Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those on the "pro" side are objecting to the hyperbole being used about dog attacks, barking dogs at 2pm or 2am, irresponsible pet owners in every room, etc. People are claiming that Disney is purposely ruining their vacation-or is willfully taken something away from them-in a spiteful manner.

Yes there are legitimate concerns, but just like anything else Disney works to mitigate those concerns. The point is people with allergies and other special needs have great days at Disney everyday. If you have a concern about an animal let Disney know and they will accommodate as best as possible. There has been a lot of fear mongering from the "anti" side.

Just pull back on the hyperbole, allow the situation to play out, and then pass judgment. Disney is in the business to make customers happy because happy customers spend money. Yet, every decision will have detractors, people unhappy that their favorite show is gone, their favorite ride closed, etc. However the masses still come and Disney still does it's best to make happy customers.
Some of it is based on personal experience at home. I have been chased by a dog & stepped in dog crap just this summer during my daily 5k. I was scared of that damn dog & then I got mad because I got scared. So I am bringing a certain set of per-conceived ideas to the situation.

& honestly, sadly, I think a lot of us have lost faith in WDW to do anything like this properly. To me this reeks of upper management throwing CMs under the bus to make a quick buck. So there is already the sense that I don’t believe Disney WILL make it right anymore should anything happen. & I guess that’s partly why we’re on b2b DCL next year & not at WDW. It’s sad.

Heather from WDW called me today, because I had emailed many Disney contacts about my concerns.
At first, she clearly was reading from a script, then we started having a real conversation.
I told her I could manage if the YC dogs stayed on YC property (we stay at Boardwalk. Leaving in 25 days). But my DS10 who has anxiety issues, including a fear of dogs, should be able to enjoy the walkways to Disney Studios and Epcot, as well as the Boardwalk without coming into contact with the dogs.
My exact words to her were "Have you seen a happy 10 year old skipping and walking 5 feet in front of their family as they go to the Bakery to fill their mugs, or walk to Disney Studios? And that kid is just full of pure joy and excitement, not a care in the world! So tell me, do we now have to worry about him seeing all of these dogs walking on those paths or must the dogs remain on YC property?"

She started to tell me they had to stay on YC property, then reminded me about the boat to the parks, which dogs can not go on. And I had to tell her that the reason we stay at Boardwalk is so that same little boy who is allergic to peanuts doesn't have to ride transportation everywhere. We can walk to 2 parks! We see a lot of peanut butter on buses and boats. She said she would pass these specific concerns on to leaders. I don't know if she will or not, but I know she spoke to me like a person and not like she was script reading.
Does anyone know if they typically call guests who email them? I know a bunch on here have gotten a call too. Is this typical?

Actually, it is not typical. Guests rarely get calls regarding a single topic like this.

Last edited:

I predict a lot of calls to local Animal Control when dogs keep barking past the 30-minute mark. I know I'd have the number in my contacts list.

I don't think the dog has to be barking for 30 minutes before you can report it to management. I think the owner has 30 minutes to rectify the situation after being notified by Disney about the noise. I certainly don't think people should call if a dog has been barking for 5 minutes though. Be reasonable.

Yes extremes on either side are counter-productive. People (all people) are almost conditioned to ignore that which doesn’t directly affect them. I have been posting over & over b/c most families are not 5 & it is easy to overlook their point of view.

Neither of these groups are your average Disney visitor we could say. And honestly? Why be angry at each other. Disney made this situation untenable.

The surprise to begin with. & they are either incompetent (believable) or they did this knowing they might upset families of 5 & PoR fans in particular. It was crappy & pitted 2 groups against one another & if they had their eye on their customer base (especially those who rave about how Dis takes care of those with allergies) this should not have happened.
I agree.

I'm not surprised by the types of comments (for the most part because some are just wow) but I'm not sure either why it's hard to see how those who have little issue with this new policy to utilize this new policy should also be able to join in and say how happy they are or to help give information on how other resorts work without someone chiming in telling them this and that (though yes not all posters say their positive comment in an amenable way though that goes for the negative comments as well). I mean I learned something new today in that I didn't realize how much more common pet-friendly hotels have become :)

And I've said over and over that the notice they gave is not fair for both sides. And we know from previous things when Disney does things with little notice..it doesn't tend to go over well.

But really yes I agree we don't need to be angry at each other.

Notify Disney of the negatives in a reasonable manner but also you shouldn't feel like you can't notify Disney of the positives in a reasonable manner either. People are encouraged both to send positive things and negative things all the time and this situation legitimately shouldn't be any different.

Heather from WDW called me today, because I had emailed many Disney contacts about my concerns.
At first, she clearly was reading from a script, then we started having a real conversation.
I told her I could manage if the YC dogs stayed on YC property (we stay at Boardwalk. Leaving in 25 days). But my DS10 who has anxiety issues, including a fear of dogs, should be able to enjoy the walkways to Disney Studios and Epcot, as well as the Boardwalk without coming into contact with the dogs.
My exact words to her were "Have you seen a happy 10 year old skipping and walking 5 feet in front of their family as they go to the Bakery to fill their mugs, or walk to Disney Studios? And that kid is just full of pure joy and excitement, not a care in the world! So tell me, do we now have to worry about him seeing all of these dogs walking on those paths or must the dogs remain on YC property?"

She started to tell me they had to stay on YC property, then reminded me about the boat to the parks, which dogs can not go on. And I had to tell her that the reason we stay at Boardwalk is so that same little boy who is allergic to peanuts doesn't have to ride transportation everywhere. We can walk to 2 parks! We see a lot of peanut butter on buses and boats. She said she would pass these specific concerns on to leaders. I don't know if she will or not, but I know she spoke to me like a person and not like she was script reading.
Does anyone know if they typically call guests who email them? I know a bunch on here have gotten a call too. Is this typical?
Yes, I have received a couple of calls concerning emails I have sent over the years. So it's not unusual.

I don't think the dog has to be barking for 30 minutes before you can report it to management. I think the owner has 30 minutes to rectify the situation after being notified by Disney about the noise. I certainly don't think people should call if a dog has been barking for 5 minutes though. Be reasonable.

I agree somewhat, but we stayed at the Kimpton Brice in Savannah in May and each morning we were there we were woken up before 6:00 am because of a dog barking in the hallway. I'm guessing the owner was taking the dog outside and it didn't last long, but the damage was done.

I feel i should state first i am a long time dog owner. Currently with a senior boxer that requires three different meds twice a day. With that said this trial thing has too many red flags. Allergies, Food, Waste, odor, ticks fleas,and noise. its not stated but im sure there is going to be restrictions on certain breeds based on weight and temperment. Ive been able to find a sitter and or board our family pet for years now. my dog has anxiety issues and will get into things if we dont gate off areas on the house. I would not want to see what she could do to a disney room.
My daughter is terrified of smaller breed dogs and to say A.O.A is a trial resort means to me one area i cant take her to in risk of her getting emotional at being near one.
Glad its a trial so disney can see everyones feedback on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter