Seriously, how do you all afford these trips?

I'm fortunate enough (now) to have a job that takes me to the US and HK a couple of times a year. Only problem is my family forbid me to go anywhere near DL without them! :sad2:

So this coming October, it'll be Universal for "Halloween Horror Nights" only. Next year though, we are all going to DL to celebrate my 50th. That should be a lot of fun!

Hi there

I'll wade in as well........we afford this Disney addiction because we no longer have to pay 2 lots of private school fees......and let me tell you, I never realised how much $$$ that used to drain us.......
So now I tell my 2 adult boys " you get the house, but no $$$ when we die, cause your father and I are financially supporting our third & most favourite son Mickey now":rotfl2:
God I love being an empty nester.....and pretty soon we'll be taking the 3 grandkids to WDW, so that justifies the DVC purchase....but if the boys & their wives want to come, they can pay for themselves :rolleyes1
oh, and we are saving a small fortune by not buying coffees, as we have bought a nescafe machine,so much better than coffee shop coffees......:woohoo:

Oh, I concurr on the private school fees - Our daughter is doing HSC this year, and we're counting down the days. :)

as we have bought a nescafe machine,so much better than coffee shop coffees
Are they *that* good? I've been thinking of getting one for a while, but they seem so expensive.

OMG...the coffee machines are AWESOME........
easy to use, to clean, great types of coffee...totally idiot proof [good for me]....and at $0.75 a coffee totally cheap, and you make sure you get the cash back deals that they offer when you buy the machine, every little bit helps.:love:

I haven't read most of the other posts, but I'll give my 2 bobs worth here. We now try and travel every 2nd year. We had a huge 7 weeker in Florida and a Cruise at xmas 2009, but that was after a (generous) redundancy. The allocation of funds is all about priorities. We have a nice house but needs some work, which happens slowly. We don't go out often, don't drink much or smoke at all. We live a simple life and save hard over that time. Every few trips we can use FF points for flights which helps (which we are doing for the Disney Cruise/WDW trip next year). We use our mortgage as our savings which kills 2 birds with one stone. It's surprising how much quicker the savings grow this way and then redraw when needed. And we don't travel domestically either. My brother lives in Tassy but I haven't been there yet, because for what it would cost us as a family, we could have 7 nights at DL with entry staying in Paradise Pier (not flights though). I know my preference here ...

I haven't read most of the other posts, but I'll give my 2 bobs worth here. We now try and travel every 2nd year. We had a huge 7 weeker in Florida and a Cruise at xmas 2009, but that was after a (generous) redundancy. The allocation of funds is all about priorities. We have a nice house but needs some work, which happens slowly. We don't go out often, don't drink much or smoke at all. We live a simple life and save hard over that time. Every few trips we can use FF points for flights which helps (which we are doing for the Disney Cruise/WDW trip next year). We use our mortgage as our savings which kills 2 birds with one stone. It's surprising how much quicker the savings grow this way and then redraw when needed. And we don't travel domestically either. My brother lives in Tassy but I haven't been there yet, because for what it would cost us as a family, we could have 7 nights at DL with entry staying in Paradise Pier (not flights though). I know my preference here ...

Arje, sounds like you guys have a great system. I too save up in my mortgage, and agree it is a great way to do things. I do think every 2 years is an awesome goal. I'm thinking that would be ideal for my family too.

I loved reading this thread, so interesting reading everyones opinions and ways to save.

In 1999 my father in law won a trip to Disneyland and didn't want to go so gave it to us :cool1: We had a 3 1/2 year old daughter at the time and a nine month old son. My mum had my son for us while we travelled.

We had the most amazing time and since then I have always wanted to take my boys (now had 2) one day. We almost went twice before we actually did but due to a new house our plans were put on the back burner and we went to the Gold Coast instead.

I felt we were spoilt by our Disneyland experience and just didn't love the Gold Coast theme parks there is no comparison so when we got home I decided to plan our Disney trip.

I was turning 40 in September 2011 so that was the time we decided to go, we were encouraged to try WDW by a friend who had just come back from an amazing trip there.

I saved every penny for 12 months, as long as I have something to save for I am on a mission. We had an amazing holiday staying at the Beach Club for 10 nights and I am now planning a 4 week trip for Dec 2014/Jan 2015.

My hubby said we can go if I save enough :love: We desperately need a new car but Disney comes first :yay: :yay:

I loved reading this thread, so interesting reading everyones opinions and ways to save.

In 1999 my father in law won a trip to Disneyland and didn't want to go so gave it to us :cool1: We had a 3 1/2 year old daughter at the time and a nine month old son. My mum had my son for us while we travelled.

We had the most amazing time and since then I have always wanted to take my boys (now had 2) one day. We almost went twice before we actually did but due to a new house our plans were put on the back burner and we went to the Gold Coast instead.

I felt we were spoilt by our Disneyland experience and just didn't love the Gold Coast theme parks there is no comparison so when we got home I decided to plan our Disney trip.

I was turning 40 in September 2011 so that was the time we decided to go, we were encouraged to try WDW by a friend who had just come back from an amazing trip there.

I saved every penny for 12 months, as long as I have something to save for I am on a mission. We had an amazing holiday staying at the Beach Club for 10 nights and I am now planning a 4 week trip for Dec 2014/Jan 2015.

My hubby said we can go if I save enough :love: We desperately need a new car but Disney comes first :yay: :yay:

Great story Tapdancer. I too love hearing about how other's make it all happen. It's exciting when people share simple yet different ideas for saving that all helps to go into the Disney holiday fund :lmao:

leesha's savings story:

in the middle of the whole GFC thing, my boss did a runner with all of the company's money. we were at work when they turned the lights out, the computers off, and called us all into the boardroom to announce we were all being made redundant, but with no money, they couldn't pay out our leave, our long service, or any kind of package. we were let go at 10am in the morning. my colleagues and i all went to the local pub to drown our sorrows. at that point, i had no real savings to speak off, i had previously been on a very, very generous wage and we were living the high life.

carlo and i assumed with my experience and qualifications (cause i have mad leet skillz) i'd be reemployed in no time. but the GFC hit my industry (finance) hard, and i was unemployed for a year. during that time, we had to live on one wage, and that wage was really, really ordinary. that was a dark time for us. we lived on cheapo brand instant coffee, uht milk and cheap bread. aldi became our favourite shopping location. i had no haircuts or treatments of any kind for a year. we bought bargain basement groceries and no new clothes or shoes or anything in order to pay the rent and our loan etc. we discovered our bare minimum standard of living. we didn't go anywhere. we didn't go to movies or restaurants or even buy birthday presents for ourselves. we bought others gifts and still celebrated xmas but had a very, very strict budget. this basically was our baseline for the 12 months.

then i got a job. very ordinary wage. almost 1/2 of what i was previously earning, but that regular income was like manna from heaven. we upgraded our standard of living, and reinstated a few social outings, but when we decided to do our trip to disneyland/nyc/wwohp/vegas for 2011, i calculated our entire budget - insurance/esta/airfare/transfers/accom/tipping/food budget/souvenir budget etc. we then broke that down by the number of weeks in the 10 months we had to save up, and every single week without fail, we put that money aside and didn't touch it. tax return money we considered gravy... and that also went into our trip account.

that's now what we're doing for our 2012 trip, which includes a cruise and 3 nights in chicago, 7 nights at disneyland. we've already passed up on the xmas presents. no birthday presents, no date nights or restaurants. we don't drink or smoke. no extraneous expenses, and every single week, that budgeted amount goes into our bank account without fail. makes for a very, very boring year but a great trip as we can afford to indulge ourselves... up to a limit :)

this is also how i plan on travelling to europe next year as a solo trip.

having said that, our recent trip to the usa, from bne-lax-nyc-mco-las-lax-bne cost us, all up, about $12.5k, between the 2 of us which includes every single dollar spent between the time our plane took off to the time our plane landed back in brisbane... we thought that was pretty decent, so we've budgeted the same for this 3 week trip in 2012...

anyway... that's my little savings story :)

if anyone has any

hey

I normally go into the city a few times for post xmas sales...not this year, and I think i have saved a lot of $$$ that way..and really...I dont need anything, I just enjoy the hunt;)

so now instead of shopping, I hunt online for travel bargains.......:surfweb:

and I have my change jar, empty our wallets into it every day....counted it last week...$117 and change..:banana:good for a months effort...that will pay for one nights accom in LA :cloud9:

and xmas this year I stuck to a rigid budget.....once again saving heaps, and the family didnt even notice that the gift count was down :rolleyes1

if you have other ways of saving let us know.....:flower3:

We have our own Business which does quite well. Although we have only been once, we have a lot more trips planned.

:thumbsup2 alicia1506 thats an awesome saving story it is amazing what you can live without when you have to or when your saving for a trip to see ::MickeyMo

:thumbsup2 alicia1506 thats an awesome saving story it is amazing what you can live without when you have to or when your saving for a trip to see ::MickeyMo

hahaha. it wasn't pretty. we stopped getting haircuts, buying new clothes etc and we felt like we were definitely the poor relations.. but jeez. we managed to stretch our dollars :) things like tax returns helped along the way, and my family helped in ways both big & small, but we managed to keep our heads above water for that time, so when we got money again, our first thought was to ensure that we put it to something worthwhile.. this was at the time my sister was talking about travelling, and we all had a lightbulb moment.

now, we've been bitten by the bug and we can't stop planning. we had our big budget talk this morning, and i'm fine tuning the details. but yeah... every week, the exact same amount goes into that disneyland account.

i also named my account 'disneyland trip' that way, every time i'm tempted to withdraw money, i get a visual reminder that this is taking money away from our DLR experience, and it usually deters me.

also, i'm a fan of shopping while in the states.. we could have saved tons on clothes/shoes etc if we'd done more shopping on our last trip :)

leesha's savings story:

in the middle of the whole GFC thing, my boss did a runner with all of the company's money. we were at work when they turned the lights out, the computers off, and called us all into the boardroom to announce we were all being made redundant, but with no money, they couldn't pay out our leave, our long service, or any kind of package. we were let go at 10am in the morning. my colleagues and i all went to the local pub to drown our sorrows. at that point, i had no real savings to speak off, i had previously been on a very, very generous wage and we were living the high life.

carlo and i assumed with my experience and qualifications (cause i have mad leet skillz) i'd be reemployed in no time. but the GFC hit my industry (finance) hard, and i was unemployed for a year. during that time, we had to live on one wage, and that wage was really, really ordinary. that was a dark time for us. we lived on cheapo brand instant coffee, uht milk and cheap bread. aldi became our favourite shopping location. i had no haircuts or treatments of any kind for a year. we bought bargain basement groceries and no new clothes or shoes or anything in order to pay the rent and our loan etc. we discovered our bare minimum standard of living. we didn't go anywhere. we didn't go to movies or restaurants or even buy birthday presents for ourselves. we bought others gifts and still celebrated xmas but had a very, very strict budget. this basically was our baseline for the 12 months.

then i got a job. very ordinary wage. almost 1/2 of what i was previously earning, but that regular income was like manna from heaven. we upgraded our standard of living, and reinstated a few social outings, but when we decided to do our trip to disneyland/nyc/wwohp/vegas for 2011, i calculated our entire budget - insurance/esta/airfare/transfers/accom/tipping/food budget/souvenir budget etc. we then broke that down by the number of weeks in the 10 months we had to save up, and every single week without fail, we put that money aside and didn't touch it. tax return money we considered gravy... and that also went into our trip account.

that's now what we're doing for our 2012 trip, which includes a cruise and 3 nights in chicago, 7 nights at disneyland. we've already passed up on the xmas presents. no birthday presents, no date nights or restaurants. we don't drink or smoke. no extraneous expenses, and every single week, that budgeted amount goes into our bank account without fail. makes for a very, very boring year but a great trip as we can afford to indulge ourselves... up to a limit :)

this is also how i plan on travelling to europe next year as a solo trip.

having said that, our recent trip to the usa, from bne-lax-nyc-mco-las-lax-bne cost us, all up, about $12.5k, between the 2 of us which includes every single dollar spent between the time our plane took off to the time our plane landed back in brisbane... we thought that was pretty decent, so we've budgeted the same for this 3 week trip in 2012...

anyway... that's my little savings story :)

if anyone has any

Love stories like that. What a credit to you.Just Awesome

I absolutely loved your savings story Alicia. I was saddened to here about the circumstances that brought your newfound saving awesomeness about but it looks like it was in the end an pretty handy life lesson for you which can only benefit you forever more.

Karen mentioned that she loves to shop in the US and ironically this ties into my own families savings :lmao:.

My DH love love loves to shop, most especially for clothes for himself. Nearly every weekend he was heading out buying something or other. He didn't have a need, just a want and a love of shopping. And he doesn't go for cheap brands, he is a total "label" man thanks to his mother :rotfl2:.

The best thing I EVER did was take him to the US. He was spellbound by the prices and I let him shop unrestrained because it was so cheap. Here is the good part:-

He can't stand paying the aussie prices for things now :rotfl::rotfl:. It cracks me up. He truly can't bring himself to shop here anymore. Perfect example, we were in Melbourne over the weekend and yesterday we went to the old Diamaru, what's it called now?? God I sound old now. haha. Anyway, we were in Esprit which he loves and they were having a sale so I said, get a few things if you want. But once he started looking at the prices he just couldn't do it. There were some really nice t-shirts, 2 for $30 etc but he said, I bought great t-shirts for $9 in NYC at Esprit, it's a rip off :rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Same happened at Gap, :laughing:. It is the best savings plan I have ever introduced into our lives :rotfl:.

I absolutely loved your savings story Alicia. I was saddened to here about the circumstances that brought your newfound saving awesomeness about but it looks like it was in the end an pretty handy life lesson for you which can only benefit you forever more.

lol. i guess it was -- it was pretty much the second most difficult time of my life, and it was tough at the time, but it really taught us the value of the fun, and finer, things in life, so that now, we really do appreciate them :)

my sis in law is pregnant right now, and that baby got so much disney merchandise at the baby shower :)

He can't stand paying the aussie prices for things now . It cracks me up. He truly can't bring himself to shop here anymore. Perfect example, we were in Melbourne over the weekend and yesterday we went to the old Diamaru, what's it called now?? God I sound old now. haha. Anyway, we were in Esprit which he loves and they were having a sale so I said, get a few things if you want. But once he started looking at the prices he just couldn't do it. There were some really nice t-shirts, 2 for $30 etc but he said, I bought great t-shirts for $9 in NYC at Esprit, it's a rip off

Love this Ms Shuttergirl, I am from the states and I also can not stomach making some purchases here in Australia. I often talk my husband into a trip to the states when I am due for new contact lens'. The amount I save buying them in the states practically pays for my flight.

Affording a trip though really is about priorities. We built a new home over a year ago and have spent our money on a new yard etc. We were weighing up a trip this year or new beds and furniture. We compromised at new beds and a shorter trip at the end of the year.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's ideas for saving money and for our shared obsession with DL and/or WDW. Thanks everyone for posting your stories! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter