Ticket Price Increase - Fall 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does that mean? Was planning to buy our tickets in February for our Sept vacation .
Much like the single day tickets how they are tiered the multi day tickets will also be tiered. So if you visit during peak season they will be higher than if you visit during a lesser season.

Yeah, but usually just a few days ... and then some places might have inventory of the “old” prices they will still have to go through even after the price increase.

Though if it is such a fundamental change I wonder if there is more notice - hopefully at a minimum it will “leak” out to give people a bit of time
FYI, for anyone thinking about buying old inventory. I did that after the price increase in Feb. But the 2017 tickets for full face value from undercover tourist. I then bridged them for APs and they would only give me the 2017 face value, not the 2018 face value. So I would've been better off just waiting for deals to come out on the new 2018 tickets.

I'm not 100% sure if that is completely consistent, but the guy I was dealing with at the Lobby in DS seemed to be pretty knowledgeable of the bridging process and said it changed when they added the expiration dates.

FYI, for anyone thinking about buying old inventory. I did that after the price increase in Feb. But the 2017 tickets for full face value from undercover tourist. I then bridged them for APs and they would only give me the 2017 face value, not the 2018 face value. So I would've been better off just waiting for deals to come out on the new 2018 tickets.

I'm not 100% sure if that is completely consistent, but the guy I was dealing with at the Lobby in DS seemed to be pretty knowledgeable of the bridging process and said it changed when they added the expiration dates.

makes sense - I think for the bridging they are happy to do it - but they won't give you "bonus" credit .... but thanks for bringing this up!

Has there been any thoughts on what will happen if a trip falls into two different tiers?

Has there been any thoughts on what will happen if a trip falls into two different tiers?

I could be totally wrong, but from what I read of Iger's initial comments, my assumption was that the new ticketing scheme will be very different than we are used to. More like the resort pricing. Or maybe the best comparison would be the DVC points chart... you pick the days you want to go and it tells you the ticket cost. There will be seasons, but also saturdays and Sundays cost more than Mondays, etc etc. And the tickets will be good for those days only (but probably if expired, you can apply the original value to a new ticket -- like you can now with expiring tickets). They started this type of thing in Shanghai recently and Shanghai is what Iger mentioned when he said it's coming to WDW.

In Shanghai "peak" season tickets are 40% more expensive than "regular" season ("peak" in Shanghai includes almost every weekend day of the year). And "peak holiday" is close to double the "regular" season price. Thus, I think the WDW price increases will be quite large... especially for peak times. And, as Iger said "not increasing as much" for the non-peak times.

The future is frightening: https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/ticket/#3

If people are on the fence about buying tickets now, I strongly recommend doing so.

Last edited:

makes sense - I think for the bridging they are happy to do it - but they won't give you "bonus" credit .... but thanks for bringing this up!
Yeah, I really don't have a problem with that policy at all, it is just different than it used to be. I was just annoyed (not at Disney, just in general) that I had payed full face value for 2017 tickets so I actually saved no money with this policy, where if I would've paid more for 2018 tickets that were discounted I would've actually saved money.

Again, I think it is a reasonable policy, I just lost the game this time.

I could be totally wrong, but from what I read of Iger's initial comments, my assumption was that the new ticketing scheme will be very different than we are used to. More like the resort pricing. Or maybe the best comparison would be the DVC points chart... you pick the days you want to go and it tells you the ticket cost. There will be seasons, but also saturdays might cost more than Mondays, etc etc. And the tickets will be good for those days only (but probably if expired, you can apply the original value to a new ticket -- like you can now with expiring tickets). They started this type of thing in Shanghai recently and is what Iger mentioned when he said it's coming to WDW.

In Shanghai "peak" season tickets are 40% more expensive than "regular" season. And "peak holiday" is close to double the "regular" season price. Thus, I think the WDW price increases will be quite large... especially for peak times. And, as Iger said "not increasing as much" for the non-peak times.

The future is frightening: https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/ticket/#3

If people are on the fence about buying tickets now, I strongly recommend doing so.

This could really make things interesting...If I am staying 7 nights and I want only 6 days of tickets it would be nice to have flexibility on what days I want to use them based on weather, fatigue, etc.

This could really make things interesting...If I am staying 7 nights and I want only 6 days of tickets it would be nice to have flexibility on what days I want to use them based on weather, fatigue, etc.

WDW and flexibility seem to be going together less and less

I am sure as part of a package they will let you have tickets that can be used whenever (for a small upcharge of course ... which they hope when baked into a package you don’t notice/care)

What about park hoppers? Are those then going to require an any day ticket (so a huge upcharge) and then another upcharge to be park hopping?

What about park hoppers? Are those then going to require an any day ticket (so a huge upcharge) and then another upcharge to be park hopping?
Here is my random guess. It'll be a point system like DVC. You buy a package of 200 points, and on X day MK is 75 points and EP is 65 points. Don't worry, they'll make sure you'll never be able to actually use the exact number of points you bought, so you'll leave some on the table each trip. The more points you buy, the less $/point.

What was the date last year when the tickets went up? Does anyone know the reasoning for when they do 2 increases a year vs one? Also I wonder if they may wait to increase since attendance numbers could be down with people waiting to come once Star Wars land is open.

What was the date last year when the tickets went up? Does anyone know the reasoning for when they do 2 increases a year vs one? Also I wonder if they may wait to increase since attendance numbers could be down with people waiting to come once Star Wars land is open.

They won't be waiting. Iger already announced that this IS happening this fall. This has been in the works for quite some time.

You stil should have saved *some* money if you bought from UT - the difference between the price you paid and the 2017 gate value. So not as BIG of a savings, but some.

We are going next October with my brother and his family. I bought (6) 7-day tickets before the 2018 price increase. I am pretty sure we (my family) will want to purchase APs when we go. Depending on the new pricing structure and because the savings from those 2017 tickets isn’t as great, I’m thinking I may sell the tickets we have to my brother and buy discounted 2018 tix to bridge. Of course, I’ll have to do the math once everything is announced. Or, maybe we’ll skip the bridging a multi-day ticket and just buy AP vouchers at the 2018 prices.

You stil should have saved *some* money if you bought from UT - the difference between the price you paid and the 2017 gate value. So not as BIG of a savings, but some.

We are going next October with my brother and his family. I bought (6) 7-day tickets before the 2018 price increase. I am pretty sure we (my family) will want to purchase APs when we go. Depending on the new pricing structure and because the savings from those 2017 tickets isn’t as great, I’m thinking I may sell the tickets we have to my brother and buy discounted 2018 tix to bridge. Of course, I’ll have to do the math once everything is announced. Or, maybe we’ll skip the bridging a multi-day ticket and just buy AP vouchers at the 2018 prices.
Since I bought them after the price increase, UT was selling them for their full face value, which was a discount vs 2018 prices (I think I saved $66/each). But since they didn't give me any of that in the bridge, I netted zero savings.

I would shop around now and see if you can find a good deal. If not you can wait until we hear for sure when the prices will go up and buy the day before. I believe there is usually a few days notice?

Yeah, this has me all paranoid so I'll probably be buying ASAP. I was hoping for a little more time to scrape the funds together, but I think my husband is not going to be a happy camper hearing about this tiering system. I'm getting bummed out because I was hoping to be able to take the kids every 3 or 4 years on a trip as they grow up, but even though I'm returning to work almost full time, I can't seem to keep up with the increases. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter