The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

We do the same, I am amazed at the people who do not tip anything at all!
Many years back, when I first stayed concierge, it was such a splurge and I honestly had no idea you were supposed to tip! It never even occurred to me then.

It does seem to me that the large amount extra you pay for concierge should include a percentage for the workers. That would make it a lot easier for the guests but difficult to know if the workers are being well compensated.

We do the same, I am amazed at the people who do not tip anything at all!
Some countries do not tip in general, and Disney really should pay more for the "tipped" rolls so guests don't feel odd not knowing what or who to tip. It may be international visitors staying who honestly don't know how much USA is tip based.

I won't derail the thread but I agree for the Concierge/club level prices they should include gratuity pay for all Cast Members. It's literally hundreds of dollars more per night for light snacks and drinks.

Last edited:
I’d love to hear from return guests… what are your favorite things about the Disneyland Hotel?
There are so many areas to explore! Lots and lots of memorabilia and history. Take some time to investigate the different parts of the hotel, because there are a number of locations most guests never venture into. I discovered some of them from attending conferences, and some because I'm a very early riser and go exploring when my family is asleep.

Of course I LOVE Trader Sam's! Love the outdoor fireplace, the island band that plays on the terrace, the entire tiki-lit lanai area, and the indoor bar. I like Tangaroa as well. You can sit on the terrace and go to the walk-up bar.

I think DLH has the best gift shop of the hotels. I always go there whether I'm staying at the hotel or not.

The vibe is very early Disneyland/SoCal so I'd say that's it's biggest draw for me.

I’d love to hear from return guests… what are your favorite things about the Disneyland Hotel?
I'll echo what others have said. Totally agree with the wonderful vibe of the resort. I love the early Disney feeling as well.

Also, this is just my personal opinion, but I dare say that DLH is better than GCH. I do love GCH because it's so luxurious feeling, but it's also closed in and expansive (to me). DLH has more of a vacation type of feeling. Sort of like you're in Hawaii, but also steps from the Happiest Place on Earth!

ETA: there are also multiple cats that call DLH their home. That's a plus in my book at least. There is a super sweet little guy that hangs out near Adventure Tower. A CM told me his name was Ned. I wanted to take him home 😻

What isn't to love? There are the large rooms, big windows, gorgeous lighted headboards, fabulous CMs, amazing selection of food and drinks from Club Level, fun monorail slide, cabanas, gift shops with good selection, beautiful garden, a very quiet and calm atmosphere. It's such an amazing hotel to experience, we love it.

It's literally hundreds of dollars more per night for light snacks and drinks.
I think it's debatable on the "light" part. When we were there, they served quesadillas, chicken skewers, potstickers, quiches, coconut shrimp, etc. It was enough to make a full meal most of the time. It's a bit lighter during the lunch/midday time, but they still served a crudité platter and chips/salsa/hummus. Plus, you can get unlimited sparking wine, beer, and soft drinks. For us, I'm not just paying for the food/drinks, I'm also paying for the increased dedicated service (CL CMs, turndown service). It's more of a total package, which I think is fairly decent at the $250-300 extra per night price.

When you think about how many CMs are dedicated to just CL guests, the cost would need to be much higher to pay for a wage that would be what they get now + tips that the few guests that do give them to balance out. When we were there in December, there were 3-4 CMs on the floor restocking, cleaning, organizing, chatting with guests, another set of CMs comes in for the later shift. That was on top of the two concierge CMs. So, a total of maybe 10 CMs per day (lowballing it) dedicated to just CL guests. Now, you have to add in the cost of food that is brought in, the drinks that are available in the fridge, the liquor in the back. And all of that for an average of 3-4 people per room. I would consider the cost to be pretty good for what is being offered.

I won't derail the thread but I agree for the Concierge/club level prices they should include gratuity pay for all Cast Members. It's literally hundreds of dollars more per night for light snacks and drinks.
I agree about the club level. Gratuity should be included for the extra you are charged. I should clarify my statement as “in general” I’m surprised at how many people don’t tip, and at DLR I’ve observed it with wait services, bell services and housecleaning (mainly via conversation with house cleaning staff). I’m also amazed at the people who just totally destroy their rooms (observed walking down the hallways ). Some of those rooms look like some rock band stayed in them 😝

Definitely the headboards! DH and I also just love wandering around and looking at the art, dioramas, etc. in the tower lobbies and all the public areas. I've never been to a conference there; it was raining on the day we were checking out in December, so we went up and just looked at everything on the walls.

I'll echo what others have said. Totally agree with the wonderful vibe of the resort. I love the early Disney feeling as well.

Also, this is just my personal opinion, but I dare say that DLH is better than GCH. I do love GCH because it's so luxurious feeling, but it's also closed in and expansive (to me). DLH has more of a vacation type of feeling. Sort of like you're in Hawaii, but also steps from the Happiest Place on Earth!
I totally echo that opinion! DLH makes you want to wander around and explore the resort, and it has the advantage of having less park guest traffic in the immediate vicinity. I'd stay at either, but I prefer DLH's vibe.

Question...if you book the DTD view or whatever it is called, is that guarantee you will be in the Adventure Tower? Seems to me there would be no DTD views from the other two, but I could be wrong! LOL

Question...if you book the DTD view or whatever it is called, is that guarantee you will be in the Adventure Tower? Seems to me there would be no DTD views from the other two, but I could be wrong! LOL
Yes! It's also often considered premium view.

Anyone else booked for the new DVC tower? We waffled back and forth between a DVC room and a standard club room for our November trip. I thought I made up my mind with club level, but the excitement and newness of the DVC tower won out. I came across this video by Disney that has a tour of the current site (posted a few weeks ago). About 7 minutes in, they show a model room! Just wanted to share for anyone else staying soon 😊

Anyone else booked for the new DVC tower? We waffled back and forth between a DVC room and a standard club room for our November trip. I thought I made up my mind with club level, but the excitement and newness of the DVC tower won out. I came across this video by Disney that has a tour of the current site (posted a few weeks ago). About 7 minutes in, they show a model room! Just wanted to share for anyone else staying soon 😊

How do you book the new DVC tower?

How do you book the new DVC tower?
As far as I know right now it's just cash reservations. We were able to make them through the Disneyland website, like a normal onsite room. It'll appear in DLH room categories after the tower opening, September 28th.

Wow! I’ll have to admit I wasn’t a fan of the pictures I saw of the rooms. But seeing all the details in that video made me want to book a room!

Confirmation for everyone who asked if guests from other DLR hotels can use the GCH and PPH hotel theme park entrances. They are officially open to all DLR hotel guests. This was at the bottom of the email I received announcing the hotel discount.

Attachments

• F5F6EC72-25F6-43D6-8420-89B81EAD0B95.jpeg
    F5F6EC72-25F6-43D6-8420-89B81EAD0B95.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 60

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter