I know that many of your trips recently have been based around your husbands work and unexpectedly opportunities. You bet if it was me I would be taking advantage of every opportunity that came my way. I'm thrilled for you and your family and think your son is very blessed to be seeing so many amazing things.

Again, I hope you know I was only being silly. I didn't mean to imply anything other than how envious I am. You deserve each and every trip.

If I recall correctly, you said nearly the same sentiments the other time too.....:laughing:

Yes, I didn't read anything more than teasing (as we always do between us) in your comment.

You have a steel trap for a memory :lmao:. I don't remember the previous conversation but apologise again she says as she scurries away with her tail between her legs:rolleyes1

You have a steel trap for a memory :lmao:. I don't remember the previous conversation but apologise again she says as she scurries away with her tail between her legs:rolleyes1

I have an swiss cheese elephant memory. When I remember something, it's really solid. But like swiss cheese, there are HUGE holes in my memory. :lmao:

For us, this will be the culmination of 18months of planning and saving.

Wouldnt it be boring to have all the money in the world and just decide "we want to go to WDW" head down to flight centre (or the like) and next month youre off!

I think you would miss so much not researching and planning, and meeting lovely peeps on the net.

Our planning started after spending last easter at the Gold Coast, our kids were 12 & 14 and we had such a great time and we thought they were the perfect age. Unfortunately when it takes two years to plan and save for the trip the kids are two years older and I have been worried that they may be too old for Disney. We did discuss it and they assure me they are just as excited to go as I am.

I have a detailed spreadsheet of what we are spending, I have included our ETSA fee, travel insurance, tickets for Cirque Du Soleil, Kennedy ,and Universal, hire car and taxi fare estimates, just about everything I can think of, and I am up to $22k -I dont think that is too bad to take a family of 5 (adults)to WDW, 8nights, a Carribean cruise 7nights (2 balcony cabins), NYC 4nights, and Hard Rock Hotel 4nights -We have free dining and food is included in our cruise, so I dont expect we will need too much spending money. (shopping at the malls is a different budget)

I never dared dream we would be taking such a trip, I really thought it was out of our budget, I thought just a trip to DL would cost $30k. I have to say the exchange rate has helped, we wouldnt be going if it were costing twice as much.

As much as I would have loved to take the children when they were younger I am sort of looking forward to when we can travel without them. (or when they pay for themselves:laughing::laughing:)

Then I think we will go every year!

I was only away for 2 days and I came back to this! Eeek!!!:scared1: Have I discussed this before?!?!? I must have. Surely...

Yes we are guilty of going overseas regularly. The key to this is rather boring. DH has a very good wage. Hasn't always been so, but for the last 5 years, life has been good, particularly the last 2 with the phenomenal exchange rate! It would be pointless to deny that money does help, especially when you have to pay for 5 airfares.

Having said that, we live to travel. We don't buy a lot of things and we live simply eg I don't have a smart phone, Queenie can verify this! We don't even have a flat screen TV (Yes we own one of those big, fat, old TVs), we don't own a DVD player, we don't have pay TV. Until recently, we drove a 20 year old station wagon, and we only changed over because someone smacked into it so hard that it was a write off. We don't smoke, don't drink, I don't wear make-up. The list goes on! And thus the money adds up. When I go out, and I am tempted to buy something, I think of what that money would get me overseas. Eg, a coffee would be 1 ATM withdrawal fee. Sad I know, but it works. It doesn't mean that we don't indulge ourselves when needed, and I know that it is luxury to be able to do that. But everything we save goes towards a better experience when we travel. And I TRY not to be stingy when we are overseas.

We have one of those accounts where all our money goes into the mortgage and we only redraw what we need to live on. So we have little "disposable" income so to speak. We did use a financial planner and it was one of the best thing we have ever done in our lives. He now keeps an eye on what goes in and out and I feel guilty if we have to take out more than our "allowance"!

I am grateful for everything that I have in my life. I still remember what it was like to not have more than $50 total in your bank account left over every week, at home struggling with young children with a husband who is working long hours and training, and a big mortgage. We are now reaping the rewards and I am not ashamed to admit that I am enjoying it. It does come at a price. DH works very long and unpredictable hours. I am grateful that DH loves Disney, that he also loves to travel, and that he is willing to go where I want to go (mostly) and finance it! :rotfl:

For those who have had the privilege of sharing in our plans :rotfl: you will know that I still look for and thrive on finding discounts and bargains! You will probably also notice that we tend to plan our holidays quite far away. DH needs the time to give notice that he will be away, re-shuffle on-calls etc By the time, we get to our holiday, we have usually paid most of it off. This helps when planning the next one!

Wouldnt it be boring to have all the money in the world and just decide "we want to go to WDW"

I'd be happy to have that kind of boring in my life :rotfl:

This will be our 4th trip in 4 years and to be honest, we can't afford it :rotfl:

Our first trip in 2008, my mum looked after the two babies for 10 days and we took our two big boys, we had frequent flyer points so only paid $400 for each flight. We stayed at the fairfield inn.(I think)

The next year we couldn't resist the amazing airfares and on the last day of the sale, after ummming and ahring, we bought tickets for the six of us. Adults were about $600 each and the kids were about $500. A week later we mentioned it to my mum and she bought a ticket for $800 to join us. (we stayed at hojo's with the annual passport discount)

The next year, we were totally addicted and my dh was about to turn 40. We'd been together for 20 years and it was our 15 year wedding anniversary. Mum offered to babysit the kids and we went to Disneyland alone. Dh surprised me with a stay at the grand Californian. We had an awesome time.

This year though, the guilt and addiction has gotten to us, we feel bad for not bringing the kids last year and we really really want to go again. We can't afford it, but we're going. We have a nearly full Visa card but we're ignoring that and figure we'll pay for that next year :( I've started a small photography business but I'm not taking many clients. It's enough though for our spending money and dh has had a fairly good year with his plumbing business. We will be able to save up enough for the trip, but not much more so the visa card won't go down much. It would be sooooo nice to have an empty visa and be able to buy the kids cotton candy and churro's whenever they like. We're trying to skimp a little now so we can enjoy it then.

I really don't plan another trip until my 40th, which will be in 2014. I'm hoping the bug won't hit us again and that we'll have a chance to pay the visa card off. I really want to splurge in 2014. It will be our first trip to Disney World and we are going to get a camper and drive across the country and see the grand canyon and jellystone national park as well as a few day at disneyland.

Sorry for the long post, and if there is any spelling errors it's because I've had 2 glasses of wine due to a rough afternoon with the kidlings.

Shushh, as you say, your family is reaping the rewards of your family's sacrifices and hard work. I applaud you!!!

My husband works long hours, as do I but at least I work from home.

I love that you make travel your priority and your children are receiving the most awesome education from that. In my opinion, you have the balance just right.

The coffee thing made me laugh because I always think when I am at the shops and think a nice latte would hit the spot, hmmmm imagine what I could do with that money on a holiday :lmao:. That really resonates with me.

I apologise if my comments made you feel like you needed to justify yourself. I have obviously worded everything wrong because I was just really wondering how everyone does it, everyone has different ways of saving the money for trips and I am looking for ways to increase my saving. That was the only point of my thread. You know i love you (and PIO) and didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I know both your family and PIO make many sacrifices to take your trips and I consider you my very good disney friends.

I, and my family could definitely be more frugal but like yourselves, after many years of struggle struggle struggle, things are much more prosperous for our family at the moment. It may not be forever :confused3, hence me wanting to fit in as many trips as possible :rotfl:.

I am keen to set in play some more "frugal" activities to excite the family about a possible trip and to get everyone saving. I think it truly does help you bond as a family when you have a common love and goal for travel.

For us, this will be the culmination of 18months of planning and saving.

Wouldnt it be boring to have all the money in the world and just decide "we want to go to WDW" head down to flight centre (or the like) and next month youre off!

I think you would miss so much not researching and planning, and meeting lovely peeps on the net.

Our planning started after spending last easter at the Gold Coast, our kids were 12 & 14 and we had such a great time and we thought they were the perfect age. Unfortunately when it takes two years to plan and save for the trip the kids are two years older and I have been worried that they may be too old for Disney. We did discuss it and they assure me they are just as excited to go as I am.

I have a detailed spreadsheet of what we are spending, I have included our ETSA fee, travel insurance, tickets for Cirque Du Soleil, Kennedy ,and Universal, hire car and taxi fare estimates, just about everything I can think of, and I am up to $22k -I dont think that is too bad to take a family of 5 (adults)to WDW, 8nights, a Carribean cruise 7nights (2 balcony cabins), NYC 4nights, and Hard Rock Hotel 4nights -We have free dining and food is included in our cruise, so I dont expect we will need too much spending money. (shopping at the malls is a different budget)

I never dared dream we would be taking such a trip, I really thought it was out of our budget, I thought just a trip to DL would cost $30k. I have to say the exchange rate has helped, we wouldnt be going if it were costing twice as much.

As much as I would have loved to take the children when they were younger I am sort of looking forward to when we can travel without them. (or when they pay for themselves:laughing::laughing:)

Then I think we will go every year!

I agree that the planning, saving and anticipation are a big part of the fun for me. I love it.

I think you have done very well to do all of that for 22k, well done. I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

I'd be happy to have that kind of boring in my life :rotfl:

This will be our 4th trip in 4 years and to be honest, we can't afford it :rotfl:

Our first trip in 2008, my mum looked after the two babies for 10 days and we took our two big boys, we had frequent flyer points so only paid $400 for each flight. We stayed at the fairfield inn.(I think)

The next year we couldn't resist the amazing airfares and on the last day of the sale, after ummming and ahring, we bought tickets for the six of us. Adults were about $600 each and the kids were about $500. A week later we mentioned it to my mum and she bought a ticket for $800 to join us. (we stayed at hojo's with the annual passport discount)

The next year, we were totally addicted and my dh was about to turn 40. We'd been together for 20 years and it was our 15 year wedding anniversary. Mum offered to babysit the kids and we went to Disneyland alone. Dh surprised me with a stay at the grand Californian. We had an awesome time.

This year though, the guilt and addiction has gotten to us, we feel bad for not bringing the kids last year and we really really want to go again. We can't afford it, but we're going. We have a nearly full Visa card but we're ignoring that and figure we'll pay for that next year :( I've started a small photography business but I'm not taking many clients. It's enough though for our spending money and dh has had a fairly good year with his plumbing business. We will be able to save up enough for the trip, but not much more so the visa card won't go down much. It would be sooooo nice to have an empty visa and be able to buy the kids cotton candy and churro's whenever they like. We're trying to skimp a little now so we can enjoy it then.

I really don't plan another trip until my 40th, which will be in 2014. I'm hoping the bug won't hit us again and that we'll have a chance to pay the visa card off. I really want to splurge in 2014. It will be our first trip to Disney World and we are going to get a camper and drive across the country and see the grand canyon and jellystone national park as well as a few day at disneyland.

Sorry for the long post, and if there is any spelling errors it's because I've had 2 glasses of wine due to a rough afternoon with the kidlings.

Firstly, good luck with your photography business, that is of course unless you live in Canberra then you are dead to me :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:....

Someone mentioned to me either on this thread or another one yesterday that you need to travel now while the kids are young and this obviously is a priority for you. That's great and I am sure that after this upcoming trip you will feel you have seen enough to last you another few years until you reach "cough cough" 40!!!! hehehe

Hey Battymum, I like your thinking.... with a 14 & 16 yolds its wonderful and very special to enjoy holidays with them, but there is a little thought in the back of my head "what would it be like without them" :littleangel:
In reality I'm looking forward to the day where they could contribute to the costs - then we could travel to DL everywhere:rotfl2:

I have a detailed spreadsheet of what we are spending, I have included our ETSA fee,

Hi Batty mum
I know I am late to this party but can I ask a question?
What's an ETSA fee?
Is it ESTA? Cause I've never paid anything for ESTA. or have I missed something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter