Storm Watch: Hurricane Sandy

Just finished my long run along the Hudson. The river is VERY choppy and water was beginning to splash up onto the ground. Scary to think we live just a block away, but there's a huge hill that lifts our neighborhood up out of the evacuation zone.

I'm sitting here hoping for the best. I just got back from France with my husband Thursday night and the first thing my Mom told me after we picked up the cat to go home was about this storm and the hype is getting worse as it approaches and since I had no food in the house since I've been away for 3 weeks in Europe my poor husband and I had to go shopping with everyone else in preparation. Usually we are pretty stocked. Thankfully we did some shopping early yesterday morning and we have all the essentials. We should be good for at least a week.

I had to turn off the news it's annoying me too much. All I can do is sit and wait for it to pass, however long that is. I do hope it's not as bad as it's being predicted to be but if it is I do hope everyone is safe and the power doesn't go out, or if it does not for long. I no longer regret my huge purchase from Shakespeare and Company though. ;)

Be careful and stay safe everyone in the path! I'll be praying for you all
I'm not going to have any weather issues here in MN this week! I'll probably ask you to return the favor in January or February when we have a big blizzard!

Winds are starting to kick up in NJ. So far gusts to 21 with no rain yet. The beaches are getting hammered with waves. I saw a picture of point pleasant and it looks like they're washing over the boardwalk already.

Coastal Virginia checking in....it isn't too bad here...very much like a noreaster...but the news said the worst is yet to come as the storm makes it's turn.....we have some areas that are flooded (mandatory evacuations were called yesterday for low lying areas) and VDOT is asking for those that don't have to go out to stay home and off of the roads. Lucky for me, I live within walking distance from my job so I did come into work today, as did a few others, but we don't plan to stay all day. All the schools and government offices are closed.

Stay safe everyone !!!!

Around 9 CT towns along the shore line have mandatory evacuations in parts of the town and a handful of others have voluntary evacuations. We live about an hour from the shore. So far, we have tolerable winds and some misting, but that's about it. It won't hit us until later. Stay safe everyone!

ETA: Apparently, we'll only get wind in CT, not much rain. We'll see if that forecast stays the same.

Stay safe, everyone.

We're in eastern KY, so we'll get snow and wind - but a few inches, not a few feet...

Windy and raining here just outside of Allentown PA. I'm a ball of nerves - I kept waking up every time there was a big gust last night. Sooooo hoping that my windows and roof hold out!

I'm pretty stocked with water and nonperishables. Was hoping to find a lantern, which I did, but it's a propane lantern. Couldn't find any propane canisters though so the lantern will go back to store when this is all over.

Stay safe everyone!

Checking in from Florida...

We've had a bit of a change in the last few days.

Woke up to 50 degree weather. Havent had this in a very long time.

I'm watching this thread and it's our way of keeping track of y'all.

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's nice to know you are safe.

John's assistant, Kathleen, sent an email this morning and I think it's perfect.

She said, "know one understands what you are going through better than your Florida family".

I think that says it all.

Please continue to keep us updated.

I have a very large bag of Halloween chocolate! I don't think many kids will be out on Wednesday (with the storm damage and the fact that there have been about 18 attempts to lure kids around our area in the past 2 months. There is already and 8 pm curfew for Tuesday and Wednesday) maybe I should start in on it now!

I have a very large bag of Halloween chocolate! I don't think many kids will be out on Wednesday (with the storm damage and the fact that there have been about 18 attempts to lure kids around our area in the past 2 months. There is already and 8 pm curfew for Tuesday and Wednesday) maybe I should start in on it now!

And if you do get kids on Halloween....you could always just write them a check.::yes::

The winds have picked up significantly since this morning here in Jersey. Several towns by my parents are already flooded and the storm hasn't even gotten started. They also said on the news that over 12,000 in NJ are already without power.

In NYC, mass transit has been shut down as well as Wall Street. They just said on ABC that if the stock exchange doesn't open tomorrow it'll be the first time since 1888 that it was closed for two days due to weather conditions.

It's going to be a long 36 hours!

We are safe (so far) here in Plymouth. Latest look at NWS shows the storm kind of making a big loop around us. Our local forecast is for heavy winds (50ish) late today into tonight.

I'm fortunate I retired from the power company though. I would be doing "storm duty" if I was still working.

Hunkering down....

Just saw these pics on FB...

Downtown Atlantic City:

546970_10152249993175122_1087303981_n.jpg

Keyport Waterfront:

416844_10152249967280122_1713446663_n.jpg

West Front Street in Keyport:

318736_10151118175903595_1000582304_n.jpg

Wildwood:

320399_10152249962075122_2064786839_n.jpg

Atlantic Highlands:

304411_10151226632579153_1142912918_n.jpg

I'm afraid my father-in-law is going to be evacuated, and we'll have to go get him 120 mile round-trip in a hurricane isn't sounding like a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter