• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell us your favorite DVC Secret, Tip, Place or lesson

Tigger031266

DIS Veteran
I know this has been done before but maybe it has changed with SSR. My favorite DVC place is the beach at BCV. Perfect sand facing and always facing the sun. It is the kids favorite place and they love to take their shoes off. Best of all the view of the BW is spectacular.

My best Tip is for the men or women that love sports. If you love sports and are staying in BCV of BWV offer to pick up some food from ESPN. You wtach the game and get the food to go. Its a fun walk. I know its not much of a tip but I am hoping that you guys know more.

Thanks!

If this has been done before on dvc level I've missed it and would love to see the responses!

Let's see....some my dvc tips would be:

1. Even if you don't do a grocery stop you can pick up a few things in the "general" stores of your resort. Even though a 2 liter of coke is something like $3.00--it's still cheaper than buying four or five drinks(and you can probably get more drink out of it than that). Our last trip we didn't do the grocery stop because we got in so late, but the next day I ordered pizza from Spoodles, walked down to the general store while they were cooking it and picked up chips and salsa, drinks, and snack items and it was still cheaper than buying individual snacks.

2. Be flexible. With DVC, you know you'll be back, so you can have an overall plan, but you don't have to be commando about it.

My 2 cents is to sit back, relax and enjoy the adventure.

Tips or things that we do to make our vacations enjoyable and rewarding are to * always book a dinner meal for each night.
* Go food shopping just prior to check-in, so we have food and snacks for kids.
* Try to do World Showcase at least twice in 10 day trip (I think WS is one of them most romantic places a dusk and after dark at WDW.
* Schedule a parents only date with DH one out of the 10 day stays.
* Make time for pool or BB or TL.
* Do at least one E-ticket on the trip.
* Take as many boat rides as I can (use of transportation instead of buses, etc)
* Do one pool hop on the trip
* Bring as little clothes as possible (and use in-room washer/dryer)
* Bring two or three pairs of sandals (to avoid blisters and retain comfort)
* Don't overeat or eat greasy or overly rich foods
* Enduldge only in the things I really want or miss.

That's it for now.

We enjoy relaxing at the leisure pool facing Downtown Disney at SSR. It is so peaceful and just a great place to sit and enjoy the Disney magic. Our three year old really likes the small playground near the pool also. Here are a few pictures at sunset from our last trip:

F-CMWjFo1ZNnRn0g4wo8c_

F-CMWjFo1ZNnRnEg4wo8cz

F-CMWjFo1ZNnRnAg4wo8cy

F-CMWjFo1ZNnRm8g4wo8c8

Take time to smell the roses. If you don't get to it on this trip, there is always the next trip. DVC is the best. Enjoy!! :earboy2:

Hi,

Relax & have a good time!!! Sleep in & do what you want!!

Allison

On our way in from the airport we buy those little bottles of water with the water-bottle nipples, and freeze them in the DVC kitchen. On a hot day they feel great in a fanny pack or rubbed on a forehead. They slowly melt to provide icewater as an alternative to expensive glasses of soda. And they can be refilled from the tap day after day.

I think my best tip is one from these boards. I fax our grocery order down and pick up our order on our way in from the airport. Even if our room has not been ready, the resort will hold the groceries for you, plus you don't have to waste precious vacation time in a grocery store! I love that!

Plus, a great tip is to take advantage of the Disney story time they have on the t.v. at night for little ones. Our kids are usually off the wall because of all the excitement but as soon as we put that on the room t.v. they settle in and it calms them down. They usually listen to one story and then it's lights out (for them!).

Also, I second what another poster said, the best tips are here on the DIS. I have learned so much and we've done so much we wouldn't have known about otherwise.

My favorite "tip" is to plan a stay at home evening during your trip. At the BCV we have had a "pool party". One time we had pizza delivered by Papa Johns, and we supplied the salad and drinks. The other time we grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and supplemented these with fruit and potatoe salad. We really enjoyed ourselves. We take the auto train, so we are able to bring a cooler. Otherwise, you could pick up a cheapie styrofoam one for a couple dollars. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. Sandie B

I'd echo what other have said in that DIS members seem to know and share all the tips/tricks. My two favorite tips so far have been...

Buying a "Passporter" - It is a pouch which hangs from your neck that has 3 pockets. It holds your room room key, license, cc's, park tickets, money and is semi-waterproof. We got these initially as a joke and ended up loving them. Truly a good recommendation.

Staying at other WDW resorts on the weekends to save points (we get an extra trip a year by doing this) - but it looks like WDW has caught on to this as the latest discount codes don't seem to apply to Fri/Sat nights. Hope this is not permenant?!

Use Netflix for DVD's for the movie dates... and drop in the mail. Have the 10 a.m. return policy - we sleep in !!

also, my SIL recommends renting games from Blockbuster (something like $20 / month). The kids love it (3 of them), they share, and when bored with it it's returned.

Third tip is to buy some of the bagged salads. After a week at Disney, get kinda burned out on the hamburgers. Just want a nice salad.

Leave one day completely open. Nothing scheduled so you can just hang out without any schedule hanging over your head. Then be spontaneous.

Get out on the boardwalk at 7am. I can't explain why. Just try it and you'll know what I mean.

Get a fireworks/parade seat at the train station, upstairs first row. Get there REAL early. It's worth the wait.

Same for Illuminations. Front seat with only the railing between you and the lake. It's a different show from that perspective.

Walk. You will see parts of WDW that only few see.

#pm every day at the land in Epcot they have a sundae fest for everyone.........not too many people seem to know about it but my kids love it..........also ever since they opened the leave a legacy we get the kids a picture made and they always hold up a sign witht he date on it to remember the date...........evertime we go back they want to go see all the pictures so they remember the magic.............My 18 yr old say she cant wait to show it to her kids when she has them in about ten yrs

My wife would like to add:

- Try eating at the castle (Cinderella's table) for lunch - great atmophere, usually a character, good food and a great place to rest
- use the water mites (boats) at a MK resort, they are way faster then anywhere else
- On rainy days try the comunity halls
- when staying at the bwv always reqest a room close to the lobby, the halls are long
- those AP scanners that you put your fingers in really don't seem to do anything. my wife and i trade ap tickets all the time and no one says anything.

After replying to a "wishes cruise" post previously and receiving much feedback, I didnt realize this was such a good "tip" but apparently it is, so I'll add it here also...

When requesting a "wishes cruise" ask for the new 25 foot pontoon boat as opposed to the 18 or 21 foot pontoons. The 25 foot boats have the music piped into the boat. This allows you "volume control" over the shows audio. I am uncertain if all the resort marina's have these yet but the Poly does for sure as we were on one back in Dec.

-Pack light and use the W/D in the room.
-Pack several pairs of shoes to change into.
-Take time to "smell the roses" 'cuz you'll be back many times.
-Invite guests who have never done WDW before (GREAT fun)
-If you know others staying, have a "dinner party" in your unit.
-plan a DIS meet! Love this one!
-ride the boat to DTD and SSR from OKW.
-Stroll the path to DTD.
-taken in Illuminations as many nights as you can (we usually do at least 3-4)

On our last day, I do the laundry and pack all clean clothes - leaving our home away from home stinks more than enough, thank you, but to make it worse by going home to loads of laundry...it's so much easier a "re-entry" into reality to just go home and put things into dressers.

around the holidays, participate in the christmas tree pass. we did it during our first trip home at BWV. it was so nice to have the tree in our room, and to know we're now a part of such a large DVC family!

Take advantage of the big Whirlpool Tub in the bath room for a soak and your favorite cocktail :love: :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter