Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread! Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!

mousemoose

Save Splash Mountain!
Last edited:
I read there statement today but it did not have a date. Does anyone know when this is suppose to happen? I have a trip planned in October I would love to see it one last time.

“You Can’t Run Away From Trouble – Ain’t No Place That Far.”

The basic storyline of Splash Mountain is comparable to the storyline in both the Lion King and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. It’s about a character who runs away from the troubles and responsibility of his home, only to realize one day he has to face his bullies and go back home. Brer Rabbit wants to spend his days idling away in his Laughin’ Place, while Simba wants to lounge around in Hakuna Matata bliss and Rudolph wants to live life amongst the misfit toys. It also bears resemblance to The Jungle Book, in which Mowgli wants to spend his days carefree in the jungle, only to realize he needs to go back home and assume the responsibility of a human.

Of course, the storyline of Splash is most easily comparable to its source: Song of the South. In the movie, little Johnny gets depressed from the bully kids next door who pick on him. They kick him, insult him and want to hurt his puppy. So Johnny wants to run away from home. Uncle Remus tells him the story of Brer Rabbit and convinces him that no matter what, Johnny will have to one day face his troubles.

In both Splash and the movie, we see that Brer Rabbit didn’t have much strength of his own, being a small little guy, so he had to use his brains to foil his enemies, tricking Brer Fox and Brer Bear to send him right where he wanted to go. “Yes sir, I was born and bred in the Briar Patch!” Little Johnny uses the same tactics as Brer Rabbit, outwitting the bullies.

“It’s the Truth, its Actual… Everything is Satisfactual! It’s a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day!”
paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:

“You Can’t Run Away From Trouble – Ain’t No Place That Far.”

The basic storyline of Splash Mountain is comparable to the storyline in both the Lion King and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. It’s about a character who runs away from the troubles and responsibility of his home, only to realize one day he has to face his bullies and go back home. Brer Rabbit wants to spend his days idling away in his Laughin’ Place, while Simba wants to lounge around in Hakuna Matata bliss and Rudolph wants to live life amongst the misfit toys. It also bears resemblance to The Jungle Book, in which Mowgli wants to spend his days carefree in the jungle, only to realize he needs to go back home and assume the responsibility of a human.

Of course, the storyline of Splash is most easily comparable to its source: Song of the South. In the movie, little Johnny gets depressed from the bully kids next door who pick on him. They kick him, insult him and want to hurt his puppy. So Johnny wants to run away from home. Uncle Remus tells him the story of Brer Rabbit and convinces him that no matter what, Johnny will have to one day face his troubles.

In both Splash and the movie, we see that Brer Rabbit didn’t have much strength of his own, being a small little guy, so he had to use his brains to foil his enemies, tricking Brer Fox and Brer Bear to send him right where he wanted to go. “Yes sir, I was born and bred in the Briar Patch!” Little Johnny uses the same tactics as Brer Rabbit, outwitting the bullies.

“It’s the Truth, its Actual… Everything is Satisfactual! It’s a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day!”
paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:

Unfortunately the Twitter mob would crucify you for uttering such nonsensical facts...just better be a good revamp

...a stroll down memory lane...ENJOY THE RIDE!

enhance

“That Brer Rabbit is Headin’ for Trouble One of These Days” – Brer Frog, Splash’s Storyteller

The Differences Between Splash Mountain and Song of the South:

The most obvious difference between ride and film lays in the fact that Song of the South was primarily live action with three animated shorts woven in, along with a few segments of live action/animation crossover. Splash removes all of the live action elements from the ride. Uncle Remus, Johnny, Toby and the rest are no where to be seen. In the film, Uncle Remus narrates the tales with Brer Frog seen as Remus’s close friend in one short. In the ride, Brer Frog assumes the storytelling role, starting in the queue line “preshow” where you can just see his shadow rocking back and forth.

While we see Brer Rabbit, Brer Frog, Brer Fox and Brer Bear in the ride, we also see other critters only glimpsed as background or minor characters in the film, such as Mr. Bluebird. Brand new characters, like the geese, lady rabbits, vultures, Brer Roadrunner and Porky Pine were created just for the ride. Many of these new players, like the geese, were imported from the old America Sings attraction. One glaring omission from the ride is the Tar Baby. He is replaced by a simple beehive Brer Fox finally nabs Brer Rabbit with.

A giant consistency between film and ride is Brer Bear’s voice. Unfortunately, the voices of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox had passed away prior to Splash Mountain. However, Nick Stewart, Ber Bear’s original voice in the 1946 film, reprised the role for the 1989 ride. Since Stewart passed away in 2000, Brer Bear's voice for the 2011 Kinect Disneyland videogame was done by James Avery ("Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire") who also voiced Brer Frog in Splash Mountain.

paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:

This one is a tough one. When my son, who is now 18, and I talk about WDW the first ride we plan on is Splash Mountain. It was the first ride he ever went on as a 6 year old, and it took coaxing to get him past his fears. Once he did, we would ride that thing all day. He'd sing "how do you do" all day and night. We were both also planning on a matching tattoo of the GPS coordinates of what he said is the most special place to him.

Never once did I consider the meaning behind the bear, rabbit, briar patch and all of the characters. I knew the Song of the South had history, but did anyone ever look at Splash Mountain and be offended by it? I'm truly asking, not being sarcastic.

I understand all things change, but as my son texted me "Can 2020 just end already?" with a link to the news story. He's lost his senior prom, his graduation, senior week, his last year of ice hockey, and has not seen any of his friends in the final months of his high school education. Canceled was our annual father/son trip to Disney in July. And now this.

I get it. I guess. Just for me it's a memory of him as a giddy little boy on the ride. It's seeing an 18 year old revert back to that 6 year old when he sits in that log.

Definitely going to miss it, but as my son said... even if I don't agree, the message they're sending is a good one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter