The Rainbow Lounge - LGBT Chit Chat

What do we think about a Rainbow Lounge?

• Loving it, I'll be here every day. This IS now officially my new homepage on all devices!

• I'm in between. Fun idea but I don't really have much to say at the moment *puts it on watched*

• What's this? I chit chat where ever I want.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back to how did we meet in the good old days, those of us who were lucky enough to live someplace with a thriving LGBTx community had social organizations beyond the bars. I met DH at an employee group, we participated in the outdoors group (hiking, cycling, etc.), and found LGBTx fandom in the SF community.

But I was lucky that as a software engineer, I was able to find jobs in the progressive parts of the country.

Last day of work before my spontaneous decision to play hooky on hump day... and wow, I dunno why, but I have completely been mailing it in the past couple of weeks. I think I'm just burned out at work. I have no desire to be here, no desire to work, no focus... it sucks. I'm getting behind on stuff, too, which is no good. I'm hoping if I take tomorrow to lounge by the pool it will recharge my batteries a little.

Yep! You are! Welcome, that is. :)

Sit down, have a cup of coffee (or Jack Daniels) and tell us about yourself!

Thanks! Let's see... I live in New York, work in real estate but my passion lies more in the arts. I went to film school and am a big fan of live theater. I am engaged to a wonderful lady who is accepting of me. I grew up in Florida so Disney World was always a big part of my life, but it wasn't really until 2007 or so when I re-discovered it as an adult and fell in love with it.

I will definitely say that back in college when I was going to gay bars here and there that it was definitely hard to fit in. I'm not a fit guy and I'm more of a nerd so it was tough to often get overlooked. But as I've grown older I've become more comfortable in my skin and have met some like-minded people. Anyways...

People always talk about how hard women have it, in terms of body image, and all the pressures of eating disorders, airbrushing, marketing tactics, but I think men have it just as rough.

How are the wedding plans coming? :)

I dunno I always "fit in" with the inner gays but I was also super duper fat in high school. As such anyone who was formerly a fattie I think treats those with body images a bit more respectful.

Does anyone else wanna post their photos so we can have some ideas of our friends here? Mine is obviously in my profile...as you can see I have bigger arms than Chip :p

I was trying to put here a more "Disney" photo of me, but today my computer is not collaborating with me :sad:

I was trying to put here a more "Disney" photo of me

The most recent picture I have of me at Disney was back in 2000. Also, that was with my now ex. So those pictures won't be happening. :-) Will just have to wait until my trip in October to hopefully find a picture I like to use.

People always talk about how hard women have it, in terms of body image, and all the pressures of eating disorders, airbrushing, marketing tactics, but I think men have it just as rough.

How are the wedding plans coming? :)

They are coming slowly, but I think we are about to ramp up the action and make some decisions. Looking at about a year from now for the big day. Thanks for asking.

And yes, from my experience, at least in the gay community, body image, perception, style, etc. can be hard to handle if you aren't picture perfect. Granted, there are different communities where it can be easier to fit in but you still have to be that very specific type and be accepted by that community. I was blatantly told a few times at various bars (keeping in mind this was a decade+ ago) to leave because I was too fat. This wasn't by the staff, of course, but by patrons who just wanted me out of the way. It does wonders for one's self esteem!

I was blatantly told a few times at various bars (keeping in mind this was a decade+ ago) to leave because I was too fat. This wasn't by the staff, of course, but by patrons who just wanted me out of the way. It does wonders for one's self esteem!
Ouch! That's horrible! That's one thing our community needs to improve on. Supporting and accepting our differences. Especially when we want the world to accept us. It's hypocritical otherwise. :)

Hi y'all!
Back at work tommorow so here for my Disney dose to cheer myself up lol, how's everyone doing?!
Disney Pictures are a great idea! Take me a while to dig one out though!

You're never too fat to hang out with me or socialize with me I take you as you are.

...as long as I can eat off your plate too because I'm indecisive it's all good!

WOO! I love seeing all the new people in this subforum! Welcome everyone. :)

:grouphug:

I happily second to that! :love:

It's been a few busy days for me, so I haven't really had time to check in here as often as I would like to. :surfweb:

But logging in this morning made me so happy! So glad to see that more and more members have found their way to The Lounge! :grouphug:

This sure is going to be The Place To Be at the LGBT Section! :rainbow:

:thanks:

Kia ora from New Zealand!

I'm Karen (29) and my DFi is Nikki (30). We're originally from the UK (Reading, Berkshire) (well, my DFI is Zimbabwean, but moved to the UK when she was 16) and we emigrated to NZ in May 2015 seeking an adventurous and different lifestyle filled with stunning scenery! We live in Rotorua, which is situated in the North Island and our town is particularly known for it's geothermal activity. We love it here, but we're a long way from any Disney parks!

I'm pleased to meet you all and join in the chit chat! Not quite sure where the topics have led, but I've picked up on a few over the previous pages...

Explain, in as many sentences as you care to use, why Disney is so important, or what Disney means, to you.

Disney is hugely important to me as it's a link to many happy memories with my Mum and Dad throughout my childhood. We used to visit almost every year for our annual summer holiday and have such a blast. We watched all the Disney films at home too (on video!) and were generally a family of Disney nuts! We've continued our love into my adulthood and I've now managed to get my DFi hooked too! She was adamant she'd not like the parks, but now she's just as passionate as me, which is great news!

Is it weird that I feel super uncomfortable at gay clubs...?

I used to go to gay bars/clubs when I first came out. It was the only way to meet people really, as the Internet and online LGBT groups were far and few between when I came out in 2005. I can't imagine going to one now though! It's just not my scene anymore I guess, although saying that, DFi and I are visiting LA in October and we're tempted to go to a bar in WeHo!

Anyway, happy to see where the Rainbow Lounge goes and chat with you all! :cool1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter