• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Social distancing on planes?

Then the headcount doesn't match the checked-in passenger count.

Look, at least some airlines do have specific, published processes. Southwest does. Delta does. So, again, check with your airline.

It is my understanding, from my experiences, that the third seat is ticketed in such a way as to identify it in the systems, and to the airline employees, that it is a additional seat in another flyers name.
At least that is what KLM and American told me. Obviously, yes folks should do their due diligence, however airlines do have ways to identify these seats for what they are.

DH and I love to travel, and flying is just part of it... Everyone has to take personal responsibility for one's own self to stay safe, and take precautions...

We too got the letter from Delta, for our upcoming flight to Japan in November...

We are planning on tons of hand soap, hand sanitizer, bleach wipes and we are both huge hand washing freaks... We have always done this when we travel, even if we are going to see family and friends... As well we will be taking mask and gloves with us...and are planning on wearing a mask on the plane, airport, or where it is called for...

I hate to touch the bins in the airport, as well they need to cleaned/disinfected/sterilize

I think that the airlines need to come up with some type of cleaning procedure across the board... to ensure that the whole plane is cleaned / disinfected/ sterilized after each stop...including tray tables, arm rest, seat back, window, and the restrooms... instead of what happens now, sorta picking up, and refilling the restrooms...

I would not be apposed to having my temp. taken before entering the airport... even again before boarding if this would help...

Delta has already began fogging every plane overnight. They said by next month, they will have enough equipment to fog after every flight and will continue to do so after normal operations resume.

They posted something to YouTube if you really want to know more. It’s probably under Delta Clean.

Last edited:
Delta has already began fogging every plane overnight. They said by next month, they will have enough equipment to fog after every flight and will continue to do so after normal operations resume.

They posted something to YouTube if you really want to know more. It’s probably under Delta Clean.
The fogger stuff is probably the same that the cruise lines for years to deal with norovirus. It is highly effective where cloth is involved.

The fogger stuff is probably the same that the cruise lines for years to deal with norovirus. It is highly effective where cloth is involved.
This is fine for disinfecting from the previous flight but what about the passengers coming on? I would gladly pay an extra 5 dollars or so on my ticket to have mandatory masks on the flight.

Dubious, because this comes from the same people that proposed the "flying saddle" seats, but I kinda like this;
Alternate seating - middle seat rides backwards
I'd make the plexiglass translucent rather than clear so you don't feel like you are all up in the business of the people in the forward-facing seats. Also, what about families? I can't imagine trying to wedge a car seat into the window seat with the barriers in the way, plus parents like to play cards and interact with their kids during the flight (OK, maybe not ALL parents 😝 ). I could also see an issue with getting out in an emergency.

This is fine for disinfecting from the previous flight but what about the passengers coming on? I would gladly pay an extra 5 dollars or so on my ticket to have mandatory masks on the flight.
Maybe I missed it, but why would you pay extra to wear a mask?

If everyone is required to wear a mask, the airlines disinfect the plane between flights and no outwardly sick people are allowed to board, I'm not sure the 6' social distancing is necessary. Keeping the middle seat open except for family members flying together is a good idea. Maybe start out with only using every other row.

I'm less worried about being on an airplane than i am about being in an airport - the air on the plane is filtered several times over. We can wear masks as well, but I dont know how they will manage with the lines for security check, food, anything. So many lines. I'm not actually "worried" just curious.

If everyone is required to wear a mask, the airlines disinfect the plane between flights and no outwardly sick people are allowed to board, I'm not sure the 6' social distancing is necessary. Keeping the middle seat open except for family members flying together is a good idea. Maybe start out with only using every other row.
Airlines aren't going to do that. If your afraid to sit next to another human being than don't fly.

Airlines aren't going to do that. If your afraid to sit next to another human being than don't fly.

On the news yesterday there was at least one airline who said they would try to keep the middle seats open. But they were not going to guarantee it. Can't remember which airline. I do remember Emirates is doing a quick covid test before allowing you to board.

I'm less worried about being on an airplane than i am about being in an airport - the air on the plane is filtered several times over. We can wear masks as well, but I dont know how they will manage with the lines for security check, food, anything. So many lines. I'm not actually "worried" just curious.
Depends on how good the filtering is.

AirlineMasks required (crew)Masks available (passengers)Masks required (passengers)Cleaning before every flightLimited seat selectionMiddle seats not sold
AlaskaYesYes
AllegiantYesYes
AmericanYesYesYesYes
DeltaYesYesYesYesYes
FrontierYesYes
HawaiianYes
JetBlueYesYes
SouthwestN/A
SpiritYes
Sun CountryYes
UnitedYesYesYesYes

Delta
Aircraft cleaning
Delta is thoroughly cleaning common touch points (arm rests, seat belts, overhead controls, etc.) before every flight and all aircraft undergo a disinfectant fogging procedure every night. Beginning in early May, that same fogging procedure will be used before every flight.
Face masks
Through June 30, Delta is requiring that all employees and contractors wear masks whenever six feet of separation is not possible. The airline is “strongly encouraging” but not requiring passengers to wear masks, however they will be available upon request at ticket counters, gates and onboard flights.
Passenger loads
Delta is blocking the sale of middle seats in economy, as well as Comfort+ and Premium Select. These seats cannot be sold, so they should not be occupied, although families can request that a gate agent seat them together. Additionally, Delta is blocking automatic upgrades, and processing them at the gate, as social distancing practices allow.
Other measures
Delta is boarding flights from the rear of the aircraft to the front, to minimize opportunities for customers to come into contact onboard.

Southwest
Aircraft cleaning
In the beginning of March, Southwest began applying a disinfectant during overnight cleanings, with an extra emphasis on high-touch items, including window shades and seat belts. Southwest has also rolled out electrostatic treatments, which the airline is applying across the fleet, with each session providing “weeks of protection.”
Face masks
Southwest is recommending but not requiring that passengers and crew members wear face masks, except at airports where they’re mandated by local regulations. Face masks, gloves and sanitizing wipes are available to crew members.
Passenger loads
Southwest is maintaining its open seating policy, and although the carrier isn’t currently limiting the number of seats sold on each flight, a representative noted that the airline is seeing low load factors, so reasonable distancing should be possible on many flights. Additionally, flight attendants may ask customers not to occupy the first or last three rows on an aircraft, to maintain significant separation from jump seats.
Other measures
Southwest has shifted from boarding groups of 30 passengers at a time to groups of 15 or less, and gate agents ask customers to scan their own boarding passes, minimizing interactions with staff.

AirlineMasks required (crew)Masks available (passengers)Masks required (passengers)Cleaning before every flightLimited seat selectionMiddle seats not sold
AlaskaYesYes
AllegiantYesYes
AmericanYesYesYesYes
DeltaYesYesYesYesYes
FrontierYesYes
HawaiianYes
JetBlueYesYes
SouthwestN/A
SpiritYes
Sun CountryYes
UnitedYesYesYesYes

Thank you for posting this!! Just for clarification though I do not believe American is requiring passengers to wear masks. I think they are being provided but not required.

Thank you for posting this!! Just for clarification though I do not believe American is requiring passengers to wear masks. I think they are being provided but not required.

Hi, MrsBooch.

You're Welcome.

The info was quoted on April 29, 2020, but I'm sure these criteria will be changing constantly by each airline and airport.

Beginning May 1, American will require masks for all flight attendants, which will be available onboard. The airline will not require masks for passengers, but AA will begin distributing face masks, along with sanitizing wipes or gels, to passengers beginning in early May.

Thank you for the update.

American
Aircraft cleaning
Currently, American is thoroughly cleaning aircraft during longer stops, but will expand this program to every mainline flight beginning in early May, including using an EPA-approved disinfectant to clean common customer touch points (arm rests, seat belts, overhead controls, etc.), along with cockpits, galleys and other crew areas.
Face masks
Beginning May 1, American will require masks for all flight attendants, which will be available onboard. The airline will not require masks for passengers, but AA will begin distributing face masks, along with sanitizing wipes or gels, to passengers beginning in early May.
Passenger loads
American is limiting the number of passengers on all flights through May 31, though this practice will vary from one aircraft to the next, and may not result in all middle seats being unoccupied. Currently, AA is blocking 50% of middle seats for selection, but not for sale — a gate agent may assign blocked seats only when necessary. Additionally, passengers will not be seated near flight attendant jump seats.
Other measures
American has also increased the frequency of cleaning areas it controls throughout the airport, including ticket counters, team member rooms and gates.

My husband and I are supposed to fly Sun Country in June to Orlando. I checked and our seats were reassigned. All middle seats have been x'd out. So it's a thing.

Hi, Bunnyma.

Thank you for your info.

Sun Country
Aircraft cleaning
Sun Country has increased the frequency at which it cleans high-touch areas, including arm rests, tray tables and lavatories. The airline has also added a disinfectant, which is applied between day flights when an aircraft is on the ground for more than two hours, and during all overnight cleanings at the airline’s Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP) hub.

Face masks
Sun Country is not requiring that passengers and crew members wear face masks, except at airports where they’re mandated by local regulations.

Passenger loads
Sun Country is blocking middle seats for reservation, though the airline is currently selling all flights to capacity, so a gate agent may need to assign middle seats in some cases. Families wishing to sit together may make a request at the check-in counter or gate.

Other measures
The airline is not offering any service onboard, including complimentary beverages and buy-on-board products, to minimize interactions between passengers and crew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter