Since when is this acceptable?

I've been finding it interesting to read that people assume it's not the actual owners but merely heathen renters ;)
For the record, I didn't say that specifically. A non-Dis-board-educated DVC owner might still have the potential to not know some of the nuances of owning a timeshare.

There is no excuse for this. Those appear to be pool towels. Keep them on the tiled bathroom floor and bring them back to the pool and put them in the bin by the pool in the morning if you are toobusy to do it in the evening. I understand the need to bring pool towels to the room sometimes. We’ve done it too. But we always bring them back to the bin at the pool. Would you leave wet towels on your carpeted floor at home? Florida has high humidity....that’s a mildew issuecwaiting to happen.

The daily security check has NOTHING to do with dirty towels. They will remove trash. They are not the person with the big rolling cart that collects dirty sheets and towels.

DVC is your home away from home. Wash and dry your towels using your in room washer/dryer or bring them to the free laundry facilities.

Yes at one time you were charged for an additional towel package. So a PP was correct, but I don’t believe this is any longer the case. People just help themselves when they see a housekeeping cart.

Your reservation confirmation has specific instructions regarding when your towels will be changed out. People who rent out their points should make sure their renters know these things.

I’ve witnessed pizza boxes and trash bags piled outside doors at BLT when there is a trash and recycling room on every floor. People are just plain lazy and expect someone else to do the dirty work.

Same at the pools. People leave their dirty, wet towels on chairs and tables when they leave. Really inconsiderate.
Agree in essence with all your points. However we stayed in a deluxe studio at BLT in April - they do not have a washer/dryer in the rooms. We used the public one on the first floor but they were so dilapidated that only one of the washers worked and one of the dryers worked, and there was a line of people from Contemporary who were there to use our "free" facilities.

Also I looked extensively and did not find a "trash room" or a "recycling room" anywhere - fortunately they did come in every day to throw away our trash.

1) A covered room service tray… fine.
2) Towels… No.
3) Trash…. HUGE NO.
4) ECV…. No, and I’m surprised Disney does not state that at check in seeing as though it’s an evacuation hazard.
Remember, those hallways could be filled with smoke and hard to see.

I also think, although the guest is in the wrong for putting towels/trash in the hall, housekeeping absolutely needs to take care of it. I won’t say picking up after slobs is their job, but I will say it comes with the territory.

For the record, I didn't say that specifically. A non-Dis-board-educated DVC owner might still have the potential to not know some of the nuances of owning a timeshare.
I wasn't saying you personally were just bouncing off your comment. However, to your comment I would say it's interesting you're assuming it's someone uneducated non-DISer.

People can be aware of the rules and still go against them, people can be inconsiderate to the hotel and other guests, etc and be educated DVC owners and members of the DIS. Assumptions about the education level, forum membership, cash vs renting, etc should not be made as it implies something it shouldn't. People are people regardless is all I'm saying.

I know you weren't trying to go there but even if you're trying to give the benefit of the doubt it's an assumption on all the other's that this is a person simply unaware of the rules, a renter, etc. Point is it can easily be someone who def. knows better and is the actual owner.

During one of our DVC stays, they were not coming in to get towels per the schedule. When we called to follow up, they told us to leave a pile of them in front of the door so they knew we needed new ones. I think it was during our 2021 stay. We thought it was really weird, but we weren’t going to go against what they told us to do.

Towels on the floor seems low on the list of taboo vacation behavior, IMO.

I would much rather have someone leaving towels in the hall than jumping up and down in the room above me at 3am every night.

During one of our DVC stays, they were not coming in to get towels per the schedule. When we called to follow up, they told us to leave a pile of them in front of the door so they knew we needed new ones. I think it was during our 2021 stay. We thought it was really weird, but we weren’t going to go against what they told us to do.
I think that's the hard part for travel in general right now. Because a lot of these adjustments are not necessarily a full on policy change OR they aren't wanting to make it a full on policy change for ever and ever you get random rules at random times.

You'd like to hope they would publish something for those in general but if it's not something they want to keep forever they may not want to put in the effort to do so. And I could also see it being so and so saw the towel and figured why not I'll do it too even if published info says otherwise.

3) Trash…. HUGE NO.
I'm trying to remember where it was, but I recently stayed at a timeshare resort where we were told that if our trash or recycling bags were full to set them out in the hall to be picked up. I don't think we ever needed to (we must not have done much cooking on that trip) and I don't remember seeing a bunch of trash scattered hither and yon. So, either no one else did much either or the staff were good about getting it in a timely fashion.

one Action solves both problems

move the wheelchair in front of the offending towel door and disconnect the battery

wheelchair owner will be good and buggered and towel guests will have to deal with an offensive obstacle

I can only picture the wheelchair owner getting out of their room, being all angry why the unit moved. Now sitting on the thing already good and grumpy only to find no power. Doubtful they know how to fix it so whole day ruined waiting for service to come and fix it for them

OP here. There was a card hanging in our bathroom that spoke to the housekeeping schedule. I think what really got to me was this building had just been completely redone, including brand new carpet in the hallways. What a great start to the carpets turning grimy and musty. The towels were soaking wet at times. That’s what caught my eye the second day is that newly wet towels were added to the prior day’s towels. I never felt irritation with housekeeping, just the guests. It’s the fact that some guests feel their comfort should be prioritized over the experience of the other guests.

I know there has been discussion about the ECV blocking the hallway, but if you look at the photo I posted you can see that the towels were also well into the walking path of the corridor.

Regarding the room service trays—we saw plenty of those, too, but they seemed to get picked up daily. I’ll add in response to those who are comparing Disney resorts to high end hotels—I’ve never noticed guests putting trash or towels in the hall when staying at top tier hotels. Too, I specifically recall occasions at hotels where the room service tray included a card with the number to call to have the tray picked up. I’m not saying this because I think Disney should do the same. What I do wish is that guests would leave their tray in a neat manner for the sake of the guests and the CMs.

Agree in essence with all your points. However we stayed in a deluxe studio at BLT in April - they do not have a washer/dryer in the rooms. We used the public one on the first floor but they were so dilapidated that only one of the washers worked and one of the dryers worked, and there was a line of people from Contemporary who were there to use our "free" facilities.

Also I looked extensively and did not find a "trash room" or a "recycling room" anywhere - fortunately they did come in every day to throw away our trash.
I’m well aware that there is not a washer and dryer in any DVC studio, which is why I said “or use the free laundry facility “. At BLT there is a trash/recycle room on every floor on the side of the building that faces the pool. There is also ice and vending on floors 4 and 9 I believe.
The free laundry is supposed to be used by DVC members staying at BLT. Nobody from the Contemporary is supposed to be using it. I’m sure it is what our dues are used for. How do you know they were from the Contemporary? I’m the type of person that would have walked down the hall to the front desk and lodged a complaint especially since they were forming a line. Especially since they should not be there. I know lots of people returning from a Disney Cruise will save their dirty laundry (it’s expensive to use the washers on board) until they get to their resort portion of their vacation and have heard people complaining about all machines being occupied. I’ve never experienced that myself though.
We were there in May and they must have repaired all the machines. Everything was working fine and the place was mostly empty.
There was a time when that room was locked and you could only get in with your magic band.

I don’t know….I guess I just don’t find it that hard to throw them through the washer?

edit -just realized the studios don’t have washers. But for everyone else?

Last edited:
I think that's the hard part for travel in general right now. Because a lot of these adjustments are not necessarily a full on policy change OR they aren't wanting to make it a full on policy change for ever and ever you get random rules at random times.

You'd like to hope they would publish something for those in general but if it's not something they want to keep forever they may not want to put in the effort to do so. And I could also see it being so and so saw the towel and figured why not I'll do it too even if published info says otherwise.
I agree - travel rules are confusing right now. Pre-covid, I was never told to put old towels in the hall, but post-covid, I have been told to do so, multiple times at different hotels. Never a 5 star hotel, but 3 star and 4 star ones.

I do agree that some people have a general disregard of others, but I do also think with current circumstances and constantly changing protocols, someone could think putting towels in the hallway to pick-up is appropriate especially if other locations do this, DVC has told others to do this in the past, etc.

That being said, I don’t think leaving wet towels in the hall would ever make sense even in current times. At a minimum, hang them up and let them dry prior to this.

Finally, in an ideal world, people are 100% considerate, and we don’t have to remedy poor behavior. However, realistically this will never happen, and I think Disney does have ultimate responsibility for maintaining their facilities. If towels are left in the hall, they should remove them timely and warn the guest as appropriate. Also, if this a reoccurring issue, maybe make a change to combat the root of the problem. I think in many cases, people just don’t want old towels out of their room. If Disney had a towel drop to discard used towels, then I think many (not all) people who want to discard towels would utilize it. However, I don’t really know how wide spread this issue is as I don’t recall seeing this commonly.

Regarding trash (but staying out of the towel debate), I personally would find it helpful if there were a sign near the elevators saying, "The trash room is next to room xxx.)" That would let everybody know that it existed, and where to find it. Perhaps there are people who would leave trash outside their room even if they read and understood the sign, but it could be helpful to the rest of us.

When I stayed at CCV pre-COVID, I looked for the trash room on my first day (in case I needed it), but could not find it. I asked at the front desk and they would not tell me where it was. They said to call housekeeping if I had trash to get rid of. I didn't have smelly food trash or diapers that I wanted to get out of the room immediately, so it wasn't an issue for me, but I thought it was odd.

On top of everything, it's just bad show. And Disney is all about good show, from their parks to their resorts. Other than DVC members, people are spending $700+ a night to stay there and it's a once-in-a-lifetime dream trip for others. There should be consideration for anyone walking through those halls on their vacation or excited to walk down those halls and see the brand new carpet like I will be when I'm there in a week.

So basically, just make sure this is all gone by next week.

I honestly thought this post was about the ECV blocking the hallway. What an incredibly frustrating scenario for someone in a larger wheelchair. And VGF2 rooms are huge. There is room for three scooters -- to stay in your room! Or at least park at the end of the hall.

I was off the main hallway at VGF2, so I didn't even notice side hallways this narrow. This is something I am sensitive to with a wheelchair bound family member. You can roll around the towels (or the old room service?) but the giant ECV yikes.
I also thought of the hazard of the ECV blocking the hallway. Before I retired I was in property management, that's a big red flag on the fire code (at least in Ontario). So easy to cause injury during egress from a real fire, dim lighting, crowds trying to escape etc. Someone should be saying something about that.

As for the towels, that smacks of entitlement. I take my pool towels back to the pool the next time I go. It isn't a big imposition. The CMs in a DVC resort should not be walking past that though.

I just returned from a stay in the beautiful new VGF2. DVC owners and renters are aware of and agree to the housekeeping schedule yet some choose to pile their wet, dirty towels on the brand new carpet in the hallways. The room next to ours continued to add to their pile daily. This is what we had to pass every day.

View attachment 683992
While still disgusting, I can almlost give a pass on this occurring with cash stays because not having daily housekeeping there is borderline unacceptable. Plus, housekeeping picks up those piles in the hallway daily. DVC stays are a different story.
I would report it to the front desk if I was staying there and tell them if it happens again I am going to contact the Fire Marshall and send them pictures. This is a safety violation especially if there were a fire, this is a tripping hazard.

Regarding trash (but staying out of the towel debate), I personally would find it helpful if there were a sign near the elevators saying, "The trash room is next to room xxx.)" <snip>
I've wished for that too. It's frustrating that over the years I've seen people mention trash rooms several times, and we've wanted them without being able to find them in many resorts.

DVC members do it’s part of our contract. 4 towels per bathroom extra towel packs are purchased
I'm a DVC member. I've now stayed on points 5 times. I've never been charged extra when requesting extra towels. (I also always turn down the day 4 room service so I have no idea if that's part of it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter