Ticket Price Increase - Fall 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my personal situation and the reason I started this thread...DH and I will be taking our 4 kids (10 and under) Oct31-Nov 7 2019. We never book this far out but with price increase rumors I was looking around for tickets. Then I got a quote from a TA for 2 rooms at Pop and tickets. It is a great deal and tickets are cheaper than anywhere else. But in order to add tickets to the package you have to pay in full.

Right now I have $2,000 in Sam's club gift cards that I got when Dosh was running at 10% cash back. I plan to use those regularly as I shop at Sam's but also to buy Disney gift cards online. I would need to buy another 2,000 in gift cards to pay the package in full. I wanted to wait until there was another 10% Dosh promotion which might happen around the holidays. Right now its 5% which is better than the normal 2%. I'm debating whether or not to do it now. I don't like my money tied up in gift cards. Plus I don't really like paying for a package this far out with Disney gift cards. I know we will go to Disney again so it's not a huge risk but still. Also I want to have the Disney gift cards ready when ticket increases are announced. There might only be a few days to get them at the old prices and it takes a few days to order them online. So many risks! But if it works would save about $500 or more than 10% off the quoted price.

Ugh, that is frustrating... it's hard when you have multiple kids (I have 3) and you really have to jump a million hoops to make the math work juuust right, then when you think you have it all figured out (as in your deal above), corporate seems to like to sneak up behind you and yank the rug out. I hope you're still able to save the $500, that's a big deal.

I love WDW but it's getting exhausting. I know it's a luxury, and it's expensive, but now with this tiering system I can think of a few family and friends just off the top of my head that will get wind of this tiering thing and say "Wasn't it already complicated and expensive? Forget it, we are just going to the beach".

Thanks to both of you. I really am interested in what the new structure will bring!

Based on the rollout of prices for the tiered single day tickets from 2016...Unless you are going on what is a "value" day for a single day ticket, if I were you I would get tickets now.

I expect value multi day tickets to actually go DOWN in price (only by a dollar or two ea) just for the PR spin it would give WDW.

For peak pricing multi day ticket I expect a 18% increase.

For regular pricing multi day ticket I expect a 5% increase.

Since I bought them after the price increase, UT was selling them for their full face value, which was a discount vs 2018 prices (I think I saved $66/each). But since they didn't give me any of that in the bridge, I netted zero savings.

Gotcha! :thumbsup2

Here is my random guess. It'll be a point system like DVC. You buy a package of 200 points, and on X day MK is 75 points and EP is 65 points. Don't worry, they'll make sure you'll never be able to actually use the exact number of points you bought, so you'll leave some on the table each trip. The more points you buy, the less $/point.
Interesting idea but that's not going to be the case (this time, anyway). It'll be much more akin to the current single-day tiered pricing program.

Based on the rollout of prices for the tiered single day tickets from 2016...Unless you are going on what is a "value" day for a single day ticket, if I were you I would get tickets now.

I expect value multi day tickets to actually go DOWN in price (only by a dollar or two ea) just for the PR spin it would give WDW.

For peak pricing multi day ticket I expect a 18% increase.

For regular pricing multi day ticket I expect a 5% increase.

Calendar isn't out yet for Nov 2019 but based on this years calendar our dates are 2 days value, 1 day peak, and the rest are regular. Go figure! I wonder if it will be based on what day you start using it?

Here is my personal situation and the reason I started this thread...DH and I will be taking our 4 kids (10 and under) Oct31-Nov 7 2019. We never book this far out but with price increase rumors I was looking around for tickets. Then I got a quote from a TA for 2 rooms at Pop and tickets. It is a great deal and tickets are cheaper than anywhere else. But in order to add tickets to the package you have to pay in full.

Right now I have $2,000 in Sam's club gift cards that I got when Dosh was running at 10% cash back. I plan to use those regularly as I shop at Sam's but also to buy Disney gift cards online. I would need to buy another 2,000 in gift cards to pay the package in full. I wanted to wait until there was another 10% Dosh promotion which might happen around the holidays. Right now its 5% which is better than the normal 2%. I'm debating whether or not to do it now. I don't like my money tied up in gift cards. Plus I don't really like paying for a package this far out with Disney gift cards. I know we will go to Disney again so it's not a huge risk but still. Also I want to have the Disney gift cards ready when ticket increases are announced. There might only be a few days to get them at the old prices and it takes a few days to order them online. So many risks! But if it works would save about $500 or more than 10% off the quoted price.

I'm a Disney TA and this part doesn't sound accurate to me. If you have tickets and a room ressie with a TA, that is a package, and you would only have to put down a $200 deposit PER ROOM until 30-days before check-in. This means that you need only pay $400 now (b/c you have 2 rooms) and the remainder would not be due until Oct 1st, 2019 if you're checking in on Oct 31st, 2019.
If you already have your $200 deposit down, you would not be subjected to higher ticket prices if they should change any time prior to your arrival. You are locking in your package rate. Your TA's job is to keep abreast of new promos as they are released and if something comes up that saves you money, TA should be rebooking for you, if available. Or at least that's part of the way I do a thorough job to make sure my commission is properly earned. ;)

HTH!

I'm a Disney TA and this part doesn't sound accurate to me. If you have tickets and a room ressie with a TA, that is a package, and you would only have to put down a $200 deposit PER ROOM until 30-days before check-in. This means that you need only pay $400 now (b/c you have 2 rooms) and the remainder would not be due until Oct 1st, 2019 if you're checking in on Oct 31st, 2019.
If you already have your $200 deposit down, you would not be subjected to higher ticket prices if they should change any time prior to your arrival. You are locking in your package rate. Your TA's job is to keep abreast of new promos as they are released and if something comes up that saves you money, TA should be rebooking for you, if available. Or at least that's part of the way I do a thorough job to make sure my commission is properly earned. ;)

HTH!

I understand...however this is not a normal package you book with Disney or that a TA can book for you. It is an exclusive rate room only package with the option to purchase discounted tickets so it works a bit differently.

I understand...however this is not a normal package you book with Disney or that a TA can book for you. It is an exclusive rate room only package with the option to purchase discounted tickets so it works a bit differently.

Ah, ok. Interesting. Haven't heard of that unless it is Military Rate booking, which works differently.
So you have a Room Only and tickets are being purchased separately at a discount. Now you have to take a gamble on how new ticket prices (at your discount) will compare with the savings you'd get buying the GCs you need by waiting for another GC promo, is that right?

Calendar isn't out yet for Nov 2019 but based on this years calendar our dates are 2 days value, 1 day peak, and the rest are regular. Go figure! I wonder if it will be based on what day you start using it?

Sounds like you're a great planner. From what was said after that guest survey about multi/tiering went out, you are allowed to use a peak ticket for regular or Value, but not the other way around :( !
So if you prefer to buy a 7-day ticket, you would need to pay the full peak price!
Maybe separate tickets would be cheaper if peak is like 18% higher priced than value.

Ah, ok. Interesting. Haven't heard of that unless it is Military Rate booking, which works differently.
So you have a Room Only and tickets are being purchased separately at a discount. Now you have to take a gamble on how new ticket prices (at your discount) will compare with the savings you'd get buying the GCs you need by waiting for another GC promo, is that right?

Yes you got it!

Sounds like you're a great planner. From what was said after that guest survey about multi/tiering went out, you are allowed to use a peak ticket for regular or Value, but not the other way around :( !
So if you prefer to buy a 7-day ticket, you would need to pay the full peak price!
Maybe separate tickets would be cheaper if peak is like 18% higher priced than value.

I did not know about the survey so that info is helpful!

I know it's a luxury, and it's expensive, but now with this tiering system I can think of a few family and friends just off the top of my head that will get wind of this tiering thing and say "Wasn't it already complicated and expensive? Forget it, we are just going to the beach".
In a way, that's sort of what Disney's hoping for: fewer guests paying higher prices. The diminished visiting population requires fewer resources (staff, maintenance, etc.) without significantly impacting the bottom line. The "I'll pay whatever it costs as long as I can still go to Disney World" subset is Disney's bread and butter; those visitors spend far more per capita on lodging, dining, and merchandise than the "I'll cut corners wherever I can" group.

I will add that I am not condemning this philosophy. While it is unfortunate that some families are being "priced out," the harsh reality is that Disney is a publicly traded corporation and, as such, is accountable to its shareholders. It is therefore incumbent on them to seek out ways to maximize profits and reduce costs.

Last edited:
In a way, that's sort of what Disney's hoping for: fewer guests paying higher prices. The diminished visiting population requires fewer resources (staff, maintenance, etc.) without significantly impacting the bottom line. The "I'll pay whatever it costs as long as I can still go to Disney World" subset is Disney's bread and butter; those visitors spend far more per capita on lodging, dining, and merchandise than the "I'll cut corners wherever I can" group.

I will add that I am not condemning this philosophy. While it is unfortunate that some families are being "priced out," the harsh reality is that Disney is a publicly traded corporation and, as such, is accountable to its shareholders. It is therefore incumbent on them to seek out ways to maximize profits and reduce costs.

Oh I understand... them's the breaks... I'm just on the losing end of it.

Seriously? My Family does not CARE. DVC Owners... we've already hit breakeven, already have APs through May, 2019.
WDW will do as it chooses to do. WE will decide if we wish to continue paying them.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

WE hope they jack ticket prices through the ROOF, and destroy WDW overcrowding, the only way they can.

Oh I understand... them's the breaks... I'm just on the losing end of it.

My apologies, firefly_ris--the last part of my message was not directed toward you! It was a general observation (and a retort to an attitude that seems to have become more prevalent in our society (but, thankfully, is mostly absent on the DIS); it's an attitude of entitlement and a labeling of successful corporations as evil because their primary objectives are to increase profit). I'm still a bit sour from a conversation I had with an acquaintance this morning--she was complaining that it's "not fair" that airfare is more expensive during Christmas break because everyone should have an opportunity to visit family, even if that means that the airlines take a loss. I suggested that she start an airline and become the first to offer free rides to those who claim to be visiting family during the holidays; provided that her company lasted that long. She didn't like that suggestion. :confused3

Also, I agree what you said about being on the losing end--everybody is to some extent (whether it's paying higher prices or not going at all); some are just more affected than others. That said, I'll definitely concede that the people who are being "priced out" are more significantly impacted. :goodvibes

My apologies, firefly_ris--the last part of my message was not directed toward you! It was a general observation (and a retort to an attitude that seems to have become more prevalent in our society (but, thankfully, is mostly absent on the DIS); it's an attitude of entitlement and a labeling of successful corporations as evil because their primary objectives are to increase profit). I'm still a bit sour from a conversation I had with an acquaintance this morning--she was complaining that it's "not fair" that airfare is more expensive during Christmas break because everyone should have an opportunity to visit family, even if that means that the airlines take a loss. I suggested that she start an airline and become the first to offer free rides to those who claim to be visiting family during the holidays; provided that her company lasted that long. She didn't like that suggestion. :confused3

Also, I agree what you said about being on the losing end--everybody is to some extent (whether it's paying higher prices or not going at all); some are just more affected than others. That said, I'll definitely concede that the people who are being "priced out" are more significantly impacted. :goodvibes

Oh no it's ok, I didn't take it that way at all! That's just how it is, their objective is to profit. If I am unable to go eventually them that's what will happen. Fortunately it's just a vacation spot and not anything necessary for life survival!! However I do think if they make it complicated or miserable enough, or not enough value for the money, word of mouth and reputation will eventually have an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter