Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking of the bigger names like Dave Filoni and Doug Chiang. People who have been with the company for years.
But, they aren't the ones Kennedy gave to control to over the stories Star Wars tells. That went to Kiri Hart and the Lucas Story Group.

Babu Frik:
View attachment 446566

Babu Frik is “the tiny Anzellan droidsmith” who “works among the Spice Runners of Kijimi and can reprogram or modify virtually any droid — regardless of the security measures protecting its systems.” Kijimi is a new snow-dusted planet that is home to the Thieves’ Quarter, a place Variety says “has become very profitable for scoundrels to avoid picking a side during the escalating war between Leia’s Resistance and Kylo Ren’s forces.” It’s also where Keri Russell’s all new character Zorii Bliss resides.

He is cute. Reminds me a little bit of Hup from Dark Crystal Resistance.

I am very curious where they're going with this movie after the ending of that last one. Apparently Leia has no friends, there are 15 people left in the Resistance and the villain of the last two movies went out like a chump. And one of the 15 people in the Resistance could not film any new scenes for this movie.

Marvel just started releasing a limited comic series, 'Star Wars: Allegiance', that leads up to Ep 9 and tells the story of how Leia and the few remaining rebels go about recruiting new allies. All 4 issues should be released by the end of the month. So far it's not too bad. It's not critical reading, but it is helping to fill in the blanks a bit.

74459850_10215220034121056_5197797248712310784_o.jpg
Well, someone loved the trailer- think he's watched it around 30x so far - he's ready - costly day for dad with LK BLU-RAY release and the light saber! ( not bad for &17 at kohls - actually makes realistic sounds and Lukes voice sounds good ( believe I paid much more at DHS)

But, they aren't the ones Kennedy gave to control to over the stories Star Wars tells. That went to Kiri Hart and the Lucas Story Group.

Yeah, but Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee are on Story Group and they had been with Lucasfilm for a while. Leland is one of the biggest Star Wars experts around.

Yeah, but Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee are on Story Group and they had been with Lucasfilm for a while. Leland is one of the biggest Star Wars experts around.
Chee was the only person in the group that had the kind of credentials needed to belong in the group that was responsible for the direction of the story and the story’s cannon.

I’m not a Hidalgo fan.

Marvel just started releasing a limited comic series, 'Star Wars: Allegiance', that leads up to Ep 9 and tells the story of how Leia and the few remaining rebels go about recruiting new allies. All 4 issues should be released by the end of the month. So far it's not too bad. It's not critical reading, but it is helping to fill in the blanks a bit.

Black Spire also has a bit of that kind of recruiting stuff as well. It's the novel that gives the background stories of Batuu.

I'm not gonna lie, that 3PO line hit me right in the feels.
word.
Thank you for this! Looks like another release I'm going to need for my collection. Tomorrow I'm calling my comic book pusher to see if he has these on order. Looks like issue #3 comes out tomorrow, hopefully I can get #1 and #2 also.

In the "Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker" is going to fail camp ..... (for those who find following the "naysayers" entertaining (like me)).

There was reports that pre-sales for episode IX were doing well and pre-sales in the first hour was outselling pre-sales of the first hour of Endgame.

So the negative nancies have YouTube video after YouTube video saying the numbers aren't "legit".
Now . .i will admit saying "first hour sales" are breaking records is probably is just marketing doing their job. You can cherry pick statitistics to get them to say what you want. FOMO is real and is a marketing strategy now.

I have never seen a more concentrated effort to try and destroy a franchise (that they supposedly love).

That being said .. I enjoyed the trailer and how it isn't giving away too much of the story .. and thanks to posters above mentioning the comic series .. I will have to check it out. The Marvel Star Wars comics are pretty hit and miss, but something that fills in the blanks between movies is nice.

My son and I read Star Wars Adventures (comic) together and they will be having some issues leading up to it.
Here is a list of other items:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_Star_Wars#The_Rise_of_Skywalker

Overall I thought TFA was a better, tighter, more consistent movie - but the high points of TLJ were better than those of TFA, just was more uneven and had some lower/silly points. It is similar to Return of the Jedi to me in that way - very high high points, but the lows are pretty low

Agreed. The entire final third of TLJ was unexpected. I kept waiting for Luke to come in and kick everyone's ****. So when he didn't, it gave me a true Holy Crap response.

I have a good friend that is Rian Johnson's Uncle. So I am a bit biased, via seven degrees of seperation, but I still felt it was better than TFA.

Agreed. The entire final third of TLJ was unexpected. I kept waiting for Luke to come in and kick everyone's ****. So when he didn't, it gave me a true Holy Crap response.

I have a good friend that is Rian Johnson's Uncle. So I am a bit biased, via seven degrees of seperation, but I still felt it was better than TFA.

But Luke still came in and "saved the day" even if it was a ruse. I had no problem with that aspect.

I do think TFA was a bit too safe of a film, and TLJ may have been a bit too far the other way. I also think if IX can meet them int he middle, the whole trilogy as a whole should play really well.

I'm still seeing this opening night, and I still hope it's good.

But with that said, I almost feel like I've moved on from the new trilogy.

What really makes me excited and hopeful for the future are the Disney+ series. The Mandalorian and the final season of Clone Wars.

I am wondering has anyone heard of anything on any special events for the opening weekend for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker anywhere at Disney World?

I know in the past DHS had Galactic Nights for opening weekend of new Star Wars movies. However, usually tickets for such an event would have already started to be sold and this is the first Star Wars movie after Galaxy's Edge being opened.

I wish Disney would do at least an After Hours event at the minimum. Like it is lost easy money for them, but I guess it is not my problem.

I already got my tickets for the Star Wars Marathon at Disney Springs, which will be showing all 9 episodic movies.

I'm still seeing this opening night, and I still hope it's good.

But with that said, I almost feel like I've moved on from the new trilogy.

What really makes me excited and hopeful for the future are the Disney+ series. The Mandalorian and the final season of Clone Wars.

Same. I have tickets for opening night. I hate trying to avoid spoilers, it's just easier. And I preview it for my kids.

I hated the prequel trilogy until the third act of Attack of the Clones. I'm too nostalgic with the original trilogy, so I try to not compare anything with it. I liked TFA, really enjoyed TLJ (except Canto Bight and Superwoman Leia). I have high hopes for IX, only because I think they really know they have to right the ship for everyone involved.

word.

Thank you for this! Looks like another release I'm going to need for my collection. Tomorrow I'm calling my comic book pusher to see if he has these on order. Looks like issue #3 comes out tomorrow, hopefully I can get #1 and #2 also.

The Star Wars comic I'm really looking forward to is 'The Rise of Kylo Ren'. Pretty sure it's 4 or 5 issues and going to finally give us the Kylo training with Snoke and Knights of Ren backstory. I think it's still scheduled for release in December.

For the folks following the Marvel canon comics, they're ending all the current Star Wars and associated titles (like Aphra) in December with a final tie-in issue that leads up to 'Empire Strikes Back'. In this way the current Star Wars run filled in the stories between Ep 4 and 5. In January Marvel is relaunching Star Wars with a new #1 jumping on point (not surprising) and fill in the stories between Empire and Jedi. No other comics have been announced yet during this time period, but I'm really hoping Dr. Aphra is still around in some way after Empire. While her character was a new creation for the comics, she's quickly become a big fan favorite. I really hope they don't kill her off in December ...

The Star Wars comic I'm really looking forward to is 'The Rise of Kylo Ren'. Pretty sure it's 4 or 5 issues and going to finally give us the Kylo training with Snoke and Knights of Ren backstory. I think it's still scheduled for release in December.

For the folks following the Marvel canon comics, they're ending all the current Star Wars and associated titles (like Aphra) in December with a final tie-in issue that leads up to 'Empire Strikes Back'. In this way the current Star Wars run filled in the stories between Ep 4 and 5. In January Marvel is relaunching Star Wars with a new #1 jumping on point (not surprising) and fill in the stories between Empire and Jedi. No other comics have been announced yet during this time period, but I'm really hoping Dr. Aphra is still around in some way after Empire. While her character was a new creation for the comics, she's quickly become a big fan favorite. I really hope they don't kill her off in December ...
I love Aphra and I'm crossing my fingers you're right!

As far as the movie, I'm really looking forward to it and we already have our tickets for a Thursday evening showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter