• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

US is bringing back 200-ish Americans from that province on a charter plane. First to Alaska, then to Ontario, CA...

My step mother and aunt are against vaccines. My step-mother went as far as to tell me not to get the MMR shot (I was tested in the spring and no longer have the antibodies). I am better off not getting it. I still got the shot and will get tested again this spring to make sure I have the antibodies. I was told by the doctor that for some people it doesn't always take. I get so aggravated with both of them about them. I refuse to talk to them about vaccines or illnesses the kids get. The worst is if they ever find out the kids got the gardisil vaccine.
Good for you for doing your own research and deciding what you felt was best. I’ve found that people whose parents don’t do vaccines often keep on the same way. Not everyone, of course, but it can be hard to go against your family’s beliefs.

I find it immensely frustrating to see efforts and resources put into vaccine development, just to see those vaccines discredited by people to feed their own sense of self-importance or to sell books, lectures, and nutritional supplements (mind you, I’m NOT talking about the very small percentage of kids with actual, severe sensitivities to certain vaccine ingredients or family history of serious vaccine reactions... those rely even more about your and my willingness to vaccinate whenever possible).
I don't think that this is an appropriate place to demean other peoples beliefs.

And before I get flamed: I do believe in and have vaccinated myself and my children.

However, I've done the research, and I can see why people are concerned. The people I know that have issue with forced vaccinations (we live in California as well) are NOT "trying to feed their own sense of self-importance....." Some of them work in the health industry, are highly educated, and have seen first hand the negative effects of vaccination, and don't want to risk finding out the hard way that their children are in the "very small percentage of kids with actual, severe sensitivities..."

You are entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to your judgemental thoughts, but this is a Disneyland discussion board. Not the place to belittling others.

People here are freaked out about then coronavirus because of movies like Contagion that scare the living daylight out of us because that technically could happen. It’s new and unfamiliar. And scary!

Last edited:

I don't think that this is an appropriate place to demean other peoples beliefs.

And before I get flamed: I do believe in and have vaccinated myself and my children.

However, I've done the research, and I can see why people are concerned. The people I know that have issue with forced vaccinations (we live in California as well) are NOT "trying to feed their own sense of self-importance....." Some of them work in the health industry, are highly educated, and have seen first hand the negative effects of vaccination, and don't want to risk finding out the hard way that their children are in the "very small percentage of kids with actual, severe sensitivities..."

You are entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to your judgemental thoughts, but this is a Disneyland discussion board. Not the place to belittling others.
I agree with you that this is NOT a good place for discussing this topic in detail. I did not mean to “demean” or “belittle” anybody and sincerely apologize if what I wrote came across that way. Just to clarify: my issue is NOT with medical exemptions but with “philosophical exemptions” inspired by greedy fear mongers such as the British physician Andrew Wakefield, who deliberately discredited the measles vaccine to push his own, competing product, who lost his license to practice medicine in Britain due to ethics violations, but who still makes a lot of money here spreading his long debunked misinformation. Again, I agree with you that this is not the proper forum for getting into this any further and will be happy to drop this if you are.

If you want to share some of your information privately per PM, I promise to listen.

US is bringing back 200-ish Americans from that province on a charter plane. First to Alaska, then to Ontario, CA...

There are still close to a thousand US citizens in Wuhan with no plans for another flight out. Besides the virus, the biggest issue is lack of access to food and fear of going to medical facilities for non-virus related health concerns. Some stores have workers stationed at their entries and are turning people away if they look sick. That’s a huge problem for everyone there now, not just US citizens.

Now if Disney could just make it cool by making masks that are disney themed!

They already make them! My niece was in the hospital with pneumonia for a week a couple weeks ago and she had a disney character face mask. Also, my husband got one at the Naval Hospital in Okinawa when he went to the ER recently. Had the fab five on them.

They already make them! My niece was in the hospital with pneumonia for a week a couple weeks ago and she had a disney character face mask. Also, my husband got one at the Naval Hospital in Okinawa when he went to the ER recently. Had the fab five on them.
I guess I should say - they should sell the in the park - I haven't seen them there.

I continue to maintain that the flu is a much more real and severe risks for all Americans than the corona virus at this point. CDC information regarding complications from the novel corona virus can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html. The corona virus is not deadly to everyone who catches it. Severity can range from mild to extreme—just like the flu.

However, in comparison to the 5 US cases of corona virus and 6,171 cases worldwide (according to the above chart), the CDC estimates 15 MILLION flu cases so far this year, including 140,000 hospitalizations, and 8,200 deaths—i.e., there have been more deaths from flu this year than the total number of people reported to have even contracted corona virus. This information can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm. And the flu is VERY contagious, including from person-to-person transmission, and is easily spread before the infected person even knows they’re sick.

I am not trying to fear-monger with respect to the flu. My point is that most healthy people do not spend significant time worrying about contracting flu, yet are panicking about an illness that, so far, poses a far less significant threat to anyone not actually traveling to Wuhan, China.

Comparing the flu statistics to the novel coronavirus statistics isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison. The new strain of coronavirus has only been around for a month and has been for the most part confined to one geographical area. The flu is worldwide, and has been around for far longer than a month. It's has the 'advantage' of time and geography to achieve those much higher numbers.

For those at Disneyland having issues with all the handwashing and cracking, go to Rinse (outside DTD behind Earl) and get some of their skin moisturizing. We discovered it at Thanksgiving and used it over Christmas and it was wonderful! First year we haven't had issues with dried out hands. They also have hand sanitizer sprays.
Thank you! I thought I was going blind because, after numerous walks through DTD, I still couldn't find the Rinse store! Now I know... and will make a stop there on our next trip.

We have always used hand sanitizer, washed hands frequently, and use wipes to wipe off tables...
Same here! Add to that, inexpensive gloves (like the kind on Amazon, $15/dozen) in jacket pockets and the backpack to use on every ride so I don't have to touch the ride vehicles. The gloves get laundered after each park visit.

FWIW - I live blocks away from the hospital in WA State where the first patient in the US was diagnosed. I walk my dog by the hospital every week and was there the same day. And we are all living our lives like normal.

Headed to the Grammys tonight so it may be awhile.

Hey, Jillian and I were just wondering if you were going to the Grammys again this year. Glad that you got the chance again. We have a trip planned for December right after Christmas. Not sure if you will be around or in Chicago at that time. We always enjoy meeting up with you for a cup of tea and good conversation.
:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter