The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

:teacher: Pay attention class:

"I'za", as in "Where's the party? It can begin now, cuz' "I'za" here!"

"Iz'a", as in "Hoo boy, the party can start now, cuz' YOU "Iz'a" here!"

....any questions? popcorn::

I'za good. Iz'a great grammar lesson. Thanks. :thumbsup2

Ellen = College football implies that your weather is cooling down. I hope it's not as cold as last year.

Brandi - Glad you're here!! The September cook-off is just anything vegan/vegetarian at this stage. Do you have any ideas on how we could refine it further?

Thursday morning. I have to head out for a bit but aside from that, it's a day at home. I'm ...er....I'za looking forward to just a lazy day at home.
WFDT? We made pumpkin soup a couple of nights ago. It'll be great for dinner tonight.

Kim - Thanks for the grammar lesson!

Ellen - We do NOT plan on sleeping anywhere but our own house between now and October 29th. Hopefully that will not change between now and then. Enjoy your football game. Boy it seems that summer ends so much earlier for folks back East now. I always though it was after Labor Day, but so many seem to be back at it already.

PIO - Enjoy having a lazy day. Glad you already have dinner in the bag!

I thought dinner was going to be something easy and we would would a quite night. Each day Thu week I have hoped to unpack our suitcases. Of the five we brought back only one is completely empty. Every day its my plan, and every day Fran gets me out of the house to buy yet more stuff to bring in the house to put away. And then more boxes of stuff come to open up and put away. I feel like the piles will never stop!

It's 5:45. We're at Costco. We still have to go to Home Depot for plants. At this point dinner will be at 9PM and I have no idea what it will be.

Oh I am here.
What kind of veggie meal are you interested in?

Why don't we let you set the tone. Would you prefer that we made something more plant based or just a meatless dish?

Most of my meatless meals end up being somewhat heavy on the cheese, but I know something I cook often that's technically vegan, until I douse it in parmesan cheese! :rotfl2:

Ellen = College football implies that your weather is cooling down. I hope it's not as cold as last year.

Brandi - Glad you're here!! The September cook-off is just anything vegan/vegetarian at this stage. Do you have any ideas on how we could refine it further?

Thursday morning. I have to head out for a bit but aside from that, it's a day at home. I'm ...er....I'za looking forward to just a lazy day at home.
WFDT? We made pumpkin soup a couple of nights ago. It'll be great for dinner tonight.

So I will say that the dishes that I finally got David with to go meatless (vegetarian) with, was veggie stir-fry, egg drop soup with fried rice. and then Bean burritos, rice, avocado, or taco salad (without meat) salsa, and chips.

these are all vegetarian if you don't add beef fat.

His favorite dessert is tofu mousse (Very easy to make and he loves it)

I have a lentil "taco meat" recipe that is vegan that David really likes.

Why don't we let you set the tone. Would you prefer that we made something more plant based or just a meatless dish?

Most of my meatless meals end up being somewhat heavy on the cheese, but I know something I cook often that's technically vegan, until I douse it in parmesan cheese! :rotfl2:

My meals all summer have been fresh veggies, so I technically have not made a complex meal lately...

Morning everyone,

It is hotter than Hades out today already. The temp in my car as I came in at 7:40 said 78 but the terrible part is the dew points are in the 60's. YUCK!! It is miserable out there. Makes me darn glad I have an inside job and don't have to work out in it.

Alison ~ I think staying home for awhile is a good thing for you and Fran and especially the kitties.
NO it has not cooled down at all and probably won't until probably Oct. Some of the hottest days last year was during the football games. Our first game is on August 30th and I already know I will be wearing shorts!!

PIO ~ enjoy your day off. I wish I was home enjoying my day - next week, next week...............ahhhhhhhhh

Kimmar ~ Lucky you - I think I am the only one on here without a tag. :rotfl2:
I have to agree.....you Iz'a good teacher....cuz I'za can be taught!! :dance3:

Brandi ~ I am up for it and will try anything you want us to do. I even think Doug might be ok with it. I promise I will at least try. But I will have to do it during the week as we will not be home next weekend and there is NO way that I could get Matthew and the rest of my "beef eating" crew to even try it. ;)

Good grief taking a week off might have been a bad idea. :p Getting ready to be gone is hard work. But we are really really looking forward to getting out of Dodge for a bit. Just being together will be fun.

WFDT ~ I am trying Glynis' recipe tonight. I can't wait!!
Zucchini and Chicken casserole, biscuits and peach cobbler.

Make it a great day all!

Ellen - we're getting ahead of ourselves. This vegetarian meal is for September. The August meal is in the crock pot. And that is technically next weekend. The 28-30th. I still dont know what I'm going to make. I haven't used my crock pot in so long, I've forgotten what I used to cook in it. Lately I've used it mostly for keeping things warm parties and not cooking.

Last night we had hot dogs and store bought cole slaw and potato salad.

I have not used my crockpot in ages either... Mine never sealed right and everything in it would dry out and burn.

It's a slow-cook dinner this weekend. I haven't got a crock-pot but I was going to see what I could slow cook in the oven.

Woohoo it's Friday!!!

Oh I am so excited - I forgot it was crockpot month. You all know I am the crockpot queen. I LOVE love love my crockpot and use it all the time. Hummm let's see what will I fix. Decisions decisions!!

Ok I am going to get a bit mushy here but please let me. Today is a wonderful day...........My daughter, Elizabeth went in for a physical last week and the Dr. found a lump in her breast (she was concerned also) so he sent her for an immediate mammogram (she is only 34). It has been a lonnnnng week waiting, but she got the call from her Dr. late yesterday afternoon. NO CANCER!!! She will have to have another mammogram in a year and really watch but for now we are praising God. So ladies, if you haven't had your mammogram - GO GET IT!!! Thanks for letting me share we really are very thankful.

And on a completely different note - I have had my new car exactly 3 weeks and on the way into work this morning a truck passed me and WHAMMO a pit in my windshield. :mad: Doug just now took it down to the glass place and they say they can fix it. :woohoo: Oh I hope so, Matthew hasn't even seen it yet and the poor thing is already beaten and abused. We also were able to get the 6 hail pits pulled out. But REALLY!!!

I guess in the skiem of things it really isn't so bad. :lmao:

WFDT ~ Grilled Jalapeño and cheddar Brats, grilled corn and chips.

Make it a great day and an awesome weekend.

WFDT? Leftovers, and I'm having the miso soup that came with my sushi from yesterday....

Ellen - that is AMAZING and GREAT news. So happy for you and the family. Did the Dr figure out what the spot was for Elizabeth?

Kimmar - Leftovers are usually my favourite meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter