• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread -- 2022

Pertinent to practically nothing else, I think that I've mentioned before that I don't really care for long sleeves, which has kept a number of my running shirts in the dresser drawer instead of being used while running.

I finally had some prolonged conference calls where I could leave myself on mute while I worked (no, I didn't whistle...) and finally got my 2022 shirts modified.

As noted before, working with moisture-wicking material is a pain in the posterior, but what has worked is 3/8" wide Heat Bond hem adhesive. I fold the hem over and tape it down with blue painters tape with the adhesive folded into the hem. Hit it with the iron to glue everything down, and then take it to the sewing machine to stick it down. The material is squirelly, so it doesn't sew as straight as OCD me would prefer, but it's good enough to wear in public. Four of the 2022 DMW shirt pictured. (I think on the Dopey shirt, you can see a fragment or two of blue tape that I missed removing. ) After stitching, back to the ironing board to fully press the hem and set any hem tape that was missed the first time. YMMV. Enjoy.
shirts.jpg

I'm officially on the sidelines for at least 3 weeks. I'm having a "stress reaction" in my foot, which is apparently a precursor to a stress fracture. I'm pretty sure it's from switching shoes since the discomfort started when I changed brands a month and a half ago. After a couple of runs of breaking them in they felt good to run in, but I've slowly had discomfort when I'm not running. Stinks because I had an awesome 8+ mile run on Sunday - the kind of run that makes you remember why you love running.

I'm officially on the sidelines for at least 3 weeks. I'm having a "stress reaction" in my foot, which is apparently a precursor to a stress fracture. I'm pretty sure it's from switching shoes since the discomfort started when I changed brands a month and a half ago. After a couple of runs of breaking them in they felt good to run in, but I've slowly had discomfort when I'm not running. Stinks because I had an awesome 8+ mile run on Sunday - the kind of run that makes you remember why you love running.
I hope that you feel better soon!

Sticking my nose in here after ages away--I'm trying to get active on here again because surprise surprise, having people to talk with about running helps me remember why I run and keep doing it. Shocker.

Without going into too much off-topic detail, money's tight but my time is free right now as I've recently made the transition to self-employment and am still working on building to stability. Knowing that going into this year, I still decided to shoot for the WDW Marathon in 2023 despite the expense because I could really use the motivation for getting back in shape as well as a "win" to look forward to. As of yesterday I'm registered for the marathon, so now the pressure's on to get consistent with the training plan I've been not so consistently following since mid-February. Decided on two races for 2022, neither of which will be run for a PR: I've got a 3 mile mud run coming up in June, then a 10K in September.

If anyone remembers me from before I wandered off for more than a year, you remember right: this is my fourth year in a row attempting to train for the WDW Marathon, and the second time I've registered for it (cancelling the attempt that year wasn't my fault, at least--that would have been the 2021 Marathon Weekend). I'm trying to have confidence, or at least to remind myself that I'm out more than $200 for no reason if I don't run the race. I've been having some really good runs lately, though, probably because I finally replaced my shoes after running in the last pair waaaay longer than I should have.

Anyway, hi! I'm planning to poke my nose in at least every week from here out.

Sticking my nose in here after ages away--I'm trying to get active on here again because surprise surprise, having people to talk with about running helps me remember why I run and keep doing it. Shocker.

Without going into too much off-topic detail, money's tight but my time is free right now as I've recently made the transition to self-employment and am still working on building to stability. Knowing that going into this year, I still decided to shoot for the WDW Marathon in 2023 despite the expense because I could really use the motivation for getting back in shape as well as a "win" to look forward to. As of yesterday I'm registered for the marathon, so now the pressure's on to get consistent with the training plan I've been not so consistently following since mid-February. Decided on two races for 2022, neither of which will be run for a PR: I've got a 3 mile mud run coming up in June, then a 10K in September.

If anyone remembers me from before I wandered off for more than a year, you remember right: this is my fourth year in a row attempting to train for the WDW Marathon, and the second time I've registered for it (cancelling the attempt that year wasn't my fault, at least--that would have been the 2021 Marathon Weekend). I'm trying to have confidence, or at least to remind myself that I'm out more than $200 for no reason if I don't run the race. I've been having some really good runs lately, though, probably because I finally replaced my shoes after running in the last pair waaaay longer than I should have.

Anyway, hi! I'm planning to poke my nose in at least every week from here out.
Good luck with the new boss.... ;-)

Yeah, I found that rejoining was great for getting mentally pumped up and prepared for DMW, not to mention accidentally learning something every now and then.
And training was the sanity break every afternoon to get out of the house and away from the work computer (still not back to the office yet)

I'd say to make sure to stick to the training plan, and If you don't like it, DopeyBadger apparently creates some good ones. And depending on just how hard you want to train, you can search for my HARM (TM) method on these boards (my somewhat more laid back training method, but one that got me through this past marathon weekend in good shape).

I can't emphasize enough to people how big a difference it has made for me to not be cheap and invest in (2) good pairs of running shoes. I alternate wearing them for runs and I change out of them as soon as I'm done running. I have retired running shoes and el cheapos that I wear around the house, for walking, or yardwork. I save the nice running shoes for running.

It had been ten years since I had last run at Disney, but I enjoyed getting trained up for it and this past January was a blast. I don't think I'll be there in Jan 2023, but get ready and prepare to have fun.

My 2-cents worth. YMMV

Good luck with the new boss.... ;-)

Yeah, I found that rejoining was great for getting mentally pumped up and prepared for DMW, not to mention accidentally learning something every now and then.
And training was the sanity break every afternoon to get out of the house and away from the work computer (still not back to the office yet)

I'd say to make sure to stick to the training plan, and If you don't like it, DopeyBadger apparently creates some good ones. And depending on just how hard you want to train, you can search for my HARM (TM) method on these boards (my somewhat more laid back training method, but one that got me through this past marathon weekend in good shape).

I can't emphasize enough to people how big a difference it has made for me to not be cheap and invest in (2) good pairs of running shoes. I alternate wearing them for runs and I change out of them as soon as I'm done running. I have retired running shoes and el cheapos that I wear around the house, for walking, or yardwork. I save the nice running shoes for running.

It had been ten years since I had last run at Disney, but I enjoyed getting trained up for it and this past January was a blast. I don't think I'll be there in Jan 2023, but get ready and prepare to have fun.

My 2-cents worth. YMMV
My training plan for 2022 is basically the official Galloway plan for the WDW Marathon with a Galloway 10K plan preceding it - the Galloway method worked for me before, so I'm just plugging along with it now. I know there are methods that actually have lower mileage, but fewer runs per week makes it easier to convince my new boss to let me step out of the office. ;) Funny how psychology works. I might re-examine what I'm doing, but I want to be totally settled on a plan in the next month or two to avoid jumping back and forth between methods.

Re: the shoes...yeeeah. I need to find somewhere local that sells Hokas so I can try on whatever the latest version of the Arahi is, because my "new" shoes are an old pair of unused Arahis I found in the back of my closet. Not sure which version they are but I'm sure they're outdated now and I'll want to make sure the current version fits before I stock up. My choices are a little limited since I'm a woman with big feet; for me women's shoes don't come big enough and most men's shoes are sloppy in the heel.

My choices are a little limited since I'm a woman with big feet; for me women's shoes don't come big enough and most men's shoes are sloppy in the heel.
Size 10.5 women's shoe here! After some blistering and a toenail issue, I switched to a wide-width (even though I don't have a wide heel....just needed more room in the forefoot) if I cinch things down and lace my shoes with a heel lock I don't have any major issues with the heel being too loose. A men's new balance in narrow would be the same as a women's standard width as well, which could give you more options if you can find a NB shoe that works for you.

Hello! I stumbled on this forum while looking for details on WDW marathon weekend as I managed to snag a marathon bib for 2023. I'm very excited but also a little nervous because this will be my first marathon. I've done several half marathons so I'm not new to running, but I would love any advice for a first-time marathoner!

Hello! I stumbled on this forum while looking for details on WDW marathon weekend as I managed to snag a marathon bib for 2023. I'm very excited but also a little nervous because this will be my first marathon. I've done several half marathons so I'm not new to running, but I would love any advice for a first-time marathoner!

Welcome to the group....and the madness that is Run Disney. There are the usual runner caveats to consider: set realistic expectations, find a good training plan, train according to your current fitness. To these I would add: plan to complete your first marathon without burdening yourself with a time goal. A marathon is a big jump from a half, and it will feel that way. And if you haven't done a Disney race before, I would also add: think about the "Disney Vacation" part of your trip a little differently from a non-running trip. You need to keep yourself in good shape (good food, sleep, no excessive miles on the legs), which can be a challenge if you like to do "all-Disney, all-day" kind of activities.

Finally, there will be opportunities to meet, greet, drink and even run with people from this forum. Take advantage of them. It is a fun group of nice people.

Hi, everyone! I’m rejoining the thread because like someone else said, it’s a great motivator :). I also joined a local running group for their 5k training so I meet up with the group for a run twice per week. It’s been a long time since I’ve run regularly so it seems to make sense to start back at the beginning with training. So far, so good! This week is the third week of training with the group and I’ve been enjoying it.

To these I would add: plan to complete your first marathon without burdening yourself with a time goal.
Yes, definitely, especially since apparently I should plan for character stops throughout the race! I will be happy as long as I finish :)

And if you haven't done a Disney race before, I would also add: think about the "Disney Vacation" part of your trip a little differently from a non-running trip. You need to keep yourself in good shape (good food, sleep, no excessive miles on the legs), which can be a challenge if you like to do "all-Disney, all-day" kind of activities.
Luckily for me, my parents live in Orlando, so this will just be part of my normal holiday visit. Downside, I won't be on property for the very early wake-up call, but on the bright side, I can bring my dog and don't have to pay for a hotel or cram all my Disney time into a few days!

Finally, there will be opportunities to meet, greet, drink and even run with people from this forum. Take advantage of them. It is a fun group of nice people.
From my obsessive reading of various threads in the past couple of days (lol), everyone seems great! I hope I'll have a chance to meet some of you in January.

Yes, definitely, especially since apparently I should plan for character stops throughout the race! I will be happy as long as I finish :)

Luckily for me, my parents live in Orlando, so this will just be part of my normal holiday visit. Downside, I won't be on property for the very early wake-up call, but on the bright side, I can bring my dog and don't have to pay for a hotel or cram all my Disney time into a few days!

From my obsessive reading of various threads in the past couple of days (lol), everyone seems great! I hope I'll have a chance to meet some of you in January.
Welcome! If you haven’t already, check out the Marathon Weekend thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2023.3863625/

Size 10.5 women's shoe here! After some blistering and a toenail issue, I switched to a wide-width (even though I don't have a wide heel....just needed more room in the forefoot) if I cinch things down and lace my shoes with a heel lock I don't have any major issues with the heel being too loose. A men's new balance in narrow would be the same as a women's standard width as well, which could give you more options if you can find a NB shoe that works for you.
Oooh, thank you! I will definitely look into that; it'd be good to have multiple options. I do use a heel lock in lacing my shoes and that helps some. I also have to wear two socks on my right foot because it's smaller than the left. The things we live with. :rolleyes2

@YawningDodo i wear a woman size 12 for running shoe. I wear regular width but depending on shoe can be narrow. My heel is small. I wear Mizuno‘s they seem a li smaller in the heel which is good for me. I too lace lock.

Welcome @WillRunForPizza and welcome back @Chaitali!:disrocks:
Thanks! Hope everyone’s doing well today :). Tomorrow is going to be the first run with the training group I’m going to miss since it started a couple weeks ago :(.

But we have an afternoon wedding to go to and the bride is getting ready at our house before hand. So the extra hour travel time to meet up with the group and get back would just make the day too complicated. But I’m promising myself I will get up early to complete the assigned run on my own in my neighborhood! Having a training plan from the group helps me stay accountable.

I have a question for @DopeyBadger and those with math skills and/or training experience: I live in South Florida which is bereft of hills. The closest I can come to a steep incline is a bridge which is a 45 minute drive from my home. Therefore, I would like to utilize the treadmill to simulate the inclines that we experience during the Disney World marathon. What should one set the incline on the treadmill in order to simulate the inclines at Disney World? I looked at the last course map and the elevation chart, but I am uncertain if my math is wrong because I believe that I would only set the incline on the treadmill to 4%. That seems to not be steep enough. Thank you in advance.
I think the steepest parts of any rD course are the on/off-ramps, and I just measured one of these ramps on the marathon course in Garmin Connect. It was right at 0.4 miles long. Assuming an elevation change of 40-50 feet, that calculates out to about 2% incline (which seems about right to me). They are not steep, but they do go on for a while. Also, the ramps are slanted (guessing a 3-5% side angle) which I think also makes running them seem a little more difficult. The side angle may be harder to simulate with a treadmill, but I'm sure it can be done (not safely though ). :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter