• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell us your favorite DVC Secret, Tip, Place or lesson

Tips (or my favorite things)

Pizza delivered at least one nite during the trip
eat our way around the world (we buy one or two edible item(s) at each country and we share-5 of us)
The break between park visits with a cold beer on the balcony and a relaxing dip in the pool.
The last day hit all the parks, for one last trip on our favorite rides

Hey BostonDisneyKid, bringing back childhood memories - mom and dad are from lynn

Happy New Year All

The4OfUs said:
On our last day, I do the laundry and pack all clean clothes - leaving our home away from home stinks more than enough, thank you, but to make it worse by going home to loads of laundry...it's so much easier a "re-entry" into reality to just go home and put things into dressers.

Great idea and a fabulous way to take advantage of our villas and their amenities. :)

1. If there at Christmas time, in addition to the Tree pass, bring/buy lights and put them around your patio/windows for extra cheer.
2. Pack an inexpensive little air freshener for your room - you get a wonderful fragrance every time you come back in, and it makes the whole place just feel even more custom and homelike.
3. Take advantage of large portions at restaurants and have them for lunch the next day.
4. Indulge in your favorite pint of ice cream, a great magazine or book, and lots of bubbles in the tub.
5. Get a special dessert from one of the resort restaurants to go (ie: Berry Cobbler from Artist Point) and sit on the deck, share, and enjoy!
6. I second the bedtime stories for children my tip would be the plan we have for next time - if in a room with a VCR, bring a tape to record and bring home...your children can have WDW bedtime stories any night of the year.
7. Take video and photos of your room to show friends and family the second you walk in - I learned from experience that moments after we get there, the pristine neatness and perfect order transforms into "homey" and "lived in" :earboy2:
8. Peek at your DVC card on occasion with glee and remind yourself daily "We'll be back!" (Am I the only one who does this??) Say "We can go there/do that next time" and know that you're not blowing smoke...you mean it.

Hmmm...

A DTD day is a must. My kids think it's the 5th park (and it doesn't even require a ticket! Unless you count the shopping bills, of course :) ) Pack a lunch or grab a sandwich at Earl's and eat out by the water. Let the kids build and race the car of their dreams at LEGO. Check out the cool pins, Disney merchandise, or toys. Grab a Ghirardelli sundae (or a margarita) and let the kids romp in the fountains (we always have 'em put their bathing suits on under a cover-up or shorts/tee and bring a towel for drying off!) It's a laid back day with minimal walking -- good rest for tired toes! Follow it up with a swim in the pool and dinner at a resort -- a great no-parks fun day!

Speaking of resorts -- we always go visiting other resorts just for fun! Sometimes it's a DVC resort (checking it out for next trip!) Or maybe it's just revisiting an "old friend" and remembering a past trip. YEs, we are also pool hoppers, thanks to DVC, but even if that privelege were lifted (which I suspect it might be in the near future) we would still visit other resorts. We're just noey like that, I guess -- wanna see how the rest of WDW lives!

Bring along folks (qualifier -- folks that you actually LIKE). But don't spend every minute with them -- divide up for a day, then get together at night and discuss your time apart! It's like getting 2 experiences for the price of one.

"Great Dates" This is for you parents out there -- have a date with your spouse. Go to Swan/Dolphin -- if you dine at Shula's, for example, you get 2 hrs complimentary childcare in Dolphin Club for your kids (for us, that was a $60+ savings! Free childcare, the kids had dinner, made crafts and used the arcades, and basically had a blast!) DH and I NEVER go out at home and it was amazing how blissful a dinner together in the middle of our vacation could be! Along the same lines -- have a date with a kid. (Your own kid, I mean, although if someone needs to borrow one, I could possibly help you out) This is especially great if you have more than one of the little muskrats! My dd gets the biggest kick out of Mom/Daughter day, and the boys loved going to DQ with their dad. DH and I always try to snag a few hours here and there alone with each kid doing something they uniquely love. It is one-on-one time you will NOT forget and neither will your child.

This may not be for some folks, and you can call us crazy, but we like to dine in now and then. Contrary to rumor, the kitchen is not a prop -- the fixtures and appliances actually do work, but it doesn't have to be HARD work! 15 minutes in a kitchen is time well spent if we can kick back, take our sneakers off and relax to eat while soaking up the ambiance. After all, what good is a room with a view if you never view anything out of it?

Just a few tips we've collected through our travels... And just in case anything DOES go wrong on your trip, make sure you have a resilient attitude and a sense of humor on hand... of course, some choice dip,chips and a couple Corona won't hurt, either.

I am really a DVC novice still with only one trip under my belt! Looking forward to many more :cool1:

I have so enjoyed this thread, however, so if you stay at OKW, be sure to get a snack the birds will also enjoy. We picked up oyster crackers and another family used Cheerios; the birds were fun to watch and feed!

Thanks,
Lisa :flower:

Pack an inexpensive little air freshener for your room - you get a wonderful fragrance every time you come back in, and it makes the whole place just feel even more custom and homelike.

That would be my tip too! We used Renuzit (the old style that you twist open). Pine scent was perfect for VWL and spiced cherry at SSR. I put what was left under the seat in our van and it reminds me of home!

At SSR my tip would be that Mousekeeping will place a basket of supplies outside of your door on T&T day. I mistakenly thought that meant it was a do it yourself thing and pulled the basket into our room. I was wondering why it was so overstocked! Anyway we left and when we came back Mk had serviced our room and removed the basket. So they will leave a basket outside your door, but that is because they dont use service carts so they will still service the room. :blush:

If you are in a studio, you will have a supply of plastic cutlery and paper plates. If you are staying a week or longer take at least 1 set of real cutlery as a real knife will come in handy to cut/peel fruit a spoon to stir hot beverages etc. We had 1 real fork and i was so glad we had it.

Also, a pair of scissors. Scissors came in very handy to cut tags from clothes, and to cut off those wrist bands from MVMCP (the same ones they will use for extra evening hours too) that are medical grade and cant be pulled off. We used the scissors often during our stay.

Take an inflatable bath pillow to really enjoy soaking in the tub.
You can find these at Dollar Tree.

I have enjoyed all of the secrets posted, here are some of ours...

- Pack light, and use the washer and dryer.

- We pack our stuff in a box and UPS down to our resort to eliminate checked luggage.

- Go slow and take your time. We always stop for lunch while in the parks. And
with little ones, we usually go back for afternoon naps (good for the grownups too).

- Visit other resorts.

- Always have the farewell dinner at Chef Mickeys

- Remember this is a vacation- RELAX!!

- Check the DIS boards for lots of other tips, secrets, and ideas

Code:
 Always have the farewell dinner at Chef Mickeys

I totally agree, we do this every time.

One other tip that I think will really help some people. For those of you that have little ones to young to go into Disney Child care clubs. If you don't have a child old enough to baby sit or anyone else along dont be afraid to use the Fairy God Mother service. This is a non-Disney service for babysitting. We have used them 2 times and have just been way pleased.

We are always very nervious but they always send people that you know you can trust. We have always gotten younger (but not too young) females that appear very professional and trustworthy. I know that there is always that little fear in everyones mind that someone will steal your kids but these people have background checks and are certified in medical emergencies probibly better than myself. I look at that as making up for the 1 in a billion chance they are not a trustworthy person. I know this is a scarry decision but just for the people out there on the fence, they were great.

It gives you time to get a date for yourselves, which is required in every trip.

Downtown Disney at night is fantastic.
Also pool hopping was alot more fun then I anticipated. It's a great way to see where you may want to stay next.

These are all great tips. We're hoping for our first trip home this October and will definitely use them.

I was telling DH about what I was looking forward to about DVC and VWL. I would love to have a nice glass of sine and sit on the beach watching the Electrical Water Pagent go by. (One of DH's favourites since childhood)

We always cook a couple of nice meals in the room. That's what makes it feel like home to us instead of a hotel room. It doesn't have to be much. Pasta with some bread from the boardwalk bakery is great. Pick up a bottle of wine in Italy in WS to go with it. Buy a whole pie/cake from the boardwalk bakery to keep in your room in case of emergency :).

My kids love the community halls and other resorts things as much as the parks. They love playing games in the iron spike room, playing on the beach at BCV, taking boat rides, etc. We always build time in for that.

Can we pool hop to non-DVC resorts?? We've done all the DVC resorts, but I was thinking we could try the Poly or something this trip. We want to have lunch at Kona anyway.

I think the best tip is to slow down. Once you *really* realize that you're coming back again and again, you slow down and enjoy the vacations more. We don't do everything on each trip--no need. And we definitely do more outside the four parks now--water park, mini golf, arcades at different resorts, petting zoo at FW, boardwalk entertainment at night, stuff like that.

Make a master packing list and hold on to it. Look over it when you get back each time, make any adjustments you want, and tuck it away for the next trip. It makes planning and packing so much easier.

And I hadn't realized that you could fax a shopping list down and pick up your order. What stores do that??? Publix?? That would be great.

You know what's best?! We leave for our next trip in 5 weeks and I'm not in that stupic panic mode I used to get in for vacations. I know what to expect from the room (even though we switch DVC resorts each time), I know what to pack, I made a few PS's but didn't go overboard, I know the kind of extras I want to bring (premeasured laundry soap in baggies, some cleaning wipes, stuff like that) and I'm not worried about crowds, weather, etc. It feels GREAT. I know we'll have a good time no matter what happens, and if we don't get to some things we can always do it next time.

I love DVC!! Jenny

One other tip is to plan at least one behind the scenes tour each trip. We have had a great time with these and often do them over again every couple of years. This January we plan to redo the Segway tour.

- Not all the resorts have them...but the Community Halls can be great resources (borrow movies, games; play games like ping pong; relax). It's a fun place to spend some time.

-Check out the schedule of DVC events and join in one. This is especially true at HHI and VB, but even the WDW resorts have excellent recreation staffs! GOOFY BINGO ROCKS! :earsboy:

Thanks! I've always wanted to play Goofy Bingo, but it's never been offered when I'm there (actually, I think DH's paying them off not to offer it because he's afraid I'll try to make him go!). I've only seen it at HHI. If we're staying at BCV or VWL, which doesn't have a community room, can we go over to the others and seewhen activities (particularly Goofy Bingo) are offered, then go and participate?

tinkgrl said:
Hi,

Relax & have a good time!!! Sleep in & do what you want!!

Allison

I had to quote Allison because this is definitely a benefit of being members. We no longer feel we need to go to the parks "commando" style because we know we will be back in the near future!

We enjoy walking from BCV to the Boardwalk and back. Of course, DH prefers to stop for an ice cream or piece of pastry!

Mini-golf at Fantasia. This is fun to do in the afternoon. If you go at night, make sure you bring bug repellent.

We like to walk around the shops at DTD and of course, I have to go to Wolfgang Puck for butternut squash soup.

We enjoy taking the ferry from YC/BC to Epcot/MGM. Sometimes, we don't even get off to go to a park.

Annmarie

Pick up lunch from Earl of Sandwich and then go rent a pontoon boat at the marina and go have lunch on the lake.

We pack up a copy-paper sized box of things that will not come home with us, snacks, laundry detergent, etc. and then we ship that box to the resort where we are staying. It sure takes a lot of the weight out of the luggage at the airport.

Have pizza delivered from Giordano's to the villa one night. Their pizza is the best and you don't have to spend a lot of time preparing meal, but still have a hot one.

If staying in a studio, I take my own paper plates, etc. I then bring home the really cute Disney ones that are in the studio and use them at our real home or at my office. Reminds us of our trip.

These are all great tips - my best friend and I will be staying at Wilderness Lodge - studio villa - in September.

Any tips for 2 40something girls??

This is a great thread...I am really enjoying all the great tips!
I do have one question though. What is the "Christmas Tree Pass"?

To DisneyFanRI......

I think Jellyrolls, a Dueling Piano Bar, at the Boardwalk would be a fun evening.

Pack a small DVD player (and movies) for use the master bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter