*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

What @Tomh said! Although the dis crew did go back to LTT recently and now do recommend it. It is one of our favorites as well.
Just got a crowd level update from TPs. All my park days went down. :cool1: (Aug 14-18)
And, while I don't put too much into crowd calendars, gives me a little hope. :)
Yeah-early August went down too. And free dining booking extended? Makes me really wonder about bookings, and people holding off till next fall for Galaxy edge.

Maybe the bounceback in August will be good then. Not that I have any intention of booking anything but for those that do...

Who is going early August?
My son said tonight he doesn't want to go again (he was just there in June, plus last Thanksgiving and August last year). So may end up just me and DH. We also did Universal in June. I'm kind of sad he doesn't want to go-we are taking a Disney break for at least 2 years. And that means we would be doing Slinky Dog without kids :rotfl:
OTOH-it is our Anniversary this trip, and it would be kinda nice to be kid free (bedsides the DCP kid). If he truly doesn't want to go may switch to POFQ the whole trip instead of split Pop/AKV-would be same price with kid's discount, and no hassle switching rooms. Decisions...

My crew checks in July 29th and we're there through August 6th

We are (so far) Aug 2 (may be 3rd) -9th, at Pop with 7-9 at AKV.

Yay to early August-countdown in the 20's now.

Finally went through a bag I'd thought I'd cleaned out when we got home in June (using it for trip to Chicago tomorrow) and fond my missing magic bands and fuel rod. Can't even think about Disney packing until later.

Heads up to you, August Friends: Since we were able to add an extra night (and our big family takes up 2 rooms), we have decided not to upgrade from QS to regular dining ($$). Therefore, I will be listing a bunch of reservations for a party of 7 on the cancelation thread with dates starting August 15.

Heads up to you, August Friends: Since we were able to add an extra night (and our big family takes up 2 rooms), we have decided not to upgrade from QS to regular dining ($$). Therefore, I will be listing a bunch of reservations for a party of 7 on the cancelation thread with dates starting August 15.
Is that a separate thread? Where would I find it? Sorry, I’m a newbie

Just got a crowd level update from TPs. All my park days went down. :cool1: (Aug 14-18)
And, while I don't put too much into crowd calendars, gives me a little hope. :)
I've gotten 3 pin codes for the early August time period and the hotel availability looks wide open even right now. I can book standard rooms at the Poly, GF, Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge all with a discount. Don't think I've ever seen that this late.

Hello again - here comes the part where I'm "finished" planning and start second-guessing everything a month before the trip! No one in my family wants to hear about this anymore, lol, so I thought I'd share a little about my plans and a question with you all. You can ignore me if you want - I'm used to it! :) We are traveling Aug. 18-25. "We" are myself, DH, DD 4, DS 8, and my parents (seniors). We're at the Contemporary Atrium Level Aug. 18-22, then at Cabana Bay at Universal Aug. 23-25. I won't talk about that part here! Our trip planning has been a bit of an adventure - we originally booked our trip for DECEMBER 19-25, which would have coincided with my 40th bday and our kids' school break. When we hit our 180-day mark, though, my mom and I were freaked out by the lack of options even six months out. We kept asking around and getting the "well, you picked the busiest week of the year to visit" response. So, we panicked, had a family summit, chose intense heat over intense crowds, and made the plunge to switch everything to August. It saved us some money, so we upgraded to club level to get the extra fastpass benefit (we were so scared about Christmas week crowds that we had mulled over the VIP tour, even though we definitely cannot afford it, so that made the club level perks seem downright affordable!). This is kind of a "dream" trip for us, since we don't get to go very often and my parents are getting older and think this might be their last Disney hurrah. So, we pulled out all of the stops.

Here's my main question: We're very into character meals, since we like eating and not standing in line to meet characters, but I'm nervous that we overdid it this time. We've never done CRT, and we were able to snag an 8am ADR (and this is the first Disney visit for my princess-obsessed 4-year-old). I had also booked a lunch at Akershus during our Epcot day, which is before our MK days. Do you think that will "spoil" the princess effect for my daughter if we've already done Akershus when we do CRT? I can't decide if you can't have too many princesses or if it will somehow ruin the special feeling of CRT. Will they definitely be different princesses or will there likely be repeats? I wish we had CRT first, but you take an 8am when you can get it!

Also: I would love to share some of our itineraries and get feedback, but I'm not sure this is the right place to do that. Any board veterans who can advise me on that?

Thanks! I am getting SO EXCITED. AND I get a little sneak peek in two weeks when my best friend and I sneak away for a girls trip. We used Hilton points for Buena Vista Palace, and we bought one day park hoppers and got free park hoppers for a day from her cousin who's a CM. It's a totally different kind of trip for me - little to no planning, no worrying about making kids or seniors happy, just wandering around enjoying. We don't even have the ability to book fast passes for the free day yet, so that will really be an adventure! I see this as a warm up trip for August (emphasis on the WARM, right?!).

You don't happen to have a 7:30 for Rose and Crown on Aug 18th, do you? I didn't think so . . . but I had to ask. Out of 2 weeks in Disney, this is the only ADR that eludes me lol.

Hello again - here comes the part where I'm "finished" planning and start second-guessing everything a month before the trip! No one in my family wants to hear about this anymore, lol, so I thought I'd share a little about my plans and a question with you all. You can ignore me if you want - I'm used to it! :) We are traveling Aug. 18-25. "We" are myself, DH, DD 4, DS 8, and my parents (seniors). We're at the Contemporary Atrium Level Aug. 18-22, then at Cabana Bay at Universal Aug. 23-25. I won't talk about that part here! Our trip planning has been a bit of an adventure - we originally booked our trip for DECEMBER 19-25, which would have coincided with my 40th bday and our kids' school break. When we hit our 180-day mark, though, my mom and I were freaked out by the lack of options even six months out. We kept asking around and getting the "well, you picked the busiest week of the year to visit" response. So, we panicked, had a family summit, chose intense heat over intense crowds, and made the plunge to switch everything to August. It saved us some money, so we upgraded to club level to get the extra fastpass benefit (we were so scared about Christmas week crowds that we had mulled over the VIP tour, even though we definitely cannot afford it, so that made the club level perks seem downright affordable!). This is kind of a "dream" trip for us, since we don't get to go very often and my parents are getting older and think this might be their last Disney hurrah. So, we pulled out all of the stops.

Here's my main question: We're very into character meals, since we like eating and not standing in line to meet characters, but I'm nervous that we overdid it this time. We've never done CRT, and we were able to snag an 8am ADR (and this is the first Disney visit for my princess-obsessed 4-year-old). I had also booked a lunch at Akershus during our Epcot day, which is before our MK days. Do you think that will "spoil" the princess effect for my daughter if we've already done Akershus when we do CRT? I can't decide if you can't have too many princesses or if it will somehow ruin the special feeling of CRT. Will they definitely be different princesses or will there likely be repeats? I wish we had CRT first, but you take an 8am when you can get it!

Also: I would love to share some of our itineraries and get feedback, but I'm not sure this is the right place to do that. Any board veterans who can advise me on that?

Thanks! I am getting SO EXCITED. AND I get a little sneak peek in two weeks when my best friend and I sneak away for a girls trip. We used Hilton points for Buena Vista Palace, and we bought one day park hoppers and got free park hoppers for a day from her cousin who's a CM. It's a totally different kind of trip for me - little to no planning, no worrying about making kids or seniors happy, just wandering around enjoying. We don't even have the ability to book fast passes for the free day yet, so that will really be an adventure! I see this as a warm up trip for August (emphasis on the WARM, right?!).

There will be some differences between CRT and Akersus according to what is normal; but of course they tell you changes can and do happen just so they have said it. Remember there is a picture package to purchase at both of these. Only at CRT the photo is with Cinderella and it's Belle at Akersus.

We did both during one trip a few years ago. I booked a dinner at CRT a couple of hours after my daughter's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique visit. Then we had breakfast at Akersus the next day before we said good-bye to the hairdo. My son didn't mind because he was a little flirty 2 year-old who ate up the attention from the princesses. Back then there were not many differences in the princess lineup other than Belle hosts at Akersus and Cinderella at CRT. Belle was at CRT too only in the blue dress. I read the yellow gown was too big for her to walk around between tables and during that trip we had a meet and greet where she twirled with my daughter and yeah that dress is huge. But I digress. From the recent reviews it looks like there are more differences now. I think Cinderella and Snow White are still at both. In exchange for him sitting through two princess meals, my daughter actively participated when we had a Disney Junior meal later in the trip.

Woohoo!

On our first trip, kiddo was close to yours in age, and we did Akershus first, then a few days later CRT. I think they were very different experiences - I wouldn’t worry at all! It’s actually very awesome that she gets to do both, and IMO I don’t think it will dilute the CRT experience doing Akershus first.

Also, there are a few of us on this thread also going to UO/the dark side, heh, this August. Maybe we can start a summer/fall thread over there for all those plans. I love UO!

Good luck on your test trip!

I don't think Akershus will ruin the CRT experience. To us being in the castle was the most fun. We like the food much better at Akershus. I would be curious for you to come back and give a review of them both.

Also we are at the CR about the same time as you - except we booked the Tower club this time. Enjoy the CR - we love it. Especially with the early ADR at CRT - being right there is wonderful.

I agree about trying resturants for yourself. We have disliked places that people suggested to us, and likewise loved places with some not great reviews. You never know until you try. This time we are trying all new places to us - Yak & Yeti, Garden Grove for the seafood buffet and Sci Fi. Excited to try new things.

Our dates for Disney and Universal are close. We are the 16-20 at Disney and 20-24 at Universal. You can share your itinerary here. Others have.

I don't think Akershus will ruin the CRT experience. To us being in the castle was the most fun. We like the food much better at Akershus. I would be curious for you to come back and give a review of them both.

Also we are at the CR about the same time as you - except we booked the Tower club this time. Enjoy the CR - we love it. Especially with the early ADR at CRT - being right there is wonderful.

Thanks! I will do both and report back. I'll go with "you can't have too many princesses." We've stayed at CR before, but never club level. I am so excited! Enjoy your trip as well.

Woohoo!

On our first trip, kiddo was close to yours in age, and we did Akershus first, then a few days later CRT. I think they were very different experiences - I wouldn’t worry at all! It’s actually very awesome that she gets to do both, and IMO I don’t think it will dilute the CRT experience doing Akershus first.

Also, there are a few of us on this thread also going to UO/the dark side, heh, this August. Maybe we can start a summer/fall thread over there for all those plans. I love UO!

Good luck on your test trip!

Awesome - that's reassuring since secretly I wanted to do both meals! :) I'd be happy to join a separate thread about the park who must not be named.

In exchange for him sitting through two princess meals, my daughter actively participated when we had a Disney Junior meal later in the trip.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, my daughter is also getting the Disney Jr meal. My poor 8 yr old son! He is so excited to finally be old enough/tall enough for all of the rides, though, so he'll be a good sport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter