The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: While I did some walking and other light stuff, today was my first actual run post Dopey. I've learned (the hard way) over the years that while I might feel ok, my body (really my joints) need some extra rest after a marathon effort. That extended recovery I always find myself having to do is one of the reasons why I'm thinking of giving the distance a break for awhile. Of course I know being on these boards that break will probably end when MW registration opens up.

ATTQOTD: My training plan has me recovering a full three weeks post-marathon. I've done a few short runs during that time, my first being about four days after and just a mile easy. Since, it's been once or twice a week and no more than 3 miles. I did add strides in yesterday. Next week I transition to maintenance and then training for a 10K in April. Looking forward to less mileage and more speed work for a while!

Weird question about a race cancellation. My husband and I were signed up for a local 5k this morning. The race ended up cancelled (after we waited in the cold for 50 minutes) due to flooding on the course. I get that they can’t control that, and we made the best of it by doing our own scenic 5k.

The registration was $25 each, so not expensive but not insignificant either. They’re not offering refunds but giving free entry to another one of their races. The catch is that it has to be used by April. That’s only 2 months and the location of their races is not super convenient for me.

I’m thinking of asking if I can have 6 months instead. Does that sound reasonable or would you just let it go.
Totally reasonable

Attqotd: historically I have stopped running after my big race, which used to be wine and dine. Me and the ex would usually be mid-move to our winter home for work and I would transition to snowboarding.
Now that I live here full time, my biggest race was last August and I took a couple of days off then started easy running again.

QOTD: After a big race, when do you get back to training?

ATTQOTD: Except for one time when I really messed up my knee during a marathon, I try to take a walk (Disney Parks also applies here!) later in the day of the race and a 3-5 mile recovery run the next day.

The reason for the walk is that when I ran my very first half-marathon (many, many, many years ago), I went straight to a friends house afterwards and we then went to a baseball game. I sat there for 3-4 hours without moving and it really messed me up in my knees/thighs. The half marathon was in April in Cleveland (very cold) and I had problems the rest of the spring and the summer that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with having sat for so long after the run.

I've read about the recovery runs in several running magazines/blogs and it has worked well for me. It has become part of "the process".

Update on my cancelled race issue. They must have heard from other people because there was an email today and I didn't even have to contact them. They're now offering free entry into any of their races for this year and no longer limiting it to races before April. This seems like a much better resolution and I'm pretty happy they corrected it without me having to contact them.

I'd consider the big race, the "A" race/end of the training cycle. If that's the case, then I usually take off around 7 days for a HM and 14 days for a M. It's primarily to aid in recovery, but also to help allow my training load to drop far enough such that when I hit peak training in the next training cycle I'm actually in "optimal training".

Training Load Calculations (What happens when the next cycle starts?): Part 3

But returning to actually running isn't quite the same as actual training for me. So I usually ascribe to the "# of days off = # of days return". So if I take off 14 days post-marathon, then I only have easy running for 14 days following that. So a total time period of 28 days (14 off + 14 only easy). Based on data from the past, it takes my HRvPace relationship about 42 days to return to normal after a hard marathon effort.

How long does it take for me to recover from a marathon?

ATTQOTD: I ran on 2 easy miles on Friday after running Goofy. I ran five days last week all at an easy pace for a total of 18 miles. It wasn’t an all out effort for Goofy so I felt fine with the few days I took off. I would have been out there today, but a migraine has knocked me on my butt.

Up to a half I don’t usually skip any days, just go easy. After dopey I skipped my tues and thurs then ran a 5K that Saturday, followed by a very easy tues, thurs. Now I’m back to normal with 8 miles this past weekend

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: As others have alluded to, I see a difference between training and running. For easy running, I do a sort of reverse taper. For training I wait around 2 weeks after a HM and 3 weeks after a full M.

I was not diverted during the Disney M, but ended up behind (a few thousand?) runners who were and we all had to walk a couple of miles since there were simply too many bodies on too narrow a sidewalk. Although it killed my time, it was probably for the best, and I felt much better physically the next day than I have after other marathons. So.... I did a last minute sign up and ran the F^3 Lake HM along the Chicago Lakefront on Saturday (13 days post M). I ended up running it at a faster pace than easy/long run, but it felt good.

ATTQOTD:
I tend to follow a simple plan of about a week for a half marathon and two weeks for a full marathon. I do not run during this time but do walk and bike. When I was running ultras I would push the recovery time to three weeks or simply when my body started to say “let’s go for a run”.

After this MW I was expereince a lot of hip pain. Went to the doctor last week as I was just getting anxious about the length of time my hip was continuing to ache. I was very fearful of a stress fracture or something serious. X-rays back today, all is good! No stress fractures! I will be going back to PT in February and March to work on some range of motion and stiffness. So relieved. I have decided to give my self some time to really recover so will keep it shut down until March. I will supplement with walking, biking and strength training. From there it will be a slow build to a fall race.

I reverse taper the week after a half - this year I did an easy bike ride the day after; then I did an easy run that Monday. By Friday I did 4 miles and was back running. I have been more affected by the weather than physical frankly.

ATTQOTD: A trainer told me « At your age (I am 45 BTW), recovery is as important as training ». I try to keep walking right after a race and so far I do not hurt at all in the following days 🤞🏻When I run a challenge, I usually choose which distance I will race and which I will go easy. Same goes if I have races no far apart (two weeks). Besides that, I usually go by no running for a week after a half and for two weeks after a full. I do so by respect for a body who takes 50k impacts in one race without complaining. Then I introduce slow recovery runs leading into a new training cycle.

For example, I resumed running this Sunday after completing Dopey two weeks ago and I did a whooping 2 miles at easy pace. I will probably go for a 4 miles tomorrow with some strides. Next week will be number one of my 16 weeks plan in preparation for the Lumberjack Challenge May 23-24.

ETA: Fun graph

For a race in the 15k/10 mile/half marathon range I will typically take 5-7 days off. For shorter distances I may take an extra day off or I might just continue training as normal. After the 2020 marathon I am taking a full 2 weeks and plan on returning to running tomorrow. I felt like this was my big chance for a break! My first few runs back are usually lower in mileage and slower in pace until I feel 100%.

Long time lurker first time poster!

I usually try to get a really easy run in the same week as a race, be it a full or half. Usually just 30 mins of easy pace. I have been a run/ walker for several years, so I usually lengthen my walk break a little bit for a couple of weeks afterward, depending upon how long it is to the next race.

I ran the DM 2 years ago ( my only marathon so far) and wound up only doing the 30k or so steps per day that is a normal Disney Park day for the rest of the week! 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter