The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I think we had a similar topic back in January...For me, I think this one goes more with the sunscreen discussion than it does with the heat discussion. If I am out on a beautiful warm/hot sunny day, I wanna take advantage of the opportunity to even out my farmer's tan. I really do love the sun, even though I am sure it will eventual catch up to me. I do sometimes feel a little self conscious, but I don't really care what others think. Why should I? And as a guy about to turn 49...again..., I certainly don't have a perfect body but since I am out there running 100-150 miles a month, I am guessing my body is a heck of alot better than whoever might be judging me. Plus, outside of getting sun, going shirtless also means less laundry and less potential chaffing.

This is kind of where I am--I don't have anywhere near that kind of mileage yet, but whenever I think of someone judging the way I look in my running clothes, my immediate mental answer is "and which of us is training for a marathon?"

To be clear, I don't think anyone should be judging anyone else for their body regardless of fitness level. Just isn't anyone's business to be doing that. But it's a good personal confidence boost when I remember that I have a dang good reason to be out there in skin tight clothing regardless of whether anyone else likes it.

Edit: And a good reminder that even if I don't get thin doing this, even if I don't ever "look like" a runner...I'm out there doing the thing, and that's what counts.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD - When I was 16/17 I ran in a sports bra, now, no way! I was drenched in sweat today as it was freakin humid but I'd rather have a stuck tank top on than show more skin & have some a$$ catcall at me that drives by (not like it matters as it can happen in tanks too but I feel more 'safe' in a tank if that makes any sense) . I don't care what others do I'm just more comfortable in a tank.

I'm new to the running thread, been lurking for just a bit but mostly hang out on the Marathon board while prepping for Dopey 2019.

ATTQOTD: Always a shirt. Not because I care what anyone else will think, but because if I only wore a sports bra I would be looking down at the jiggling instead of ahead at the road :)

My husband runs without a shirt because these Arkansas summers are bonkers hot.

This was my question suggestion because I am also in Arkansas and am dying!

ATTQOTD: I haven't run in just a sports bra and am not offended by others running in one (or men running shirtless). I am a tad self conscious about my mid section (although that is getting better!) but this ridiculous heat is making me less concerned about my self-consciousness, lol!

Arkansas... I do not know if either one of yall are Razorback fans, but last night was a brutal way to lose. How do you feel about yalls chances tonight? I'm pulling for a SEC team taking home the trophy! Good luck!

Arkansas... I do not know if either one of yall are Razorback fans, but last night was a brutal way to lose. How do you feel about yalls chances tonight? I'm pulling for a SEC team taking home the trophy! Good luck!
Thank you! We would say the same about LSU! I think??... ;)

Family has been there for the games and we really hope it works out well. Arkansas needs at least one sport to be excited about.

I thought it was horrible but do think we will win tonight. :)

I was rooting for Arkansas, I hope they pull it out tonight! Last night they lost momentum though so who knows. And we aren't supposed to get rain so that's a plus after all the delays.

Yes!!! I made a hair appointment for July 5th, so that pretty much determined that I will not go past July 4th. One year I went to Labor Day, but I'm jut not feeling that this year. Crazy to think that after the steak I will start building mileage for January! AHH!
I am going to push mine out until Sunday, because running plan anyway, and that's only one extra 1 miler on Friday. But I am looking forward to some rest days again omg.
And YES MARATHON TRAINING!!!!! January is gonna be here before we know it!

ATTQOTD: I haven't run in anything less than a tank top/singlet but I've thought about it. I don't mind if others do so.

When I did Bay to Breakers this year, well, in accordance with tradition there were those that ran it completely au naturale which was definitely not my thing.

Plus, outside of getting sun, going shirtless also means less laundry and less potential chaffing.

Hmmm, based on my experience, less clothing leads to more chaffing, but the less laundry is appealing.... maybe not worth the sunscreen trade off....

Edit: And a good reminder that even if I don't get thin doing this, even if I don't ever "look like" a runner...I'm out there doing the thing, and that's what counts.

It took more than a year for me to realize this 'look like a runner' thing is BS. I got passed by and passed college age girls that 'look like a runner' just this morning. I think it hit home when a saucony branded vehicle started dropping a kid off at our daycare. I had no idea who it was and assumed it was another parent. I actually decided it was someone else based solely on their physique. Then I realized (by internet sleuthing, because I fear people) the woman who is mostly the same shape I am, who also bemoans packing preschool lunch, can also finish a half in a monsoon at an average 6:00/mile. At that point I thought "I guess I look like a legit 40ish mom runner, too?" Maybe in another year I will accept some other silly fear (like nice moms of my kids friends thinking I am a joke and shouldn't bother to run?) is also BS.
But I probably will still want a shirt that covers my back because sunscreen.

QOTD: Keeping with our theme yesterday and also a timely suggestion from a fellow poster we have the following question. Ladies, will you run in just a sports bra if it is hot? Gentlemen, will you go shirtless? And if not, why? Do you find it offensive? Or just not for you?
No I never go shirtless mainly because I’m insecure...

I ran on the trail shirtless for part of my run this week, first time in awhile. I always start with a shirt on and have it ready to put back on if I start to see too many people. At the tender age of 60, my mantra is almost always "Keep America beautiful; put on a shirt"

As a lifelong competitive swimmer, I got over being conscious of my body a long time ago. I still normally wear a sleeveless tank when I run in the warm weather, but have run shirtless the few times I mistakenly go out in my long-sleeve shirt only to find out its not that cold once I get going....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter