• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the "Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker" is going to fail camp ..... (for those who find following the "naysayers" entertaining (like me)).

There was reports that pre-sales for episode IX were doing well and pre-sales in the first hour was outselling pre-sales of the first hour of Endgame.

So the negative nancies have YouTube video after YouTube video saying the numbers aren't "legit".
Now . .i will admit saying "first hour sales" are breaking records is probably is just marketing doing their job. You can cherry pick statitistics to get them to say what you want. FOMO is real and is a marketing strategy now.

I have never seen a more concentrated effort to try and destroy a franchise (that they supposedly love).

That being said .. I enjoyed the trailer and how it isn't giving away too much of the story .. and thanks to posters above mentioning the comic series .. I will have to check it out. The Marvel Star Wars comics are pretty hit and miss, but something that fills in the blanks between movies is nice.

My son and I read Star Wars Adventures (comic) together and they will be having some issues leading up to it.
Here is a list of other items:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_Star_Wars#The_Rise_of_Skywalker
I have nothing against Star Wars, and hope to see IX opening weekend, but...
1st hour numbers could absolutely be better.

Remember, AMC’s Internet servers (and possibly others) couldn’t handle Endgame’s volume and basically sold nothing for hours.
About 5 hours in AMC shut down their web ordering and only allowed Fandango purchases. AMC’s website wasn’t available until 12 hours after tickets became available.

2-3 hours after opening, my co-worker physically went to the AMC theater to buy his tickets because online was still down. (There only looked to be 1 or 2 groups that got tickets to our 1st IMAX before him.)

I am wondering has anyone heard of anything on any special events for the opening weekend for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker anywhere at Disney World?

I know in the past DHS had Galactic Nights for opening weekend of new Star Wars movies. However, usually tickets for such an event would have already started to be sold and this is the first Star Wars movie after Galaxy's Edge being opened.

I wish Disney would do at least an After Hours event at the minimum. Like it is lost easy money for them, but I guess it is not my problem.

I already got my tickets for the Star Wars Marathon at Disney Springs, which will be showing all 9 episodic movies.

I was hoping they'd do something too since this is my first time being down here during a Star Wars release and they've done it for the others. I booked at a different theater since I don't really care for the seats at Disney Springs, but if they had announced a connection to an after hours event then I would have booked there instead.

Marvel just started releasing a limited comic series, 'Star Wars: Allegiance', that leads up to Ep 9 and tells the story of how Leia and the few remaining rebels go about recruiting new allies. All 4 issues should be released by the end of the month. So far it's not too bad. It's not critical reading, but it is helping to fill in the blanks a bit.

I'm enjoying it (will pick up 3 of 4 today, actually).

The Star Wars comic I'm really looking forward to is 'The Rise of Kylo Ren'. Pretty sure it's 4 or 5 issues and going to finally give us the Kylo training with Snoke and Knights of Ren backstory. I think it's still scheduled for release in December.

The Rise of Kylo Ren is 4 issues and debuts on December 18th, I believe. It's on my pull list.

Same. I have tickets for opening night. I hate trying to avoid spoilers, it's just easier. And I preview it for my kids.

I hated the prequel trilogy until the third act of Attack of the Clones. I'm too nostalgic with the original trilogy, so I try to not compare anything with it. I liked TFA, really enjoyed TLJ (except Canto Bight and Superwoman Leia). I have high hopes for IX, only because I think they really know they have to right the ship for everyone involved.

Phantom Menace has been growing on me a lot.

Still think Attack of the Clones is quite literally the worst movie of all time.

but I'm really hoping Dr. Aphra is still around in some way after Empire. While her character was a new creation for the comics, she's quickly become a big fan favorite. I really hope they don't kill her off in December ...

No way Aphra doesn't come back. Good luck trying to write her out, she'll just keep coming back.

I think she is the Mara Jade of the new canon. Fan favorite.

I have nothing against Star Wars, and hope to see IX opening weekend, but...
1st hour numbers could absolutely be better.

Remember, AMC’s Internet servers (and possibly others) couldn’t handle Endgame’s volume and basically sold nothing for hours.
About 5 hours in AMC shut down their web ordering and only allowed Fandango purchases. AMC’s website wasn’t available until 12 hours after tickets became available.

2-3 hours after opening, my co-worker physically went to the AMC theater to buy his tickets because online was still down. (There only looked to be 1 or 2 groups that got tickets to our 1st IMAX before him.)

From Variety:

Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Rise of the Skywalker” has racked up the best first day of advance ticket sales for a “Star Wars” movie ticketed by Atom.
Sales launched during the half time of ESPN’s “Monday Night Football.” Atom’s overall first-day record was set in April by Disney-Marvel’s “Avengers: Endgame.” But “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” did set a first-hour record Monday night, selling 45% more tickets than “Endgame” did in its first hour.

Me and 3 friends got our tickets for Thursday night the 19th at 9:45. Going to be a rough Friday morning at work but it's been a tradition of ours now for the last few big Marvel and Star Wars movies since TFA came out to see a late show the Thursday night they come out.

Maybe the Falcon needs a new brain and he volunteers? So he still exists, just doesn't have eyes anymore.
Hopefully not a spoiler, but I'm pretty sure that was put in the trailer as misdirection and he doesn't die at all. Actually, in the movie 3PO goes crazy and kills his "friends"
C-3PO's memory was wiped after Jedi but doesn't mean memories aren't buried there ... and Babu, the creature seen working on him can "reprogram or modify virtually any droid " ... so I think they need to get informaiton that 3PO has buried and do to so they have to return his system to before it was wiped (and that is what Babu is doing) but by doing so he will lose all the memories that happens since then - so he will no longer know his "friends" after this is accomplished

All of these have opened me to other ideas. When seeing the first trailer when his eyes turn red and then seeing this trailer my theory was that they reprogram him to be a spy (although he may be the most recognizable droid in the galaxy). Now though I think Lando's return and the possible reprogramming have something to do with being the mainframe for the Falcon.

I am not sure what info Threepio may have from before his last reformatting that would be beneficial after all this time but who knows.

Me and 3 friends got our tickets for Thursday night the 19th at 9:45. Going to be a rough Friday morning at work but it's been a tradition of ours now for the last few big Marvel and Star Wars movies since TFA came out to see a late show the Thursday night they come out.

All of these have opened me to other ideas. When seeing the first trailer when his eyes turn red and then seeing this trailer my theory was that they reprogram him to be a spy (although he may be the most recognizable droid in the galaxy). Now though I think Lando's return and the possible reprogramming have something to do with being the mainframe for the Falcon.

I am not sure what info Threepio may have from before his last reformatting that would be beneficial after all this time but who knows.
L3-37 was already uploaded to the Falcon as shown in the Solo film. C-3PO too?

That is true but there may be reason for C3PO to need to be uploaded, perhaps as a means to communicate on some other level with the fleet.
Might be cool if Lando came up with a C-3PO upload idea based on his experience/feelings with L3-37 earlier.

i think the movie is going to make a ton of money, but I’m not buying these numbers. I just checked my local Marcus and AMC theaters and didn’t see one sold out showing opening night. Lots of available seats. Opening night for Endgame was already sold out for every opening showing at this point near me.

i think the movie is going to make a ton of money, but I’m not buying these numbers. I just checked my local Marcus and AMC theaters and didn’t see one sold out showing opening night. Lots of available seats. Opening night for Endgame was already sold out for every opening showing at this point near me.
The only open shows on Thursday at my fav theater are for close to midnight. 4 rooms for the 7pm show are totally sold out. We aren’t going until Friday, dec 20 at 4:30 but there are plenty seats open for that one.

It's outsold every Star Wars movie...but as an example, Endgame is known to have sold $10+ million more on its opening day than any other movie...so, it's definitely lower than Endgame...

And in 2019, presales have gotten hugely significant this year thanks to the new Regal (summer 2019) and AMC subscription plans (fall 2018) which allow prebuys (both new since the last saga movie)...so, it's doing well, but it's not gangbuster gangbusters...at least not yet...

Endgame is the largest box office of all time. Not sure comparing Star Wars 9 to Endgame is a good comparison. From reports so far, it is outpacing the previous 2 Star Wars. So instead of making 2.5 billion at the box office it "only" does 2 billion, not sure this would make Disney all that upset. On a different front, watched the trailer with 8yr old grand son and he was really excited. Some of his interpretations were purely delightful. Cannot wait to take him to this movie.

Endgame is the largest box office of all time. Not sure comparing Star Wars 9 to Endgame is a good comparison. From reports so far, it is outpacing the previous 2 Star Wars. So instead of making 2.5 billion at the box office it "only" does 2 billion, not sure this would make Disney all that upset. On a different front, watched the trailer with 8yr old grand son and he was really excited. Some of his interpretations were purely delightful. Cannot wait to take him to this movie.
Oh for sure you can't compare the two and you certainly can't expect every big movie to make Endgame numbers. It likely will be a while before that is topped again.

It's outsold every Star Wars movie...but as an example, Endgame is known to have sold $10+ million more on its opening day than any other movie...so, it's definitely lower than Endgame...

And in 2019, presales have gotten hugely significant this year thanks to the new Regal (summer 2019) and AMC subscription plans (fall 2018) which allow prebuys (both new since the last saga movie)...so, it's doing well, but it's not gangbuster gangbusters...at least not yet...
It feels that expectations are down .. I feel my local theatre had every screen tuned to episode VIII on the Thursday night opening. That doesn't seem to be the case this time.

In the end.. Star Wars wont beat out Endgame .. I just dont think it has the pull. I could be wrong. Unfortunately episodes VII and VIII were written too much to be standalone movies (with VII essentially being a reboot) and didnt build up the HOW IS THIS GOING TO END hype like Endgame did with Infinity War. Episode VIII did a poor job as the middle part of a trilogy. It did not have a huge cliffhanger to make audiences wonder - what happens next in the same way Han being frozen in Carbonite or The SNAP did for those movies.

JJ should have just done all three movies ..at least there would have been some cohesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter