The Running Thread -- 2022

Garmin Connect also has a mileage tracking feature for shoes and other gear. I use it to track the mileage on my shoes and the custom insoles my PT makes me, so I know when it's time for a new set.
I love technology like this!

Made it home yesterday. Doing well, HR hanging around 70. Kiddos were very happy to have dad home and I was happy to see them.
Happy to hear! I know Afib can be scary. A little encouragement here. DH had atrial flutter and Afib. It started 15 miles into a 20 mile training run. After a trip to the ER (it stopped before he got there), they diagnosed SVT. About a year later, it hit at mile 17 of the Disney marathon, and we walked it in. Then it started happening more and more often. He was able to continue running using run/walk to keep the heart rate lower in general and pure walking if it started during a run. Result: after two ablations and a little healing time, no more atrial flutter or Afib in the past couple of years. Through it all, he’s still Perfectly Goofy! Hope you are able to run with doctor’s okay, whether the Afib resolves itself, through medication, through surgery, or whatever keeps you healthy.

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones?
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races?
5. Gels or chews?
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland?
without headphones. When I zone out and forget if I am on lap 1 or 3 the time/distance feature is helpful. Also, I almost always am squeezing a run in before need to get to work, a meeting, or pick up kids so knowing when I am slow and need to cut it short is essential.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
I would probably pick 0°F because at 100°F I need to remove more clothing and apply even more sunscreen. But lately my toes are cold numbed by 0.5 miles and not better by mile 3 so in reality I would probably stick to the dreadmill.
music. I trip over my feet listening to a podcast on the treadmill, I do not think it would go better outside.
meh, I do not really love racing. Probably rD because it is easier to convince kids/husband I am going to disappear for a chunk of time and not ruin their morning.
5. Gels or chews?
honey stinger chews
Tokyo Disneyland. It is cleaner, everyone sits down for parades, no one puts kids on their shoulders, better IASW and Pooh.
But in North America, probably DL because I visit other SoCal things/friends at the same time.

Garmin Connect also has a mileage tracking feature for shoes and other gear. I use it to track the mileage on my shoes and the custom insoles my PT makes me, so I know when it's time for a new set.
I was today years old when I learned about that feature. I've been doing my tracking the spreadsheet, but now that I know about it, I'll update my Connect to also track it. Thanks for the heads-up.

without headphones. When I zone out and forget if I am on lap 1 or 3 the time/distance feature is helpful. Also, I almost always am squeezing a run in before need to get to work, a meeting, or pick up kids so knowing when I am slow and need to cut it short is essential.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
I would probably pick 0°F because at 100°F I need to remove more clothing and apply even more sunscreen. But lately my toes are cold numbed by 0.5 miles and not better by mile 3 so in reality I would probably stick to the dreadmill.
music. I trip over my feet listening to a podcast on the treadmill, I do not think it would go better outside.
meh, I do not really love racing. Probably rD because it is easier to convince kids/husband I am going to disappear for a chunk of time and not ruin their morning.
5. Gels or chews?
honey stinger chews
Tokyo Disneyland. It is cleaner, everyone sits down for parades, no one puts kids on their shoulders, better IASW and Pooh.
But in North America, probably DL because I visit other SoCal things/friends at the same time.
You mention sunscreen. I ordered some small foil packets off Amazon that I could tuck into my running belt. $6 for 25 packets. With my fair skin, I normally go for SPF 80, SPF100, lead shielding, etc., but SPF 30 was the highest I could find. That said, with the lower winter sun and the sun being a factor for only a few hours, 1 packet was enough for my face and arms. I waited until sometime around 10 in the morning and put it on during one of the long boring stretches. In spite of being only SPF 30, it seemed to do the trick since I wasn't relying on it for peak sun hours.

For most races I'll put on sunscreen when I get out of the car right before a race. Disney is the only time I've had where such a large portion of a race was in darkness or early morning to where I didn't want to be wearing sunscreen for 6-8 hours before it was needed. Now that I have them, I'll tuck a packet or two in a pocket if I'll be out in a situation where I may want to add more sunscreen but don't want to tote a bottle of it with me.

YMMV

You mention sunscreen. I ordered some small foil packets off Amazon that I could tuck into my running belt. $6 for 25 packets. With my fair skin, I normally go for SPF 80, SPF100, lead shielding, etc., but SPF 30 was the highest I could find. That said, with the lower winter sun and the sun being a factor for only a few hours, 1 packet was enough for my face and arms. I waited until sometime around 10 in the morning and put it on during one of the long boring stretches. In spite of being only SPF 30, it seemed to do the trick since I wasn't relying on it for peak sun hours.

For most races I'll put on sunscreen when I get out of the car right before a race. Disney is the only time I've had where such a large portion of a race was in darkness or early morning to where I didn't want to be wearing sunscreen for 6-8 hours before it was needed. Now that I have them, I'll tuck a packet or two in a pocket if I'll be out in a situation where I may want to add more sunscreen but don't want to tote a bottle of it with me.

YMMV
I will keep an eye out for those!
I generally feel old and crochety when I see people running or swimming and think "I have zero time to make sure I cover all of my skin for that!" I have turned my children into old people as one now requests a long sleeve rash guard as it gets us to the pool faster.

Thanks for this tip. Just found this! Very cool. Now I have the justification to buy new shoes when it's time! LOL.

You mention sunscreen. I ordered some small foil packets off Amazon that I could tuck into my running belt. $6 for 25 packets.

The little packets are a great idea! I am super fair as well but usually race during the winter so I am pretty well covered and just have to do facial sunscreen so I haven’t come up against planning for sunscreen during a longer race yet. My sunny runs at home, it’s so easy to sunblock up before I head out but I agree, I don’t want to put on sunblock a few hours before the sun comes up! I’ll have get a few of these for my little running stuff stash!

Earlier in this thread someone recommended runsmart. I signed up a couple of weeks ago and have been doing 2 workouts and 1 yoga a week. I haven’t done dedicated strength training in a couple of years. I rock climb 1-2 days a week so I don’t consider myself to be weak, but those workouts pack a punch! I really like that they are short as it makes it easier for me to work them into my schedule but the targeted muscles are still fatigued at the end. I can tell I am hitting some weak spots and I feel like over the next couple of months I will really be able to see the results of the work I am putting in now.

Earlier in this thread someone recommended runsmart. I signed up a couple of weeks ago and have been doing 2 workouts and 1 yoga a week. I haven’t done dedicated strength training in a couple of years. I rock climb 1-2 days a week so I don’t consider myself to be weak, but those workouts pack a punch! I really like that they are short as it makes it easier for me to work them into my schedule but the targeted muscles are still fatigued at the end. I can tell I am hitting some weak spots and I feel like over the next couple of months I will really be able to see the results of the work I am putting in now.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it! It always amazes me that when I think I've got one thing down, Steve then adds a twist to take it up a notch.

I will be seeing Steve for what will hopefully be my last PT session and I will definitely pass along your feedback.

We've never stayed at the CBR. Is there a good running path there?
Here is my route from my stay there.

The path along the water was nice but it isn't very long. I looped past the Riviera twice and that run was only 3.27 miles. I could have included the roads, Sea Breeze, and Cayman Way, but didn't since I was just doing a quick run before jumping in the pool (and testing out some running shorts that were designed for a post-run dip). I run on roads all the time so even if they didn't have sidewalks I'd still use them.

We've never stayed at the CBR. Is there a good running path there?
I think it’s pretty good. It goes around the lake, and past Riviera. You can get a little extra if you add the out-and-back sidewalk into the Trinidad section. I didn't like that you had to run the boardwalk section past the main pool because that area tends to get busy.

the dotted line is the “official” path. And the extra leg you can do in the Trinidad section is on the bottom left of the sign if you’re looking at it correctly and not how it’s force-rotating it. 😂

QOTD:
What race distance do you most enjoy the *training* for? Not which race distance is your favorite, but for which distance do you find the training cycle to be the most enjoyable, and why?

I have run a whopping 6 in-person races now :crazy:, and I think the that training for the half was my favorite cycle. No super long runs to mess with my head. Some speed work, but not a lot. It all just seemed very manageable and like it wasn't a lot of work to fit into my schedule.

QOTD:
What race distance do you most enjoy the *training* for? Not which race distance is your favorite, but for which distance do you find the training cycle to be the most enjoyable, and why?

I have run a whopping 6 in-person races now :crazy:, and I think the that training for the half was my favorite cycle. No super long runs to mess with my head. Some speed work, but not a lot. It all just seemed very manageable and like it wasn't a lot of work to fit into my schedule.

QOTD: I couldn't agree more - and for the same reasons. My second choice is Dopey, only because it forces me to stay on track - no excuses. With a half I know I could skip a long run even if I shouldn't.

QOTD:

The only race I've really trained for in the past decade has been the full marathon if you mean going by an actual plan. I am planning to train for a fast 1 mile race later this year. I need to take a look at the Daniel's 1 mile plan but I want to see how much I can improve my 5:41 PR. I ran that on no specific mile training in 2019 and every other race time I've run over the past year has been faster.

ATTQOTD:
I would probably say the half marathon, although I really like running marathons. I don’t mind the weekend long runs of a marathon plan, but those before work 1.5 hour runs or 1.5-2 hour post work runs in the peak of my training schedules are hard!!

ATTQOTD: I’ve only trained for a 10K and a half, and I’ve enjoyed the training for the half more. I like the longer runs, because they get me out of the house for longer periods of time.

But I don’t think I’d want to train for anything longer because those long runs would just be too long (yes, I know I can theoretically train for a marathon without running anything longer than a half distance, but my brain would never let me believe I could do that 😆)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter